AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 3/13/2020 at 5:10 PM, Blood Priest said:

Thanks everyone. The Blood Tithe is the thing about this army that seemed the most tricky, I appreciate the advice :)

Something to be careful of with blood tithe is that it happens at start of the phase. This means it’s same time as judgements and blood fuelled prayers (you choose order) but not the warscroll 2 prayers on priests which must be after. This can also be a bit funky in the opponents hero phase as you go after their start of hero phase stuff but before their normal hero phase actions (you probably will have to interrupt them as well as they normally won’t give you a courtesy cue). 

Also the reset bloodtithe to zero as far as I can read is after you resolve the ability so even if you kill something with the free attack or meteor your bloodtithe will still reset to zero. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Speaking of a Khorne Mortals.  In their half of the narrative the Sylvaneth have managed to split their army in two. Can they come back together and crush them into splinters?  And of course how many more Skulls will they add to the Skull Throne as part of Bel’akor’s bet?

Well the second round of our Khorne Narrative is in the bag.  Much closer this time as the Daemons wracked up 69 Wounds worth of killed models in the clash with the Kharadron.  Unfortunately for them the Mortals managed to score 72 Wounds worth of kills, further widening the already large gap that they’d built in Round One.  With the score at Daemons 99 - Mortals 190 would take a very dramatic swing for Daemons to come back but we’re gonna finish this one out.

Not certain what the final two armies will be?  Maybe FEC and Nurgle...

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 9:13 PM, Blood Priest said:

If I'm running a mortals list, are there any go-to daemons you'd recommend getting for summoning with blood tithe points?

Letter herald, 10 dogs and a thirster.

Herald is the cheapest summon, sometimes you just need that for point cap or CP use.

Dogs are cheap and good, don't forget they also unbind/dispell.

Thirster is usually last ditch effort, but Rage thirster can turn the game around with some lucky rolls. Also your insurance plan in case both armies destroy each other and Khorne mortals do like to do that with plethora of "attack on death" abilities.

On 3/11/2020 at 12:30 PM, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Daemons struggled last time so we’ll see if this new list does a better job of generating Blood for the Blood God?  Runs 2080 points but again, narrative so all about having fun.

So new Daemons list, as noted above, did much better.  After several games where Bloodletters let the side down the switch to Flesh Hounds for Battleline was one of the areas of clearest improvement.  Along with that came switch from Murderhost Battalion to Blood Hunt Battalion making the foundation of the army:

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster

Karanak

Three Units of 5x Flesh Hounds

as we went over the 2K limiter this narrative match this battalion also had two units of 3x Bloodcrushers.  Truth be told they were almost as disappointing as their unmounted brethren.

On top of that foundation we added Skarbrand, Mazarall the Butcher and a Daemon Prince.

The reality was that with KO having no spell casting and not really wanting to Charge in we didn’t see the true potential of this list.  

For final round we’ll drop at least a unit of Bloodcrushers to get back to 2K compliance and see how it works on more normal conditions.

Part of me is curious though to add a Tyrants of Blood Battalion (Skarbrand, Rage  Fury) as in non-narrative this minimizes drops and gets you an extra Artefact. Not to mention the chain activation from Battalion.   But loses you some of the unique things  Maz and DP bring.  And with their better saves they seemed to last longer on table despite fewer wounds.

Any thoughts on the relative merits outside of fewer drops of switching?

On 3/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, Blood Priest said:

Hi, I'm getting back in to Warhammer and wanted to start with mostly mortal Blades of Khorne. I see a lot of people take a Bloodsecrator and at least two Slaughterpriests as a foundation, which makes sense. I was just curious what battalions you recommend a new player look at as most useful? I also really like Wrathmongers and Skullreapers though I'm not sure how to field them and in what numbers they work.

Also a couple modeling questions. I know the Wrathmonger/Skullreaper box has a torso for each and the same legs, is there a common set of legs people use to get use out of that other torso? I thought maybe Blood Warriors but not sure how large they are. Also is the Start Collecting box all single weapon options for the Blood Warriors and Reavers? I have no idea what weapon combo is best on these but it seemed in pics they only have one.

