AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I'm fairly new to Khorne, but what's a decent list to build towards? I have a small collection, mostly 2 Daemons start collectings + Wrath and Rapture, then a handful of mortals. Are mortals the way to go? Or are daemons actually worth it?

What I own:

* 30x Bloodletters

* 9x Bloodcrushers

* Karanak

* 5x Flesh Hounds

* 1x Skull Cannon, 1 Skull Cannon/Blood Throne (so 2 cannons or one of each)

* Skulltaker

* Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage

* Bloodmaster

* Bloodsecrator

* MLoK/Khul

* 10x Bloodreavers

* 3x Blood Warriors (can be 5 with Magore's Fiends)

* Slaughterpriest

* Magore's Fiends

* Garrek's Reavers

Edited by mystycalchemy

I might as well throw my hat in the ring.

So the prayers and blessings... PLEASE stop getting these confused. All the priests with a battletome get both a prayer and a blessing. They can cast one of each. For our part we can cast killing frenzy and blood boil, but not also blood bind. The Fyrslayer FAQ just means they get the they know 2 BLESSINGS along with the prayer on their warscroll, but can only cast one of each still. So a runesmiter with the command trait knows one prayer and 2 blessings, but can only cast the one prayer and one of the two blessings known.

If you cannot grasp that then just voluntarily stop casting your prayer and blessing on the same turn. You will sleep easier at night.

As far as points I believe the points will change. We saw Legion of Nagash changes an they came out right before the GHB.

I would like to see Skullcrushers go down. They feel too expensive right now. Maybe a six man squad rocks socks, but a 3 man squad doesn't seem worth it.

I doubt Blood warriors will go down. I've been getting good value from them this BT.

I think like others said the heroes may see adjustment, but I feel pretty good otherwise.

• Like 7

Well out of all the games I’ve got in so far from this new tome. The all stars have been the skullreapers. Those mortal wounds on 6’s.  re rolling hits to a unit with 5+ models. Then re rolling either 1 to wound from goretide or re rolling all wounds from bloodstoker. Having between 20 - 30 Attacks per 5 models can put out some serious damage. With all the re rolls it’s hard to miss. I seriously hope they leave the point cost alone on this unit. 

Edited by Impa

13 hours ago, mystycalchemy said:

I'm fairly new to Khorne, but what's a decent list to build towards? I have a small collection, mostly 2 Daemons start collectings + Wrath and Rapture, then a handful of mortals. Are mortals the way to go? Or are daemons actually worth it?

You're pretty firmly committed to daemons at this point. Why would you want to change? Are you going for a 2000 point army? If so, maybe add another unit of Flesh Hounds to get to 3 battlelines, then add another greater daemon or two, maybe get the Tyrants of Blood Battalion.

You could mix daemons and mortals as well.

17 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Hi All,

Do you think the below is a competitive take on Goretide? The extra CP point is great because it can allow you to fly across a whipped unit of BWs and then auto run your BT so that it has a 22 inch threat range. The Lord and Skullreapers follow up and both have the added bonus of being able to be whipped.

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)
- Artefact : Thronebreaker's Torc
Chaos Lord on Manticore (250)
- General
- Command Trait : Hew the Foe
- Blade & Lance
- Artefact : Dimensional Blade
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodstoker (80)
UNITS
15 x Blood Warriors (300)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Skullreapers (360)
- Goreslick Blades
BATTALIONS
Gore Pilgrims (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
TOTAL: 1950/2000

Just curious, with two priests why not also add the Bleeding Icon judgement with your remaining points? Do you feel like that one command point is worth more than having a second judgement to cast?

2 hours ago, ChaosLord said:

You're pretty firmly committed to daemons at this point. Why would you want to change? Are you going for a 2000 point army? If so, maybe add another unit of Flesh Hounds to get to 3 battlelines, then add another greater daemon or two, maybe get the Tyrants of Blood Battalion.

You could mix daemons and mortals as well.

Honestly I am kinda looking for a good Daemons/Mortals mixed list, but I've also just found daemons to be lack luster every time I run them. I'm really not sure what i'm doing with them xD

20 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Hi All,

Do you think the below is a competitive take on Goretide? The extra CP point is great because it can allow you to fly across a whipped unit of BWs and then auto run your BT so that it has a 22 inch threat range. The Lord and Skullreapers follow up and both have the added bonus of being able to be whipped.

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)
- Artefact : Thronebreaker's Torc
Chaos Lord on Manticore (250)
- General
- Command Trait : Hew the Foe
- Blade & Lance
- Artefact : Dimensional Blade
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodstoker (80)
UNITS
15 x Blood Warriors (300)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Skullreapers (360)
- Goreslick Blades
BATTALIONS
Gore Pilgrims (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
TOTAL: 1950/2000

Looks super solid. Really like the sound of this list.

Why not go all in, drop the skulls+ thirster down to an insensate rage then get 20 BW's. The extra bloodglaive is huge.

