AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, cbok said:

Hello mates!

Everybody is talking about bloodlords vs reapers of vengeance in a bloodthirsters' list.

But, what is your opinion about the new slaughterhost of baleful lords in the everchosen book?

5 bloodthirsters, run and charge...

I think it may be better against shooting lists, but you are expose to bad rolls with the bloodthirsters.

Reapers are more dangerous but you die to a shooting list. I think the decision depends of your local meta.

"Better" against a shooting list is probably accurate, but...

If you don't get to go first (and I often don't against focused shooting lists), you're still dead.  Thirsters are way too squishy.

If you do get to go first, you're still subject to a lot of die rolls.  Plus, a smart shooter will set up outside your threat range.

But yeah, I'll concede that it's slightly better against shooting.

9 minutes ago, cbok said:

@drkrash

You have reason about shooting lists.

In your 4 thirsters list, do you think the secrator is better than the 2nd slaughterpriest? Some times is difficult to get everything in range if you are not running gore pilgrims.

My Bloodlords list has 2 priests and no bloodsecrator.  It can work.  The utility of prayers goes a really long way.  I returned to using a Bloodsecrator to boost Reapers even further and remembered why people generally consider him an auto-take.  As for the "no Pilgrims" range, I don't actually have too many problems with that.  I generally clump the Thirsters together.  Usually, that's fine.  I did just suffer a loss this weekend against KO that would have gone better if the Thirsters split up more.  But even then, I would have kept the secrator as close as possible to the one I needed to do the most damage.  (Unfortunately, it wasn't Skarbrand.  My friend -victimized so enough by Skar before - made sure to shoot him off the board in the 1st round.)

tl;dr: I think you can do alright with both set-ups, but if one of your 4 is Skarbrand, strongly consider the Bloodsecrator.

11 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

If I could fit any other battalion in with the 5 Thirster Tyrants I would certainly run it.   But it would end up being 5-6 drops, which sort of seems to negate the chutzpah of the Tyrants battalion.   

It's possible, at least if I'm not overlooking anything new.

5 cheap Thirsters with Tyrants + minimum Brass Despoilers (Lord  and 3x Gors), that's 1980p.

Another way would be forgoing Tyrants and pressing everything into a Blood Hunt battalion. Somewhat besides the point but it's a choice after all.

For a 4 Thirster Tyrant setup there are the above plus min Murderhost or Dark Feast.

For a 3 Thirster Tyrant setup Gore Pilgrims is available as well.

Just to list the more reasonable options out there, for the sake of discussion.

Personally, I dislike that battalions can be deployed as a whole. It leads to drop-wars and (at least in my experience) having 4+ drops feels godawful.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Xasz said:

IPersonally, I dislike that battalions can be deployed as a whole. It leads to drop-wars and (at least in my experience) having 4+ drops feels godawful.

IME, I haven't had to deal with drop-wars.  In our local club, 8-10 drops is pretty normal, and even the last tournament I went to before pandemic, I brought 7 drops and that was fewer than 4 of my 5 opponents.

Having 2 drops is not a good thing when you have to set up your whole army without knowing what your opponent is going to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drkrash said:

IME, I haven't had to deal with drop-wars.  In our local club, 8-10 drops is pretty normal, and even the last tournament I went to before pandemic, I brought 7 drops and that was fewer than 4 of my 5 opponents.

Having 2 drops is not a good thing when you have to set up your whole army without knowing what your opponent is going to do.

Remember you don't always have to drop the whole battalion at once. The rules say you can set some or all of the battalion at the same time. This allows you to tailor your drop count to just below your opponent so you have more information while deploying.

7 hours ago, 123lac said:

Just had a thought, if the following heroes did not take up leader slots I think mortals would be a lot more fun to build lists for:

-Skullgrinder

-All flavours of deathbringers (aspiring & exalted)

-Bloodstoker

It would change less than you might think.

The problem is not (only) that those are cheap, low impact heroes  and slots are scarce in an army that tends to be more hero/behemoth heavy  but at the moment they  don't have anything worthwhile to buff (at least in a more competitive context, which is my position and that might not apply to everybody!).

The Bloodstoker once could buff daemons and some other stuff.  We've seen him in the past in many more lists than with the current incarnation of BoK (sometimes bordering on being an auto include).

Furthermore, it doesn't help that their abilities are often highly conditional and short ranged... it's so much easier going for 2-3 priest and a Bloodsecrator and then fill the 5th and 6th slot with something outside of mortals. They do their job, no matter what.