Thanks for any answers or additional newbie advice you might toss my way :)

A Bloodsecrator and 2 slaughterpriests are all but essential for pretty much any Khorne list. Wrathmongers and Skullreapers are both blendy and useful and awesome looking models.  When I bought my first box of whippy bois and skullreapers, me, being young and new to wargaming and modeling and therefore an idiot, I decided to try and build 2 Wrathmongers and 3 skullreapers, to see which one was better/cooler (alas I had not yet discovered Mathhammer or played any games with my army). I ended up only being able to build 2 of each, which annoyed me. A LOT. I then immediately went out and purchased a second box and was able to build 5 of each using the rest of the sprue from my first box . *SIGH*

Anyway, Wrathmongers and Skullreapers are a lot of fun, but for a beginner, a battalion like Gore Pilgrims is a great start, it's not as good as it used to be, but +8'' to Loathsome Sorcery and Rage of Khorne is still pretty useful. It also includes pretty much all the essential units for a mortal list that you can get in the Gorebound Warband start collecting, which also includes a bloodstoker (super useful for the painfully slow mortals) a Khorgorath and a Mighty Lord/Khorgus Khul. 

As for weapon options, whatever you want to take for Blood Warriors is honestly up to you, Gorefists might be good if you're planning to run your blood warriors straight into your opponents deadliest unit where you'll have to make a lot of saves, but the re rolling ones to hit makes them the *tiniest* bit more killy. Whatever looks cooler, in my opinion. For Bloodreavers Meatripper axes are DEFINITELY the way to go, they both A. Look approximately 100 times cooler and B. are way better in combat, that -1 rend will help a lot.

I'm sure it's possible to convert blood warriors into skullreapers and vice versa, but considering how GW has designed the sprue and what parts are left over after you finish a unit, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. (It's almost like GW doesn't want you doing that. Strange.)

Final advice for a newbie, play this army as much as you can. Khorne is a complex and sometimes annoying army, but if you line up all your auras and prayers and whatnot right, the rivers of gore and mountains of skulls you create will be worth it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hey, I am new to Blades of khorne, would you have some ideas of good 1k points list to start playing in meeting engagements and doubles ?

For Mortals, whether you take the actual Battalion (140 pts) or not there are far worse places to start than Gore Pilgrims:

Bloodsecrator

1 or 2 Slaughter Priests (I’m biased to 2, especially with Skull Alter, but you may prefer another option)

1 unit of Bloodreavers

1 unit of Bloodwarriors 

This covers your battle lines and gives you at least two good buffing units.  At minimum size with the battalion that’s 530 pts.  That leaves you a lot of room to configure towards your play style.  Want a hard hitting unit consider the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak.  Want lots of bodies got to a max size unit of reavers and get a nice point break.  Want to buff your other units consider adding some Wrathmongers, who bonus, damage your opponent when they explode upon dying.  Heck, consider adding a a Daemon Prince and use his ability to ****** up your opponents plan.

Will leave it to others to cover Daemons as points wise they’re tough at 2K for me to be truly happy with so not sure how I’d scale down.  But Mortals have a lot of good options.

As far as doubles Goes a lot of course would depend on what your opponent is bringing but another basic set up to consider is Brass Stampe (here battalion probably not worth it.  Maybe something like:

Mighty Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak

3x Mighty Skullcrushers

3x Mighty Skullcrushers

Without the battalion and thus the required third unit of Skullcrushers that gives you 270 pts to play with.  But that foundation brings a lot of movement and potential damage to a doubles team.

Short question: I currently concider to use leftover bits and 5 unbuilt Bloodwarriors to turn thoose into either Wrathmongers or Skullreapers. I currently own 5 Mongers and 10 Reapers and I´m not sure what is the better option to build. Or should I go for another 5 Bloodwarriors to have 15 instead of my current 10`?

On 3/29/2020 at 1:49 AM, Charleston said:

Short question: I currently concider to use leftover bits and 5 unbuilt Bloodwarriors to turn thoose into either Wrathmongers or Skullreapers. I currently own 5 Mongers and 10 Reapers and I´m not sure what is the better option to build. Or should I go for another 5 Bloodwarriors to have 15 instead of my current 10`?

