AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

15 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Greetings. 

Is it possible to build a competitive mortal list including Skarbrand? I prefer mortals but really love the Skarbrand model.

You can pretty much staple Skarbrand or a generic Bloodthirster onto any mortal list and it would instantly get significantly better.

As it stands, the current BoK book is even more polarizing than the previous iteration. Daemons provide the main damage dealers and mortals bring chaff, supporters and "cheap" battalions (at least in terms of competitive lists).

You could swap out the 30 Bloodletters for 10 Skullreapers in the list I posted earlier. Then it would consist of pure mortals except Skarbrand and one BToUF, should be a rather competitive setup.

• Like 1

Hello all fellow headhunters.

Ive been thinking about making a tyrants of blood list but with a combo to take 3 bloodpoints on the beggining of the 1 turn so i can move the rage thirster to combate in turn 1. While i can pile in 6" so i dont actívate the locus habilities.

For the moment ive think about using riptooth and razorgors, and Kill them both with the sacrifice blesing and the bleeding icono, aldo using the axel if necesary. Tus way i can collect 3 bloodpoints in the beggining of the hero fase.

Edited by Mikelomba

@Mikelomba pretty risky strategy. A more reliable way would be to run Blood Lords. Make Insensate Rage the General for +4 movement, use a CP to make him run 6 (if you don't roll a natural 6 first) and that's 20" of movement with the 6" pile in provided you can keep the Unfettered Fury within 16" (not too difficult). This way there are no dice rolls needed and you can save your bloodtithe for something else.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:05 PM, whiskeytango said:

Whats the most anti-magic list for 1500pts you guys can come up with? I'm thinking it would have to be Reapers of Vengeance, and include Karanak and a WoK Thirster.

Take a look at the blood hunt battalion. Add 1 to wound rolls is only an added bonus, it gets you all your denying goodness in 1 package and thus 1 single drop.

Minimum size, that's 860 points + 5 denies. (WoK, karanak, 3x5 hounds, battalion) Add on a couple slaughterpriests for more denies and access to skulls, add skulls, taking you to 1100. From there you've got quite a lot of options, there aren't really anymore things that hinder/deny magic.

A bloodsecrator does however, and is never a bad choice for a khorne list- takes list to 1220.

From there you could do many things. Add 6 bloodcrushers into the battalion, plug on another bloodthirster, take more flesh hounds, anything else.

So the list would be:

Secrator

2 priests + skulls

Bloodhunt

WoK

Karanak

3x5 hounds

Whatever else you want for 280. Personally I'd go for a bloodthirster of IR as gives more killing power and rule of cooool. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Hey.
My friend likes to run khornate daemons, but hasn't had much success with them. Any particular hints or tricks I can pass on to him?

I am not a daemon player; however, make sure to take a blood secrator and  1-2 priests - their buffs are just too good to ignore

You don’t say what list he is running, but assume he has 2-3 thirsters in there. 

After those, any other leaders are not going to fit in. Except karanak as he does not take a leader slot

On 8/9/2019 at 6:09 PM, AresX8 said:

Hello everyone!

Part 2 of the Murderhost on Storm of Blood, my YouTube channel, is LIVE!

Check it out here: 

Thanks for the idea, i reaaaly loved it.

I tested your list with just minor tweaks because i don't like Karanak a lot.

BToUF General with skullmantle

BToIR with Amberglaive

2 priests +1to hit and sacrifice (i don't like +1armor)

bloodsecrator

Skulltaker

2X10 Bloodletter +2X5 hounds

2X5 Wrathmongers

Murderhost.

Tested it against a fellow HoS friend with 2 flying Keepers, mirror, 10 seekers and 3X5 flayers+ a herald on exachariot.

Was on Battle for the pass on ghyran

He scooped turn4, being (almost) tabled. The combination of Rejoice in slaughter and Leave none alive is absolutely brutal against him.