Point being, mortals are currently left to their own devices regarding their lists (if we are talking true mortals) and they have some major design flaws.

PS: I had a lot of hope for Slaves to Darkness and the possibility of salvaging some of their units,  but sadly, while the book offers a lot of world building and pretty pictures, it was dead on arrival rule-wise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xasz said:

It would change less than you might think.

The problem is not (only) that those are cheap, low impact heroes  and slots are scarce in an army that tends to be more hero/behemoth heavy  but at the moment they  don't have anything worthwhile to buff (at least in a more competitive context, which is my position and that might not apply to everybody!).

The Bloodstoker once could buff daemons and some other stuff.  We've seen him in the past in many more lists than with the current incarnation of BoK (sometimes bordering on being an auto include).

Furthermore, it doesn't help that their abilities are often highly conditional and short ranged... it's so much easier going for 2-3 priest and a Bloodsecrator and then fill the 5th and 6th slot with something outside of mortals. They do their job, no matter what.

Point being, mortals are currently left to their own devices regarding their lists (if we are talking true mortals) and they have some major design flaws.

PS: I had a lot of hope for Slaves to Darkness and the possibility of salvaging some of their units,  but sadly, while the book offers a lot of world building and pretty pictures, it was dead on arrival rule-wise. 

Ya but if you could take them as regular units without occupying the important leader slots then I think they'd be worth taking, as they are pretty cheap.

I agree that their lacklustre abilities could also use some tweaking. The short 'wholly within' ranges in our book are really annoying for me.

The StD release had one thing that I like and that's the chungus lord on Karkadrak. A proper mounted beatstick for Khorne mortals.

Edited by 123lac

New AoS player here (well, not a player yet, but started getting into it when pandemic kicked off). Looking at buying a Khorne mortals lot - is this a good start, and is $300 USD reasonable (assembled and primed):

• 2x Mighty Lord of Khorne
  • 2x Bloodstoker
  • 2x Bloodsecrator
  • 40x Blood Warriors
  • 40x Bloodreavers
  • 2x Khorgoraths
  • 2x Slaughterpriest
  • 10x Wrathmongers
  • 1x Aspiring Deathbringer
  • Judgments of Khorne
  • Skull Altar

Thanks!

Not too sure pricing wise, but it seems a good batch of models to get started with! The wrathmongers are pretty tasty. 

Just a question to the hive mind. I'm playing on Table Top Simulator against my good friend who lives abroad. We want to play the most competitive lists possible with the factions we've chosen. He likes the Bonereapers, and has gone for this:

Petrifex (of course)

• Nagash
  • Boneshaper
  • 15x Cav
  • 5x Cav
  • 5x Cav
  • Carrion Endless Spell

Now this is a tough list, and will essentially have to play for objectives. As I am on TTS, models aren't an issue. What is the best 2000pts Blades of Khorne army I can create against this monstrosity of a list? Maybe...

Reapers of Vengeance

• Skarbrand
  • Wrath of Khorne (General, Mage Eater, Skullshard Mantle)
  • Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (Armour of Scorn)
  • Slaughterpriest (Killing Frenzy)
  • Slaughterpriest (Bronzed Flesh)
  • 30 Bloodletters
  • 10x Bloodreavers
  • 10x Bloodreavers
  • 5x Wrathmongers
  • Tyrants of Blood
  • Wrath Axe
  • Hex Gorger Skulls

Would this work ? Might just try it anyway. Was thinking of using Gore Pilgrims, but I'm then using too many points in battalions. 

Anyone have experience taking on OBR?

One of the boys has just gotten his OBR army to table top. We had a couple of games and went 1 for 1. Seems like a decent match up for my daemon heavy lists.

He’s running Nagash, morteks and Harvesters at this point. No shooting.  I have about 5k of khorne to pick from, mainly deamons. I’m missing a few mortal heroes, bloodcrushers, all S2D except a daemon prince. 

Just wondering if there’s any tips and tricks out there for taking out harvesters. I was relying on bloodtithe movement, flying over the top, BoIR splash damage, BoUF shooting, blood boil. Anything else I’m not thinking of?

16 hours ago, QuasarJones said:

New AoS player here (well, not a player yet, but started getting into it when pandemic kicked off). Looking at buying a Khorne mortals lot - is this a good start, and is $300 USD reasonable (assembled and primed):

• 2x Mighty Lord of Khorne
  • 2x Bloodstoker
  • 2x Bloodsecrator
  • 40x Blood Warriors
  • 40x Bloodreavers
  • 2x Khorgoraths
  • 2x Slaughterpriest
  • 10x Wrathmongers
  • 1x Aspiring Deathbringer
  • Judgments of Khorne
  • Skull Altar

Thanks!