I'm a bit odd, but I like to have 2 units of wrathmongers. Lets me spread the buffs around to multiple areas. It really depends on what you want to do with the army though. 15 reapers in the slaughter born battalion are very deadly. I'm not a big fan of blood warriors, so I'm biased against them outside of battalions. They're pretty good as tar pits in  slaughter born (once again) though. All that being said, I say mongers.

With a lot of list building time at moment was working through the “final frontier” of my Khorne armies now that I feel like, after several games, I have a few really good Mortals lists, some Daemons lists coming into shape, and decent blended options: adding some Beasts of Chaos to the mix.  It seems like a Doombull/Bullgor centric Brass Despoilers Battalion the way to go and pairs nicely with my favorite Mortals Battalion, Gore Pilgrims.  But once I’ve met the basic requirements fir both battalions is it better to lean into the new BoC options that are available or does pushing more Mortals into the mix provide better balance/value?

On 3/31/2020 at 4:53 AM, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

But once I’ve met the basic requirements fir both battalions is it better to lean into the new BoC options that are available or does pushing more Mortals into the mix provide better balance/value?

From my experience with the brass despoilers you probably will want to maximize the BoC section so that you earn more value from the 2 abilities of the battalion. With a minimum Despoiler battalion it feels more like wasting points. Centigors are an unexpectedly good choice. They offer ludicrous speed and surprising damage when buffed plus they can give you the battalion reroll when and where you need it.  You'd probably have to convert them up though. Bestigors make a powerful alpha strike option if you can keep the buffs going with them.  Allied BoC models are also worth considering for various buffs/roles available depending on how far down the goat hole you want to go. 

All that being said, I haven't played around with adding many mortals besides the three universal buffing units. My initial thoughts: Blood warriors are better than gors for damage and durability, but they don't cover the same area as efficiently for chaff screening. The mortal cavalry is slower, but hits harder. Skullreapers are always nice, but expensive. Reavers are better for backlining with the secrator/emergency hammer... As always, it depends on what you're trying to do. Beasts of Khorne are an interesting fusion between BoC screening game and BoK Buff/countercharge game(in my experience). Out of curiosity, what slaughterhost are you theorizing for the beasty boys list?

TLDR: Most mortal units don't serve a sufficiently different role to BoC options that will benefit from/to the battalion outside of the universal buffing units. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Out of curiosity, what slaughterhost are you theorizing for the beasty boys list?

My base case is Goretide.

Have some spare Bull Centaur Renders I had hoped to proxy as Centigors as they are an excellent model But the base sizes just too different.  Unfortunate as, you note above, would give this list a little more range. 

Would add to drops but Wrathmongers, since they buff the Khorne keyword as you note, have grown in appeal.  Using the range of the Ghorgon behind some screening Mortals also has been recommended to me by a regular BoC player.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:49 AM, Charleston said:

10 mongers have way more common uses than 15 reapers or 15 warriors.

• Like 1

Thread seems a bit dead...!

How about a good ol' fashioned list critique?

I want to make Mortals work as I love the models and don't particularly want to spam Bloodthirsters and/or reapers of vengeance.

I also don't like the old daemon prince model.

So here it goes:

Slaughterhost:

-Goretide

Leaders:

-Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (General) with Thronebreaker's Torc & Hew the Foe | 250 pts

-Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster with Armour of Scorn | 300 pts

-Bloodstoker | 80 pts

-Slaughter Priest with killing frenzy | 100 pts

-Slaughter Priest with bronzed flesh | 100 pts

-Bloodsecrator | 120 pts

Battleline:

-10 x BloodWarriors with Gore Fists, 1 Gore Glaive, 1 Icon Bearer | 200 pts

-10 x Blood Reavers | 70 pts

Other:

-3 x Mighty Skullcrushers | 160 pts

-5 x Wrathmongers | 140 pts

-1x Khorgorath | 100 pts

Endless Prayers:

-Wrath Axe | 60 pts

-Hexgorger Skulls | 40 pts

Warscroll Battalions:

Gore Pilgrims | 140 pts

Terrain:

Skull Altar | 0 pts

Total:

2,000 pts

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 123lac said:

Thread seems a bit dead...!

I want to make Mortals work as I love the models and don't particularly want to spam Bloodthirsters and/or reapers of vengeance.