He had poor luck on a couple of locus but from my Pov this was just a bonus for me and not decisive. He also lost his chariot too early due to unexpected bloodboil.

What was new for me was the extensive use of the first reward of the Blood Tithe table. Basically, you can blood sacrifice, then immediately turn the Tithe into a CP.

Blood tithe usage : 2 extra CP, a free move for wrathmongers and a WOKBT summoning.

Edited by kozokus

On 8/13/2019 at 9:05 PM, whiskeytango said:

Whats the most anti-magic list for 1500pts you guys can come up with? I'm thinking it would have to be Reapers of Vengeance, and include Karanak and a WoK Thirster.

I think it would be Gore pilgrims based list.

Go low drop, run forward turn 1 with your secrator 24" bubble and summon skulls. You will also have 3 priests for unbinds/endless spell clearing.

The rest of the list should be focused on dealing damage, probably reapers of vengeance with thirsters (you can fit 2 at 1.5k and max out hero slots) or karanak or whatever.

That one battalion with wok+karanak+dogs is a good alternative, but I think that big secrator bubble is still the king of antimagic.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:44 PM, Amradiel said:

Greetings. 

Is it possible to build a competitive mortal list including Skarbrand? I prefer mortals but really love the Skarbrand model.

I would argue that you should include skarbrand in every competitive khorne list.

Skarbrand + fight twice = everything in melee with him dies.  He's the king of melee, nothing else in Khorne comes close for 380pt, next thing would be skullreapers, but they can't fight twice.

And he's super easy to include because he needs no support besides secrator that you already take.

1 hour ago, Smooth criminal said:

I would argue that you should include skarbrand in every competitive khorne list.

Skarbrand + fight twice = everything in melee with him dies.  He's the king of melee, nothing else in Khorne comes close for 380pt, next thing would be skullreapers, but they can't fight twice.

And he's super easy to include because he needs no support besides secrator that you already take.

Add in wrathmongers for even more skarbrand shenanigans, then you arguably don’t need to take reapers of vengeance.

I’ve found that mortals work quite well with him as you want the screens so that he doesn’t get charged first.

There’s nothing worse than having him deleted before he gets to fight :( 

5 hours ago, kozokus said:

Thanks for the idea, i reaaaly loved it.

I tested your list with just minor tweaks because i don't like Karanak a lot.

BToUF General with skullmantle

BToIR with Amberglaive

2 priests +1to hit and sacrifice (i don't like +1armor)

bloodsecrator

Skulltaker

2X10 Bloodletter +2X5 hounds

2X5 Wrathmongers

Murderhost.

Tested it against a fellow HoS friend with 2 flying Keepers, mirror, 10 seekers and 3X5 flayers+ a herald on exachariot.

Was on Battle for the pass on ghyran

He scooped turn4, being (almost) tabled. The combination of Rejoice in slaughter and Leave none alive is absolutely brutal against him.

He had poor luck on a couple of locus but from my Pov this was just a bonus for me and not decisive. He also lost his chariot too early due to unexpected bloodboil.

What was new for me was the extensive use of the first reward of the Blood Tithe table. Basically, you can blood sacrifice, then immediately turn the Tithe into a CP.

Blood tithe usage : 2 extra CP, a free move for wrathmongers and a WOKBT summoning.

Thanks for the feedback! I put in Karanak for the reasons mentioned in the video and the fact that I don't have a second unit of Wrathmongers....yet. Finally ordered a second unit just yesterday. 

I also personally have issues with deploying my Wrathmongers properly and they hang too far back as a result. How did you deploy yours?

I do agree that Rejoice in the Slaughter with Leave None Alive is crazy against Slaanesh since with you being able to dictate the order of who fights who, the Locus of Diversion doesn't really matter since the Keepers can't strike first as they're not within 3" when they'd want to do so!

I keep Bronzed Flesh for the Skulltaker craziness also mentioned in the video. He has no business staying around for that long with that combo, but he totally does XD

19 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

I also personally have issues with deploying my Wrathmongers properly and they hang too far back as a result. How did you deploy yours?

