AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hello, i am new to the forum and roughly new to age of sigmar too. 

Khorne has been my calling in the grim darkness of the far future, and so shall it be my allegiance in the mortal realms aswell. 

So i come here now to seek the wisdom of those who might actually know the rules, unlike myself.

I have a question about the slaughter priests and how their abilities work. The priest has two abilities in their warscroll which i assume are prayers, and they get to pick one of the blood blessings from our battletome. I am quite confused as to which prayers and how many of them can 1 or more khornate priests actually do per turn. Lets assume i have a single slaughter priest:

A) The priest can cast his chosen blood blessing for example the Blood Sacrifice, and can then proceed to cast both of the prayers in his warscroll, Blood Boil and Blood Bind, since they are not duplicates as the rules forbid me from chanting the same prayer multiple times a turn, even on a entirely different priest. 

B) Am i simply allowed to pick one of the prayers known to the priest and chant it, and cant cast any further prayers for that priest? 

Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoLifeKing said:

Hello, i am new to the forum and roughly new to age of sigmar too. 

Khorne has been my calling in the grim darkness of the far future, and so shall it be my allegiance in the mortal realms aswell. 

So i come here now to seek the wisdom of those who might actually know the rules, unlike myself.

I have a question about the slaughter priests and how their abilities work. The priest has two abilities in their warscroll which i assume are prayers, and they get to pick one of the blood blessings from our battletome. I am quite confused as to which prayers and how many of them can 1 or more khornate priests actually do per turn. Lets assume i have a single slaughter priest:

A) The priest can cast his chosen blood blessing for example the Blood Sacrifice, and can then proceed to cast both of the prayers in his warscroll, Blood Boil and Blood Bind, since they are not duplicates as the rules forbid me from chanting the same prayer multiple times a turn, even on a entirely different priest. 

B) Am i simply allowed to pick one of the prayers known to the priest and chant it, and cant cast any further prayers for that priest? 

Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

he can cast in the same turn one prayer of his warscroll, one prayer of the battletome, as well as a khorne judgment

the prayers from the warscrolls are not limited by the rule of 1, so 3 slaughterpriest can use 3 time the blood boil, for example

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ledha said:

he can cast in the same turn one prayer of his warscroll, one prayer of the battletome, as well as a khorne judgment

the prayers from the warscrolls are not limited by the rule of 1, so 3 slaughterpriest can use 3 time the blood boil, for example

Wow, sounds powerful! This clears up most of my confusion surrounding the slaughter priests. Thanks a bunch for the swift reply mate!

Its cool to see so many different list. Even all 4 of the Host are represented and seem like solid armies. If nothing else, not being pigeonholed in Gore Pilgrims or deathstar Bloodletters, is a lot of fun. The fact the new book presents so many options its possible to keep switching up your meta and still play competitively. 

The tournoment @ledha placed 3 seems legit. Lov posted his stats the other day on honest wargamer and Khorne came in 2nd at an event in Sweeden i think. Here is updated stats https://thehonestwargamer.com/april-23rd-stats/ there was sever "big" competitive events around the world since new tome. Im not sure how they choose what events qualify to be added to stats but its only tournoment style ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Its cool to see so many different list. Even all 4 of the Host are represented and seem like solid armies. If nothing else, not being pigeonholed in Gore Pilgrims or deathstar Bloodletters, is a lot of fun. The fact the new book presents so many options its possible to keep switching up your meta and still play competitively. 

The tournoment @ledha placed 3 seems legit. Lov posted his stats the other day on honest wargamer and Khorne came in 2nd at an event in Sweeden i think. Here is updated stats https://thehonestwargamer.com/april-23rd-stats/ there was sever "big" competitive events around the world since new tome. Im not sure how they choose what events qualify to be added to stats but its only tournoment style ones.