I also don't like the old daemon prince model.

So here it goes:

Slaughterhost:

-Goretide

Leaders:

-Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (General) with Thronebreaker's Torc & Hew the Foe | 250 pts

-Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster with Armour of Scorn | 300 pts

-Bloodstoker | 80 pts

-Slaughter Priest with killing frenzy | 100 pts

-Slaughter Priest with bronzed flesh | 100 pts

-Bloodsecrator | 120 pts

Battleline:

-10 x BloodWarriors with Gore Fists, 1 Gore Glaive, 1 Icon Bearer | 200 pts

Other:

-3 x Mighty Skullcrushers | 160 pts

-5 x Wrathmongers | 140 pts

-1x Khorgorath | 100 pts

Endless Prayers:

-Wrath Axe | 60 pts

-Hexgorger Skulls | 40 pts

Warscroll Battalions:

Gore Pilgrims | 140 pts

Terrain:

Skull Altar | 0 pts

Total:

2,000 pts

I would propose to give your Karkadrak the Dimensional Blade, He becomes a Real beast with 6 Attacks, Rend - 3 and 3 damage. Who to give the Thronebreaker's Torc? Either the Bloodsecrator or you switch your Bloodthirster for a Demon Prince with the Thronebreaker's Torc, so you have his command ability and a decent spiky roadblock. More than that, you need some more threats. I would take out the Skullcrusher, because 3 Do not Do very much, reduce the Bataillon to a minimum and you have 490 points to play with. You could fill them with Marauders as you need a third battleline then and the Rest is up to you. I personally would go with 40+20 Marauders, so that you have 4 threats your enemy has to deal with. 

• Like 3

On 4/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, 123lac said:

Just an alternate thought, but scrapping a unit of Reavers and a Khorgie for an additional 3 Skullcrushers (for a unit of 6) creates a serious, fairly mobile, extremely tanky threat. Nobody wants to be charged by 6 Crushers, and many people will panic and/or change their plans around them. That's 2 less deployment drops as well.

I would echo what Salyx said about the Chungus Lord too. Go full offensive with him with a Rune Blade / Dimensional Blade. He is there to kill guys and reap Tithe. Also, he has some defence and healing anyway.

You have a whole battalion that is centred around the Secrator, so give him the Thronebreaker's Torc and keep his awesome aura up and running.

A lot of people prefer the Rage Thirster as a standalone Thirster, but I actually agree with your choice. The WoK Thirster is a great utility and more reliable. I would give him an offensive weapon rather than protective armour though.

Good choice of Judgements. The Blessings are perfect for this list (and even better with 6 Crushers), although I'm personally addicted to Blood Sacrifice to crawl further up the Tithe ladder and expand options.

Edited by Roark
  • Like 1

Okay, so the consensus is that Lord Chungus on Giant Iguana gets the dimensional blade, Bloodsecreator gets Thronebreaker's Torc.

I like the idea of 3 more skullcrushers instead of 10 reavers and the khorgorath.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:45 AM, Salyx said:

You could fill them with Marauders as you need a third battleline then and the Rest is up to you. I personally would go with 40+20 Marauders, so that you have 4 threats your enemy has to deal with. 

I wish marauders had decent sculpts. I can't bring myself to buy them when they look so dated.

14 hours ago, 123lac said:

I wish marauders had decent sculpts. I can't bring myself to buy them when they look so dated.

OK, I am blessedwith Marauders sculpts. In Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition, Hordes of 50 Marauders werde a usual sight on the tables. And they were the First Minis I painted :)

• Like 1

List feedback session! 

Quite new to Khorne. Curious what you think of this build. I've also done a Reapers of Vengeance and Gore Pilgrims build, but this is something very different.

Idea is to have the Bloodreavers able to cross the table turn 1. Get a lot of attacks in, with the Bloodsecrator and batallion.

There is fighting twice from the Chaos Lord, which can both go on the reavers of the Karkadrak. 

Warshrine and slaughter priest to buff.

Skarbrand to deal with things like Mortek Guard.

What do you guys think?

