AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

28 minutes ago, fwlr said:

In a tyrants of blood list with skarbrand WoK  IR and 2 priests, what's the best battleline? I've asked this many times by now but not had an answer. Flesh hounds, to me, seem like a clear unit to take as 2x5 doggos to hold flanks, take objectives and die for blood tithe. Then there's decent amount of points left to take a big blob, and warthnongers or a bloodsecrator.

Options being:

40 bloodreavers with wrath axe and secrator. Unwieldy, hard to keep wholly within, needs immunity to battleshock, but is s massive body block of models. And cheaper than other options so wrath axe has space. Units could be split down, but then min/max discount isn't got so only 30 guys. However smaller units, while die quicker, are more flexible and give more tithe points (but also ramp up drops pretty quick?

Drop the flesh hounds to reavers, take 20 bloodwarriors with a secrator or wrathmongers (wrathmongers gives another unit to hold objectives and have some good combat, although quite flimsy-not as much as secrator however- but fundamentally less range buff. Could work positioned behind the rows, but easier to use s secrator)  Gives two goreglaives in the unit for some decent killing power, as well as a brick of guys that kill when they die. More the merrier, but this means no1 no dogs, just crappy reavers, no2 no judgements, no3 the WoK needs to drop to an unfettered which is suboptimal as skarbrand needs to reroll hits.

Same as above, but keep dogs and wrath of khorne and drop the warriors to 15. Same philosophy, 5 less of them- easier to get in range of buffs, wrathmongers here probs v good, only 1 goreglaive. Probably better than 20 for the rest of the list (doggos>reavers by a long shot).

30 bloodletters with same as above. 300 points, same as 15 warriors, more unwieldy unit for buffs and terrain, far less staying power, do less upon death, but more killy(with buffs) and are affected by Daemon buffs (leave none alive, rr1s to hit, etc)

If anyone wants to give an idea of some other battleline for these kinds of lists, let's discuss.

Atm the 15 warriors are screaming ant me as the best option. My opinion will probably change when I actually assemble a list and get playing though.

Thoughts?

I don't know how many of us actually have 3 Bloodthirsters right now and either aren't interested in running the list or can't and thus have no ability to comment. 

In general: I find bloodreavers useless in my experience (literally just...the worst. ugh.) 

- Blood Warriors are fine. They're not ultra killy but they can hold up guys for a minute. You can use them as anvils to pin a unit you want to then hit them with the hammer (BT) 

- Flesh Hounds I only JUST got, I've never used them before. IDK what they're like or what they do.

- Bloodletters: same as above for Flesh Hounds. Just got 30, never used them. Looking forward to it. 

My input is limited because I only got daemons literally now, and I've always thought reavers were butt and I've always just sort of defaulted to Blood Warriors but even then I don't *love* them, but they're average/fine. 

41 minutes ago, fwlr said:

In a tyrants of blood list with skarbrand WoK  IR and 2 priests, what's the best battleline? I've asked this many times by now but not had an answer. Flesh hounds, to me, seem like a clear unit to take as 2x5 doggos to hold flanks, take objectives and die for blood tithe. Then there's decent amount of points left to take a big blob, and warthnongers or a bloodsecrator.

Options being:

40 bloodreavers with wrath axe and secrator. Unwieldy, hard to keep wholly within, needs immunity to battleshock, but is s massive body block of models. And cheaper than other options so wrath axe has space. Units could be split down, but then min/max discount isn't got so only 30 guys. However smaller units, while die quicker, are more flexible and give more tithe points (but also ramp up drops pretty quick?

Drop the flesh hounds to reavers, take 20 bloodwarriors with a secrator or wrathmongers (wrathmongers gives another unit to hold objectives and have some good combat, although quite flimsy-not as much as secrator however- but fundamentally less range buff. Could work positioned behind the rows, but easier to use s secrator)  Gives two goreglaives in the unit for some decent killing power, as well as a brick of guys that kill when they die. More the merrier, but this means no1 no dogs, just crappy reavers, no2 no judgements, no3 the WoK needs to drop to an unfettered which is suboptimal as skarbrand needs to reroll hits.

Same as above, but keep dogs and wrath of khorne and drop the warriors to 15. Same philosophy, 5 less of them- easier to get in range of buffs, wrathmongers here probs v good, only 1 goreglaive. Probably better than 20 for the rest of the list (doggos>reavers by a long shot).

