AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 5/5/2020 at 4:37 AM, backslide said:

Well I only have 24 crushers... but 4x6 is nice and I could add a blood secrator 

Allegiance: Chaos
Archaon the Everchosen (800)
Skullmaster, Herald of Khorne (120)
- General
Bloodsecrator (120)
6 x Bloodcrushers (240)
6 x Bloodcrushers (240)
6 x Bloodcrushers (240)
6 x Bloodcrushers (240)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

Dang it, now I want a giant Brass Stampede!...and Archaon.  Maybe a Khorne Mega-Gargant will suffice when they arrive?

I tried out my Khorne Daemon prince along with Tyrants of Blood(one of each regular thirsters), a gigantic spawn, and Brass Despoilers with just a doombull and thirty gors.  Vs Legion of Azgorh with executive Herd and three magma cannons  and forty fireglaives.   

I found the Daemon Prince, while fairly durable, he didn’t do too much damage despite getting in combat turn two, and his CA never came into play.   I mean if we’re playing Khorne don’t we want to get into combat?  I guess it may be useful to limit the charges of enemies but if we’re already danger close and they want a key unit to get into combat with us, they’ll probably have a CP waiting for a reroll.  

Seems like the DP is pricy for what he does.  Any pointers or other perspectives?   I run Beasts of Khorne or Beasts within Tyrants for my Blades army.   Wouldn’t mind getting some Reavers and Blood Warriors to make a Gore Pilgrims though.   Maybe the DP would be better with that vein of army ?

Tyrants with Halo of Blood we’re awesome though!

On 5/17/2020 at 9:32 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

I found the Daemon Prince, while fairly durable, he didn’t do too much damage despite getting in combat turn two

On 5/17/2020 at 9:32 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Any pointers or other perspectives?

What was he equipped with? The best offensive setup for him IMO is as a Goretide general (for Hew the Foe and +1 damage to 2 weapon profiles) and either Dimensional/Runic Blade (for -3 Rend on his Claws as a take-all-comers killer) or the Sword of Judgement (as an assassin of Heroes and gribblies with +2 to hit from charging and Killing Frenzy).

In terms of his command, there are definitely games where it will come into play more than others. Some people forego offensive capabilities altogether and give him the Crimson Crown just to pop that command all the time. Controlling your opponent's movement like that is awesome. Yes, we do want to be in combat, but on our own terms...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just had him regular without an artefact.  You know I also forgot he always strikes first in combat.  

Goretide general sounds like a great choice for him, and would also be good for a Gore Pilgrims right?  I thought Bloodreavers can run and charge or something in that Slaughterhost.   Maybe I can find the troops painted so I don't have to spend any time on it other than the inevitable touch ups....

Good point, Khorne cares not from where the blood flows, but perhaps WHEN it flows :D

Yes you can and they are used at the "start" of the hero phase, so before they use command abilities, cast any spells, etc (apart from the 2 point auto-unbind which is obviously used when needed).

However if they have any "start" of the hero phase actions then they get to choose if they use their actions before you spend your blood tithe. 

4 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think the exception is that one which auto unbinds a spell.  You can use that after the enemy casts a spell.

That is correct, I think it is stated in the description, but can‘t remember clear enough.

Edited by AR605

I'm undecided which Army I should choose next, Fyreslayers (tried to link the post, but didn't really mangaed to get it right) or Blades of Khorne.
For Khorne I would start with a 1k Khorne Mortals army and then filling it up with Bloodthirsters as follows:

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Skarr Bloodwrath (100)
Skullgrinder (80)
- General
- Command Trait: Disciple of Khorne
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Banner of Khorne (Artefact): Banner of Rage

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 2x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Bloodforged (120)

Total: 970 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 75

- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords

Leaders
Skarbrand (380)
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (300)
- General
- Command Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst
- Artefact: Halo of Blood
Bloodsecrator (120)
Skullgrinder (80)

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Tyrants of Blood (140)

Wounds: 111

What do you think of this army? Are the mortals good to keep up with the movement of the Bloodthirsters in theory? Or are they just too slow?

