AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Smooth criminal said:

Check out the Karanak+WoK battalion. It has everything: the thirster general, the hounds battleline, the bloodcrushers hammer units. Probably should use the Reapers host.

Alternatively check out the battalion from Wrath&Rapture. It allows you to teleport Karanak and other stuff turn 1. Gimmicky, but can be fun army concept.

I would second that, you can fit a ‘blood hunt’ (the battalion you’re referring to) and a ‘tyrants of blood’ in the same army, Ben Johnson took this to one of the GW heats and did well with it - and now post FAQ you’ll have some points spare.

I don’t think ‘the boundless hunt’ - the warscroll from wrath & rapture is valid anymore, it’s points weren’t updated.

I’m looking for my next project.

How much would you say the slaughterbrute is worth? 140? 120?

Currently it sits at 180, the same as 5 Skull reapers, obvs not an exact science but...

Same save, bravery doesn’t matter, I loose 3 wounds, but gain 5 movement. Attack profiles are 6, 2, 2 so that’s a loss of 10 attacks, damage output is difficult comparison. It does have high damage and tend 1, but looses the mortal wound ability. Also skullreapers have the inflict mortal wound on death ability and the brute does degrade almost instantly.

I was thinking about running it bound to skarr, who can pop on and off the board to help it inflict mortal wounds.

Anyone have any thoughts on the slaughter brute?

51 minutes ago, MOMUS said:

Currently it sits at 180, the same as 5 Skull reapers, obvs not an exact science but...

Same save, bravery doesn’t matter, I loose 3 wounds, but gain 5 movement. Attack profiles are 6, 2, 2 so that’s a loss of 10 attacks, damage output is difficult comparison. It does have high damage and tend 1, but looses the mortal wound ability. Also skullreapers have the inflict mortal wound on death ability and the brute does degrade almost instantly.

I was thinking about running it bound to skarr, who can pop on and off the board to help it inflict mortal wounds.

I have a feeling if skarr dies and comes back he won't count as it's master any more.

I can't quote anything but I think I read it in a past FAQ (not specific about skarr). Maybe someone else can weigh in here?

So I have a tournament coming up. I am not Uber competitive but like to give a good game and grab a win here and there. One thing I am considering is flooding the table with bloodreavers. I have 100 painted so far and am looking to add 20 so I have 3x 40 man blobs. My questions are 

1: Is this many models a turnoff to opponents? I play quickly but I don’t want to appear annoying.

2: how would you consider filling the list out . I am thinking a pair of bloodsecrators and a Warshrine, all of which I have painted. Any other thoughts?

1 hour ago, KhorgusCool said:

2: how would you consider filling the list out . I am thinking a pair of bloodsecrators and a Warshrine, all of which I have painted. Any other thoughts?

I think you definitely need Brazen Fury on that Warshrine, as well as an Exalted Deathbringer, both of which will be necessary to mitigate battleshock.

Slaughterpriests are awesome in any Khorne list.

@KhorgusCool Its not uncommon for goblins or skaven to have that many models on the table so dont worry about that. Also, its a tournament so anything goes when it comes to list building. Some players are turned off by Gristle Gore Flesh Eater Courts, some are turned off by 4 x Bloodthirsters, others by a shooting heavy stormcast list. At a tournament players build a list they think can win (or will have fun with) so apart from playing the game in the right spirit you dont have to worry about what opponents think of your list. Just be mindful of time limits, pre-empt your moves and get good at moving your models quickly.

You definitely want a warshrine and bloodsecrator, maybe even 2 warshrines instead of 2 bloodsecrators for a greater totem footprint and spread of Feel No Pain saves. An exalted Deathrbringer for battleshock immunity would be good (as Roark said) and you can never go wrong with a couple of slaughter priests (one should definitely have blood sacrifice for sweet sweet blood tithe)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KhorgusCool said:

1: Is this many models a turnoff to opponents? I play quickly but I don’t want to appear annoying.

This would only be annoying if you can't handle that many models. Consider your opponent and fairness, if you have 2.5 hour rounds you should not take up more than half that time, regardless of how many models your opponent has. Also playing more models than you can handle lead to mistakes. Get in some practice and learn the warscrolls and you should be fine. 120 models just in those 3 blocks could get unwieldy and at the end of the day they are still reavers, will die in droves and not give a ton of Bloodtithe. I wouldn't think you would want more than one or two big blocks like that.

