AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hey guys, I am entering a tournament this Sunday, and we are playing a 1k game. The prize is at least $100 NZD and I really need to win that cash. Below is the list of my miniatures, and if possible, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me make the most competitive army possible. (Below is also a list of who I will most likely verse)

My army

Bloodthirster of Fury

Chaos Lord on Mount

Chaos Sorcerer allied

Skulltaker

x10 Bloodletters 

x5 Chaos Warriors 

x5 Chaos Warriors

x5 Chaos Knights 

x3 Bloodcrushers

x1 Chariot

x1 Skull Cannon

Who I will most likely verse is...

Stormcast Eternals (Without Judicators)

Beastclaw Raiders

Grand Alliance Skaven

Daemons of Nurgle (With Exalted Great Unclean one)

Khorne (Mortals, Regular Mortals)

Grand Alliance Destruction (Beastclaw Raiders and Bonesplitters)

Grand Alliance Order (Stormcast and Kharadron Overlords)

Grand Alliance Order (Stormcast and Sylvaneth)

1 hour ago, DestroyerBirb said:

Hey guys, I am entering a tournament this Sunday, and we are playing a 1k game. The prize is at least $100 NZD and I really need to win that cash. Below is the list of my miniatures, and if possible, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me make the most competitive army possible. (Below is also a list of who I will most likely verse)

My personal thoughts on your list:

1. I would not take the Blood Thirster for 1k games, as he takes likely 25% of your amry value and is just unreliable. If you're looking for buffs provided I would go for minor heroes to compensate a little. If the BT willget slain, you have lost 25% of your army for only 1 BP.

2.Not sure about your Battleline choice, but I guess nothing beside what's in the Khorne Boook can be Battleline. So no Chaos Warriors, since they are technically Battleline for Grand Alliance Chaos. Or can they then be Battleline in any Chaos Army? ( would need verification )

The Sorcerer Lord seems good value for ranged control.

What I would personally take for 1k games, using your collection as basis:

1 Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore
1 Skulltaker as General

10 Bloodletters
5 Chaos Warriors
5 Chaos Knights
1 Chariot of Khorne ( it is the Tuskgor one, right? ) otherwise the Gorebeast Chariot
1 Skullcanon

Brings you to 960 points.

Please don't expect to really win, your collection is a good start, but when i see what your enemies will be, I'd suggest you will get steamrolled. Sorry for being that honest, but I wouldn't like to lie to you in any way.

But if you can avid the enemy as long as possible, to control objectives, then you could have a good chance. So try to never face any enemy on the board. Avoid them if possible, go for free objectives. Try to not take fight for objectives, that the enemy controls. Go for those objectives, that are not claimed or have enemies, you're sure you can win against.

I wish you all the luck someone could wich you!

Are a lot of people playing meeting engagement?

Its seen zero interest in my area, from a competitive standpoint it doesn’t seem very viable.

Is it mainly people with smaller collections or new to the game that have adopted it?

3 hours ago, Battlefury said:

My personal thoughts on your list:

1. I would not take the Blood Thirster for 1k games, as he takes likely 25% of your amry value and is just unreliable. If you're looking for buffs provided I would go for minor heroes to compensate a little. If the BT willget slain, you have lost 25% of your army for only 1 BP.

2.Not sure about your Battleline choice, but I guess nothing beside what's in the Khorne Boook can be Battleline. So no Chaos Warriors, since they are technically Battleline for Grand Alliance Chaos. Or can they then be Battleline in any Chaos Army? ( would need verification )

The Sorcerer Lord seems good value for ranged control.

What I would personally take for 1k games, using your collection as basis:

1 Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore
1 Skulltaker as General

10 Bloodletters
5 Chaos Warriors
5 Chaos Knights
1 Chariot of Khorne ( it is the Tuskgor one, right? ) otherwise the Gorebeast Chariot
1 Skullcanon

Brings you to 960 points.

