AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hi guys

Im hoping to start a Khorne army but I’m not a fan of the red colour. I know that probably upsets Khorne but I’ve tried a test model with this icy theme and I wanted some feedback before I start painting 100 bloodreavers! 

Its worth mentioning that I’ll be making a mortal army, I love the Norse marauder theme!E688E872-E869-4E55-B76C-F535B8100D14.jpeg.cb1943454402e03a1a0f9af2a8e53614.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Hi guys

Im hoping to start a Khorne army but I’m not a fan of the red colour. I know that probably upsets Khorne but I’ve tried a test model with this icy theme and I wanted some feedback before I start painting 100 bloodreavers! 

Its worth mentioning that I’ll be making a mortal army, I love the Norse marauder theme!E688E872-E869-4E55-B76C-F535B8100D14.jpeg.cb1943454402e03a1a0f9af2a8e53614.jpeg

Welcome to the fold my frozen friend!

IMG_20190724_194917.jpg

• Like 5

Alright, battle report time. Had a 3 round tourney  against 2 skaven and an ironjaws player. Came in overall 3rd. My list did surprisingly well considering that I was expecting to get stomped, especially since I hadn't practiced at all with this particular configuration.

My list: 2,000ptst, Blades of Khorne, skullfiends tribe.

Spoiler

- Brass despoilers 

doombull - general, crowncleaver

4x3 bullgor - 2 handed axes

3x10 gors - shields

2x5 centigor

- bloodsecrator - banner of wrath

- 2 slaughterpriests - killing frenzy, bronzed flesh

-2x 5 wrathmongers

-(allies) 10 ungor raiders

Battle 1: starstrike, A central graveyard with a gate on the skaven side, surrounded by walls on 3 of the 4 sides, There wasn't any other terrain separating us but a crater, so I'll ignore that.

Spoiler

Opponent's list: 1990pts Skaventide

Spoiler

- Thanquol

- verminlord on broodhorror

- greyseer - general, get command points back on a 5+, reroll the rolls to see if he gets it

- plague priest on plague furnace - knew 3 prayers, rather than 1

- 2x20 clanrats

- 40 plague monks - fetid blades

- 40 stormvermin

the warpgale endless spell

I spread myself across the board in my standard chaff screen formations and set up on the side of the graveyard that didn't have a wall. My raiders frolicked forwards and fired some pot shots at the plague monks, killing 2. Otherwise I just moved forwards a bit. In response he inched closer and launched the gale into the center of my army. Fortunately for me he didn't get many d3 mortals to happen (in the 2 tries he got at it *grumble*) and only killed a centigor and scattered a few wounds onto bullgors and the bronzed flesh priest. In the battleshock phase he combined Thanquol and his general to give himself 4 command points. (one point on a rerolling 5+ per unit within 12" of the general which Thanquol let him do for free. Was surprised when this didn't get patched out in the FAQ. But then they still have the + # of command points to attacks ability on the forge world guy too, so...)

My opponent won the turn roll off and  the first objective landed in the gateway of the graveyard, putting it squarely between our lines. He moved clan rats and monks towards my right, and pushed his clanrat chaff at the objective while covering his stormvermin still. Here is where  we both made a crucial mistake, there was a miniscule gap in his lines, and if I could get one of my bullgor units over there, I could inflict heavy losses on them, potentially knocking one of his hammers out of the game. I on the other hand decided that the gate simply would open for whomever, and wouldn't actually cost models the 3 inches to climb over. It's a gate afterall. Little did I know how much this would cost me down the line. The gale did its thing and killed a bullgor and a centigor with another 4 wounds between my priests. The clanrats and monks charged, killing the raiders and 3 gors. The doombull killed 19 monks in return and suffered 5 wounds because of it (mortals on death). My opponent then generated another 4 command points for a total of 9.  My turn I moved my heroes out of the gale and failed to dispel it, but I did boil his general to death. No more infinite command points! A bit too late, but the last wizard was in the aura of rerolling cast, so that should help. I moved 2 units of bullgors to potentially give it a go for making it to the gap and killing some stormvermin, the other bulls set up to take out the right flank. I moved the depleted bulls and a unit of gors to grab the objective.  Another centigor died to the gale (forgot to move them) along with 3 gors. That thing is annoying, especially since they basically can autocast it with Thanquol. Oh well. It was time for charges! Time to destroy them! … And both units of bullgors rolled 4s for their charge. With the gale shepherding my heroes away from the left side with the gap I had no rerolls. Damn. That was unlucky. Especially since they needed 6" and 9" respectively to reach it. I could still recover though. a bullgor unit barely touched the monks through a gap and the other centigors charged their flank. The units in the graveyard made their charges and the bullgors on the left hit the flank of the chaff screen.  6 monks, 15 central rats, 7 right hand rats, my bullgors that touched the monks, the doombull, 4 gors on the right, and a centigor died. I did take the objective though  and the central rats fled to battleshock.