8 hours ago, KhorgusCool said:

So I have a tournament coming up. I am not Uber competitive but like to give a good game and grab a win here and there. One thing I am considering is flooding the table with bloodreavers. I have 100 painted so far and am looking to add 20 so I have 3x 40 man blobs. My questions are 

Tbh the armies that take a long time to play are typically the ones putting models back on the board, not coming off.

I played a test game using Murderhost last night with MSU Bloodletters alongside an Unfettered Fury Bloodthirster... I think there's something here to explore. Having +2 to run rolls is interesting since that increases your chances of being within 6" for Rejoice in the Slaughter to occur, and having MSU Bloodletters means that with proper positioning it'll be much easier to put Leave None Alive on them to make them fight twice. You also really don't care about not charging because of said pile in capability.

I'll keep testing this idea. I'm also wondering if this is simply a "cute" list because it relies so much on the Unfettered Fury being alive early game, but with proper threat saturation you can most likely protect him.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 9:30 PM, MOMUS said:

@Retro any thoughts on the points?

I think at 140 it would become a competitive option, but at 180 I would probably just take the skull reapers although I wouldn't call it a bad option. Hits almost as hard as a bloodthirster at 100 points less and doesn't use a precious hero slot.

Disclaimer edit: I haven't used a slaughterbrute before, this is pure theory 

Edited by Retro

On 7/16/2019 at 8:31 PM, MOMUS said:

If he had a demon keyword he would be worth it. As it is Demon princes are strictly better for similar cost.

140 is probably a fair price, he's like Khorgorathx1.5

Edited by Smooth criminal

4 hours ago, AresX8 said:

I played a test game using Murderhost last night with MSU Bloodletters alongside an Unfettered Fury Bloodthirster... I think there's something here to explore. Having +2 to run rolls is interesting since that increases your chances of being within 6" for Rejoice in the Slaughter to occur, and having MSU Bloodletters means that with proper positioning it'll be much easier to put Leave None Alive on them to make them fight twice. You also really don't care about not charging because of said pile in capability.

I'll keep testing this idea. I'm also wondering if this is simply a "cute" list because it relies so much on the Unfettered Fury being alive early game, but with proper threat saturation you can most likely protect him.

Ive wondered about this for sometime. I’ve just finished batch painting 60 bloodletters but don’t have a BoUF yet so I haven’t been able to test this at all. I’ll be very interested for any further updates 👌

I have used the Slaughterbrute a few times. It looks scary and draws a lot of attention. I think I was disappointed in it but it was probably because based on looks I was expecting Bloodthirster results and didn’t get them. But you aren’t paying Bloodthirster prices.  It isn’t bad but you have to manage your expectations.

Hi, to everybody!

I wanna make the Everchosen army with Bloodmarked warband, and I have some questions:

1. Which unit I can use as battle line? Azyr give me 3 units Bloodwariors, bloodreavers and Varanguard.  Can I use Bloodreavers?

2. Any allegians abilities, command traits or artifacts can I use?

3. How works BloodRage ability in this battalion - I adding +1 attack when kill a model every combat phases or just 1 time per battle.

This battalion seem more profitable for Khorne mortals, then others in Khorne book, because you have +3  or +4 ataks per unit. And I can use my Archaon model 😍

Edited by AHTOXA

3 hours ago, AHTOXA said:

Hi, to everybody!

I wanna make the Everchosen army with Bloodmarked warband, and I have some questions:

1. Which unit I can use as battle line? Azyr give me 3 units Bloodwariors, bloodreavers and Varanguard.  Can I use Bloodreavers?

2. Any allegians abilities, command traits or artifacts can I use?

3. How works BloodRage ability in this battalion - I adding +1 attack when kill a model every combat phases or just 1 time per battle.

This battalion seem more profitable for Khorne mortals, then others in Khorne book, because you have +3  or +4 ataks per unit. And I can use my Archaon model 😍

1. Yes. Blood Warriors, Bloodreavers and Bloodletters are universal battleline in Chaos (among others, from different books)
  2. If you want to play the Bloodmarked Warband you can either run Everchosen or Chaos allegiance*. The latter makes a lot more sense because you gain nothing from Everchosen allegiance and Grand Alliance Chaos is more flexible. (I was sure that allegiances without abilities i.e. old books could use those from the grand alliance but I cannot find that passage in the Core Rules or FAQ currently, either way the result is the same)
  3. Just once, because of the "any" in the rule text.

* Reason for this is an FAQ entry in the Core Rules and Everchosen FAQ. Bloodmarked Warband has Everchosen allegiance and everything inside that battalion would be Everchosen as well. Ergo you would end up with too many allied units to ever fit into a matched play list. 

