AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 minutes ago, Zamik said:

I have a question about "Leave None Alive": the Core Rules say you can use a Command Ability multiple times a phase as long as you have Command Points to pay for it, so I should be able to spend a point and put it on several eligible units. And if that's true, when I have priority, can I put it on my Daemon Prince and my Bloodthirster, have the DP fight his first time at the start of the combat phase, immediately fight again, and then select the Bloodthirster to fight in the combat phase and then fight again--all before the opponent can do anything? I'm assuming that the DP's ability to fight at the start of combat means that on my priority I get to select another unit (my first selected unit of the phase) after he fights. I'm not sure if I've missed some obvious flaw here.

Basically the order of operations I'm looking at here is:

Start of Combat Phase: Spend 1 CP on DP, spend 1 CP on Bloodthirster; DP fights twice

Combat phase: Bloodthirster fights twice

You are correct! Just keep in mind that "Leave None Alive" will only trigger if there are still enemy units within 3". It is a seldom time that it won't work but sometimes it will be easier for an opponent to take away from the front if they can deny you that second swing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zamik said:

I have a question about "Leave None Alive": the Core Rules say you can use a Command Ability multiple times a phase as long as you have Command Points to pay for it, so I should be able to spend a point and put it on several eligible units. And if that's true, when I have priority, can I put it on my Daemon Prince and my Bloodthirster, have the DP fight his first time at the start of the combat phase, immediately fight again, and then select the Bloodthirster to fight in the combat phase and then fight again--all before the opponent can do anything? I'm assuming that the DP's ability to fight at the start of combat means that on my priority I get to select another unit (my first selected unit of the phase) after he fights. I'm not sure if I've missed some obvious flaw here.

Basically the order of operations I'm looking at here is:

Start of Combat Phase: Spend 1 CP on DP, spend 1 CP on Bloodthirster; DP fights twice

Combat phase: Bloodthirster fights twice

This would be amazing. However I believe in this scenario the Daemon Prince counts as your first choice. Then he’d attack again and then it would be your opponents turn to retaliate.

The start of the combat phase is part of the combat phase.

”In the combat phase, the players take it in turns to pick units to fight with, starting with the player whose turn is taking place.”

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Hey, so I've got a tournament late march and had been thinking of bringing out my mortals again. Wanted to get some advice. It's a pretty competitive crowd and I know there'll be Osiarchs, big waagh, Tzeentch, and skaven. This was my initial list idea. Also been theory hammering out an infantry based list too, but it's not done yet. 

Spoiler

1980pts, Blades of Khorne, Goretide.  9 drops (ouch), 144 wounds

- 210pts - StD Daemon prince - general - hew the foe, Thronebreaker's torc(unmodifiable save)

- 250pts Chaos lord on Karkadrak - blade of judegement (-3 rend weapon)

- - 180pts - 2x 5 marauder horsemen - javelins

- - 360pts - 2x5 chaos knights - lances

- - 280pts - 2x5 wrathmongers

- 140pts Gore Pilgrims:

200pts - 2 slaughterpriests - Bronzed flesh, Killing frenzy

120pts - Bloodsecrator

140pts - 2x10 bloodreavers - meatripper axes

100pts - 5 blood warriors - gore fists

It's reasonably fast, has 3 wings to it (2 smallish cavalry wings and the backliners.) so it can attack multiple targets, and actually has threatening heroes in their own right(a novelty for me). That's all good, but the army itself feels vulnerable to me. High drops, little redundancy(in purpose), and the infantry probably needs a babysitter. I might be overreacting from the switch from beasts of Khorne, but I'd like to get my fellow lords' opinions on it.

Edited by TheArborealWalrus

55 minutes ago, Troll.exe said:

This would be amazing. However I believe in this scenario the Daemon Prince counts as your first choice. Then he’d attack again and then it would be your opponents turn to retaliate.

”In the combat phase, the players take it in turns to pick units to fight with, starting with the player whose turn is taking place.”

Correct me if I’m wrong.

I assume that Start, During, and End are distinct subphases, based on the text of abilities etc pointing to discrete parts of a phase (such as the Blood Tithe summoning, which happens at the end of the movement phase, and thus the summoned units are ineligible to move, because they were not around for the During part of the phase).

The Daemon Prince's Immortal Champion ability lets him fight at the start of the combat phase, which I assume means he fights outside of the normal "I go-you go" of the Combat phase. Otherwise you'd be stuck activating him first , whether or not that was the most advantageous matchup. You'd have to make him retreat in the Movement phase if you didn't want to be forced to fight with him first, and that would be a huge liability, I think.

Now I can see an issue with making him fight twice with "Leave None Alive" because I don't know if that second attack occurs within the start of the Combat phase still or if it happens in the Combat phase and thus counts as your first selection in the Combat phase, and then the choice passes over to your opponent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troll.exe said:

Correct me if I’m wrong.