Alright, turn roll off. If I got this I could smash into his lines and more or less prevent him from scoring, giving me the match. So of course I lose the priority roll. The objectives drop by my wrarthmongers on the left, and unoccupied space on his side by the plague furnace. For his turn the furnace grabbed his objective while the stormvermin set up to charge  both objectives and I forgot that a unit could only grab one objective, I don't think it would have mattered though. They got +6 attacks and charged 1 wrathmonger unit, and both central units, easily wiping them all out.(here's where the gate thing screwed me again. The difference between 4 rats making it in vs 16. Oh well.) 7 vermin were killed by blood frenzy. He grabbed all of the objectives and then it was my turn. We had 13 minutes left in the round so I speed played and sent the centigors to grab the right objective and the battered unit to grab mine while the remaining bullgors and wrathmongers went to kill the stormvermin.  I unfortunately forgot to dispell the gale and lost a bullgor to it. My remaining hammers both charged in. Knowing the terrible potential of the bulls I went with them first. Of course then they whiff horribly and get only 2 hits through (with a mortal), killing 7. *sigh* He strikes back killing 2 wrathmongers who in return kill 13 storm vermin. Apparently should have gone with them first. Ah well. With that (and a command point spent to keep them there) my opponent pulled out a major win. Close as heck though.

I had half a dozen chances to turn that one around and I failed each one. My dice were not very hot that game. Ah, well. Had gors waiting on the left to sweep in and grab skaven's meteor if it landed on my left or centrally and I don't think he would have been able to grab it if it was behind them. I unfortunately didn't think to move them on the last turn, they might have swung it in my favor.  Also entirely forgot about the wrath banner, could have potentially swung the game too. Lots of mistakes on my part. The raiders were surprisingly helpful. They kind of saved the right flank from a potentially devastating double turn. The bulls in threes seemed to have enough threat to potentially do real damage, but the not being able to buff more of them was not so good. Not sure of the value of bronzed flesh on mostly 5+ armour models, maybe it's best on gors? The other prayers just don't seem very useful to the army and since I can't spread the + 1 to hit love... hmm. Doombul did well. Definitely felt the magical pain this game, and discovered one of Thanquol's spells can ignore our bloodsecrator per turn. Crazy stuff. He said he was sweating during the entire match and had no idea how to deal with my double screen. Also said how beastmen consistently surprise him. Despite the horrors of the rat, it was fun.

MVPs: raiders + centigor for the A+ chaffing and objective grabbing.

Battle 2: Shifting objectives vs Skaven (skryer) A massive tower sat centrally with once again little of note between our sides on the left or right besides craters. He placed a gnaw hole behind my lines in the center with a corresponding one on his and he put the last one on my right by the objective.

Spoiler

My opponent's list: 2,000pts, skaventide, skryer (the names(/spelling) are probably wrong on a lot of this)

Spoiler

- The big ol' Skryer battalion

arch warlock - general

2x3 stormfiends

15 acolytes

10 jezails

2 warp lightning cannons

warplock engineer - more, more warp power

warplock bombadier

- warpfire team

- rattling gun team

Vermintide (tide of rats)

On the left was stormfiends, the rattling team, the engineer, the jezails, and a cannon. On his center was the acolytes and the bombardier. While the right was held by the arch-warlock, a cannon, the stormfiendsand the warpfire team on the far right. I put my centigors and a gor unit on my left and had the center held by my first formation of 2 bulls and a gor screen, backed up by wrathmongers the secrator, and both priests. (my altar was on the left middle) The right had a the same formation, but with the heroes replaced by the doombull hiding in the woods. My raiders were on the right and moved up to prevent him from using the gnaw hole to get on the objective.