Q: Can the battalions in this book be used in Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh or Tzeentch armies?

A: Yes, but the battalion and all of the units in it would be allies.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:48 AM, KhorgusCool said:

I'd strongly recommend looking into movement trays. The new Apocalypse ones are very good, albeit pricey.

7 hours ago, Xasz said:
  1. Yes. Blood Warriors, Bloodreavers and Bloodletters are universal battleline in Chaos (among others, from different books)
  2. If you want to play the Bloodmarked Warband you can either run Everchosen or Chaos allegiance*. The latter makes a lot more sense because you gain nothing from Everchosen allegiance and Grand Alliance Chaos is more flexible. (I was sure that allegiances without abilities i.e. old books could use those from the grand alliance but I cannot find that passage in the Core Rules or FAQ currently, either way the result is the same)
  3. Just once, because of the "any" in the rule text.

* Reason for this is an FAQ entry in the Core Rules and Everchosen FAQ. Bloodmarked Warband has Everchosen allegiance and everything inside that battalion would be Everchosen as well. Ergo you would end up with too many allied units to ever fit into a matched play list. 

Thank you for your advise!

What you think about this roster for competition:

Grand Alliance: Chaos | Allegiance: Chaos    Realm of Battle: SHYISH

Bloodmarked Warband  Battalion 160pts

General - Archaon 660 pts 

Battleline: 3x10  bloodreavers 210 pts

bloodsecrator - Sepulchral Plate artifact ( 6++ save) 120 pts

Aspiring Deathbringer 80 pts

Lord of Khorne - Ethereal Amulet ( Unmodified save) - 160 pts

Chaos Sorcerer Lord - 160 pts

Skullreapers 2x5 - 360 pts

Endless Spells Chronomantic Cogs 80 pts

Total 1990 pts, +2 CP

Tactics Archaon and Lord of Khorne tanking under Cogs (rerolls of saves) and rerolls of 1 saves from Sorcerer. Until a units of skullreaper coming. All units gets +1 attack after Archaon killing 1 model, +1 from Secrator, and +1 from Deathbringer. Archaon have rerolls of 1 to hit and to wound (from Sorcerer), all anothe rerolls 1 to wound (from lord of Khorne). When hero dying reapers become hero and get +1 to attack. Totally every unit gets +3 attack’s on 1 turn, and some +4 at middle game. And every unit can have +1 to hit on roll of 6+ before starting the fight.

And with placement: keeping sorcerer out from secrator aura, and Archaon on 1 turn.

Any ideas how improve this roster? I think it is better than blood mad warband battalion of Khorne, because give +1 attack to the rest of the battle.

wanted to share my 1k tournament list, its probably sub-optimal but i have had alot of fun playing with it, my stats are 1-3 but that is due to me missplaying here and there. the core mechanic is secrator+wrathmongers+skarbrand+reapers of vengeance command ability, from the second round skarbrand will be able to dish out at least 24 mortal wounds against one unit, and if the enemy have not died yet, another minimum of 24 will be incoming, and with alot of luck, 96 mortals in a combat phase.

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Chaos - Khorne) [990pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Skull Altar

+ Leader +

Bloodsecrator [120pts]

Skarbrand [380pts]

+ Battleline +

Blood Warriors [100pts]: 5 Blood Warriors, Goreaxe and Gorefist, Icon Bearer

Bloodreavers [70pts]: 10 Bloodreavers, Hornblowers, Icon Bearers, Reaver Blades

+ Other +

Skullreapers [180pts]: 5 Skullreapers

Wrathmongers [140pts]: 5 Wrathmongers

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Khorne

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 1000 Points - Vanguard

++ Total: [990pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

@Xasz Thanks for idea! 

But Blessings of Khorne can be taken only in Khorne alligens army, not Chaos or Everchosen. That make priest useless.

Storker look better, can give rerolls of wound and charge advantages for Archaon or Khorne lord, and become 1 more attack for unit after death.

59 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Hey there!

Anyone to report some news / tweaks or anything found to have a solid structure to succeed in games?

Just asking, because I didn't. In fact I am so frustrated, that i don't play AoS since 3 weeks now.

I’m doing very well with my Khorne army so far, happy with results. I find success not on killing opponents but winning on objectives/being a good general/knowing the game well.

6 hours ago, Sneeto said:

I’m doing very well with my Khorne army so far, happy with results. I find success not on killing opponents but winning on objectives/being a good general/knowing the game well.

What did you run most recently? Against what army did you play? What was their composition? What was the battleplan?

Thanks!