There are a lot of tournaments going on in France, but they mostly appear on T3 tournament (https://www.tabletoptournaments.net/fr/overview). Most of them are small, because the WFB community was extremely big and a enormous majority didn't made the transition to AOS , but there is a few 20/40 players tournaments every month, and a few bigger than 50+, time to time. Our best players are very good (Kozokus is one of them). Some of them even won the Best International Team at the Bloodtithe 2018  and in 2019, but most of the french players stay in france.

We still suffer for a lack of interest from other countries i guess ? After the Bloodtithe event from 2019 for example, the Honest Wargamer interviewed a lot of teams, mostly all the non-english ones... but none of the FOUR french teams ! So our 40+ players tournaments results are ignored while the 12-20 players tournaments from sweden or australia are taken into account. Same for germany, which tournaments results never appear on Honest Wargamer.

Edited by ledha
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thats interesting now that you mention it, you're right. I never hear anything about France. I hear UK, USA, Australia, Sweeden, and just recently Canada. I see they make battletomes in French tho so their must be a market there and players.

I think AoS is really just picking up now. All pre 2.0 feels like beta. I have to say i think GW did an excellent job promoting 2.0 and it was very well recieved, most people liked the new direction of game and rule changes. I seen a number of 40k players make the switch to AoS scince Soul Wars.

I dont usually watch StormCast but the last episode had GWs  head of Sigmar team on it and its cool to see AoS has a team devoted just to AoS type productions now instead of it just being some side gig guys work on once in awhile. He focused on how they are building the game to last for decades to come which was reassuring and it very much looks to me like 2.0 tomes are a good foundation for that.

14 hours ago, ledha said:

They have an excellent damage output, yes, i think it's the most undercosted unit of the mortal khorne side. 2 unit gave me a lot of cover for the +1 attack and their range made them very useful to fight behind my troop or to gangup on a lone character. I really recommand to always take 2 unitin your khorne army if you have enough points for it.

Anyway... ROUND 2 ! 

Esoteric sites, with the 3 objectives only wizards and item-bearer character can cap. Urh. Hate this one, with only one slaughterpriest and my bloodsecrator being able to give me points. And i was... against a stormcast army. A very subtle one, with 2x20 sequitors backed by 2 castellants, one Heraldor, 3x5 liberators and 5 as well as 10 evocators.

1559218717_secondbattle.jpg.670029186d9119f25d821d4e33f7b983.jpg

So, i have 2 unit who can cap vs 3 (his item bearer and two units of evocators). Ouch. I decide to focus on center and my left flank, and ignore the right flank. I take the first turn, and run my bloodsecrator and slaughterpriest to the middle and left flank, with 20 bloodwarriors and 5 skullreapers in the center, 10 skullreapers and 5 wrathmonger on my left, and 10 bloodreavers and 5 wrathmongers on my right. They are placed to prevent the evocator for reaching the point at least one turn even with charge+pile-in. However, i'm at great risk because my heroes had to run 6 to join the objectives points, and my units were behind with ****** run rolls. I had no choice to hope for my opponent to miss his charges and not having the double turn.

I summon the skulls on my left flank to block a large part of it from my opponent (there is a huge scenery who protect this point from melee, making it hard to access)

He deepstrile 10 evocators and 2x5 libs on my left flank, while the rest of his army (20 sequitors+castellant+5liberators on center, 20 sequitors+5 evocators and castellant on my right) advance. His heraldor hurt my heroes on the center, because i was dumb enough to put the altar near the objective point. I'm EXTREMELY LUCKY here because my opponent fail all of his charges, and don't have the double turn. If he had either, i could have lost here and there.

I take the turn, and shield my slaughterpriest on the left from my opponent's evocators with buffed skullreapers and the hexgorger skulls. I use bloodboil to do some mortal wounds on the castellant and kill him. On the center of the battlefield, 5 skullreapers charge the liberators, while the others (with+1 to hit), helped by 10 bloodwarriors and 5 wrathmongers, charge the big block of 20 sequitor. Seeing the ennemy heraldor is not well protected, My other unit of bloodwarrior use the goretide ability to run+charge him and engage the other block of sequitors. I kill the heraldor as well as the 5 liberators, 1 gryph-hound and 6 sequitors. Themselves don't do much in return, fighting units ignoring rend-1 and having few space to manoeuver.