I really like to hear your opinion...

30 minutes ago, AR605 said:

What do you think of this army? Are the mortals good to keep up with the movement of the Bloodthirsters in theory? Or are they just too slow?

I really like to hear your opinion...

Little bit perplexed why you're planning on running 3 wrath of khorne thirsters instead of 1 of each type? 

Also, usually people like to take slaughter priests and the gore pilgrims battalion to support the bloodthirsters. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 123lac said:

Little bit perplexed why you're planning on running 3 wrath of khorne thirsters instead of 1 of each type? 

Also, usually people like to take slaughter priests and the gore pilgrims battalion to support the bloodthirsters. 

I thought the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster is mathematically the best one, but sure strategic wise, it totally makes sense to broaden your picks for strategic flexibility.

So I should take two Slaugtherpriests and remove the Wrathmongers? The Wrathmongers give the Bloodthirsters (and all other Khorne untis in 8") +1 attacks. The plan was to let them run with the bloodthirsters to only buff them.  But with the higher range of the aura from the Bloodsecrator, that can really be better.

8 minutes ago, AR605 said:

I thought the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster is mathematically the best one, but sure strategic wise, it totally makes sense to broaden your picks for strategic flexibility.

So I should take two Slaugtherpriests and remove the Wrathmongers? The Wrathmongers give the Bloodthirsters (and all other Khorne untis in 8") +1 attacks. The plan was to let them run with the bloodthirsters to only buff them.  But with the higher range of the aura from the Bloodsecrator, that can really be better.

Hmm I would remove the skull grinder from the 2000 point list as well as 1 of the bloodthirsters (or skarbrand). Replace with 2 slaughter priests and gore pilgrims battalion. 

You'll have some spare points left over for an endless prayer or two depending what you choose to take out. Hexgorger skulls are nice to have. 

Hi guys, so I’m new here (Chaos player since 6th ed WHFB), and I had my own Blades list I wanted to put down. It MIGHT draw some shock, cuz there’s a dirty sorcerer in it, but I’m sure Khorne would forgive one of Archaon’s lieutenants speeding up his ‘thirsters:

Baleful Lords

Bloodthunder Stampede
Skullmaster (thermalrider cloak to keep up w/BTs)
3 Bloodcrushers
3 Bloodcrushers
3 Bloodcrushers

Tyrants of Blood
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (required artifact)
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (unsure of artifact)
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster

Ally: Slaves to Darkness Gaunt Summoner on foot
Endless Spell: Chronomatic Cogs

2 Battalions, 3 arcane artifacts, 3 CP to start

Yes, I know having a caster for Khorne is “ewwww, yucky”. But I think if Archaon petitions to have one of his chosen sorcerers tag along to boost the killing speed of the thirsters, not for murder from afar, I’m pretty sure Khorne would adhere to anything getting his chosen warriors into battle faster. Still working on the items for the ‘thirsters. Skullmaster is general due to Battleline Bloodcrushers. 2k on the dot.

9 minutes ago, 123lac said:

Hmm I would remove the skull grinder from the 2000 point list as well as 1 of the bloodthirsters (or skarbrand). Replace with 2 slaughter priests and gore pilgrims battalion. 

You'll have some spare points left over for an endless prayer or two depending what you choose to take out. Hexgorger skulls are nice to have. 

Ok, so this is the new list:

- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords

Leaders
- General
- Command Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst
- Artefact: Halo of Blood
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
- Artefact: Hellfire Blade
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (270)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Tyrants of Blood (140)
Gore Pilgrims (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 119

Is this better than the original one?

• Like 2

@TimeToWaste85 Yeah the wizard is gross but makes sense in your list and he summons a free unit to hold an objective while the rest of the army surges forward. Biggest weakness is its very light for bodies and after the initial charge Bloodcrushers do next to nothing. You will want to generate bloodtithe fast so you can summon some support. Insensate Rage Thirsters need help with their 4+ hit rolls so any artifact that boosts that is probably the best choice. Amberglaive (from Gur) for +1 hit and +1" reach is my go to but there are other options out there depending on which realm you choose.

