AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, AresX8 said:

I finally sat down and magnetized the whip and used him last night and I was very impressed by him.  

I'd be interested if you could walk me through hoe you did this. I've built mine as a WoK but magnetising would be very useful for me, not least as it helps portablity. Is it a case if magnetising the forearm?

Cheers

57 minutes ago, fwlr said:

I'd be interested if you could walk me through hoe you did this. I've built mine as a WoK but magnetising would be very useful for me, not least as it helps portablity. Is it a case if magnetising the forearm?

Cheers

Magnetize at the wrists. It's a simple snip off from the hand and shave down to make it flat, see here: https://imgur.com/r/warhammer40k/eAocm

• Thanks 1

I am wondering about buying Forbidden Power; however, before I do I wanted to know if there is there anything in Forbidden Power that is of use to use to a Khorne army?

Obviously the spells are out, the engine may be ok(?) but what about items in the book?

For matched play, I don't really think forbidden power is that good at all. It's not bringing much to the table for khorne at all really, and the relics are for only open/narrative aren't they.

No endless spells, we already have a better terrain piece for our army, relics are unusable.

Get it if you'd like, I just don't think it's bringing anything for khorne. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fwlr said:

For matched play, I don't really think forbidden power is that good at all. It's not bringing much to the table for khorne at all really, and the relics are for only open/narrative aren't they.

No endless spells, we already have a better terrain piece for our army, relics are unusable.

Get it if you'd like, I just don't think it's bringing anything for khorne. 

That was what I was thinking. Would rather spend the ££ on something more useful.

@AresX8@Oreaper84

Your approach might just be very viable!

The 6" pile in distance would counter out some armies!
We shall try out a Tyrants of Blood list with at least Unfettered Fury BT's, 1 BT of Insenstae Rage and one Wrath of Khorne BT.
Don't have the book at hand right now, but I think it was up to 4 BTs, right?

The choice of the 2 other hero slots shall be a priest, or even both.

The strategie would be:

1. Get up to the enemie's army with chaffing unknits ( shall be added, maybe some Skullcrushers due to their save rolls of 3+ )
2. Very carefully position the 2 Unfettered Fury BTs within 6" of the enemy, asap
3. Choose the moment, when you WILL pile in with them at least 1 round before, so the priest would buff one of them, or even both ( with 2 priests ) with Bronzed Flesh to a 3+ save.
4. Chain the Tyrant's ability to activate one after another

So then enemy wouldn't really have a choice, what to do. And I guess that's exactly what we want.

Things to concider:

1. Use the Priests at the right moment, and have them protected a while!
2. Concider the enemy to hit back, therefore the Skullcrushers shall be first and chew the back strikes.
3. For Battleline I would really use Flesh hounds to run up for objectives and further distraction. ( don't need that much Skullcrushers )
4. Always go for one units, that emidiately can be smashed by a BT, to activate the further pile in mechanic if possible
5. otherwise bubble wrap a single unit each time, place the Thirsters out of range for the enemy, and let the Skullcrushers again chew up the backlash.
( so he can't hit any BT at that time, because they got in melle after the enemy already did hit )

Sounds a little unorganized, but I guess you all got the idea, hopefully though :D

A list for that would be:

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance
LEADERS
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)
- General
- Command Trait : Mage Eater
- Artefact : Skullshard Mantle
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- Artefact : The Crimson Crown
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh
UNITS
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (360)
- Bloodglaives
BATTALIONS
Tyrants of Blood (140)
TOTAL: 1900/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 3 WOUNDS: 114

Why would I take Reapers of Vengeance? Because having the BT of Insensate Rage fight twice will certainly have more impact as the Blood Lords ability.
And the other effects and artefacts are massively better IMO.

We would have 3 CP from the beginning, so we should be more than viable to dish out a lot of damage.

image.png.d5888942c82ad9935b9fe35569a9bdb0.png

6" pile-in requires some practice though.

It doesn't prevent opponent from fighting altogether. If he's fighting something else he can still pile-in into your 6" dude with a bit of placement and a long reach weapon. It also burns through CP very fast.

It's our best weapon against the meta, but it's nowhere near a nobrainer free win.

What I do like about it the most is that you can have pseudo-first strike without commiting to Bloodlords host since other hosts have more useful abilities.

I think thirsters are great hero hunters (which also earns BPs fast), good mobility option and that's all they are good at. They lack proper damage output to beat bricky units. They need a solid hammer unit to do that for them.

