AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

If you do go with Bloodglaives I highly  recommend that you list build around them as they desperately need an accuracy buff of sorts. Killing Frenzy would be the easiest to apply to them since it's coming on Slaughterpriests who we already take, and the buff range is huge. Bloodglaives are really sad when they have to hit on 4's.

EDIT: Also keep in mind other units that require the same buffs that Skullcrushers want. I had a list where multiple units wanted the same Blood Blessings going on the Skullcrushers (I was taking Bronzed Flesh and Killing Frenzy), and they weren't doing that well without the Blessings. For example, don't take a lot of Bloodreavers in the same list ( 1 unit of 10 to fulfill a battalion should be all you should take), or anything else that natively hits on 4's.

Edited by AresX8
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 1:09 PM, Battlefury said:

Then I am thinking about to take 60 Blood Reavers to annoy the enemy and capture objectives just by pure mass of models.
The army would be very fragile, but maybe due to good movement I can just win by VP taken.

What I am not sure about yet, is wich heroes I would ass, since the army will be spread a lot across the table.
I was thinking about a SKullgridner with "Disciple of Khorne" and the "Sword of Judgement" just as a small wrecking ball.
A Priest will be there, just for the great support they provide.

What would you suggest?
I do have a fair large collection, including 7 Khorgoraths, 40 Blood Warriors and even more stuff.

Cheers///

An Exalted Deathbringer could be good for Brutal Command, to make sure nearby Bloodreavers stick around on objectives or just stay to gum up the works.

• Like 1

I’m building 6 crushers and I chose the axes, I don’t think -1 rend is worth only hitting on 4s.

For heavy shock cavalry they are pretty meh and lost the shield ability in this new book.

I will probably field them (if ever) as grinders/sponges, 18 attacks 3s 3s and a 3+ armour save is good to grind.

I got a question, that might be a little weirtd, and maybe even the answer to it might be a little obvious.

The Bloodreavers can have Banners, etc, but do they HAVE TO have those? Guess I could play groups without those, right?

Just asking, because I wanna use several 10er groups, to waste the opponents time and to have more board control, but only got 50% banners, chieftains and horns. So 3 of 6 groups would not have any og those, but thechnically I can nominate a chieftain for them.

Thos groups would serve as roadblock for maybe 1 or 2 turns, so that's why I am asking.

34 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

I got a question, that might be a little weirtd, and maybe even the answer to it might be a little obvious.

The Bloodreavers can have Banners, etc, but do they HAVE TO have those? Guess I could play groups without those, right?

Just asking, because I wanna use several 10er groups, to waste the opponents time and to have more board control, but only got 50% banners, chieftains and horns. So 3 of 6 groups would not have any og those, but thechnically I can nominate a chieftain for them.

Thos groups would serve as roadblock for maybe 1 or 2 turns, so that's why I am asking.

Yes you can have units without. Warscroll says 1 in 10 can have banner, not must have banner.

Just be clear with opponenT at the start

Edited by Praecautus
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2019 at 9:09 PM, Battlefury said:

@AresX8Great video! Keep it up :)

I am going to play in a local tournament with 1250 points armies. There will be 3 games with 3 different scenarios, and I am asking myself what to field.

What I think about is to just play stuff that is

a) fast
b) many models

I came up with:

10 Chaos Marauder Horsemen
5 Flesh Hounds
3 Mighty Skullcrushers
1 Skarr Bloodwrath

Then I am thinking about to take 60 Blood Reavers to annoy the enemy and capture objectives just by pure mass of models.
The army would be very fragile, but maybe due to good movement I can just win by VP taken.

What I am not sure about yet, is wich heroes I would ass, since the army will be spread a lot across the table.
I was thinking about a SKullgridner with "Disciple of Khorne" and the "Sword of Judgement" just as a small wrecking ball.
A Priest will be there, just for the great support they provide.

What would you suggest?
I do have a fair large collection, including 7 Khorgoraths, 40 Blood Warriors and even more stuff.

Cheers///

I think the best thing we have for small formats are warriors or reavers with goretide CP ability, gets a bricky unit where you want it turn 1. Also goretide makes bloodsecrator general into a very good fighter.

Skullreapers are bad because people tend to bring small elite units or monsters. I think the next best damage dealers after them in mortals are  heroes. Khorgoraths may be a good idea, seems better than crushers.

If you take priests I don't think dogs will be useful, priests cover the unbinds and dogs don't fight all that well and you already have battleline filled.

I'd go with: bloodsecrator, bloodstoker, priest, skarr, 6xreavers, dark feast battalion and you have 320 points leaftover which gives you exactly 10 mongers (for skarr's ability) and a 40pt endless prayer. You actually can buff reavers to 4 attacks per dude here which will make them able to clear chaff off objectives by themselves.

