AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Impa said:

Has anyone run a 30 man bloodwarrior blob? So your 3x goreglaives are out front while your blob is locked in combat? that would be a serious wall of madmen with all the random buffs we can dish out to it. Some serious objective holding power. 

I think you got to weigh the pros and cons

- 520 points (80 points discount)

- Hard to shift

vs

- you can only have 1 champion per unit so only 1 gore glaive gets 3 attacks

- hard to move around with the blob

- you still need 2 more battleline units for 2k points game

- hard to fit in wholly within requirements

Edited by shoutenraku

10 minutes ago, shoutenraku said:

- Hard to shift

vs

Goreglaives specifically can't get the attack from the champ. He gets +1 attack with goreaxe(s).  However, the other points are valid.

60 wounds on a 3+/4+ save are pretty cool though. Certainly a good anvil unit. 

5 man chaos warriors or 20 man marauders at 90/120pts can fill battleline. Problem is finding a big enough hammer. Skull reapers and make them immune to rend with the batallion? 

21 minutes ago, shoutenraku said:

- Hard to shift

vs

"1 in every 10 models can replace the units weapon option with a goreglaive" as per the war scroll. Your champion can't take the glaive anymore either. So essentially your 30 man unit can cary 3 glaives with 2 attacks each (+ whatever additional attacks from monger or stoker or both for potential 4 attacks each 3/3/-1/2dmg/re roll wounds) so your essentially making a 60 wound unit with gorefists bounce back mortal wounds. they can no respite on death, you have your rend from the glaives out front. whipping them re roll wounds with potential re rolls to hit from goretide and giving them bronzed flesh makes them a serious anvil. i think the pros outweigh the cons. its alot of points to invest YES. So i'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and their thoughts. :)

Edited by Impa

24 minutes ago, medivouk said:

Goreglaives specifically can't get the attack from the champ. He gets +1 attack with goreaxe(s).  However, the other points are valid.

60 wounds on a 3+/4+ save are pretty cool though. Certainly a good anvil unit. 

5 man chaos warriors or 20 man marauders at 90/120pts can fill battleline. Problem is finding a big enough hammer. Skull reapers and make them immune to rend with the batallion? 

22 minutes ago, Impa said:

"1 in every 10 models can replace the units weapon option with a goreglaive" as per the war scroll. Your champion can't take the glaive anymore either. So essentially your 30 man unit can cary 3 glaives with 2 attacks each (+ whatever additional attacks from monger or stoker or both for potential 4 attacks each 3/3/-1/2dmg/re roll wounds) so your essentially making a 60 wound unit with gorefists bounce back mortal wounds. they can no respite on death, you have your rend from the glaives out front. whipping them re roll wounds with potential re rolls to hit from goretide and giving them bronzed flesh makes them a serious anvil. i think the pros outweigh the cons. its alot of points to invest YES. So i'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and their thoughts. :)

Ah....my bad, didn't notice the change.

Well...don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on the idea. I'm just pointing out what I think are the pros and cons.

Anyway while I didn't run a 30 man bloodwarriors unit before, I ran a 30 man chaos warriors unit was playing against fryeslayers' old tome. I manage to hold up against a 30man vulkite, another 10man vulkite and a magmadroth for a couple of turns while other units hold objectives. With buffs and everything they do ok. I think bloodwarriors will do better damage wise but will be a lot weaker to shooty armies.

2 hours ago, Impa said:

Has anyone run a 30 man bloodwarrior blob? So your 3x goreglaives are out front while your blob is locked in combat? that would be a serious wall of madmen with all the random buffs we can dish out to it. Some serious objective holding power. 

I haven't tried it, but it seems like it would take up a ridiculous amount of board space and points. Seems like a lot for ablative glaive wounds

Do 30 warriors fit into stoker bubble?

- put them into slaughterborn

- add bronzed flesh

- run forward and bodyblock the board on turn 1

- keep CP in reserve if something manages to hit them hard enough to cause a big battleshock

If the opponent can't clear them they lose if they can he will still get hit back by no respite.

1 hour ago, shoutenraku said:

Ah....my bad, didn't notice the change.