Please don't expect to really win, your collection is a good start, but when i see what your enemies will be, I'd suggest you will get steamrolled. Sorry for being that honest, but I wouldn't like to lie to you in any way.

But if you can avid the enemy as long as possible, to control objectives, then you could have a good chance. So try to never face any enemy on the board. Avoid them if possible, go for free objectives. Try to not take fight for objectives, that the enemy controls. Go for those objectives, that are not claimed or have enemies, you're sure you can win against.

I wish you all the luck someone could wich you!

Thanks, a few things. One, it is a regular Chaos Chariot from Slaves to Darkness (the one with 2 horses), two the chaos lord on Mount is the one on the horse, and three, my bloodthirster has only died once out of 25 games against these armies, (And it is my main killing guy) and 4 the Chaos Warriors are a battleline for Slaves to Darkness, Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh and GA Chaos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MOMUS said:

Its seen zero interest in my area, from a competitive standpoint it doesn’t seem very viable.

Is it mainly people with smaller collections or new to the game that have adopted it?

In my case we were just trying it out. But it's a legit tournament format in a sense that it's a separate entry in ghb with points and pretty strict rules.

I assume that a lot of 1k tournament will use it, because I think it's better ruleset for those formats, it cuts a lot of otherwise broken stuff (and introduces some new ones, but oh well).

At 1.5k-2k it won't work at all so nothing will change there.

7 hours ago, MOMUS said:

We are not playing it in my area. I think Warcry will fill that void around here for a smaller quicker game. I have zero interest in it. I think they dropped the ball on it to be honest. It seems cool enough, nothing against people that are enjoying it, but it doesn't seem different enough to really make the games that much faster and its to similar to give a really different experience. I'll stick with 1-1250 games if I need to get in a smaller game.

9 hours ago, DestroyerBirb said:

Well, you lack a lot of critical pieces namely secrator and priests and totally lack anything to make mortals work so I'd try to go with demons with the following army:

Reapers of vengeance

1x thirster, general, 2+ against spells

1x skulltaker

2x5 chaos warriors - these go forward and  die first

1x10 letters

1x3 crushers

1x skullcannon

these go in second line and try to do damage

50pt hanging for that CP.

The idea is simple, use the fight twice CP ability to make your thirster and  skulltaker fight as much as they can because they are your best damage dealers. Consider using BPs to gain more CPs for that, cheaper than fighting twice for 4 BPs. Thirster's 6" pile-in can be used to help your otherwise brittle demon units to hit before they are getting killed.

Edited by Smooth criminal
  • Like 2

I played a meeting engagements game. Concept is interesting and its certainly fast and furious however I found too much of your army is kept out of the game for too long. Unless the 2nd and 3rd deployment waves are especially fast they tend to only get one or two actions which feels a bit lacklustre. It definitely favours faster armies or those with teleporting shenanigans. 

For Khorne I recommend Goretide for slingshotting bloodwarriors or reavers, Daemon Prince, flesh hounds, Karanak, a slaughterpriest with blood sacrifice (the extra moves and charges from bloodtithe are worth even more in this limited format) and anything else with a bit of speed.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:54 AM, Troll.exe said:

Just wondering if anyone uses a temple of skull? Is it just far too big to fit with the 3” clearance? Can you take a temple of skulls aswell as a skull alter?

Cheers

It's not faction-specific scenery mate so, if you're playing Matched Play, you don't really get to choose to specifically place it (let alone in or near your home turf) unless there's agreement from your opponent. It therefore can't be used or relied upon universally. 

If things were otherwise, I'd obviously take it every game (and Secrator and Warshrine of course).

8 hours ago, Roark said:

It's not faction-specific scenery mate so, if you're playing Matched Play, you don't really get to choose to specifically place it (let alone in or near your home turf) unless there's agreement from your opponent. It therefore can't be used or relied upon universally. 

If things were otherwise, I'd obviously take it every game (and Secrator and Warshrine of course).