30 bloodletters with same as above. 300 points, same as 15 warriors, more unwieldy unit for buffs and terrain, far less staying power, do less upon death, but more killy(with buffs) and are affected by Daemon buffs (leave none alive, rr1s to hit, etc)

If anyone wants to give an idea of some other battleline for these kinds of lists, let's discuss.

Atm the 15 warriors are screaming ant me as the best option. My opinion will probably change when I actually assemble a list and get playing though.

Thoughts?

I cant comment from experience directly as I dont own 3 Bloodthirsters,  but in theory I think the option with dogs WOK and 15 BW is the best bet. However, I would split the BWs into a squad of 10 and 5. That way you have more flexible board prescence for very little loss.

2 hours ago, fwlr said:

In a tyrants of blood list with skarbrand WoK  IR and 2 priests, what's the best battleline? ?

I was also thinking Flesh Hounds, but my drops were pretty  high.

I like Judicator's list here. 3 drops, lots of Battleline wounds and a flying Bloodsecrator! 😂

15 hours ago, Judicator said:

Can i get your guys feed back on this list?  Ive played 3 games with it, beating gut busters and Lon then getting smashed by sylvaneth.

1950 points, 3 drops, 2 battalions, starting command points on turn 1 is 4

Bloodsecrator

(Darkfeast)

40man bloodreavers

10man bloodreavers

10 man blood reavers

Bloodstoker

Slaughterpriest

(Tyrants of blood)

Wok blood thirster

Skarbrand

Insensate rage bloodthirster

Tribe reapers of vengeance

From aquishy giving thermal rider cloak to bloodsecrator for plus 4 movement and fly

Crown artifact allowing wok thirster to let him use command ability for free once per combat phase

Then mandatory reapers artifact on insensate rage thirster

Prayer sacrifice one that gives blood tithe points.

Getting to 5 or six command points turn 2 then getting 3 thirsters stuck in combat spending 2 command points using wok command ability 3 times cuz once was free from Crown allowing all 3 to reroll all failed hits.  Then spending 3 more points for a total of 5 allowing all to fight twice on a row 1 after each other. This leaves 1 command point to spend on whatever seen fit........sometimes making sure 40 man screen avoids battleshock sometimes makingbsure screen moves 16 inch after being whipped to ge5 into position, sometimes rerolling a charge.....

I did 80 plus mortal wounds with it over the course of the game vs death........was simply amazing.  Though ibwas rolling 6s for days.

Anyway just wanted to hear your guys thoughts about the crazy glass cannon ive come up with.  Even if its not top tier.....it's a blast when all the combos work and its total carnage everywhere.  At least you know it makes khorne happy.

Am I hallucinating right now? I could have sworn I read somewhere that if you take Korghos Khul he was required to be the general in The Goretide but I can’t for the life of me actually find that in the book. I’ve read the Allegiance ability page as well as The Goretide page over and over and everything in between. 

Am I going crazy? 

4 hours ago, fwlr said:

Options being:

Thoughts?

I ran that exact set up in tyrants yesterday in a 2k game and I ran 5 Blood Warriors, 5 Flesh hounds and 30 Bloodletters. I used blood lords and gave the Halo of blood to WoK and then gave the +1 rend artefact to IR. I set the Flesh hounds and Blood Warriors up together, charged the Flesh hounds ahead and had blood warriors following behind to block my enemy (took 3 battle rounds for them to be wiped out) 

Oh and turn one of combat IR dealt a total of 32 wounds, 16 on the unit he faced in front of him, and 4 to 3 other units that were within 8" thanks to Outrageous carnage. 

Littel Question:
Whats your opinion on the following:
Chaos Lord on Manticore
-Goretide General Trait (Hew the Foe)
-Sword and Lance
-Gorecleaver on Lance

It requires a Battalion within the Army for the second Artifact beside the Goretide one, but leaves us with a Lord who does 4x 3+/3+ -2 4(8) DMG on the Charge, with 8 DMG on Wound Rolls of 6 and still a nice 3+/3+ -1 3(6) DMG without Charge

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

Littel Question:
Whats your opinion on the following:
Chaos Lord on Manticore
-Goretide General Trait (Hew the Foe)
-Sword and Lance
-Gorecleaver on Lance

It requires a Battalion within the Army for the second Artifact beside the Goretide one, but leaves us with a Lord who does 4x 3+/3+ -2 4(8) DMG on the Charge, with 8 DMG on Wound Rolls of 6 and still a nice 3+/3+ -1 3(6) DMG without Charge

It’s a good option. 30 points cheaper than a BToIR, no degrading profile and a mortal. I’d rather use the flail personally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made a base roster of those models / units:

1 Chaos Lorde on Manticore with Mark of Khorne
1 Skarr Bloodwrath
1 Slaughterpriest
1 Slaughterpriest
2x5 Marauder Horsemen with mark of Khorne
6x5 Blood Warriors with Dual Wielded Axes ( can't afford to change the weapons to Gorefists )
2x5 Skullreapers
4x1 Khorgorath

Don't know wich Tribe to go with yet.