You get 4 fight activations in a row because picking stuff to fight happens separately after the "start of phase" fights. It's in the core book faq.

However during opponent's turn you will only get 3, because opponent can say you activate double fight after DP fights.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Hey, so I've got a tournament late march and had been thinking of bringing out my mortals again. Wanted to get some advice. It's a pretty competitive crowd and I know there'll be Osiarchs, big waagh, Tzeentch, and skaven. This was my initial list idea. Also been theory hammering out an infantry based list too, but it's not done yet. 

Hide contents

- 210pts - StD Daemon prince - general - hew the foe, Thronebreaker's torc(unmodifiable save)

- - 180pts - 2x 5 marauder horsemen - javelins

- - 360pts - 2x5 chaos knights - lances

- - 280pts - 2x5 wrathmongers

- 140pts Gore Pilgrims:

200pts - 2 slaughterpriests - Bronzed flesh, Killing frenzy

120pts - Bloodsecrator

140pts - 2x10 bloodreavers - meatripper axes

100pts - 5 blood warriors - gore fists

It's reasonably fast, has 3 wings to it (2 smallish cavalry wings and the backliners.) so it can attack multiple targets, and actually has threatening heroes in their own right(a novelty for me). That's all good, but the army itself feels vulnerable to me. High drops, little redundancy(in purpose), and the infantry probably needs a babysitter. I might be overreacting from the switch from beasts of Khorne, but I'd like to get my fellow lords' opinions on it.

Definitely too much drops. At the very least you should make big units out of stuff outside the battalion. Marauder horses are kinda redunant when you already have reavers to grab objectives.

Unless you are doing a list centered around warriors/reavers you should pick the new slaughterhost.

11 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

You get 4 fight activations in a row because picking stuff to fight happens separately after the "start of phase" fights. It's in the core book faq.

However during opponent's turn you will only get 3, because opponent can say you activate double fight after DP fights.

I’ve never been happier to be wrong lol. Just found the faq 👌 brilliant.

Tooling around with the Blood Marked Warband. With so many mortal slaves units required its hard to fit much killing power into the list so went for MSU to generate a bunch of bloodtithe... reckon this list has legs?

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250)
- General
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Dimensional Blade
Chaos Lord (110)
- Daemonbound War-flail
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield
-
 Javelin & Shield
-
 Javelin & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Cursed Lance
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
-
 Ensorcelled Weapons
1 x Slaves to Darkness Chaos Spawn (50)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (140)
Bloodmarked Warband (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

On 2/20/2020 at 12:16 AM, TheArborealWalrus said:

Hide contents

Il would swap the items.  The -3 rend weapon on the demon prince claws attacks will make a incredible killing machine, and the unmodifiable save for the chaos lord will make him very very very VERY hard to shift.

On 2/20/2020 at 4:18 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

Tooling around with the Blood Marked Warband. With so many mortal slaves units required its hard to fit much killing power into the list so went for MSU to generate a bunch of bloodtithe... reckon this list has legs?

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250)
- General
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Dimensional Blade
Chaos Lord (110)
- Daemonbound War-flail
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
- Javelin & Shield
-
 Javelin & Shield
-
 Javelin & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Cursed Lance
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
-
 Ensorcelled Weapons
1 x Slaves to Darkness Chaos Spawn (50)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (140)
Bloodmarked Warband (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

Unless  I can't count or Battlescribe is wrong,  you need one more STD mortal unit to meet the requirement for the Bloodmarked Warband.  I think you need eight STD mortal units plus one STD mortal hero. I don't know much about how STD units play on the table, but it looks like the only option to meet the requirements is to take out a unit of Chaos Knights, and add two units  of Marauder Horsemen. Blood marked warband  is a hard battalion to build a Khorne army around but otherwise you've done a good job.  Don't forget about the Goretide  command ability,  you can zoom around your blood warrior and 'reaver unit to capture points or slow down enemy blenders. Keep in mind that reavers within the Rage of Khorne arua get +2 attacks because of frenzied devotion, so you can either run them around the table or use them to protect your Bloodsecrator.  Depending on what your meta is, I would consider taking out the Chaos Spawn for Hex-Gorger Skulls, in which case I would switch the Blood Sacrifice prayer for Bronzed Flesh or Killing Frenzy, assuming you were planning to use the Spawn as the Blood Sacrifice target.  This list is pretty mobile, and well rounded. The knights, marauders and chaos lords provide good hammers,  and with the Marauder horsemen running everywhere, you should maintain good board control. 

Is there a consensus on  what weapon and artefact you should have a DP use? The axe can do a lot of damage, but the sword seems more consistent . I've  heard dimensional blade on any of his weapons is really good, but I think that Ghyrstrike on his axe could make it do some serious damage. Are there any artefacts I should be considering I'm not? I'm trying to get consistent, good damage. 