Well...don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on the idea. I'm just pointing out what I think are the pros and cons.

Anyway while I didn't run a 30 man bloodwarriors unit before, I ran a 30 man chaos warriors unit was playing against fryeslayers' old tome. I manage to hold up against a 30man vulkite, another 10man vulkite and a magmadroth for a couple of turns while other units hold objectives. With buffs and everything they do ok. I think bloodwarriors will do better damage wise but will be a lot weaker to shooty armies.

Absolutely no worries and i agree range based armies are definitely an Achilles heal to bloodwarriors. As their no respite is nullified in shooting phases due to only being able to activate it in combat phase. thanks for the replies!

1 hour ago, Warbossironteef said:

I think all the points on 30 man blob are valid and I'm sure it could work. I don't think the discussion is can it work, the discussion is, can a 20 man blob do what you want and give you more points to put else where in your army? I think in Goretide, that answer is yes for most games.

I'd try both!

i posed a list a few posts back i am going to try with the 30 man unit. I will report back when i can get a game in. Alas work life has kept me swamped. 

I have used the 30 brick as part of bloodforged in a couple of games so far and it has been a game winner. I’m excited to try it in slaughterborn but I haven’t yet been able to build a list there I love yet.

How I used it was to whip the unit up as well as warshrine bless it and bronzed flesh/brazen fury/killing frenzy all turn 1 and goretide fire then up the board to multicharge as much as they can. They have enough bite to do some damage with the 3 glaives and full rerolls to hurt something but most importantly they can tie up a sizable portion of the enemy army for a few turns while the rest of the army moves into position for objectives or whatever else. 

if the unit does die it’s usually not for a full 3 turns at least with how durable they are and they by then I can usually get by buffs back in range for one last hurrah with the glaives.

I believe when I ran this I had bloodsecrator (thronebreakers torc), skullgrinder (hew the foe, gorecleaver), 2 slaighterpriests and a Bloodstoker as leaders. 30x Warriors, 2x10 reavers, chaos warshrine, 2x5 wrathmongers, 1 skull cannon, bloodforged batallion and all 3 judgements. 

I would probably drop the cannon now (played this last pre-faq) and see what else can shift for maybe a thirster, but I really want to try a slaughterborn variant as I think the reapers will do more work and I didn’t care for the bloodforged bonus ability it was hard to pull off after people realized how dangerous the skullgrinder is.

Just played a 2500 point Blood and Glory against Tomb Kings using Tyler's book.

I lost at the  end of turn 1. His Necrosphinx did 19 wounds to the Insensate Rage General.  He had already summoned an additional 350 points of models. It was over.

Gee, Khorne is so much fun. Even a deleted army fights better than the forces of the god of fighting.

Edited by Sleboda

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

I lost at the  end of turn 1. His Necrosphinx did 19 wounds to the Insensate Rage General.  He had already summoned an additional 350 points of models. It was over.

Gee, Khorne is so much fun. Even a deleted army fights better than the forces of the god of fighting.

Tomb Kings have not had summoning since their 2017 update.

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I don't know man, I could probably produce a battletome that can curb stomp official release armies. That doesn't mean they're bad.

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Tomb Kings have not had summoning since their 2017 update.

Like I said, though, Tyler's book. It's far more interesting and well done than the mockery that the compendium rules push out there.

Honesty, the summoning had little to do with it. The Necrosphinx was the problem.

Has anyone had a chance to try out skulltake blood reavers or blood warriors yet? I feel like rerolling wounds on some juiced up reavers might grant a good number of 2 damage -1 rend attacks. I've gotten decent damage output from reavers in the past, so I feel like some killing frenzy reavers with reroll wounds might get a lot of benefit from skulltake.

I feel like the reavers are attractive for their volume of attacks and rend. The low wound rolls mean they will be rerolling more fishing for sixes.

Edit: Goretide skulltake reavers. You juice up unit 1, and throw them into as many enemy as possible, then next turn do it to unit 2 after the first unit is dead. I feel like you would still have a sizable force on the table and the reavers should have put down some good pain.