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250)
- General
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Rune Blade
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Slaughterpriest (100)
Skarbrand (380)

Battleline
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Meatripper Axes
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Dark Feast (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Wrath-Axe (60)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

There is a lot, so let me start.. 

First of All, ging full Bloodreavers will not work out very well. They Die in droves, you will never be able to fit 40 in and their leadership is horrible. 

Additionally, the Chaos Lord will Not work with Bloodreavers, as He only buffs Slaves to Darkness units. So either go with small units of Bloodreavers and drop the Chaos Lord or go full Marauders. If you go with Marauders and Chaos Lord and still use Skarbrand, you might as well take the Reapers of Vengeance Slaughterhost, which will allow Skarbrand to Pole in twice, whereas the Chaos Lord lets your other units Pole in twice. The Warahrine worms a lot Vetter with Slaves to Darkness units as well, because his aura and his warscroll prayer only work on Slaves. And if you use Slaughterpriests and Bloodsecrator, you should take the Gore Pilgrims Bataillon. It consists of 2-3 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodsecrator, one unit of Bloodwarriors and 1-2 Bloodreavers. So a lot of units you would take anyway and after including the Bataillon you got your battleline done. Moreover, the Bloodsecrator's auras are increased up to 24 inches. 

Hope, this was not too much and helps you in list building. 

So is there consensus opinion that the Chungus Lord brings more to an average (mostly)Mortal Khorne list than a StD Daemon Prince? I have a hard on for the Daemon Prince's command ability. So much so, that I want to take the crown on one, so it can use that command ability every round, to stifle the opponent's objective play. Haven't tested this idea  yet, but maybe that's why I'm not seeing how the Chungus Lord brings more to the table.

4 hours ago, Salyx said:

There is a lot, so let me start.. 

First of All, ging full Bloodreavers will not work out very well. They Die in droves, you will never be able to fit 40 in and their leadership is horrible. 

Additionally, the Chaos Lord will Not work with Bloodreavers, as He only buffs Slaves to Darkness units. So either go with small units of Bloodreavers and drop the Chaos Lord or go full Marauders. If you go with Marauders and Chaos Lord and still use Skarbrand, you might as well take the Reapers of Vengeance Slaughterhost, which will allow Skarbrand to Pole in twice, whereas the Chaos Lord lets your other units Pole in twice. The Warahrine worms a lot Vetter with Slaves to Darkness units as well, because his aura and his warscroll prayer only work on Slaves. And if you use Slaughterpriests and Bloodsecrator, you should take the Gore Pilgrims Bataillon. It consists of 2-3 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodsecrator, one unit of Bloodwarriors and 1-2 Bloodreavers. So a lot of units you would take anyway and after including the Bataillon you got your battleline done. Moreover, the Bloodsecrator's auras are increased up to 24 inches. 

Hope, this was not too much and helps you in list building. 

Hey man thanks for the heads up. A few things there I didn't realise.

Firstly, let me just say - what a stupid idea to put reavers on 32mm bases. I thought they were on 25s. That just ruins the entire purpose of them in that list. They could cross the board with that slaughterhost, and they would get to re-roll wounds, being a turn 1 threat. But I won't be able to fit them in the 16" radius from their own warscroll anyway - and then yes Marauders will just be better. 

I also didn't realise the warshrine didn't buff Mortals, but only Slaves to Darkness. 

I really wanted that gimmicky turn 1 charge across the board with a ton of attacks. Marauders could be the way to go. Those are probably better in nurgle though, simply due to Blades of Putrification and run and charge. But I'll look down that path. Or MSU Reavers.

If I run Gore Pilgrims and Reapers of Vengeance, then I am basically running my other list. So I didn't want to go down that route really.

Thanks for the tips though, very appreciated. I will continue to look into making other lists work. Cheers!

Edited by Rune

6 hours ago, Sleepa said:

So is there consensus opinion that the Chungus Lord brings more to an average (mostly)Mortal Khorne list than a StD Daemon Prince? I have a hard on for the Daemon Prince's command ability. So much so, that I want to take the crown on one, so it can use that command ability every round, to stifle the opponent's objective play. Haven't tested this idea  yet, but maybe that's why I'm not seeing how the Chungus Lord brings more to the table.

Personally I just prefer Chungus Lord's model. By a mile.