Turn one and my opponent chose to go first. The primary was on the right hand objective. I believe he wanted to teleport the acolytes onto it, but when that didn't work he sort of forgot about them and they just shuffled forward. The right flank advanced, and managed to grab the objective. The cannon did  mortals to my ungors and 2 later fled. I think he forgot about the tower objective because he didn't move anyone in range of it. His left moved up and unleashed a fusillade on my centigors, killing 8 and 2 gors. I used  a command point to keep the centis around. My turn I buffed the save of the central gors and charged in. I grabbed the tower with the right hand gors and used them to screen the advancing bulls. The raiders moved up and grabbed the right hand objective while on the left the centigors and central gors got right in the faces of the jezails and cannon. The left gors barely managed to grab that objective (bad run roll) and onto combats. Both of my units got into them and tied his shooters down. Suprisingly they managed 7 wounds on the cannon for nothing in return.

My opponent won the turn roll off and decided to go first. He buffed all the rattling guns on the left with re-rolls and + 1 damage.  He then moved the acolytes up to take the tower whilst both sets of storm fiends moved to destroy my units on the objectives. The jezzails and warp lightning cannon destroyed my units holding them up, but (because "when you play skryer you must overcharge") the cannon detonated itself n the process. The rattling gun team opened up on the bullgor unit, killing 2 of them while the stormfiends ripped the gors apart. On the right the raiders were obliterated by the cannon whilst the acolytes killed off the bullgors by the tower. Ouch. My turn and I boiled the bombardier and the rattling team  to death before generally advancing. At this point I summoned 10 flesh hounds to retake the right hand objective. 4 bulls and 5 wrathmongers vs 3 fiends and the engineer on the left with 10 gors and 5 wrathmongers vs the acolytes in the center and 10 flesh hounds and 3 bulls vs 3 fiends and the warpfire team on the right. Rounding it out we had our generals "dueling" behind the acolytes. End result : 6 fiends, 10 acolytes and the engineer killed for 4 flesh hounds and a gor. Ouch back. Oh, the arch warlock of course fled combat against the doombull, little rat that he is.

Final turn and I won the roll off. To sum it up, I tabled him this turn with the exception of the cannon which died on his turn. The doombull managed to catch the arch warlock and with a ring of gors to force the fight to occur. No retreat! 

Thoughts: The centigors, despite being mulched were probably the mvp in this game. Tying his fire base down for even one turn was huge. The summoned hounds allowed me to not have to worry about retaking the right objective which was nice, and the raiders were also pretty huge. Preventing the turn 1 teleport and then stealing the objective was cheeky. Not bad for 80pts. I thinking about trying to get another unit in my list. I don't think I can without compromising effectiveness elsewhere, but food for thought.

Battle 3: Duality of Death vs Ironjaws. This was on the same map with the tower in the center, but I was deploying where the skaven were.

Spoiler

My opponent's list:

Spoiler

- Gordrakk the fist of Gork

- Weirdnob shaman

- The formation that lets you respawn 'ard boys

Warchanter + battleshock immunity artifact

3x10 'ard boys

- 'Ard fist (The standard lets you get make a free d6 move if the boss is alive)

2x5 brutes

3 goregruntas

The battle: Deployment and is a bit funky in duality of death. A square in each corner with objectives in the center of the field on the right and left. I set up 20 gors, 6 bulls, a wrathmonger and centigor mob and a priest on the left while the right had my primary strength, for they had to contend with Gordrakk and the brutes while the left was the respawn formation of 'ard boys with the support heroes.

Turn 1: My opponent chose for me to go first and thus I went straight for the objectives. I planted the doombull on the right hand objective behind a wall of gors who were also waiting behind the raiders. The bulls sat behind the gors closer to the tower with the flaily boys. The left was grabbed by gors, but I wasn't overly concerned about the possibility of 'ard boys grabbing it from them as the bulls should be able to handle it. Surprisingly the raiders actually killed a brute which then caused another to flee as my turn ended. His turn he activated Gordrakk's waaagh and gave the 'ard fist a 3d6 charge. Gordrakk couldn't quite fit his massive base around my chaff and thus was forced to charge them instead of the doombull holding the objective. He killed both chaff units easily.

Turn 2: I won the roll off and it was at a critical time. I boiled a handful of wounds off of gordrakk before charging all the bulls at his line. It was pretty brutal. Gordrakk took 9 wounds from the doombull who took 5 back from him. The brutes all died and I took out 8 or so 'ard boys from various units. I didn't want them respawning yet. I used my blood tithe to finish off the fist of Gork and it was mostly a downhill slide from here for my opponent. He surrendered after turn 3 when his respawned 'ard boys failed to kill the doombull and were wiped out for their troubles. At one point I used a command point to keep the gors holding the left objective in place from surprise gore gruntas.