Edited by kahadin

29 minutes ago, kahadin said:

Has anyone had a chance to try out skulltake blood reavers or blood warriors yet? I feel like rerolling wounds on some juiced up reavers might grant a good number of 2 damage -1 rend attacks. I've gotten decent damage output from reavers in the past, so I feel like some killing frenzy reavers with reroll wounds might get a lot of benefit from skulltake.

I feel like the reavers are attractive for their volume of attacks and rend. The low wound rolls mean they will be rerolling more fishing for sixes.

Edit: Goretide skulltake reavers. You juice up unit 1, and throw them into as many enemy as possible, then next turn do it to unit 2 after the first unit is dead. I feel like you would still have a sizable force on the table and the reavers should have put down some good pain.

I used to like this tactic with old dark feast but the wholly within style of new rules does make it harder to get mass contact whilst maintaining the buffs. 

But it’s still valid and you can just use the whip on 10 skull reapers and goto town :)  If the reavers are going to struggle to get buffs. 

I also think reavers can be good to tie up Death Stars by just getting 1 model in 1/2” of a corner of their blob and everyone else daisy chains away to a hero for IP. Now the deathstar has terrible contact and will take a while to kill them or they’re forced to retreat. 

The idea would be to suicide them, so they only need one turn of buffs. Buff them in the mass of your army, the send them out with the command ability. They move 15" if whipped and have a minimum 5" charge. That is a minimum of 20"

I feel like it might be work as units of 10 or 20. They would roll out and cause trouble while the bulk of your slower force gets into position. 

However if the damage they deal is nothing special then it would be a bit of a waste. I've got a pile of things to try out this weekend, so I might as well try this out too. 

29 minutes ago, kahadin said:

The idea would be to suicide them, so they only need one turn of buffs. Buff them in the mass of your army, the send them out with the command ability. They move 15" if whipped and have a minimum 5" charge. That is a minimum of 20"

I feel like it might be work as units of 10 or 20. They would roll out and cause trouble while the bulk of your slower force gets into position. 

However if the damage they deal is nothing special then it would be a bit of a waste. I've got a pile of things to try out this weekend, so I might as well try this out too. 

As was pointed out the problem is that the unit has to be within range of the Bloodstoker to get the batallion benefit, which will be difficult if it's catapulted away. IMO Skulltake batallion is contradictory in itself as you want the Bloodstoker to get units as far away from him as possible, but if they succeed in doing so they lose the batallion benefits that he gives. I think assigning him to a unit of 10 Skullreapers with 1-2 flanking Khorgoraths would be the best option, but the question is still if it's just too limiting as a batallion and plays against the offensive nature of the Bloodstoker buff.

They really should've made the Aspiring Deathbringer the batallion character instead. Talk about a skulltake!

Edited by Bjornas
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

As was pointed out the problem is that the unit has to be within range of the Bloodstoker to get the batallion benefit, which will be difficult if it's catapulted away. IMO Skulltake batallion is contradictory in itself as you want the Bloodstoker to get units as far away from him as possible, but if they succeed in doing so they lose the batallion benefits that he gives. I think assigning him to a unit of 10 Skullreapers with 1-2 flanking Khorgoraths would be the best option, but the question is still if it's just too limiting as a batallion and plays against the offensive nature of the Bloodstoker buff.

They really should've made the Aspiring Deathbringer the batallion character instead. Talk about a skulltake!

You're absolutely right, I missed that they would be out of range of the blood stoker for the battalion buff. It at least makes the batallion or the command ability useless. You would have to do one or the other.

I still think there is potential to amp up the meatripper axes, but I'm sorry that you can't take advantage of the speed too.

Don't waste time trying to make reaver anything else than a screen or a backfield unit preventing deepstrike. They are worse than every horde in the game, while being more expensive, and on 32mm base. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ledha said:

Don't waste time trying to make reaver anything else than a screen or a backfield unit preventing deepstrike. They are worse than every horde in the game, while being more expensive, and on 32mm base. 

Wholly within 16 of bloodsecrator is easy at that point they’re on 3 attacks and with a single whip re roll all fail wounds so they can be ok. Not great but decent so there is some non screening uses for them.