11 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Honestly I am kinda looking for a good Daemons/Mortals mixed list, but I've also just found daemons to be lack luster every time I run them. I'm really not sure what i'm doing with them xD

I think mortals are definitely a core part of the army because we lack speed and make up for it with overall resilience and synergy, which the mortals have in abundance. I'd say the first thing you need are some bodies to help protect the fragile daemons until they're ready to fight, so some bloodwarriors or a dark feast would be a good idea. If you don't have them already grabbing a bloodsecrator and slaughterpriests are essentially mandatory for the army. After that it's up to you, a slaughterborn battalion is rock solid and a great front line, gore pilgrims has all the required parts in a neat package, bloodforged works amazingly as a second line. 

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

I think mortals are definitely a core part of the army because we lack speed and make up for it with overall resilience and synergy, which the mortals have in abundance. I'd say the first thing you need are some bodies to help protect the fragile daemons until they're ready to fight, so some bloodwarriors or a dark feast would be a good idea. If you don't have them already grabbing a bloodsecrator and slaughterpriests are essentially mandatory for the army. After that it's up to you, a slaughterborn battalion is rock solid and a great front line, gore pilgrims has all the required parts in a neat package, bloodforged works amazingly as a second line. 

Just getting into Khorne and was wondering what a good Slaughterborn Battalion army would look like.

Hey guys, interested in your feedback on some lists I'm contemplating before I drop a big pile of $$$ at my local GW.  My local meta is pretty much 1000 points, with the odd 800, 1200 or maybe 1500. No one seems to play above 1500. Having said that, I'd really like to squeeze a Skarbrand, another BT, or even both into 1000 point lists. I've already got a decent little mortal collection going but need to decide what daemons to invest in.

Here is the Bloodbound list I've been working on before I got the bug to want to play with Bloodthirsters. No slaughterhost so I can pick a trait and artefact:

• Bloodsecrator (140) - general, Berzerker Lord, Banner of Rage 
  • Slaughterpriest (100) - Killing Frenzy
  • 10x Blood Warriors (200) - Gorefist
  • 10x Blood Warriors (200) - Gorefist
  • 3x Mighty Skullcrushers (180)
  • 5x Wrathmongers (140)
  • Bleeding Icon (40)

I like the aggressiveness of this list with the Rage+Frenzy buffs, plus I really like the BW, Skullcrusher, and Wrathmonger models... 

This list uses Skarbrand with Unfettered and the Reapers slaughterhost:

• Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300) - general
  • Skarbrand (400)
  • Slaughterpriest (100) - Resanguination
  • 5x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5x Flesh Hounds (100)

The idea with this list would be to hold back Skarbrand the first round, then unleash him with Leave None Alive from the Unfettered to get two sets of attacks at full power, while using Resanguination to keep the Unfettered at peak performance or to keep Skarbrand alive. The Flesh Hounds are really the only battleline option here and give good anti-spell support as well as additional mobility (and benefit from Locus). This seems like potentially a really fun 1000 point list to play. 

Here is another more mortal-oriented hybrid list, Unfettered but no Skarbrand:

• Bloodthirster  of Unfettered Fury (300)
  • Bloodsecrator (140)
  • Slaughterpriest (100)
  • 10x Blood Warriors (200) - Gorefist
  • 10x Blood Warriors (200) - Gorefist
  • Wrath Axe (60)

Not sure which slaughterhost, trait, artefact or blessing I'd use with this list... 

Let me know what you think of these lists.... or how you would build a 1000 point list. I may end up getting enough stuff for any of them and mixing it up each time depending on the situation.

here’s the Tyrants of Blood list I’ve settled on. Skullreapers backing up Bloodthirsters is just amazing. I miss my bloodsecrator/stoker/other priests and judgements. But this list just has so much versatility. If you have the models try it! Skullreapers are just amazing! Bloodthirsters getting the consecutive attacks when able and double attacking if you have the CP to do it. +1 attacks from mongers instead of the secrator is just better. My bloodsecrator is just a bullseye it seems. So at least this way you have more tools in the toolbox with more models.. anyways here’s the list. Let me know if you’ve tried it or something similar. I’ve also had great success with bloodforged battalion. 

648C154B-F220-4E78-8D6B-0A052A082B9F.png

• Like 2

Just now, Darksteve said:

The issue imo with warriors is the terrible way gw went about designing thier special weapon. If they were in line with sequitors for example we would have 3x goreglaives per 5 guys with 1 on the leader getting an extra attacks. If they fix the loadout issue then they are fine at 100.

Are dogs really in "need nerf" territory? They have no rend and a 5+ save at 100 points. Imo they are fine. Mathmatically cannons should be about 105 points to be as good as they were pre wrathmonger change amd skullreapers are priced appropriately I believe, especially when comparing them to similar units in other books. Thier 5" move with 0 run and charge access really hampers them.

I can’t remember how the sprue is set up and that’s a serious limitation for how GW sets up the unit. Rules don’t overwrite the models.

Dogs don’t need a nerf, but I would say they are definitely good for their points, I could easily see them change to 110 or 120. 