That was a problem for me too. The 6" pile in made, keeping Bloodletters in the aura pretty difficult. I had to make them stick with the them as close as possible, but failed half of the time and they ended making solo jobs. They seems a bit too slow for the army (maybe i should have deployed them agressively)

Yet they had their utility. Would have i lost the initiative of the turn 2 and3 , they had my whole army in range for the counterpunch. But i won the initiative and i was on the offence and they became useless (apart from guard duties)

I consider dropping the second unit but can't decide what to bring instead with the 150 points left. Bloodcrushers seems underwhelming. Maybe an extra batch of Hounds or Bloodletters with the third Judgement. Ideally something that stick in the bataillon.

I am open to ideas.

27 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

I keep Bronzed Flesh for the Skulltaker craziness also mentioned in the video. He has no business staying around for that long with that combo, but he totally does XD

The idea is cool but i was tortured by the absence of the CRIMSON CROWN on the BToUF that could have freed a lot of command points. But the AMBERGLAIVE on the BToIR was very frightening for the opponents (even if i fulmbbled in the end, the potential was real and it forced my opponent to make suboptimal activation choices to make another unit closer to him to prevent him for closing the 8.9" gap to his Keeper).

Beeing Cp starved quickly, i improvised the use of BLOODY EXEMPLAR with the BLOODSACRIFICE prayer and that was a glorious idea that costed my opponent a Greater daemon and 10 Seekers. I lack a third priest, but the hero slots are crowded in the army. For this reason i can't go with Bronze flesh instead of Sacrifice.

Wrathmongers might not be as essential as i thought, yet they made me hard to attack. I wonder what to do with 290 points instead.

38 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

How did you deploy yours?

We where on Battle fot the Pass, so, the strange arrow shaped deployment. I had a blocker at the tip of the arrow so i deployed this way :

Dogs on the dront, blocking the maximum possible.

Bloodletters, 2" behind.

Wrathmongers as close as possible behind.

Between the two squad of Blooedletters behind the dogs, all the heroes in a blob BToIR more in the front, covering a huge portion of the dogs.  I advanced the whole thing, keeping more or less the formation.

Hi everyone, I'm probably getting the khorne part of Wrath and Fury set, but I know little or less about the army. What I know is I like the aesthetic of Khorne daemons and I would prefer to go without mortals (although I know I'd need probably a couple of Slaghterpriests and a Bloodsecrator, but nothing that a conversion can't do)

I'm not really a competitive person, but I don't want neither to get swept, so if you could help me with the next steps from there I would be very grateful 😁

6 hours ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

Hi everyone, I'm probably getting the khorne part of Wrath and Fury set, but I know little or less about the army. What I know is I like the aesthetic of Khorne daemons and I would prefer to go without mortals (although I know I'd need probably a couple of Slaghterpriests and a Bloodsecrator, but nothing that a conversion can't do)

I'm not really a competitive person, but I don't want neither to get swept, so if you could help me with the next steps from there I would be very grateful 😁

Cool! Like you mentioned you defiantly want a bloodsecrator and 2/3 priests. These are staples in any Khorne list. If you are playing daemons then there are basically 2 ways you can go. 

Option 1- Bloodthirster spam

Pretty simple, get 4 bloodthirsters, reapers of vengeance, tyrants of blood and watch your opponents cry. This is certainty as close to Khorne gets competitively, so it is good if you want to go to tournaments. For battleline you could go with either bloodletters or flesh hounds, either works

Option 2- Bloodletter bomb

Get gore pilgrims (you will need some mortals), bloodmaster, the halo of blood, and 30 letters. Bam, that's a lotta mortal wounds before the other guy can even strike back. This is list is hard, but probably more fun than the one above, and it feels like more of a daemonic horde. 

