AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 minute ago, ledha said:

Slaneesh seems to have an insane summoning honestly. Basically summoning one/two units per turn in addition to allegiance abilities

And it’s been toned down in the new book compared the wrath and wrapture table :)  

It really is a matter of locking down / killing all their heroes in one go or possibly two with a double turn. Very hard for khorne though who don’t have redeployment options. 

Frankly I think Slaanesh is pretty terrifying for Khorne and I'm not really sure how we're supposed to deal with it. We have a few things in our favour, namely that we naturally run MSU and a big slaughterborn battalion will be a real tough nut to crack for an army that mostly relies on rend, but the locus of diversion just curb stomps melee armies. If you send a single unit at a keeper that unit is pretty much doomed. You can try to work around it with multiple units, but if the opponent is clever with positioning the Contorted Epitome even that might not work. They're incredibly fast, hit like a truck, and can summon 1k of points in a game if they build for it. Plus 'building for it' isn't like Seraphon where you need to sacrifice composition and combat to generate points. It just means the Slaanesh player is including loads of high damage heroes and running them straight at you to do what they would do anyway. The fact that all of our good models are multi wound doesn't help either, they're just depravity points in waiting.

They're still new so it's all theoretical, but does anyone have any thoughts on a solid list to run into Slaanesh? 

Edited by Grimrock

5 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Frankly I think Slaanesh is pretty terrifying for Khorne and I'm not really sure how we're supposed to deal with it. We have a few things in our favour, namely that we naturally run MSU and a big slaughterborn battalion will be a real tough nut to crack for an army that mostly relies on rend, but the locus of diversion just curb stomps melee armies. If you send a single unit at a keeper that unit is pretty much doomed. You can try to work around it with multiple units, but if the opponent is clever with positioning the Contorted Epitome even that might not work. They're incredibly fast, hit like a truck, and can summon 1k of points in a game if they build for it. Plus 'building for it' isn't like Seraphon where you need to sacrifice composition and combat to generate points. It just means the Slaanesh player is including loads of high damage heroes and running them straight at you to do what they would do anyway. The fact that all of our good models are multi wound doesn't help either, they're just depravity points in waiting.

They're still new so it's all theoretical, but does anyone have any thoughts on a solid list to run into Slaanesh? 

I think Bloodthirsters will be best vs slaanesh maybe even something like 3 rage thirster and 1 unfettered. Then you do the 6” pile in trick to get around combat order and locus of diversion. All those rage attacks will probably get the couple of 6s required to provide bubbles of mortal wounds to kill the support heroes. Will need a lot of CP though so playing under points will be required. 

2 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Skip

Did the damaged keeper that killed the lord have sinostrous hand? Because if it did he suppose to heal d6wounds at the end of combat phase for killing a hero. Then d3 after killing a bestigor model in the next combat phase. Just curious if you remember.

1 hour ago, Poryague said:

Did the damaged keeper that killed the lord have sinostrous hand? Because if it did he suppose to heal d6wounds at the end of combat phase for killing a hero. Then d3 after killing a bestigor model in the next combat phase. Just curious if you remember.

It did. During the game we had been thinking that it was only wounds from the hand that healed. I probably should have checked since my opponent thought that locus only worked on heroes (had him check that since that sounded too good to be true), but I guess that means that slaanesh is a lot more dangerous than I had thought.  So his keeper would have had 1+d6+d3+spells:(+d3+1) wounds when it came into range, making it unlikely that I would have killed it. Geez. Definitely a tough match up for us. I'll have to ask to fight him again so that I learn. Ironically he wasn't happy with his list and talked about using a bunch of heralds with daemonette hordes in that mortal wound battalion. Another friend is going to use slaanesh slaves to darkness since they benefit from the allegiance abilities as much as the daemons do. Hopefully I'll have more insight into this threat later. Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

I think Bloodthirsters will be best vs slaanesh maybe even something like 3 rage thirster and 1 unfettered. Then you do the 6” pile in trick to get around combat order and locus of diversion.