• Like 1

Apologies if someone covered this in the past, but, interesting thought with Skullreapers. Their "Trial of Skulls" ability reads "You can re-roll hit rolls for attacks made by this unit if the target unit has 5 or more models". That means you can re-roll both failures, and importantly, successes.  I had only been re-rolling fails, but with this you can re-roll all of those 1s. 2s. 3s. 4s and 5s! You are basically fishing for more 6's to get mortal wounds as 6's to hit trigger a mortal wound in addition to other damage.  Reapers put out a lot of attacks and being able to re-roll all those dice to fish for more mortal wounds seems pretty good to me! Pick up a few extra mortal wounds here or there.  I am usually pretty happy with how my Skullreapers perform, and am excited to see how they perform with this little boost

On 9/8/2019 at 2:53 PM, MOMUS said:

I’m building 6 crushers and I chose the axes, I don’t think -1 rend is worth only hitting on 4s.

For heavy shock cavalry they are pretty meh and lost the shield ability in this new book.

I will probably field them (if ever) as grinders/sponges, 18 attacks 3s 3s and a 3+ armour save is good to grind.

This is also my favorite way to go with. It also makes the game faster when you can smoothly roll 6/8/10 dice per model with 3+/3+ without having to think too much. Whenever I play them, I do so for the impact damage in the hope to get whatever I charged dead so I can charge in the next hero Phase with Bloodtithe. They work perfectly as an anvil unit that can bite a chunk of your enemies lines before keeping them at bay.

2 hours ago, Sigmalthus said:

Apologies if someone covered this in the past, but, interesting thought with Skullreapers. Their "Trial of Skulls" ability reads "You can re-roll hit rolls for attacks made by this unit if the target unit has 5 or more models". That means you can re-roll both failures, and importantly, successes.  I had only been re-rolling fails, but with this you can re-roll all of those 1s. 2s. 3s. 4s and 5s! You are basically fishing for more 6's to get mortal wounds as 6's to hit trigger a mortal wound in addition to other damage.  Reapers put out a lot of attacks and being able to re-roll all those dice to fish for more mortal wounds seems pretty good to me! Pick up a few extra mortal wounds here or there.  I am usually pretty happy with how my Skullreapers perform, and am excited to see how they perform with this little boost

Indeed this also means they’re amazing against great saves even though they lack rend as you end up with nearly 1/3 mortal wounds (11/36) or more than 1 per model when you re roll all non 6s. Even more so as it’s not hard to buff them to 6 attacks per model for nearly 2 MW per model.

I have a question about Skarbrand's "Skarbrand's Rage" ability. Can he use this in the second round if he didn't fight in the first, or does he have to stay out of combat until round 3 to use it?

The text of the ability is this: From the second battle round, if this model is on the battlefield and did not attack in at least one of the combat phases of the previous battle round, when you look up a value on this model’s damage table the model is treated as having suffered 13 wounds.

17 hours ago, Zamik said:

I have a question about Skarbrand's "Skarbrand's Rage" ability. Can he use this in the second round if he didn't fight in the first, or does he have to stay out of combat until round 3 to use it?

The text of the ability is this: From the second battle round, if this model is on the battlefield and did not attack in at least one of the combat phases of the previous battle round, when you look up a value on this model’s damage table the model is treated as having suffered 13 wounds.

The former, he's ready to go turn 2.

The purpose of the 'second round' part is most likely just to discourage players from arguing that he had no combat at turn 0, an undefined state or before he was taken out of storage and therefore is incandescent turn 1...

• Like 1

I’m playing in a 1000pt doubles event in October with secondary and tertiary objectives.

3 games with staggered points for major win - major loss

secondary objectives are 5 points each, chosen once per game

tertiary objectives are 1 point each but can be done every game for generic things (killing general)

Ive thought about a couple ways to go with khorne, either loads of units for maximum tithe, or power units. In the end I’ve gone for the latter:

WoKBT general

BTUF

priest

3x5 dogs

The thing I’m not sure on is whether to take the priest or star blood wrath, priest is all round better piece but one of the secondary objectives can be easily scored by skarr and his summon ability (need hero in opponents territory)  

FBBD9717-0811-4659-B258-FFBAF03E0BC6.png

I think the priest would be the more reliable choice with the prayers, blessings and judgements. 