@AR605 Your new list is solid but pretty close to what a lot of khorne players run. I actually like the originality of your first list. The 3 Wraith thirsters give a credible shooting threat and Skullgrinder will slip way under the radar. I would suggest flesh hounds instead of the blood warriors but otherwise looks like fun. You didnt nominate a slaughterhost for your 1K list but I assume Goretide would be the way to go.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@TimeToWaste85 Yeah the wizard is gross but makes sense in your list and he summons a free unit to hold an objective while the rest of the army surges forward. Biggest weakness is its very light for bodies and after the initial charge Bloodcrushers do next to nothing. You will want to generate bloodtithe fast so you can summon some support. Insensate Rage Thirsters need help with their 4+ hit rolls so any artifact that boosts that is probably the best choice. Amberglaive (from Gur) for +1 hit and +1" reach is my go to but there are other options out there depending on which realm you choose.

Amberglaive sounds good, but due to Thermalrider cloak (for Slaughtermaster to keep up) I have to go Chamon, I believe (the fire realm). The IRBT’s have re-roll boosts as well, so that helps. But I definitely hear you. Truthfully, the Gaunt should summon Horrors in a competitive game and bloodletters in a friendly game (cuz fluff), but only horrors make actual sense. The army already does CC well, shooting is non-existent. 

16 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Amberglaive sounds good, but due to Thermalrider cloak (for Slaughtermaster to keep up) I have to go Chamon, I believe (the fire realm). The IRBT’s have re-roll boosts as well, so that helps. But I definitely hear you. Truthfully, the Gaunt should summon Horrors in a competitive game and bloodletters in a friendly game (cuz fluff), but only horrors make actual sense. The army already does CC well, shooting is non-existent. 

Thermalrider Cloak is from Aqshy (solid choice for the Skullmaster), which also has the Ignax's Scales for a 4+ mortal wound save (can't hurt to have that on a Bloodthirster).  I always liked those two.  Chamon has the Hydroxskin Cloak which makes the wearer fly and I think can do mortal wounds as they pass across an enemy; that one might be better on a super fast hero, though not sure Khorne has any that are that fast (I'm thinking at least a 12" move on a cavalry type).  

It's not a great wizard but how about an allied Great Bray Shaman?  Beasts of Chaos are less prone to worship another Chaos god like the Gaunt Summoner but have that Devolve spell to lure enemies closer, much like the Slaughter Priests can do.  They can also make some allied Brayherds go faster, or if you run Brass Despoilers that's a good add-on.

I recommend trying to keep all your Bloodthirsters running pretty much close to each other to take full advantage of the Tyrants battalion.  Focus on one or two enemies so they can really wipe them out.  Two Rage-thirsters is solid, and I might have to make another.  However I do like the Unfettered Fury version for the 6" activation and pile-in.  He can shoot a bit like the Wrath-thirster, and his axe is the same vs non-heroes.  But I've seen his ability come in real handy on several occasions.  

Many people like Khartoth the Bloodhunger for a Bloodthirster so you can get to strike first in combat on a 4+ (then do the Tyrants thing), but I would also recommend allying a Mindstealer Cat (Pharanx?) as that has a 5/6 chance of making an enemy strike last, which used on your first enemy to strike effectively gives the Tyrants the ability to strike first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I would also recommend allying a Mindstealer Cat (Pharanx?) as that has a 5/6 chance of making an enemy strike last,

The pretty cat seems like an awesome ally to Khorne. It's reliable. It can change the Chaos Lord's command into a true attack-twice ability. It also seems extremely useful for lists with MSU Reavers so that they can coordinate with each other rather than just dying in between activations.

Hilariously, it also has the Mortal keyword and receives protection from Warshrines.