If you are unsure, just start collecting models but avoid the traps. Skull cannon is bad. Skull throne is bad. The herald on juggernaut is bad. The mounted daemons are way bad, Karanak is okay, Skarbrand is mainly for memes. Hell, just get bloodletters, bloodletter heroes, flesh hounds, and thirsters. Maybe a cheeky Skarbrand.  

Remember to shout Blood for the Blood God at every opportunity. 

14 hours ago, PivotalCar said:

Cool! Like you mentioned you defiantly want a bloodsecrator and 2/3 priests. These are staples in any Khorne list. If you are playing daemons then there are basically 2 ways you can go. 

Option 1- Bloodthirster spam

Pretty simple, get 4 bloodthirsters, reapers of vengeance, tyrants of blood and watch your opponents cry. This is certainty as close to Khorne gets competitively, so it is good if you want to go to tournaments. For battleline you could go with either bloodletters or flesh hounds, either works

Option 2- Bloodletter bomb

Get gore pilgrims (you will need some mortals), bloodmaster, the halo of blood, and 30 letters. Bam, that's a lotta mortal wounds before the other guy can even strike back. This is list is hard, but probably more fun than the one above, and it feels like more of a daemonic horde. 

If you are unsure, just start collecting models but avoid the traps. Skull cannon is bad. Skull throne is bad. The herald on juggernaut is bad. The mounted daemons are way bad, Karanak is okay, Skarbrand is mainly for memes. Hell, just get bloodletters, bloodletter heroes, flesh hounds, and thirsters. Maybe a cheeky Skarbrand.  

Remember to shout Blood for the Blood God at every opportunity. 

Oh the first one looks a little bit expensive for my wallet 😂

The second one looks fine to me, except maybe for the fact of adding mortals. The bloodsecrator and the slaughterpriests can be easily converted to be daemon-like but so many bodies can be a pain in the ass.

Thank you for the answer! I'll get it all in mind

Well, the mentioned Gorepilgrims are just neat for the range bubble of the Secrator but not necessary. You could also use Reapers of Vengence for this one, with an battatlion so you can take an additional Artifct, and take the "On 4+-Halo-Of-Blood" that you can combine with the Reapers of Vengence "Fight Twice" Ability. Double the Fun for the Bloodletters, but also only 50% Reliability on Fightning first

9 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Well, the mentioned Gorepilgrims are just neat for the range bubble of the Secrator but not necessary. You could also use Reapers of Vengence for this one, with an battatlion so you can take an additional Artifct, and take the "On 4+-Halo-Of-Blood" that you can combine with the Reapers of Vengence "Fight Twice" Ability. Double the Fun for the Bloodletters, but also only 50% Reliability on Fightning first

What about 2 bloodthirsters and 30 bloodletters looking for a murderhost? Would that work efficiently?

Howdy fellow skulltakers. 

I have some mortals of chaos built (StD) and I want to use them, yup I'm suicidal and as I posted in the past have a project to use Archaon with them (in the build queue). 

The reason I am posting is I would like some constructive feedback on the following list, including a large portion of Khorne. 

A) Is gore pilgrims battalions worth it in this list?

B) Would this list function like a dumpster fire🔥?

C) Would you change anything (Khorne wise) or add any of the following chaos knights X10, chaos warshrine to the list?

D) Should I just jam a bloodthirster and call it a day because in the end I'm running mortals 😆

Spoiler

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Chaos - Khorne) [1,290pts] ++

+ Leader +

Chaos Lord on Manticore [250pts]: Chaos Lance, Daemon Blade, Khorne

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut [160pts]

+ Battleline +

Chaos Warriors [180pts]: 2x 5 Chaos Warriors, Chaos Hand Weapons and Chaos Runeshields, Hornblower, Khorne, Standard Bearer

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Gore Pilgrims [700pts]
. Blood Warriors: 5 Blood Warriors, Goreaxe and Gorefist
. Bloodreavers: 10 Bloodreavers, Reaver Blades
. Bloodsecrator
. Slaughterpriest: 5. Killing Frenzy, Hackblade & Wrath-hammer
. Slaughterpriest: 1. Bronzed Flesh, Hackblade & Wrath-hammer

Allegiance: Khorne

Archaon [660pts]: General

++ Total: [1,950pts] ++

1 hour ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

What about 2 bloodthirsters and 30 bloodletters looking for a murderhost? Would that work efficiently?