After some mathhammer work, I found that the axe and claws should do more damage than the sword and claws, have you guys noticed the same thing in your experience?  I calculated his whole attack profile with one of his two weapons and claws against a 4+ save,  putting Ghyrstrike and Dimensional  blade on each weapon separately.  It looks like Ghyrstrike on the axe  and dimensional blade on the claws add up to almost the same amount of damage,  with each dealing roughly 7.5 wounds, with the dimensional blade on the claws having a slightly better chance of inflicting 12 wounds (going from 13% to 14% which I guess is almost negligible) . Do you guys have any thoughts on what you use on a Daemon Prince? 

Edited by ogarrah
Did some research

14 hours ago, ogarrah said:

Is there a consensus on  what weapon and artefact you should have a DP use? The axe can do a lot of damage, but the sword seems more consistent . I've  heard dimensional blade on any of his weapons is really good, but I think that Ghyrstrike on his axe could make it do some serious damage. Are there any artefacts I should be considering I'm not? I'm trying to get consistent, good damage. 

After some mathhammer work, I found that the axe and claws should do more damage than the sword and claws, have you guys noticed the same thing in your experience?  I calculated his whole attack profile with one of his two weapons and claws against a 4+ save,  putting Ghyrstrike and Dimensional  blade on each weapon separately.  It looks like Ghyrstrike on the axe  and dimensional blade on the claws add up to almost the same amount of damage,  with each dealing roughly 7.5 wounds, with the dimensional blade on the claws having a slightly better chance of inflicting 12 wounds (going from 13% to 14% which I guess is almost negligible) . Do you guys have any thoughts on what you use on a Daemon Prince? 

I typically build a Khorne prince with blade of judgement and send him hero/monster hunting. That build is best with the sword over axe in order to maximise the number of dice thrown for the MW which will pop on a 4+.

I've been using this as my newbie starter list for a bit, any thoughts on where to go from here? I'm not super competitive but interested to see where the list can improve and what new stuff I should buy. In addition to these I have a Khorgorath, Mighty Lord of Khorne, Gorebeast Chariot, a Bloodstoker, and 6 more Chaos Warriors. 

Should I be aiming for a Skull Altar and some Daemons for summoning? Been eyeing the Khorne half of the Wrath and Rapture box too. 

Leaders

Chaos Lord on Manticore (280)
- General
- Blade & Runeshield
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Blood Drinker

Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc

Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice

Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination

Battleline

15 x Blood Warriors (300)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives

10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

10 x Chaos Warriors (200)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units

10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Ensorcelled Weapons

3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)
- Ensorcelled Axes

Behemoths

Chaos Warshrine (170)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battalions

Gore Pilgrims (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146

On 2/23/2020 at 12:24 AM, ogarrah said:

You should go for axe as the default one becaus of math reliability, but there's a catch I think. I consider DPs to be hero hunters with their ability to hit things before buffs go off and characters are usually protected from either rend or mws, but not both. So you should take sword if you have a thirster already to diversify your damage sources.

As for artifact sword of judgement is the best for their hero hunting role, but I'd rather take an ethereal to protect him or the one that gives free CP ability use (I usually have Skarbrand to kill priority things).

3 hours ago, smartazjb0y said:

I've been using this as my newbie starter list for a bit, any thoughts on where to go from here? I'm not super competitive but interested to see where the list can improve and what new stuff I should buy. In addition to these I have a Khorgorath, Mighty Lord of Khorne, Gorebeast Chariot, a Bloodstoker, and 6 more Chaos Warriors. 

Should I be aiming for a Skull Altar and some Daemons for summoning? Been eyeing the Khorne half of the Wrath and Rapture box too. 

I’d definitely get the bloodstoker in there for a mortal heavy list.

Bump the mighty skullcrushers up to a unit of 6 and you’ll get more bang for your buck on the initial charge. Or drop the 3 out.

In the long run I’d probably look at swapping out the manticore for a daemon prince. In a gore tide a daemon prince is pretty insane with thronebreakers torc and hew the foe. Plus that command ability is nuts.

Get the alter for sure, that’s a must. 

In terms of daemons maybe just grab 5 flesh hounds. Since you’re running a goretide you probably won’t want to summon anything else. No double attack so probably not worth it. Hounds give you an unbind and vanilla reroll charge so you can try and get them in immediately. Or hang them back for an objective 

5 hours ago, smartazjb0y said:

This looks like the makings of a solid list.