MVP: Gonna have to be between the raiders for blocking Gordrakk from just heading straight at my doombull and the manbeast himself for slaying such a dangerous foe. 

• Like 3

On 9/1/2019 at 8:08 PM, THUNDERHAMMER said:
Spoiler

Welcome to the fold my frozen friend!

IMG_20190724_194917.jpg

I might be playing too much age of wonders, but I can't help but think of your guys as frostling berserkers now. Your warband seems to be coming along nicely. Man, that red is striking in all those cool colors.

On 9/1/2019 at 7:25 AM, NorthernNurgling said:

Spoiler

E688E872-E869-4E55-B76C-F535B8100D14.jpeg.cb1943454402e03a1a0f9af2a8e53614.jpeg

Like what MOMUS said, I feel a contrasting color is needed. Otherwise he'll blend together too much on the tabletop. The skin would be a good choice unless you plan on having lots of blood warriors. Then the grey armour will overwhelm or cover the skin. I'd say a brighter armour, but that kind of defeats the whole frozen theme. On the other hand this guy feels very gritty, so if that's what you were going for, mission accomplished. I know this would be conversion work, but adding more of that white cloth to other (especially more armoured) models could keep the cold gritt feel while adding warmth (literally and metaphorically) to the model. Furs would work too.

20 hours ago, phizzco said:

Spoiler

20180609_125206.jpg

Nice blending work. I might have to try posting some of my stuff when I get it all presentable. Warcry has been distracting over here lately though.

• Like 1

Hey team, I absolutely embarrassed a close mate of mine last outing with a reapers lineup. He runs Stormcast and is talking a big shooting game for our next meeting. 4 ballistas at least. Probably some Vanguard Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows too.

Has anyone had any success with a list against heavy shooting? I’ve got around 5k to pick and choose from.  No Exalted Deathbringer, Skulltaker, Skullgrinder, Bloodcrushers or Skar  Bloodwrath basically. I was planning on a tyrants lineup but now I’m not too sure.

3 hours ago, Troll.exe said:

Hey team, I absolutely embarrassed a close mate of mine last outing with a reapers lineup. He runs Stormcast and is talking a big shooting game for our next meeting. 4 ballistas at least. Probably some Vanguard Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows too.

Has anyone had any success with a list against heavy shooting? I’ve got around 5k to pick and choose from.  No Exalted Deathbringer, Skulltaker, Skullgrinder, Bloodcrushers or Skar  Bloodwrath basically. I was planning on a tyrants lineup but now I’m not too sure.

Have less drops than him.

Alpha-strike him as best as possible

Control where his units can come down.

Don't lose priority.

Roll well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Troll.exe said:

Important bit: Xasz is right. Unfortunately that fight will greatly come around to priority rolls and the like. Speed and durability will be your greatest assets. Allying in some vanguard units (pre game movers) to prevent useful deepstrikes would help or just going first to apply high pressure on his zones. And if all else fails, focus on the objectives! This is based off of my limited experience fighting all shooting armies, but...

Babbling: Crushers of either variety could be helpful, fastish and reasonably durable. Bloodthirsters I feel would be a bad investment against shootcast. Getting past his shields will be difficult if he's smart about it, but if he leaves his fire base exposed you could just tie them down and score. My game against a sylvaneth nightmare gunline (18 Kurnoths with bows *shudder*) was me getting shot to pieces as I just sequentially tied down his shooters and racked up points. His shooters shouldn't have too much combat punch, so even a 5 man blood warrior unit could probably keep them busy for 1-2 turns (depending on how his shooting goes).Terrain will also be a huge ally to you. A couple of line of sight blocking pieces generally should be on the table and remember that they can't see more than an inch through trees. Stormcast shooting while fearsome, isn't actually very consistent. They mostly rely on that -2 rend and lord ordinators, otherwise it's just too reliant on dice rolls. Four 5+ shots for d6 to wound rolls isn't terribly reliable for consistent murder.  So the thirsters could work, or even other slower moving units, but staying power would be key in such a list. Last but certainly not least, objectives,  objectives, objectives! Win the objectives and it doesn't matter how shattered your army is.

Go get 'em!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Important bit: Xasz is right. Unfortunately that fight will greatly come around to priority rolls and the like. Speed and durability will be your greatest assets. Allying in some vanguard units (pre game movers) to prevent useful deepstrikes would help or just going first to apply high pressure on his zones. And if all else fails, focus on the objectives! This is based off of my limited experience fighting all shooting armies, but...