Edited by Smooth criminal

19 hours ago, AresX8 said:

I've been finding Bloodletters subpar, which is very unfortunate. Them losing run and charge hit them a lot, lot harder than I anticipated, and to get them to worthwhile damage results, here's what you have to put into a single unit:

- Reapers of Vengeance Leave None Alive.
- Extra attacks (only via Bloodsecrator and Wrathmongers)
- Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster's Lord of the Blood Hunt to fish for 6's.

That's 2 command points and you need to have the unit wholly within 8" of a Daemon Hero which is way harder than it sounds when it's a big blob of Bloodletters, and wholly within 8" of a few Wrathmongers (rather difficult), and wholly within 16" of a Bloodsecrator (This one is pretty easy) . They also really need to be screened to have them attack first, otherwise they just fold so easily with 1 wound a 5+ for their cost. They do seem overcosted due to the expectation of rolling a lot of 6's on hits for those mortals.

I'm really sad about this since I have 60 Bloodletters, 40 of them are fully painted. Flesh Hounds have similar durability issues but they need attack buffs much less with their really high base amount of attacks, and have a lot for their points. 

I also took a unit of 6 Bloodcrushers and was impressed by them too. They seem appropriately pointed for their durability, speed and output. Just makes me more excited to start testing Skullcrushers :)

I also have trouble to find arguments to play bloodletters.

6 bloodcrushers vs 30 bloodletters:

- are 20 pts cheaper,

-are faster

- do 4 attacks each, 3 of them don't have rend but hit on 3+ vs 4+ and don't do MV on 6s but the juggers deal MV when they charge

-have 26 wounds vs 30 (but the bloodletters are 10 wounds for 10 pts, so it is 28 vs 30 wounds) but have a better save.

-the bloodletters hit on 3+ when they are 20+, but less of them can hit.

Flesh Hounds are a bit different but are also battline and don't need to be played in large units, so they die faster and give more  BP.

The extra attack given by the Bloodsecrator is not as useful on bloodcrushers and flesh hound as it is on bloodletters, but the 20 pts saved you can drop the bloodsecrator and take a deamon prince.

Edited by Biboune

Does anyone here have experience killing Bastiladons? I'm curious what strategies people have used to get around a 3+ unrendable save and a 4+ mortal wound save--also, how to deal with a frickin' laser beam that can do 24 wounds.

11 minutes ago, PivotalCar said:

@Impa Great job! Can't wait to see it painted. Quick question, do you gets get tired from painting bloodreavers? There are so many tiny details, and I've resorted to painting one at a time. Is there a faster way to do this?

Yup, it's called assembly line painting. 

Group up similarily posed models together, pick one section/color to paint on a model, then cycle through all models in that group, painting that one particular section/color. By the time you get back to the first model in this group, the paint should already be dry and you can move on to the next section/color.

1 hour ago, PivotalCar said:

@Impa Great job! Can't wait to see it painted. Quick question, do you gets get tired from painting bloodreavers? There are so many tiny details, and I've resorted to painting one at a time. Is there a faster way to do this?

Yes! I’m dreading finishing them I’ve only got through my Garreks reavers I have. I just have the other 20 from one of the original box sets that came with stormcast. So since I had the shadespire reavers I’ve taken 5 from the 20 and used bits to change out my skullreapers. So I’ve got 15 reavers waiting to be done. I personally don’t do assembly line painting I like to focus on one guy at a time. Nothing wrong with doing batches. It’s perfectly fine. I just personally like to stick to one model at a time. Which probably isn’t very efficient. I’d probably try out those new contrast paints on the reavers if I had them on hand. 

More conversions! Skullreapers coming along. Using chaos warrior heads. One is from the chaos chariot I believe. The maces are from the wrathmonger chains. Then I trimmed off some axes and other weapons from the reaper sprues and glued them up. Legs will of course be blood warrior legs from hoardo’bits on eBay. These will be my 15th converted skullreapers. 10 full conversions with warrior legs and 5 with head swaps from bloodreavers and minor weapon alterations. 

02D4DF7B-A03C-41DE-AD65-70D582D67A47.jpeg

2F797881-8CBE-4B6B-9920-CF3C60314464.jpeg

5A81D6A2-1010-4118-995C-FAEBA283AC30.jpeg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 hours ago, Impa said:

Finished my exalted deathbringer with impaling spear. What do you guys think? 