Yeah, that's a doable start and that's a fair price for sure.

I prefer playing daemons, but you'll be able to do some solid mortal lists with those guys.

As for taking on OBR, I find a buffed Skarbrand indispensable for taking out Mortek Guard.

For the Crawler, I use a flying Thirster to jump the lines.  Remember, once you are within 6" of it, it can't fire anymore.

@Brother MayhemWhy no Bloodsecrator? Have it and the Wrathmongers close to Skarbrand for 3 attacks with Carnage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drkrash said:

Yeah, that's a doable start and that's a fair price for sure.

I prefer playing daemons, but you'll be able to do some solid mortal lists with those guys.

Thanks! It seems like a decent start. I'd probably want to follow it up with some daemons for summoning, and it sounds like eventually a bloodthirster?

7 hours ago, drkrash said:

As for taking on OBR, I find a buffed Skarbrand indispensable for taking out Mortek Guard.

For the Crawler, I use a flying Thirster to jump the lines.  Remember, once you are within 6" of it, it can't fire anymore.

@Brother MayhemWhy no Bloodsecrator? Have it and the Wrathmongers close to Skarbrand for 3 attacks with Carnage.

No Bloodsecrator, but that was points. I think I'm going to go with removing the bloodletters, getting 2 packs of dogs and a bloodsecrator. No Gore Pilgrims, but I don't want to spend 300 odd points on Battalions when I already have 2 Judgements. 400 points before I even do units!

2 hours ago, QuasarJones said:

Thanks! It seems like a decent start. I'd probably want to follow it up with some daemons for summoning, and it sounds like eventually a bloodthirster?

Always a bloodthirster.  Or 2.  Or 3.  Or 4. :)

More seriously, bloodthirsters are great, though a single one will probably just be a big target.  Two is honestly better.  But that will dilute your mortal options, so try these guys out first.  Check out Gore Pilgrims and Dark Feast.

Some demons for summoning is good, but you can probably get away with just 5 flesh hounds to start.  Learn to use Blood Tithe for other tricks (though I need to take my own advice on this more often).

5 minutes ago, drkrash said:

Always a bloodthirster.  Or 2.  Or 3.  Or 4. :)

More seriously, bloodthirsters are great, though a single one will probably just be a big target.  Two is honestly better.  But that will dilute your mortal options, so try these guys out first.  Check out Gore Pilgrims and Dark Feast.

Some demons for summoning is good, but you can probably get away with just 5 flesh hounds to start.  Learn to use Blood Tithe for other tricks (though I need to take my own advice on this more often).

That sounds great! Thanks for the advice. I'd probably prefer not to drop a few hundred dollars on bloodthirsters right after jumping in, hehe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of ways to get the most out of the Lord on Manticore so that I might actually use the model. So far I came up with following;

1. General in Goretide for +1DMG to his sword and lance
  2. Make the lance Gorecleaver so its rend -1 base and -3 on the charge, 4 DMG (6's to wound = 8DMG!)
  3. Killing Frenzy and Whipped to Fury so the lance hits on 2+, wounds 3+ rerolling, not to mention benefits to the sword and manticore
  4. Warshrine khorne prayer for reroll hits and charges, if that fails use a CP to reroll 1's
  5. Bronzed Flesh because its annoying; and
  6. Ideally he will be in range of the bloodsecrator (gore pilgrims helps)

Anything I'm missing?

• Like 1

Some more things:

1. Wrathmongers for +1 extra attack

2. Undivided Washrine prayer as another source of re-rolls Hits and wounds ( you can re-rolls the Washrine prayer next to your Altar) 

3. Chaos Lord on foot for that sweet extra pile in. 

All this together with perfect dice rolls can Spike up to 130 damage. Basically whole enemy army at once. 

• Thanks 2

Holy cow, that would be pretty amazing. Bloodstoker wouldn’t hurt to get that +3” to charging and easy no mess rerolling wound rolls. 

Aspiring Deathbringer can provide an extra attack too.  Wrathmongers never seem to be able to keep up for their aura to work when I want it too.  

GoretidewithManticore.pdf

Edited by Lord Krungharr
Forgot about the Aspiring Deathbringer
  • Thanks 1