We actually had a discussion about the thirster battalion's interactions with the locus ability. Assuming you have the always strikes first artifact that will let you bypass the locus (also assuming you get the option to select it first. IE: your turn) that would let you ignore the locus affecting one of your thirsters (the battalion says immediately pile in) so you could get anywhere from 2- 3 (4 if you have that 4+ always strikes first artifact go off) depending on who gets enthralled. Select whoever can go first, then select whoever is enthralled to bypass it, then it's down to "normal" selections was my conclusion. Other slaanesh players might disagree though. I don't roll with thirsters so others will have to playtest that. I'll try to find solutions for our mortal kin. Thinking of trying a bunch of small skullreaper units next. Cheers!

1 hour ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

It did. During the game we had been thinking that it was only wounds from the hand that healed. I probably should have checked since my opponent thought that locus only worked on heroes (had him check that since that sounded too good to be true), but I guess that means that slaanesh is a lot more dangerous than I had thought.  So his keeper would have had 1+d6+d3+spells:(+d3+1) wounds when it came into range, making it unlikely that I would have killed it. Geez. Definitely a tough match up for us. I'll have to ask to fight him again so that I learn. Ironically he wasn't happy with his list and talked about using a bunch of heralds with daemonette hordes in that mortal wound battalion. Another friend is going to use slaanesh slaves to darkness since they benefit from the allegiance abilities as much as the daemons do. Hopefully I'll have more insight into this threat later. Cheers!

On average would of been at 9 or 10 ish wounds unless he spiked the dice then he could of completely healed. Granted he could wiff it just as easily.

I see a lot of talk about anvils and hammers etc in lists, does everyone still use this terminology IRL?

I feel like it’s a hangover from whfb, I find in my experience locally and at events there isn’t this varied list of unit roles. In most cases it’s just chaff and hammers, due to the nature of AoS objective play and the lack of composition rules anymore lists are being boiled down to the super Killy characters/monsters  and the dross to claim.

I wouldn’t really say the BoK book has an anvil unit, back in the day you could have a 25 man unit in full plate with sword and board and stubborn banner that would hold anything reasonable for 3 turns maybe more. These days the damage output is immense, buffs are free and spells have no drawback, everything is fighting at 150% all the time and more recently the amount of units/armies that can double pile in for one reason or another means it’s two rounds of combat. 

IMO the best chaff units at our disposal are  fleshhounds and reavers, both are fast and cheap. They can claim objectives, block units and can attack enemy chaff. I prefer dogs for the weight of attacks.

Kill units for me would be bloodthirsters and skullreapers. Thirsters have movement, good damage/mortal wound, single model, amongst other things on their side. Reapers also have good damage, BS immunity, more damage resilient etc. 

BoK have a lot of units with a lot of overlap, the new book copy paste job didn’t really help define units or give them more specific roles. The next GHB really needs to shake things up as all I’m seeing is 3 units of dirt cheap X and 4 units of super powerful Y. There is no incentive (in other armies) to take smaller units and support pieces are criminally underlooked. Example, imagine for a second the skull cannon wasn’t overcosted but it could actually do something impactful. 1 shot/D6 wounds off units of 30 or mega monsters is nothing, what about if it held a unit in place, or halved its movement, stopped it from charging, did battle shock on 3D6, or something.  

At the moment the state of the game is not on par with the models or lore.

Edited by MOMUS
  • Thanks 2

For slaneesh, i think the humble bloodwarriors in a slaughterborn battalion will be our best friend.

It's not a issue striking after your opponent if being killed let you strike anyway. They have the tendency to bounce against heavy armored units, but slaneesh is quite frail, and they could even put some good damages on a keeper of secrets.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think a huge Brass Stampede is a very viable Khorne build.  Chaos Knights probably are too but should have that mounted Lord of Chaos with them too.  And Bloodstokers!  Bloodstoking all over the place.  I'm hoping that the Slaves to Dankness tome gives some battalions with the various god keywords like the Beasts of Chaos did; that would give many an old Warrior and Knight something new and exciting to be a part of.

Just a draft but how does this look? Not sure the battalion is needed to be honest.

There's so much more I'd want to add to this: Flesh Hounds, more Slaughterpriests, a Warshrine, more Bloodstokers, Chaos Lord on Manticore etc.

No relics or traits yet because I really don't know what would be best suited.

How bad would this list get stomped? Tactics are pretty much charge with Skullcrushers then Charge with Glaive Knights. Anivil and anvil?