My suggestions would be to not take Resanguination  (it's basically useless)  and take either killing frenzy or maybe brazen fury.  Also, if you're taking Blood sacrifice, I would suggest taking a Chaos Spawn as an easy cheap target. While on the subjects of priests, there is literally no reason whatsoever to not take the skull altar. A. It lets your priests ref you re roll prayers which is the difference between whiffing and having khorne blow your head off and smoking the enemy B. Take it for its casting debuff even if you don't use Slaughterpriests C. It doesn't cost any points and it looks cool so why not?

For Daemon summoning, hounds and bloodletters are your best bet. Hounds re roll charges automatically and letters can take a banner for free which allows them to do that as well, so it lets them get into combat a bit more consistently on that 9 inch charge, plus you can summon daemons right onto objectives (if they're in range) and cap points, so always have some daemon models to summon

For skullcrushers, in my experience it's either go big or go home, 6+ can do MAJOR damage if they get a charge, and they're tanky enough that they'll probably last the whole game. 3 of them won't do much except maybe be a bit of a tar pit

Bloodstoker is a good move, you can get a horde of whipped bloodreavers moving 20" +2d6 on the charge with the Goretide command ability and their horn blowers (I've built an entire list around this principle). Gives khorne a bit of movement shenanigans.

The chaos lord on the manticore is an AWESOME looking model, but for Goretide a DP or Chaos Lord on Karkadrak is definitely the way to go.

If you're interested in using Khorgoraths, like Skullcrushers, it's go big or go home, so if you want to use them effectively, you should probably get more, and maybe look into the Skulltake battalion and buy some face-melting Skullreapers as well

1 hour ago, Smooth criminal said:

You should go for axe as the default one becaus of math reliability, but there's a catch I think. I consider DPs to be hero hunters with their ability to hit things before buffs go off and characters are usually protected from either rend or mws, but not both. So you should take sword if you have a thirster already to diversify your damage sources.

As for artifact sword of judgement is the best for their hero hunting role, but I'd rather take an ethereal to protect him or the one that gives free CP ability use (I usually have Skarbrand to kill priority things).

I'm running my DP in a mortal goretide list, so I'm not taking any thirsters, I just want my DP to smack the pee out of anything he touches, heroes, monsters, hordes, wizards, parents, etc.  I thought the sword of judgement only goes off on a 6+, but I've heard that on a DP it goes off on a 4+,  does anybody have  proof/evidence that this is true?

Maybe I'll just magnetize my sword and axe so I can switch them out

Edited by ogarrah
Typo

So, been here a long time ago now.

How did the Khorne List meta evolve so far for #competetive play?

Did anyone find a way around those shooting heavy lists? Like Tzeentch being the new number one with shooting right now... .

Also, did anyone think about using an allied sorcerer in combination with the soulscream bridge?

Edited by Battlefury

16 hours ago, ogarrah said:

I'm running my DP in a mortal goretide list, so I'm not taking any thirsters, I just want my DP to smack the pee out of anything he touches, heroes, monsters, hordes, wizards, parents, etc.  I thought the sword of judgement only goes off on a 6+, but I've heard that on a DP it goes off on a 4+,  does anybody have  proof/evidence that this is true?

Maybe I'll just magnetize my sword and axe so I can switch them out

The sword of judgment is in the way it is written ie 6+ as opposed to an unmodified 6 which is how the 2MW on the Sword go off. It will go off on a 5+ on the charge due to the princes +1 to hit on the charge which also stacks with killing frenzy for the 4+. Conversely hit debuff will make it harder to get off. I combine this with hew the foe in a goretide list. He serves a dual purpose in charge debuff and hero killing. It works well.

If you want a pure beat stick then go for rend and hew the foe. Maybe dimensional blade on the talons with axe. Will give you a lot of high rend attacks. 

the other builds are more supportive in my opinion ie torc to make him immune to rend or crown for free charge debuff.

al are good builds but the best for you depends on the rest of your list. I tend to play foot slogging small infantry units so tend to have the tithe for command points or to have him take advantage of the tithe table, so the sword of judgement and hew the foe combination works well for me, but may not in list which finds it harder to get tithe.

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, smartazjb0y said:

If you have not built the lord yet then can I make a case for lance and sword build. Give him hew the foe and gorecleaver on the lance. On the charge he will be devastating as natural 6 to hit on lance is 7 damage plus rend. 

22 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Just saying, it could be benefitial to use, for being in combat pretty soon.

As that sorcerer I would recommend Sayl the Faithless, since he himself can teleport one Chaos unit across the battlefield.

He can only teleport slaves now 😟

if you want some to get across the board then do consider chaos marauders, they can do some crazy long charges now with the various buffs. Min 11 inch charge with a drummer and blood stoker, and I think can go even further with other buffs.

i would be wary of a sorceror as our innate antimagic will make it harder to get spells off and the Mage will also take up a leader slot. 

Not to say don’t do it, just be wary of the impliications

• Like 1