My opponents turn start. I use the bloodtithe so my skullreapers strike the enemy sequitors in the hero, killing even more of them (no castellant light+no reroll save because it's not the combat phase). My opponent charge my right flank with his evocators and engage it with his sequitors (because of the pile-in), killing everyone. On the left, liberators and evocators engage the armored skullreapers and nearly kill them all, but don't have enough space to manoeuver enough to reach the slaughterpriest, while the sequitors in the middle continue to lose against my wrathmongers/skullreapers/bloodwarriors, who kill a gryph-hound.

Turn 3. I'm happy because center is secured by left flank is crumbling. I use blood tithe to make retreat then move my bloodwarriors to make a second defensive line for the slaughterpriest. I summon the axe, and use as much blood boil as possible to kill evocators, and charge the second blob of sequitors with the skullreapers who killed the liberators previously, engaging in a confusing melee. The big blob of sequitors end up killed, while the second

My opponent surrend at the end of the turn, because i have too many points and he won"t be able to catch up fast enough.

Major victory, a lot thanks to being lucky on initiative roll and my opponent lack of luck.

Nice victory!

I think your knowledge of the game helps a lot as well, using bloodtithe to deny his light+rerolls to nail the sequitors is huge. In a tournament setting when under pressure, people tend to forget about such details.

• LOVE IT! 1

I don’t see many lists using Mighty Skullcrushers, I think a lot feel they gotta do brass stampede etc.

A line of 6 can do some serious damage to a flank and hold ground really well. 5 wounds a pop at 3+, i love placing bronzed flesh on them to get them 2+

Consider that you can get 6 skullcrushers for the price of 10 reapers but they are deadly. If the charge goes off on the 6 unit it’s brutal. Most good players will try to snipe at least 1 so the charge doesn’t hurt or counter charge first. 

I always run the spears for the the rend though. They mostly reroll their misses if you run goretide and are playing objectives too. 

1 minute ago, Sneeto said:

I don’t see many lists using Mighty Skullcrushers, I think a lot feel they gotta do brass stampede etc.

A line of 6 can do some serious damage to a flank and hold ground really well. 5 wounds a pop at 3+, i love placing bronzed flesh on them to get them 2+

Consider that you can get 6 skullcrushers for the price of 10 reapers but they are deadly. If the charge goes off on the 6 unit it’s brutal. Most good players will try to snipe at least 1 so the charge doesn’t hurt or counter charge first. 

I always run the spears for the the rend though. They mostly reroll their misses if you run goretide and are playing objectives too. 

Its more that at 6, they are very unwieldy, and the moment you have less than 6, they hit like a wet blanket. But yes, if everything goes right for them, and you can smack all 6 into an enemy unit without losing one along the way, they will hurt a ton.

49 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Its more that at 6, they are very unwieldy, and the moment you have less than 6, they hit like a wet blanket. But yes, if everything goes right for them, and you can smack all 6 into an enemy unit without losing one along the way, they will hurt a ton.

I actually feel they hit pretty decently considering how tanky they are balanced to their point cost. The mount attacks are pretty nice. I wouldn’t use them to kill a big baddy that has to die quickly though.

Being unwieldy hasn’t been a major problem for me, but can be tricky. I usually like to run them 4 line and 2 behind. A line of 6 usually gets blocked by terrain to get a flat charge and a good opponent won’t let you. Going 4/2 works well because you can charge the unit and while only 4 may get the d3 off, during combat you can pile it so you get all 6 in combat usually. 

You can outrun most units that move to capture objectives with running and they leave a great foot print to block enemy from being within 6 inch of the objectives. You can turn their unwieldy nature into a benefit! Good luck getting through them in two turns! That’s two turns of scoring. They have performed fantastic for me at the last Grand tournament I went to. 