Edit: forgot standards on Knights

Khorne Cavalry V.1.png

Edited by CrabSlap

Had another 1500 point game today against the same flesheater player with regent 2 courtiers and 3x6 flayers on battle of the pass.

This time I used a skullFiend tribe.

Insensate rage thirster general with artefact.

2x5 hounds

5 wrathmomger 

Banner and 2 priests. All 3 judgements. 

4 Individuals khorgoraths.

I started the game , advanced made a wall of judgement to protect one objective. Scored 5. He failed to cast anything them charged the unprotected obj. Killed 2 korvoraths 5 hounds. Then he got the double as one of the two judgement faded. He charged again killed everything but my BT, 2 korg and a priest.

On my turn I summoned 20 bloodletter and countercharged. Failed to make any 6 to wound with the thirster. Killed all but the heroes and 6 flayers. 

In the end I won only by a tiny margin due to intense summoning to recapture obj.  (Total 20+10 letter +5 hounds) was ok with the slaughter host. Not outstanding.

Additional thoughts : Hounds are amazing battlelines. They are fast, they hit hard, they dispell and natively rerolls charges.  Compared to other battlelines they do not need (or benefit?)  support. And bravery is not an issue compared to Warriors and Reavers. I like Bloodletters too but they NEED that +1A. Hounds delivers 20 attacks at their worst and will tear throught anything without armor.

Skullfiends Khorgoraths are great but i felt that you need more than 4 to really benefit from this Slaughterhost.

Insensate rage with 8 attacks is brutal. Nothing more to say.

I tend to like "no slaughterhost" mortal armies, the mortal command and artefacts traits are amazing, reroll charges, banner of mortal wounds, 5++, +2 attacks artifacts, -2 bravery artifact. blabla.

Edited by kozokus

10 hours ago, ledha said:

For slaneesh, i think the humble bloodwarriors in a slaughterborn battalion will be our best friend.

It's not a issue striking after your opponent if being killed let you strike anyway. They have the tendency to bounce against heavy armored units, but slaneesh is quite frail, and they could even put some good damages on a keeper of secrets.

The thing I worry about on bloodwarriors is they're perfect targets for heroes. They give up lots of tithe points and probably won't do enough damage to a hero to kill it, so the slaanesh player has a chance to heal it back then repeat. I do agree that they handle the daemonettes really well though 

I love blood warriors - aesthetically, lore, abilities and use. 

Sometimes I wonder how using chaos warriors would work with their mortal wound save. They don’t get to try to bounce mortals back, but they do survive longer. 

Ive found my blood warriors stick around long enough versus non mortal wound dishing enemies but they get wiped easy from MW. Chaos warriors would have the bonus of mw save.

10 points cheaper but lose out on goretide abilities, battalion bonuses etc.

has anyone had success or tricks to using  chaos warriors in new tome?

Thought I would share my experience today playing a 3 game 2k tourney today at my local gaming store in London. Was really pleased to go 3 - 0 in the end with a second place finish. Was a generally strong field, with a couple of Sylvaneth lists, Legions of Nagash, Skaven and Stormcast all present. 

This is a list I’ve landed on partly through a combination of the models I own and a bit of play testing. It’s a Skullfiend mortals list based on Bloodforged battalion and a single Unfettered fury thirster.

The List:

Spoiler

SKULLFIEND TRIBE

Leader. Skullgrinder (General)

MARK OF THE DESTROYER

<BLOODFORGED>

+++ Head Taker +++

Leader. Skarr Bloodwrath 

Leader. Slaughterpriest 100

Bloodbathed Axe

BRONZED FLESH

Leader, Behemoth. Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury 300

CROWNCLEAVER

Battleline. Blood Warriors (5) 100

Gorefist

<BLOODFORGED>

Battleiine. Blood Warriors (5) 100

Gorefist

<BLOODFORGED>

Battleiine. Blood Warriors (5) 100

Gorefist

<BLOODFORGED>

Other. Skullcrushers (6) 360

Ensorcelled Axe

Other. Wrathmongers (5) 140

<BLOODFORGED>

Other. Wrathmongers (5) 140

<BLOODFORGED>

Other. Khorgoraths (3) 300

Battalion. Bloodforged 120

Judgements. Hexgorger Skulls 40

Game 1 Starstrike

Was drawn against my club-mate Josh - he was playing a Skaven army with some of the usual shenanigans of the Verminlord warpseer (4+ reroll, then 5+++/5+++), Warp vortex endless spell + 2 Lightning cannons, 3 jezzails and 100 clanrats.=