The general idea is pretty easy:
Chaff the enemie's unit as long in battle as possible. Therefore I run groups of 5 BWs. Although they won't have the Gorecleaver, they're EVERYWHERE. Really, the enemy got to split up A, when he is chaffed by several BW units at once. Making them more resiliant. Bring in a Khorgorath for each fight as hammer, let him heal each time and watch the enemy run mad. The BW & Khorgorath Combo should be viable to catch several fights and stay resiliant.

Slaughterpriests can take the healing prayer, as for extending the fight with the Khorgoraths even more.
The Heroes are the hammers, really. So they are gonna "travel" from fight to fight. Skarr always going, where there are the most enemies ( due to model number )

Now comes the fun part:
With their ability, the Horsemen are incredibly manouverable. Their Javeling throwing is just awesome, as they also could retreat from a fight, shoot and charge in again if needed. But really just keep them out of combat. They're cheap and therefore pretty good with 2 wounds each and a decend movement.

The motto of that list would be: Grinding

Gonna see if it works, but I guess it could.

EDIT:

Bring in the Wrath Axe. i forgot to list it.

Edited by Battlefury
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I was reading our prayers last night and realized Resanguination only works on KHORNE HEROES so it can’t be used on things like Mighty Skullcrushers, Blood Crushers or Khorgoraths. 

Yeah I noticed that awhile back too. Might have used it wrong in the past. Luckily I rarely take it. 

13 hours ago, fwlr said:

Thoughts?

I think best demon battleline for those kind of lists is 3x10 dogs or something like that and use them in actual combat. Maybe 2x5 and 1x15 split.

Reasons being:

- dogs can keep up with thirsters

- if a 10-15 dog unit double fights that's a lot of damage. They actually outdamage a thirster by far on everything that's low saves so they fit a complementary role well.

- least support dependent of all battleline for a list that spends 3 slots on killy heroes

- equal amount of points of dogs outdamage letters by almost 1.5 times unless you always keep a bloodsecrator around them. In fact thirster+dog army can probably just drop the bloodsecrator entirely

- a lot of unbinds, gives more freedom in hero slots, probably can exchange WoK for another IR

Warriors without goretide are very slow, don't benefit from demon hosts, don't fit into demon battalions and have same issues as letters that they want bloodsecrator. I think by playing Tyrants you just commit to being a relatively fast glass cannon army so hard that one brick of warriors won't change that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

- if a 10-15 dog unit double fights that's a lot of damage. They actually outdamage a thirster by far on everything that's low saves so they fit a complementary role well.

Unbuffed a unit of 10 dogs double fighting is 21 average damage to a 5+ save model and 26 damage against a 6+ save model. An IR BT averages 21.5 against both with 4 being mortals in an 8" Aoe. Other than that I agree with what you said.

Taking the Dog Squad idea for a run (or walk)

Reapers of Vengeance, Ghur

IR Thirster (General - Mage Eater), Amberglaive

Bloodsecrator, Skullshard Mantle

Slaughterpriest, Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest, Bronzed Flesh

Bloodreavers x10

Murderhost Battalion

Skulltaker

Fleshhounds x10

Fleshhounds x10

Fleshhounds x10

Bloodcrushers x6

Hexgorger Skulls

Wrathaxe

Extra CP

I really like the looks of it. Bloodsecrator could be swapped for Wrathmongers (but leaves a less ideal carrier for Skullshard Mantle) or a third priest with the Bleeding Icon, which is probably the more competitive option. I'd swap the Bloodreavers for something else but there isn't anything we can really take for 70pts that can sit on an objective and/or screen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I was reading our prayers last night and realized Resanguination only works on KHORNE HEROES so it can’t be used on things like Mighty Skullcrushers, Blood Crushers or Khorgoraths. 

Thank you very much!