E3AB2366-5351-4F25-B938-BAB0A95A3015.jpeg

You should maybe add some bitz to his waist and hip regions. Hiding the conversion "lines" and giving the model a bit more of a "whole" feeling. Like, another weapon (axe, sheathed sword), satchel or fitting Khorne stuff (icons). Just whatever feels right and doesn't overload the model.

Either way, great job.

Edited by Xasz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xasz said:

You should maybe add some bitz to his waist and hip regions. Hiding the conversion "lines" and giving the model a bit more of a "whole" feeling. Like, another weapon (axe, sheathed sword), satchel or fitting Khorne stuff (icons). Just whatever feels right and doesn't overload the model.

Either way, great job.

Yes I may end up adding a few bits where the torso meets the hips. I’ve used green stuff to fill in the gaps there and I made that transition line to try and identify the plates from one another. The breast plate comes down to a point so it was challenging trying to situate it properly onto the legs of the blood warrior.  I didn’t want it to look too overcrowded either. Thanks for the input! 

As anyone tried a full MSU build for our army? MSU works well for us because of BloodTithe and also because our Bloodwarriors still get to fight before they die. So many scary things out fight us right now so maybe going MSU and spreading out the enemy could work? What do people think about something like the below. It's a lot of points into battalions but it's 3 drops and you can use the command points to shoot out the Bloodwarriors. I'd love peoples thoughts and CC. Is it too inefficient with 320 in battalions?

Goretide:

Chaos Lord on Manticore (250)
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
UNITS
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
5 x Skullreapers (180)
5 x Skullreapers (180)
BATTALIONS
Slaughterborn (180)
Gore Pilgrims (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

55 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

As anyone tried a full MSU build for our army? MSU works well for us because of BloodTithe and also because our Bloodwarriors still get to fight before they die. So many scary things out fight us right now so maybe going MSU and spreading out the enemy could work? What do people think about something like the below. It's a lot of points into battalions but it's 3 drops and you can use the command points to shoot out the Bloodwarriors. I'd love peoples thoughts and CC. Is it too inefficient with 320 in battalions?

Goretide:

Chaos Lord on Manticore (250)
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
UNITS
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
5 x Skullreapers (180)
5 x Skullreapers (180)
BATTALIONS
Slaughterborn (180)
Gore Pilgrims (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

I like this list, similar, but a bit different. 320 points feels like too much to tie up in battalions.

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Skullgrinder (80)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne 
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer 
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: The Crimson Plate 
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Bloodforged (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 152

Edited by ChaosLord

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:38 PM, PivotalCar said:

Is there a faster way to do this?

I used GW inks to blaze through about 80 or so blood reavers. Looks good and took me longer waiting for them to dry than it did to paint. Have to do it over a white or near white primer though.  

10 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

As anyone tried a full MSU build for our army?

That's generally what my mortals lists have been doing. Working well so far, we'll see if it can survive the tournament on the 30th. I would personally swap out the gore pilgrims battalion and a unit of blood warriors for something else, like 5 more skull reapers, but what you're switching for is rather dependent on what you want out of the list .Example : I prefer having more chaff than my current list allows, but for now I just want to swing my bloodthirster around, so in he stays.

My current list: 2,000pts khorne - skull fiends
-

Spoiler

Slaughterborn battalion:

Exalted deathbringer + impaling spear + mark of the destroyer

3x 5 skullreapers

3x5 blood warriors + gorefists

- Bloodthirster of insensate rage - general + crowncleaver

- Bloodsecrator

- 2x slaughterpriests + killing frenzy, bronzed flesh

- 2x5 wrathmongers

Hey guys, so I'm looking at doing some big conversions, more for fun than tabletop.

Has anyone got pictures of the following (preferably with another model nearby or a tape measure so I can see the size):

Exalted bloodthirster

Skaarac bloodborn

Mazaral the butcher

Regular bloodthirster.

It would be great if someone has all of them next to each other but I feel like that would be a deposit for a house all in the one image.

Thanks!

Hello, Im about to try my khorne army for the first time and Im having a hard time deciding how to play it, I can make use of the following guys;

UNITS

15 x Blood warriors

5 x Skullreapers

10 x Bloodreavers

1 x Khorgorath

HEROS

Bloodsecrator

Bloodstoker

2 x Slaughterpriest

Mighty lord of khorne

Aiming for a 1k~ list. Im not sure what battalions (or other strategies) would make sense etc etc so I would appreciate all suggestions. Thanks!