Sounds quite good to me. Bloodthirsters seem never to be a wrong choice currently :)

1 hour ago, Blisterfeet said:

Howdy fellow skulltakers. 

I have some mortals of chaos built (StD) and I want to use them, yup I'm suicidal and as I posted in the past have a project to use Archaon with them (in the build queue). 

The reason I am posting is I would like some constructive feedback on the following list, including a large portion of Khorne. 

A) Is gore pilgrims battalions worth it in this list?

B) Would this list function like a dumpster fire🔥?

C) Would you change anything (Khorne wise) or add any of the following chaos knights X10, chaos warshrine to the list?

D) Should I just jam a bloodthirster and call it a day because in the end I'm running mortals 😆

Reveal hidden contents

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Chaos - Khorne) [1,290pts] ++

+ Leader +

Chaos Lord on Manticore [250pts]: Chaos Lance, Daemon Blade, Khorne

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut [160pts]

+ Battleline +

Chaos Warriors [180pts]: 2x 5 Chaos Warriors, Chaos Hand Weapons and Chaos Runeshields, Hornblower, Khorne, Standard Bearer

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Gore Pilgrims [700pts]
. Blood Warriors: 5 Blood Warriors, Goreaxe and Gorefist
. Bloodsecrator
. Slaughterpriest: 5. Killing Frenzy, Hackblade & Wrath-hammer
. Slaughterpriest: 1. Bronzed Flesh, Hackblade & Wrath-hammer

Allegiance: Khorne

Archaon [660pts]: General

++ Total: [1,950pts] ++

Sounds like a great project :D The ones who start StD althrough they know they will be doomed are the best ones :D

A) Gore Pilgrims Provide you only a Range Increase to the Banner. As it can run in the current Edition, it is not entirely necessary. The +1CP and Artifact are fine nevertheless. If you are on a Budget, the "cheap" SC!-Box delivers you almost anything required for this battion. In this case: Go for it.

B)What exactly do you expect from a dumpster fire?

C) Well, as you plan to use a Lord on Manticore, playing Gorepilgrims is an Idea. It can be used with a Gorecleaver to do some really evil damage on your oponent. Lance and Blade is quite a Glasscannon-Build you should be aware of. I had a lot of bad luck with mine due to a lot of failed rolls, yet I think it is a quite fun choice. Chaos Knights are great fans of the Bloodsecrator Buff. I would recommend to play them with a Lord on Daemonic Mount. This would be even more important than the Juggerlord, althrough you could also just use the model with both profiles because...well, it is technically a Lord on Daemonic Mount, huh? Together with a Secrator, Glaives, a Bloodstroker and 2x the Command Ability from the Lord on d. Mount you get 3 Attacks on 2+,3+ Rerollable, -1 Rend and 2 Dmg on the Charge, with +3" for the Charge.

D) Yeah, see abote in my answer to Darrin: Bloodthirsters are always worth concidering.

I plan on treating myself to a Bloodthirster--my first--when I submit my Black Library pitch. I have a nearly all-mortals collection, aside from 20 Bloodletters and a Daemon Prince. I lean toward Skarbrand, just because the model is so cool, and I like the fluff of him being eternally p*ssed off for coming at the king and missing. But then he can't be summoned, and I don't know if it's better to have another bloodthirster that I can use more flexibly. I run mortals, generally in Slaughterborn or Gore Pilgrims, and I'm wondering what complements that best. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Charleston said:

Sounds quite good to me. Bloodthirsters seem never to be a wrong choice currently :)

Sounds like a great project :D The ones who start StD althrough they know they will be doomed are the best ones :D

A) Gore Pilgrims Provide you only a Range Increase to the Banner. As it can run in the current Edition, it is not entirely necessary. The +1CP and Artifact are fine nevertheless. If you are on a Budget, the "cheap" SC!-Box delivers you almost anything required for this battion. In this case: Go for it.