• Like 1

Gonna try this on for size with a proxy cat:

Chaos Lord (110)
- General
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Skarr Bloodwrath (100)
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Chaos Chosen (280)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
1 x Mindstealer Sphiranx (100)
- Allies
Chaos Warshrine (170)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Dark Feast (110)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Allies: 100 / 400
Wounds: 169

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

I'm not sure I see the need for the extra movement on the Skullmaster. He has the same movement as the Bloodcrushers to proc their locus. Why does he need to keep up with the Bloodthirsters? they dont buff each other in any way...

4+ rerolling 1's is OK but 3+ rerolling 1's is better and you want as many chances to rolls 6's to wound as you can get. 

You are right about summoning the horrors. No reason to summon anything else other than fluff (although I wouldnt rely on their shooting to do much). 

15 hours ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Hi guys, so I’m new here (Chaos player since 6th ed WHFB), and I had my own Blades list I wanted to put down. It MIGHT draw some shock, cuz there’s a dirty sorcerer in it, but I’m sure Khorne would forgive one of Archaon’s lieutenants speeding up his ‘thirsters:

Baleful Lords

Bloodthunder Stampede
Skullmaster (thermalrider cloak to keep up w/BTs)
3 Bloodcrushers
3 Bloodcrushers
3 Bloodcrushers

Tyrants of Blood
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (required artifact)
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (unsure of artifact)
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster

Ally: Slaves to Darkness Gaunt Summoner on foot
Endless Spell: Chronomatic Cogs

2 Battalions, 3 arcane artifacts, 3 CP to start

Yes, I know having a caster for Khorne is “ewwww, yucky”. But I think if Archaon petitions to have one of his chosen sorcerers tag along to boost the killing speed of the thirsters, not for murder from afar, I’m pretty sure Khorne would adhere to anything getting his chosen warriors into battle faster. Still working on the items for the ‘thirsters. Skullmaster is general due to Battleline Bloodcrushers. 2k on the dot.

I find it mildly concerning that I have all the models to do that list... I like it not sure how often you would manage to cast cogs though?

I do like how a summoner is a handy fluffy toolbox character

6 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I'm not sure I see the need for the extra movement on the Skullmaster. He has the same movement as the Bloodcrushers to proc their locus. Why does he need to keep up with the Bloodthirsters? they dont buff each other in any way...

4+ rerolling 1's is OK but 3+ rerolling 1's is better and you want as many chances to rolls 6's to wound as you can get. 

You are right about summoning the horrors. No reason to summon anything else other than fluff (although I wouldnt rely on their shooting to do much). 

I’m not worried about him staying near the crushers. The Thirsters get a bonus from being near the general. He’s there to keep up with them. The crushers are the next wave. 

So here is a new list I am working on. Upfront let me say I love the aesthetic and lore of blood warriors and have been wanting to try a 30 man blob.  I want to try roiding them out til I have a "bloodbomb" that will obliterate whatever it comes into contact with

- Slaughterhost: The Goretide

Leaders
Aspiring Deathbringer(80)
Slaughterpriest (100)- Prayer: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100) - Prayer: Bronzed Flesh
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline
30 x Blood Warriors (520)
- Gorefists
- 3x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
10 x Skullreapers (140)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (140)

Total: 1940/ 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 151

Haven't figured out what I am doing as far a general, extra points, etc. Idea is put the Blood warriors, Aspiring Deathbringer, Slaugherpriests, Bloodsecrator, and Bloodstoker where the thick of the fighting will be. Skullreapers and Thirster will go where needed. With buffs, spells, artifacts and such the bloodwarriors should be at 4 attacks, 2+ hit rerolling, 4+ wound rerolling, -rend, 1 damage. Now the 3 goreglaives will be front and center dropping 2+ rerolling, 3+ rerolling, -1 rend, 2 damage (THIS IS WHAT CAUSES A LOT OF DAMAGE and last i will pull as they die). Because of gorefists if you choose to attack me I put a mortal wound on you on a 6+. With bronzed flesh we are 3+.  And if you do kill a model he piles in and unleashes a bunch of attacks on you. Any ideas on how to tweak this to optimize?

Edited by KhorgusCool
  • Like 2