30 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Unsupported, each averages 1 damage per combat phase against 4+ armor. That is not good for a 60pt per model investment. On a point for point basis, Glaivewraith Stalkers outdamage them based on raw combat stats.

Fore sure, if you make totally unsupported, non-charging warscroll damage output your sole consideration. Not sure why you'd do that though, especially with Khorne...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Roark said:

Fore sure, if you make totally unsupported, non-charging warscroll damage output your sole consideration. Not sure why you'd do that though, especially with Khorne...

Because if you utilize their speed they are going to outpace many of our buffs. And other than charging with a 6+ unit (or if they get charged themselves since there are plenty of much faster things out there), their damage output is poor.

9 hours ago, Sneeto said:

I've been trying to stuff them into my lists as well but the issue I'm seeing is that a unit of 6 is 360 points. That's a big chunk of change that's not always available, so it seems to me that you have to build a list around them rather than shoehorning them in.

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Because if you utilize their speed they are going to outpace many of our buffs. And other than charging with a 6+ unit (or if they get charged themselves since there are plenty of much faster things out there), their damage output is poor.

The buff they'll be receiving is most commonly Rage of Khorne from the Bloodsecrator, or with good positioning, Slaughterpriest Blood Blessings. The most important buff they can get though is +1 to hit as the Glaives are the most common weapon they'll have due to the -1 Rend. 

17 hours ago, ledha said:

I used this one against a Idoneth Deepkin during the turn 3, it was glorious. Both army nearly wyped out in one turn. 10/10 would slaughter again

Welcome to the forum champion of Khorne! For now, we will help each other, feel free to ask any questions you might have (Before we end up killing each other, for Khorne Cares Not From Whence The Blood Flows...) 

12 hours ago, shoutenraku said:

Nice victory!

I think your knowledge of the game helps a lot as well, using bloodtithe to deny his light+rerolls to nail the sequitors is huge. In a tournament setting when under pressure, people tend to forget about such details.

Well done ledha! Another victory for the Blood God! I’m pretty sure he’s proud of us :)

Overall, I’m pretty sure of this: 2 units of wrathmingers is a legit hammer team that fits perfectly into almost any list, they’re relatively independent, and their support is amazing. And they’re only 280! 

Exalted Deathbringer is incredible, though I’ve tested skullgouger and I love it. Not reliable, but really funny when you roll 2 sixes... I love his command ability too, basically inspiring presence on steroids... 

one question though for @ledha: What were your thoughts on the Skullreapers? Is 3 units MSU good, or should we go 2 units MSU, or should we go for big blocks of reapers? 

If anyone was curious I believe this is the list that just took 2nd at GothCon, a 30 person, 5 game tournament with some competitive armies. A mixed army! Really cool to see a mixed army of BTs, Blood Warriors and SkullReapers.

Allegiance: Blades of Khorne

- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)

- General

- Trait: Mage Eater  

- Artefact: Sword of Judgement

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)

- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle  

Bloodsecrator (140)

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice

10 x Blood Warriors (200)

- Goreaxe & Gorefist

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

10 x Skullreapers (360)

Gore Pilgrims (140)

Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Pretty much this. Their weapons and Mount attacks are mostly extra attacks to deal a bit of damage. The charge is the main thing alongside their sheer durability. I do agree about one thing tho: Skullcrushers are a huge roadblock, and they're Crazy tough. 9 is ridiculously unwieldy, but 6 is really useful because of how annoying they are. 

HOWEVER, in terms of denying board space, I’d say judgements may do a better job. 

In terms of a charging hammer, what do you guys think is better? 6 Bloodcrushers or 6 Skullcrushers? Skullies are tougher, with more reliable damage, Bloods are more immune to battleshock, can regenerate dudes (if lucky), and are cheaper.