B)What exactly do you expect from a dumpster fire?

C) Well, as you plan to use a Lord on Manticore, playing Gorepilgrims is an Idea. It can be used with a Gorecleaver to do some really evil damage on your oponent. Lance and Blade is quite a Glasscannon-Build you should be aware of. I had a lot of bad luck with mine due to a lot of failed rolls, yet I think it is a quite fun choice. Chaos Knights are great fans of the Bloodsecrator Buff. I would recommend to play them with a Lord on Daemonic Mount. This would be even more important than the Juggerlord, althrough you could also just use the model with both profiles because...well, it is technically a Lord on Daemonic Mount, huh? Together with a Secrator, Glaives, a Bloodstroker and 2x the Command Ability from the Lord on d. Mount you get 3 Attacks on 2+,3+ Rerollable, -1 Rend and 2 Dmg on the Charge, with +3" for the Charge.

D) Yeah, see abote in my answer to Darrin: Bloodthirsters are always worth concidering.

So budget is not an issue and I think you have sussed out my playstyle already 😆😆.

I bought StD purely for the love of the mortal models and I know I am already stacking the dice against me even including the models I have.

Dumpster fire to me is a army that is not synergistic, no buffs work. Have a key missing element either damage or objectives or being too static. Like fundamentally flawed. I know nothing about Khorne and the way to run them.

All your info is great, I do prefer glass cannon just because when the highs come its awesome, the lows are well they come whatever you do 😆.

Mounted alpha strike with Archaon/Lord troops second wave sounds good with the option of obj holding at the back if needs be.

9 hours ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

If you run a murderhost, take a bloodthirster of unfettered fury as one of the two. His command ability lets you pile in and attack from 6”. Then you can run, rather then charge with your +2 from you murderhost, your entire daemon hoard, hounds, bloodletters etc up to between 3 1/2 and 6”.

The 16” bubble on the command ability easily gives you  room to fit everything. Almost like an army wide first strike. You decide what to pile in first and therefore what will be able to retaliate etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zamik said:

I plan on treating myself to a Bloodthirster--my first--when I submit my Black Library pitch. I have a nearly all-mortals collection, aside from 20 Bloodletters and a Daemon Prince. I lean toward Skarbrand, just because the model is so cool, and I like the fluff of him being eternally p*ssed off for coming at the king and missing. But then he can't be summoned, and I don't know if it's better to have another bloodthirster that I can use more flexibly. I run mortals, generally in Slaughterborn or Gore Pilgrims, and I'm wondering what complements that best. Thanks!

Skarbrand was my first bloodthirster and he’s an absolute boss. Double attack with reapers is insane. If you can keep him wholly within wrathmongers and the bloodsecrator he kills everything lol. I took out 15 evocators and 5 liberators in a double attack once.  My biggest issue I’ve found is not that I can’t summon him back but that I can’t give him an artefact. If you play against heavy shooting often this will be a problem.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Troll.exe said:

If you run a murderhost, take a bloodthirster of unfettered fury as one of the two. His command ability lets you pile in and attack from 6”. Then you can run, rather then charge with your +2 from you murderhost, your entire daemon hoard, hounds, bloodletters etc up to between 3 1/2 and 6”.

The 16” bubble on the command ability easily gives you  room to fit everything. Almost like an army wide first strike. You decide what to pile in first and therefore what will be able to retaliate etc. 

I didn't thought about that, it looks interesting to test 🤔 I'll try it thanks!

About what I've read, why are bloodcrushers not worth it? The +2 for d3 mortal wounds each on charge for units of 6 seems pretty good to me