Cannon for 100 and I probably still wouldn’t include it regularly, it’s just so bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grimrock said:

I feel like blood crushers are the "resilient daemon' you need to get out ahead and tarpit enemies for your fragile BLs to get in... either that or a slew of doggos.

2 hours ago, Impa said:

here’s the Tyrants of Blood list I’ve settled on. Skullreapers backing up Bloodthirsters is just amazing. I miss my bloodsecrator/stoker/other priests and judgements. But this list just has so much versatility. If you have the models try it! Skullreapers are just amazing! Bloodthirsters getting the consecutive attacks when able and double attacking if you have the CP to do it. +1 attacks from mongers instead of the secrator is just better. My bloodsecrator is just a bullseye it seems. So at least this way you have more tools in the toolbox with more models.. anyways here’s the list. Let me know if you’ve tried it or something similar. I’ve also had great success with bloodforged battalion. 

648C154B-F220-4E78-8D6B-0A052A082B9F.png

Now I like this list!

Have you tried it out yet? 

I also like bloodforged - but have yet to give Tyrants a go. Partly though, because I expect that Tyrants, being such a stand-out build in the book, is a list that people will get wise to and start tech-ing to counter it. 

I do like the 1-2 punch of the Tyrants + skullreapers and Wrathmongers though. 

Here's an open question to people who have played Tyrants though - when you have lost games - what was it due to? Does Tyrants actually win straight-up melee match-ups? 

Edited by Iquitelikeegg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MOMUS said:

I can’t remember how the sprue is set up and that’s a serious limitation for how GW sets up the unit. Rules don’t overwrite the models.

Dogs don’t need a nerf, but I would say they are definitely good for their points, I could easily see them change to 110 or 120. 

Cannon for 100 and I probably still wouldn’t include it regularly, it’s just so bad.

Id happily buy an updated sprue

4 hours ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

Now I like this list!

Have you tried it out yet? 

I also like bloodforged - but have yet to give Tyrants a go. Partly though, because I expect that Tyrants, being such a stand-out build in the book, is a list that people will get wise to and start tech-ing to counter it. 

I do like the 1-2 punch of the Tyrants + skullreapers and Wrathmongers though. 

Here's an open question to people who have played Tyrants though - when you have lost games - what was it due to? Does Tyrants actually win straight-up melee match-ups? 

Yes!! I mopped the floor with every opponent so far. And guess what. I think that thing slaanesh does where it makes the target unit fight last. Potentially overriding tyrants of blood. Welllll skullshard mantle can counter that on a 2+ (Obviously if WoK BT is the target) As you roll to ignore the spell effect as per the artefact. So at least you’ll have your one BT ignoring those effects if for some reason they all get targeted by that spell. Then the shenanigans of attacking in line with the rest of the BTs still goes off. As it overrides the effects as far as I can tell. You have your damage output spread across your entire army. So it’s not reliant on the bloodthirsters. Or the mortals. It’s everywhere. The games I lost while trying out diff set ups with tyrants was when I didn’t bring the Skullreapers. The other demons just don’t hack it anymore. Bloodletters are done in my opinion. And I can’t fit them in either way as I’d rather have the cheaper Battleline so the reapers/mongers can join the joyful slaughter for our glorious god of blood. 

Edited by Impa
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Impa said:

Yes!! I mopped the floor with every opponent so far. And guess what. That thing slaanesh does where it makes the target unit fight last. Potentially overriding tyrants of blood. Welllll skullshard mantle can counter that on a 2+ (Obviously if WoK BT is the target) As you roll to ignore the spell effect as per the artefact. So at least you’ll have your one BT ignoring those effects if for some reason they all get targeted by that spell. Then the shenanigans of attacking in line with the rest of the BTs still goes off. As it overrides the effects as far as I can tell. You have your damage output spread across your entire army. So it’s not reliant on the bloodthirsters. Or the mortals. It’s everywhere. The games I lost while trying out diff set ups with tyrants was when I didn’t bring the Skullreapers. The other demons just don’t hack it anymore. Bloodletters are done in my opinion. And I can’t fit them in either way as I’d rather have the cheaper Battleline so the reapers/mongers can join the joyful slaughter for our glorious god of blood. 

locus of diversion is an ability not a spell so that won't work.

People asking for new BWs sprues seems like a bit of wishful thinking imo. The models are perfect, but we're just different to some other units on special weapons. All that needs to be done for BWs is make them 80 or 90. Then they'll be just fineee

23 minutes ago, fwlr said:

People asking for new BWs sprues seems like a bit of wishful thinking imo. The models are perfect, but we're just different to some other units on special weapons. All that needs to be done for BWs is make them 80 or 90. Then they'll be just fineee

If by "different" you mean bafflingly worse then sure. I love warriors I just think that the way they've been laid out in terms of special weapons and conditional abilities is weird when you look at a unit like sequitors for example

1 hour ago, Poryague said:

locus of diversion is an ability not a spell so that won't work.

Oh haha wow. That’s crazy. Ok good to know. Well I guess either way as long as one isn’t effected by it. It should override it though?