If you were to take 1 unit of 6 juggerknights, then would you take Daemon or mortal?  

7 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

If anyone was curious I believe this is the list that just took 2nd at GothCon, a 30 person, 5 game tournament with some competitive armies. A mixed army! Really cool to see a mixed army of BTs, Blood Warriors and SkullReapers.

Allegiance: Blades of Khorne

- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)

- General

- Trait: Mage Eater  

- Artefact: Sword of Judgement

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)

- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle  

Bloodsecrator (140)

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice

10 x Blood Warriors (200)

- Goreaxe & Gorefist

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

10 x Skullreapers (360)

Gore Pilgrims (140)

Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

This is a really cool list! It’s a good show of how the new battletome has seriously improved our roster over the old one! Admittedly, it’s still gore pilgrims, but I like how varied the list looks. 

Any idea what was the general meta (like DoK or LoN)? 

17 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Pretty much this. Their weapons and Mount attacks are mostly extra attacks to deal a bit of damage. The charge is the main thing alongside their sheer durability. I do agree about one thing tho: Skullcrushers are a huge roadblock, and they're Crazy tough. 9 is ridiculously unwieldy, but 6 is really useful because of how annoying they are. 

HOWEVER, in terms of denying board space, I’d say judgements may do a better job. 

In terms of a charging hammer, what do you guys think is better? 6 Bloodcrushers or 6 Skullcrushers? Skullies are tougher, with more reliable damage, Bloods are more immune to battleshock, can regenerate dudes (if lucky), and are cheaper.

If you were to take 1 unit of 6 juggerknights, then would you take Daemon or mortal?  

Crushers to me are more utilized as an anvil. If you’re running goretide they will be rerolling hits of 1 because they should be on an objective. Outpacing buffs has never been an issue for me as I run two priests. They are easy to keep in bloodsecrator range if you want him to be close enough. Usually I buff other units though, because skullcrushers are good enough unbuffed compared to other units. 

Prayers can be used for board denial...but not nearly as good as crushers. They have to be summoned and disappear each turn. They also don’t capture objectives. 

55 minutes ago, Kaz said:

This is a really cool list! It’s a good show of how the new battletome has seriously improved our roster over the old one! Admittedly, it’s still gore pilgrims, but I like how varied the list looks. 

Any idea what was the general meta (like DoK or LoN)? 

It's funny, it requires 2 command points and some positioning, but it's like a mini Tyrants without paying for the battalion. You can hit twice with Wrath and use your other command point to keep your Unfettered BT outside of 3inches so it strikes first before it'******. Basically you are trading your 3rd BT for 10xSkullreapers. They are slower but more board presence and kill hordes/chaff. Seems like a balanced list. 

On 4/24/2019 at 6:29 AM, Kaz said:

By the War God, that’s a lot. At least Archaon’s one heck of a Tanky boi. What kind of heroes with command abilities do you like to take to synergize with his command ability? 

In this battle my other heroes were Skarbrand, Wrath of Khorne, and Insensate Rage, so no command abilities that could work with his.

Edited by Sleboda

Thanks @Warbossironteef that was the army that took 2nd place i was talking about.

I was looking for this list. Im kinda suprised, not cuz of Thirster + Skull Reapers or that its mostly mortal with Reapers of Vengeance host but the Blood Warriors and Reavers. I did not see that coming. I mean most of us here have agreed for awhile Blood Warriors are actually good now but still surprising to see them now making it into top armies. But Reavers? Ok they are cheap, and they are bodies you can throw at the stuff you dont really want to fight, and i guess x10 of them do some amount of damage? I guess just any 70 point thing that fulfils a requirement is good enuff some times.

Interesting thing about a mostly mortal army with a deamonic war host is all the things you summon get benifit from the host.

Edit: Warriors and Reavers make sense if your running Gore Pilgrims, i guess thats what suprises me. But it is still a great way to fit your whole supporting cast into a single drop.

Edited by ChaosUndivided