IMG_0322.JPG.adaa71940ece4218dfcb0acee576238f.JPG

Game 1 - turn 1 opponent hero phase

I was quite worried about the WLC’s shooting and the slowing effect of the vortex, plus it was starstrike so I spread my army out across the whole board, with my faster units on the flanks. I didn’t think I’d be able to break his castle so I planned to play an objective game over wherever the middle objective ended up.

Game basically boiled down to a fight over the center objective - and Josh didn’t really move his skaven castle up enough to really threaten the objective. He also threw his warpseer up unsupported to contest the middle - and although he took a lot of beating - the double fighting wrathmongers eventually knocked him down. Big moment of the game was the unfettered fury’s ability to stop a large clanrat blob from falling back in his movement phase -which stopped him from falling back and charging onto the objective.

Game 2 - Take and Hold

Opponent was Angelcore’s Adam - using Order Draconis with triple dragon lord - Quicksilver Potion, Dimensional blade and doppleganger cloak. 4 units of dragon blades in 10, 5, 5, 5.

IMG_0324.JPG.536d5d382a63f290030d41ff7e21e112.JPG

Game 2 Turn 1 start of opponent's movement

I was really worried about the alpha potential of this list, I wanted to make sure he couldn’t go into my hammers without taking some casualties on the way - so I deployed in a screening formation with blood warriors and mongers out front - hiding my squishy heroes behind a convenient rock that happened to be on the board. I’d not played the dragonlord list - but I knew enough to know this was going to be a short but bloody affair!

The game was essentially a huge bloodbath, when Adam decided to go hell for leather and charged down my throat turn 1. I’d moved conservatively in my turn 1 - and I’d tried to use the shrine + skulls to block off some space, But with such a huge move, I doubt it made a difference. A small sequencing error on Adam’s part allowed a unit of my wrathmongers to pile in and kill the dimensional blade dragonlord in his turn 1, which was a big swing in the trading game. The skullcrushers tanked the quicksilver dragon lord, only losing 2 and chunking him back in return. The blood warriors did what they do and died to a man! Even after all this, He would have won the game on the T3 priority roll due to the jankiness of this mission. As it was, I won that roll off - and sealed the game off. 

IMG_0325.JPG.c261598b888a08160068909a1ef06bd9.JPG

Game 2 - end of game

Game 3 - Focal Points

Playing against Jake who was running Harvestboon Sylvaneth with 2 x 30 Dryads, a Treelord Ancient with ethereal amulet and 6 Scythe Kurnoths, 3 swords Kurnoths and Cogs. 

IMG_0326.JPG.0bb97e8161fcc647226f70d0fafaf535.JPG

Game 3 - opponent turn 2 combat phase

I put my shrine in the middle to block off some wildwood space, and the board helped me out by having a nice spread of terrain to prevent the woods from going too crazy. He deployed knowing he would redeploy, and I spread out across the 2 deployment zone objectives with the crushers on one flank and the khorgies on the other. 

He did his turn 1 shenanigan spawned a load of woods and lobbed a unit of 30 dryads with -2 to hit on the central objective (native ability near woods and shyish realm spell). As he was nestled in the woods and I didn’t want to go in - I used blood bind to pull the unit of 30 forward so I had more frontage to charge him. I then three 2 units of mongers, the thirster and my skullcrushers into the unit of 30 with the crushers engaging a nearby treelord. The sheer weight of attacks and the thirster eventually ground the unit in the middle down quite quickly - despite the -2 to hit, and with bronzed flesh - the skullcrushers tanked the tree lord’s attacks and wore down and killed it on their own. Key moment was when he threw his kurnoths into the middle, and I was able to activate 6” pile in on the thirster to stay safe then pile in and attack the charging kurnoths. With -2 and no rerolls (due to charging) - he wasted them pretty effectively. By turn 4 I had won every fight and was pushing through to his backfield.