Well that's actually not tooooo good I guess. Then Killing Frenzy would be the best prayer to go, maybe.

3 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

And guess whose list went in last night for  a tournament tomorrow 🙁. Running 3  Priests with fury/flesh and resanguination. At least it will keep a hero in the game for another round possibly

17 minutes ago, Chocolate Obturator said:

And guess whose list went in last night for  a tournament tomorrow 🙁. Running 3  Priests with fury/flesh and resanguination. At least it will keep a hero in the game for another round possibly

Good luck anyway!

Can someone actually confirm, that I might have gone absolutely crazy, when I say:

Khorne Battletome might actually be a better supplement for Grand Alliance Chaois, then it is on his won.

We could actually take Chaos Marauders instead of Reavers:

For 80 points they are pretty good!
We could technically convert Reavers due to design, but here we go:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-chaos-marauders-en.pdf

10 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Good luck anyway!

Can someone actually confirm, that I might have gone absolutely crazy, when I say:

Khorne Battletome might actually be a better supplement for Grand Alliance Chaois, then it is on his won.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-chaos-marauders-en.pdf

Well I don’t know about Grand alliance chaos but I’ve always been a fan of chaos undivided (slaves to darkness) units. 

Chaos Warriors, Chaos Knights, Chaos Lord on foot, Mount and manticore, Daemon Prince and more. 

They have really sweet models. I’ve been trying to plug the Warqueen and Darkoath Chieftan, Warshrine, Chariots... 

i basically like chaos with Khorne keyword so Beasts of Chaos, Khorne itself, Slaves to Darkness, just anything Chaos I’m down with but I like the flavor and lore of Khorne most. The only other god I could play is Tzeentch. I’m strictly against Nurgle and Slaanesh. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Good luck anyway!

I was thinking in a similar vein, but I do really like the bloodtithe system as of the new book. I am looking to try the following at my FLGS tomorrow. Ill let you guys know how it does. Any suggestions are appreciated of course!

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Chaos - Khorne) [2000pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Skull Altar

+ Leader +

Bloodsecrator [140pts]: 3. Gryph-feather Charm, 6. Violent Urgency, General

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage [280pts]: 3. Amberglaive

Slaughterpriest [100pts]: 5. Killing Frenzy, Hackblade & Wrath-hammer

Slaughterpriest [100pts]: 1. Bronzed Flesh, Hackblade & Wrath-hammer

Slaughterpriest [100pts]: 2. Blood Sacrifice, Hackblade & Wrath-hammer

+ Battleline +

Blood Warriors [100pts]: 5 Blood Warriors, Goreaxe and Gorefist

Bloodreavers [70pts]: 10 Bloodreavers, Reaver Blades

+ Other +

Wrathmongers [140pts]: 5 Wrathmongers

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Brass Despoilers [910pts]: Brass Despoilers, Doombull
. Bestigors: 10 Bestigors, Banner bearers, Brayhorns
. Bullgors: 2x 3 Bullgors, Bullgor Great Axes, Warherd Banner Bearer, Warherd Drummer
. Gors: 10 Gors, Banner bearers, Brayhorns, Gor Blade and Beastshield
. Gors: 10 Gors, Banner bearers, Brayhorns, Gor Blade and Beastshield

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Khorne

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Realm of Origin +

Realm of Origin: Origin: Ghur

+ Malign Sorcery +

Judgements of Khorne [60pts]: Wrath-Axe

+ Realm of Battle +

Realm of Battle

++ Total: [2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

We gotta look at the point cost table. there is written, what we can take as alliant forces. Don't know right now, what it is. Don't have the book at hand right now.

Could anyone have a look please?

As the Warp Lightning canon doesn't only have the Chaos keyword, but the Skaventide thingy keywords, we need to see, if we can actually use it.

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

Well as of the GHB 2018 and FAQ no Skaven units can be allied with Khorne. 

But wouldn't we be allying in from  Grand Alliance Chaos, not from the Skaventide Faction? And Grand Alliances are never listed in the allies section as it isn't a faction?

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Galdenistal said:

But wouldn't we be allying in from  Grand Alliance Chaos, not from the Skaventide Faction? And Grand Alliances are never listed in the allies section as it isn't a faction?

If you are playing Grand Alliance Chaos sure, but not as specifically Khorne.

If you are running as literally Blades of Khorne from the Battletome then no you can’t. Khorne’s list of allies are labeled out.