I knew I must be missing something. Cheers for clearing that up.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:01 PM, Frost-W said:

Hello there! 
Could you tell me? Can I take in Blades of Khorne army at the same time the Beasts of Chaos and Slave to darkness units? I can’t find the rules for alligences anywhere, but in the topic of Hedonists of Slaanesh people in a rosters take daemons and beasts of chaos like one army.
Sorry for my english and sorry for obviously stupid question :3

The Alligience is based on the "Khorne"-Keyword you find in the lower part of the Warscroll. Any Unit that has it, can be part of the army without beeing an allied Unit. Also, every unit that can gain the keyword through an ability before the games begin, can be included.

• Most of Slaves to Darkness Units (but not all!) can receive a Mark of Chaos that Grants the Unit a Keyword of one of the Chaos Gods. Chaos Sorcerer Lord can´t get the Mark of Khorne as Khorne hates Wizzards. The Soulgrinder from the "Daemons of Chaos", you may know it from 40k, has the same Ability btw.
  • Beasts of Chaos have a Battalion that allows them to gain the Keyword. So you can use this Battalion in an Khorne Army. But only then, as otherwise the Units do not have the Keyword.
  • Archaon has all 4 Chaos-God-Keywords, so he can be included in all armies. The Varanguard gains the Keyword during the game and cannot be used within an Khorne army without beeing an Allied Unit.

This should cover all the known cases.

22 hours ago, Charleston said:

They removed the Slaughterbrute from the Warscrollbuilder. Which is...weird? Why would they touch such an overseen unit?

What? Why?

It was one of the good and viable options for us... . Don't wanna get ranty, so I spare on a commend I would like to do right now.

48 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

What? Why?

It was one of the good and viable options for us... . Don't wanna get ranty, so I spare on a commend I would like to do right now.

It’s terrible.

Only a few pages back there was a discussion on how it is clearly overcosted?

• Like 1

The Slaughterbrute's never really been properly acknowledged in any Khorne book (I think there's a bit of art somewhere), and the warscroll is quite bland and unsupported. It's a real missed opportunity by GW for such an awesome model that is also (I think) very thematic for Khorne. Wouldn't take much to make him a decent pick. At one point the Khornate Slaughterbrute was 10 points cheaper than the Monsters of Chaos Slaughterbrute, but other than that, he's just suffered from almost total indifference by the rules writers.

• Like 2

How do you guys actually play against Sylvaneth? I am always somehow scarred of running into the woods as there seem to be so many weird mortal wound effects in any single phase of the game that I really can´t grasp my head around it. It it eve worth bothering, as we cannot counter them? I really hate terrain that deals damage and can be placed like directly in my face~

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Battlefury said:

5 for more map control and more BT points.

9 hours ago, MOMUS said:

I would agree, although I have been running w unit of 10 to reduce deployment drops and optimise buffs.

Thanks guys. I'm running between 15 and 20 Reapers in Slaughterborn so drops aren't an issue. Just considering how many units I was going to run them in.

10 Reapers could also be a pain to move around too.

I bought 4 boxes of them/Mongers so I have 2 legit units and 2 converted. I chopped up a Magore's Fiends sprue I had spare. They are bigger than the average Bloodreaver so they fit in well. They also have some cool poses. 

Seeking clarification from the Khorne brains trust on the Banner of Wraith. Exact wording of the artifact is; "In the combat phase, roll a dice for each enemy unit within 8" of the bearer. On  a 4+ that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds."

I know that it works in either player's combat phase. Question is, when exactly does the effect take place? 

At the beginning of the phase? At the end? Sometime during? Does it depend on whose turn it is? Whats the protocol when its my opponent's turn?

Does it happen when you activate the Bloodsecrator in combat? What if he isn't within 3" and so not activating? Does it cost an activation for the effect to go off (doubt it).

This came up in a game where I was attacked by gryph hounds who, after attacking, can move out of combat and so moved out of the 8" range. Should I have been able to use the banner before they did their attack and move?