Go get 'em!

Lots to take in from that cheers. I’m starting to get a picture in my mind of how I need to approach this.

Im expecting Lord Arcanum as general so he can run 3x5 sequitors as his battleline with lord castellant in behind with staunch defender and maybe some evocators. So that’s most likely what I’ll have to punch through first.

Ill take 6mighty skullcrushers. Also considering a BoIR with an ethereal amulet to soak up some shooting. I could run a gore tide to close the gap faster but I doubt I’ll be able to make it through those sequitors.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troll.exe said:

Im expecting Lord Arcanum as general so he can run 3x5 sequitors as his battleline with lord castellant in behind with staunch defender and maybe some evocators. So that’s most likely what I’ll have to punch through first.

Super save: Always troublesome dealing with a 2+ re-rollable . In my experience skullreapers can easily rip through sequitors, regardless of buffs (on the sequitors). Or you could judgment and/or blood boil the annoying save buffer off the field. Mortal wounds are your friend in competitive environment where you might expect stormcast. Mostly for such troublesome nuts to crack. Six d3 mortals would likely do it against a 5 man unit and probably convince him to commit the evocators, but I wouldn't expect him to let you keep the buff #. From personal experience, don't expect even -2 rend to reliably get through that type of save. Also of note, the sequitur unit loses it's save re-roll once all of the shields go down (unless they changed the scroll). 

"Tactics": I might suggest using the thirster as bait or for hunting the likes of his evocators, ballistae, or heroes. If he's staunch defendering that means a tight formation. Either of the damage judgments could do some work on such a tightly packed group of waiting skulls. (you have to get that close first though) In my experience shootcast encourages sloppy plays, especially with such a large sky force (presumably). He's likely to split his forces with the drop letting you hit his piece meal army with all of yours. After all, stormcast aren't terribly fast and if he charges you, he loses staunch defender. Do remember the -1 to hit him when he drops in thing and the suicide bomber potential of their wizards(plus that respawn thing). Beyond all that there is one vital tip for everything.

#1 TIP:  Relax. Overstressing and overthinking can kill your men just as surely as the enemy. If you play smart you'll be fine.

Good luck and ...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

@AresX8Great video! Keep it up :)

I am going to play in a local tournament with 1250 points armies. There will be 3 games with 3 different scenarios, and I am asking myself what to field.

What I think about is to just play stuff that is

a) fast
b) many models

I came up with:

10 Chaos Marauder Horsemen
5 Flesh Hounds
3 Mighty Skullcrushers
1 Skarr Bloodwrath

Then I am thinking about to take 60 Blood Reavers to annoy the enemy and capture objectives just by pure mass of models.
The army would be very fragile, but maybe due to good movement I can just win by VP taken.

What I am not sure about yet, is wich heroes I would ass, since the army will be spread a lot across the table.
I was thinking about a SKullgridner with "Disciple of Khorne" and the "Sword of Judgement" just as a small wrecking ball.
A Priest will be there, just for the great support they provide.

What would you suggest?
I do have a fair large collection, including 7 Khorgoraths, 40 Blood Warriors and even more stuff.

Cheers///

• Like 2

Someone gave me the last Blades of KHorne book after the new one came out.  Is there much a difference in the rules?  I'm looking specifically at the rules being a Beasts öf Chaos player.  So using the BoC warband, likely all Beasts units (depending) and mostly the way Khorne has bloodtithe etc.  I have the app so I have updated warscrolls adn GHB 2019 so I have points.

Thanks kindly.

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Someone gave me the last Blades of KHorne book after the new one came out.  Is there much a difference in the rules?  I'm looking specifically at the rules being a Beasts öf Chaos player.  So using the BoC warband, likely all Beasts units (depending) and mostly the way Khorne has bloodtithe etc.  I have the app so I have updated warscrolls adn GHB 2019 so I have points.

Thanks kindly.

There is really a lot of difference now.

Coming from BoC you can only play within a single Battalion, that will be granted the Khorne keyword. That does not include all of the BoC units, but Bestigors, beastlord etc. Really just a few as a choice.
Otherwise you can add any BoC unit, that would gain the Khorne keyword via it's warscroll. But as far as I remember, there is none of them.

Gonna pm you for further information regarding the Blades of Khorne Book.

• Like 1