Skarr is great and I am big fan of him right now, however you have 2 fast flyers with the thirsters and the priest will make them better.  So that overcomes some of the lack of deepstrike by taking the priest

Hey all! New to the hobby, and thinking of what army to go with (I have Soul Wars but neither SCE nor Nighthaunt quite scratch the itch for me). After poking around with my limited understanding of the rules, it seems that you can get a fair amount of model flexibility with a Khorne army: naturally you get the mortals and daemons, but then StD can get the Khorne mark, and a BoC battalion can get the Khorne keyword. The idea of running a Khorne army with basically 4 separate "races" really appeals to me, and after poking through the various box sets for each (Start Collecting, Battleforces, Wrath and Rapture), I managed to cobble together a 2k list with all 4 "races." But since I'm not super knowledgeable about rules and haven't ever really played seriously, I have no idea how to evaluate it. 

Is the idea of having a mortals/daemons/StD/BoC Khorne army even viable at the outset? Or without even seeing an army list can you guys probably say that it just wouldn't work? 

On 9/14/2019 at 10:58 AM, MOMUS said:

The thing I’m not sure on is whether to take the priest or star blood wrath, priest is all round better piece but one of the secondary objectives can be easily scored by skarr and his summon ability (need hero in opponents territory)  

Priest gives you tithes which you can convert in a number of things, he's better than skarr.

I would take skarr instead of 1 dog unit.

4 hours ago, smartazjb0y said:

Hey all! New to the hobby, and thinking of what army to go with (I have Soul Wars but neither SCE nor Nighthaunt quite scratch the itch for me). After poking around with my limited understanding of the rules, it seems that you can get a fair amount of model flexibility with a Khorne army: naturally you get the mortals and daemons, but then StD can get the Khorne mark, and a BoC battalion can get the Khorne keyword. The idea of running a Khorne army with basically 4 separate "races" really appeals to me, and after poking through the various box sets for each (Start Collecting, Battleforces, Wrath and Rapture), I managed to cobble together a 2k list with all 4 "races." But since I'm not super knowledgeable about rules and haven't ever really played seriously, I have no idea how to evaluate it. 

Is the idea of having a mortals/daemons/StD/BoC Khorne army even viable at the outset? Or without even seeing an army list can you guys probably say that it just wouldn't work? 

Having all races in a single list is bad because you generally want at least 1 build around battalion and those don't support mixing. In fact BoC just straight up requires you to rake a battalion to mark them. It's better to just switch races for variety.

Also stay clear of StD until they get a book. 

@smartazjb0y I wouldnt say that its bad or even that it isnt viable, just that it might not be the most competitive from a tournament perspective, then again it might do alright. If this is for casual games at home or in store then go for it! If you are worried about winning even in a casual setting then like any list it comes down to synergy and how you use it. Does have it have sufficient screening units, speed, hammers and anvils? Are you focusing on killing or playing to objectives?

Some tips for building that list;

• As Smooth Criminal said, the Beasts of Chaos can only take the mark of khorne via the Brass Despoilers battalion. So maybe start with that, work out the minimum requirements so you know how many points you have left for other stuff. If you want Bullgor then you probably want a Doombull as the leader option to support them. If you just want Bestigors or Gors then the Beastlord is a cheaper option. 
  • Decide on a slaughterhost as your choice of host may influence which units you go for (and because who doesnt like free rules?). Either of the mortal ones might be the better choice as any Slaves to Darkness units will benefit via the mortal keyword (Beast of Chaos wont benefit from any host abilities, although a doombull general wouldnt hate the Goretide command trait of +1 DMG to his axe and horns). 
  • When mixing all those factions you should look for buffs that effect units with the khorne keyword without being specific to mortals or daemons. Slaughter priests are great for this with their prayers, bloodsecrator and wrathmongers give extra attacks to any khorne.

Heres a sample list for you with plenty of hammers (Doombull, Bloodthirster, 2 x units of Bullgors) a decent anvil (Blood warriors- who can benefit from the goretide command ability to get onto an objective), screening units (2 x flesh hounds, Gors), a fast flanker (chaos knights) and solid support (2 x slaughterpriests, bloodsecrator, wrathmongers). Everything has a role to play and it has 143 wounds to chew through!;

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Doombull of Khorne (120)
- General
- Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)

Battleline
10 x Gors of Khorne (70)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives

Units
3 x Bullgors of Khorne (160)
3 x Bullgors of Khorne (160)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons

Battalions
Brass Despoilers (190)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Battlefury said:

Anyone intel on how Skarbrand actually performs on the board?

Due to his numbers he should be ok, but I am wondering if I should really take him into my Tyrants list, or maybe just another BThirster.

He’s almost certainly the deadliest model in the game, so that’s something. Run him Reapers, keep him in range of a Bloodsecrator and Wrathmongers and just watch the magic. 

Be warned that he is fragile though, so don’t get him engaged in round 1, and completely surround him with friendlies. Sending him away from protective chaff is a death sentence, and a waste of his potential.

• Like 2