Overall

Overall - I am really happy with how this list performs and the new book in general. I feel like the new tome has freed us from the Gore Pilgrims servitude with a multitude of different builds that seem viable. Various war scroll tweaks have made the army so much more self-sufficient and not completely reliant on buffs to compete. 

A great day against 3 fantastic, and friendly opponents - and much blood (and sap) was spilt in Khornes name!

MVP’s

The Bloodforged wrathmongers always punch well above their 140 points. The double pile in is absolutely incredible and turns them into a real powerhouse unit with the sheer number of -1 rend saves they can push through for a unit with such a small footprint. Even the skullgrinder is a useful little model, especially with the +2 attack relic.

The Bloodthirster of Unfettered fury, is so versatile, and a perfect carrier for crowncleaver, with 8 attacks, he’s truly a force to be reckoned with, and his shooting attack is also surprisingly effective and reliable. Biggest thing of all is the 6” pile in, which I’m finding is still catching people off guard, and lets him retreat and still fight - combined with FLY makes him one of my favourite units in the list.

The Mighty Skullcrushers - I’ve usually found myself deploying them on a flank, where they can absolutely hold their own, and beat most things just by forcing huge numbers of saves on them. People are so scared on the mortal wound charge - that they usually try to engage them with something, only for their 3+ saves and 5 wounds to absorb the damage, and they grind through most units with 4+ or worse non rerolling saves.

Thanks for reading - hope it was interesting!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/10/2019 at 2:17 PM, CrabSlap said:

How viable is a cavalry list made up mostly of a Juggerlord, Skullcrusher battleline and Chaos Knights? 

Seems like a fun idea but being new, I don't know how these units perform.

Should be okay as long as you include dog screen. Crushers and knights both rely on the charge and are not fast enough to pull turn 1 charges. You'll have to tie things up with dogs.

Crushers are strictly better than knights, but cost more.

Also don't forget obligatory priest with skulls and bloodsecrator, cavalry scales really well from him.

Edited by Smooth criminal

On 5/11/2019 at 1:42 AM, Grimrock said:

6" pile in gets around all forms of first strike on your turn. Unfettered fury will have to carry very hard in current meta.

Edited by Smooth criminal

5 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

Should be okay as long as you include dog screen. Crushers and knights both rely on the charge and are not fast enough to pull turn 1 charges. You'll have to tie things up with dogs.

Crushers are strictly better than knights, but cost more.

Also don't forget obligatory priest with skulls and bloodsecrator, cavalry scales really well from him.

When you say dogs, do you mean Flesh Hounds or Warhounds?

Is it better just to go all Crushers and forget the Knights?

On 5/11/2019 at 3:29 AM, TheArborealWalrus said:

We actually had a discussion about the thirster battalion's interactions with the locus ability. Assuming you have the always strikes first artifact that will let you bypass the locus (also assuming you get the option to select it first. IE: your turn) that would let you ignore the locus affecting one of your thirsters (the battalion says immediately pile in) so you could get anywhere from 2- 3 (4 if you have that 4+ always strikes first artifact go off) depending on who gets enthralled. Select whoever can go first, then select whoever is enthralled to bypass it, then it's down to "normal" selections was my conclusion. Other slaanesh players might disagree though. I don't roll with thirsters so others will have to playtest that. I'll try to find solutions for our mortal kin. Thinking of trying a bunch of small skullreaper units next. Cheers!

You can't just skip the locust afaik. It states, that even that units, that might go first, will go last, no matter what makes them go first.

3 hours ago, Battlefury said:

You can't just skip the locust afaik. It states, that even that units, that might go first, will go last, no matter what makes them go first.

The locus specifically calls out that if the unit has an effect that would let it hit at the start of combat the effects cancel and the unit fights at normal time. 

• Thanks 1

The skullfiend tribe feels a bit too specialized to me, like only taking it if you want to use the contents of the skulltake battalion. They're in an odd place. Was thinking of trying out an insensate rage thirster with the +2 attacks artifact from the skullfiends and maybe making him the general to hunt heroes.

Theoretical list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne, Skullfiends, 1980pts, 5 drops, 144 wounds

-Slaughterborn:

Exalted deathbringer

2X5 skullreapers

10skullreapers

3X5 bloodwarriors

-2X5 wrathmongers

-Bloodsecrator + mortal wound banner

-Bloodthirster of insensate rage + general + crowncleaver

My biggest problem with the list (besides feeling cheezy for all those reapers) is that it has no chaff. Whatever hits is going to more than likely hit the offensive arm of the army. Guarding skullreapers with bloodwarriors  would be challenging just from the standpoint of their base size, never mind that they outnumber them in this list. The 10 man block is to deal with non slaanesh armies where a bigger hammer matters. Beyond that this is my standard castles around the wrathmongers for nice blendy action plan.  The smaller castle will probably have both heroes to make up for the 10 man unit in the other. Also thought about switching the banner to mark of the destroyer on the deathbringer. Give him the spear for potential mortal wounds. I'd also like slaughterpriests in there, but most of the units don't need the boost from the priests. Plus I spent their points on the thirster.

I can never decide on picking artifacts for my armies. They all seem okay, with no one that clearly shines above the rest. What are your thoughts on which artifacts are best for what? Cheers for any thoughts!

2 hours ago, Battlefury said:

It says that the locus and the  ability neutralize each other, causing the unit/bearer to go normally. This isn't anything making them go first though. This is entirely dependent on another thirster going first that is a part of the battalion. Our thought process was two fold. 1: the rule says immediately afterwards, making it dependent on one going first, not the one being chosen to go next. 2: It's an ability that you have to pay for vs an innate ability. I feel like there is a precedent set by the artifacts trumping the idoneth's ability. Like I said though, other players might disagree. Definitely a discussion to have with your opponent before the game if you have the battalion. Besides that we just have to wait for the faq to sort out the questions about the locus and order of operations. There's a couple of armies/battalions that could use a clarification.

23 hours ago, Goat said:

What's the best use for bloodletters

Fair disclaimer: I rarely use bloodletters because I like to play mortals. Earlier on I believe that someone listed them as punchy battleline. You can definitely turn them into an alright hammer, but they would require careful management to keep them safe (5+ is squishy) and to keep them in bubbles of +1 attack (if you take a serious blob of them). Daemon heroes will also boost their accuracy. Battleshock is much less of an issue for them though, so you might be tempted to send them off on their own, but they need the support to shine as damage dealers.  Otherwise bloodreavers are probably better for camping back at base. You'd have to ask our daemonic kin about whether msu or larger blobs are best though.

Also, I dig the deathbringer. Rock on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

It says that the locus and the  ability neutralize each other, causing the unit/bearer to go normally. This isn't anything making them go first though. This is entirely dependent on another thirster going first that is a part of the battalion. Our thought process was two fold. 1: the rule says immediately afterwards, making it dependent on one going first, not the one being chosen to go next. 2: It's an ability that you have to pay for vs an innate ability. I feel like there is a precedent set by the artifacts trumping the idoneth's ability. Like I said though, other players might disagree. Definitely a discussion to have with your opponent before the game if you have the battalion. Besides that we just have to wait for the faq to sort out the questions about the locus and order of operations. There's a couple of armies/battalions that could use a clarification.

If you plan on using 3 blood thirster and you get all the charges. Then as long as 1 of them is not pushed back to last then they should all go immidiatly as long as you pick one that was not foorced to last. The multi activation of blood thirsters is not a strike first ability so wouldnt interact with the locus unless of course all of them got pushed to last. So in order for this to fail all blood thirsters must be pushed to last, fail your charge, or activate incorrectly.

A bloodthirster with the stike first artifact if he gets taged by the locus then its back to normal activation. However the epitome can tag him again at the begining of combat with horrible fascination and push him back to last. 

This comes down to positioning on both sides and how the slaanesh list was built. I could see them using doppleganger cloak as back up if they get in a bad spot. This creats more issues.

Edited by Poryague
  • Like 1

We won’t see any point reductions. I would love to see:

Blood Warriors 80/420

Bloodreavers 60/220

Bloodsecrator 120

Skullcrushers 160

Bloodcrushers 120

Skull Cannon 120

Half a dozen hero and battalion changes too. But again, we won’t get any.

• Like 1