AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

18 hours ago, Keith said:

Another quick report.

So basically skull cannons are the best thing ever.

39 minutes ago, kahadin said:

I feel lime more of a gunline army every day... Why not ally in some cocatrices while we are at it.

Well, thirsters already shoot so we can have thirster battalion+cannons+mongers "gunline". Thirster battalion will take care about anything melee-related by itself. Letters for filler.

Edited by Smooth criminal

11 hours ago, MOMUS said:

Wrathmongers? 

What are they good for? -absolutely nuffin!

but seriously, then have lots of attack and rend 1, not that hitty as only on 4s, so potential to fluff attacks is real. 1 mortal wound when they die, 5/6s to do d3 mortal wounds depending on opponent.

is it really worth it? Before they had a solid target and use, now they are just fodder. I'm not sure I would use them if it was a garentee d3 each.

People seem to be losing their minds about using this overcosted unit to shepherd around another over costed unit (skull cannon) and then pile on another unit (blood master) just to make the cannon worthwhile.

They are costed as letters pretty much. 280 for 30 wounds that do 40-50 attacks while letters are 300p for same stuff. The trick is that you can position them behind other stuff and fight with their 2" reach.

Or you can pay 140p for a pseudo-bloodsecrator  for those people that always wanted for secrators to stack.

Skull cannon are our longest threating models so that should count for something.

The opportunity cost of mongers+cannons+herald in demon army is very low. You must have several demon heroes anyway  and mongers are second best thing after secrator you can take to boost a letter brick. Cannons fit into most battalions since they are letters themselves.

It's harder for mortal army to include cannons. You need to waste hero slot on herald. I guess you can take mounted chaos lord.

• Like 1

I think killing frenzy is better than reroll 1s, so you could replace the herald with the slaughterpriest you defiantly want in a mortal army. I'm going to try skullcannons here soon and see how it goes.

Maybe I can proxy in dwarfs for my khorne from now on ;_;

edit: Hey maybe if I want to play a cc army I can proxy fyreslayers with my khorne! :D

Edited by kahadin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kahadin said:

What chaff do you think is best to protect our cannons and priests?

Edit: What do you think the wrathmongers do while standing still in the back line? Do they pose? Do they yell at the cannons?

Did we ever talk about Beasts of Chaos Khorne marked with the Brass Despoilers Battalion?
They would gain the Khorne mark, so they could be allied easily.

The point cost for that battalion would be a thing to concider:

1 to 4 heroes in any combination from the following:
Beastlord 90 pts
Doombull 120 pts

3 to 8 units in any combination:
Bestigors 120 pts
Bullgors 160 pts
Gors 80 pts

0 to 8 units in any combination from the following:
Centigors 80 pts
Dragon Ogros 140 pts
Tuskgor Chariot 60 pts

0 to 2 Cygor or Ghorgons in any combination 180 pts /200 pts

What they get is:

"You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made by units
from this battalion while they are wholly within 9" of
another unit from the same battalion. In addition, once
per battle, in your hero phase, you can choose to unleash
this battalion’s bestial rage. If you do so, until your next
hero phase you can re-roll failed wound rolls for attacks
made by units from this battalion while they are wholly
within 9" of another unit from the same battalion
Followers of the Brass Bull: Units from this battalion
gain the KHORNE keyword."

Point Cost for the Battalion: 190

For the ridiculous point effective Bestigors, I'd suggest this is really a thing to concider!
They can run and charge in the same turn. Playing within the Khorne Alliance will not make them ambush units, but tbh, that's ok too. Take Reapers of Vengance and roflstomp with the Bestigors, clean up the more valuable targets with the Skullreapers.

Basically, only a few units do have the "demon" keyword, so it could be a great addition to our Khorne non demon armies.
Gives us Monsters, that do great deals for their points, having shooting ( Cygor), banning 2 spells ( Cygor ) dealing MW to wizards, when spells got banished ( Cygor ). The Ghorgon just instantly vanished a single model within 1", when he fought. Rolling a dice equal or better to the wounds characteristic of that model is fun.

Taking Reapers of Vengeance to do that twice can be pretty rofl stompy.

If I interpret it correct.

1 hour ago, Smooth criminal said:

So basically skull cannons are the best thing ever.

Well, thirsters already shoot so we can have thirster battalion+cannons+mongers "gunline". Thirster battalion will take care about anything melee-related by itself. Letters for filler.

Well they are good ranged support. Can't say they are the best thing ever, but they are good, with Wrathmongers. If you somehow manage to get them in range of Locus of Fury, then they become REALLY GOOD ;) 

But I don't know why some are still down on the new book? Wrathmongers are brilliant support units with a bite, I can't say there is anything wrong with that. On the FB some guys don't believe Skullreapers are good, but the simple fact is that they are.

Khorne is a great army when you factor in the ranged support or go mass Bloodthirsters. Anything in between is good as long as it has some ranged support. Be it from Judgements of Khorne or Slaughterpriests or Skullcannons.

Basically the only thing that is harder to use (but still very good) is Bloodletters. They are worth the 300 for 30, but there are few ways to increase their speed. Thus maing that double combat work out for them can be hard. However if you skip on a Battalion altogether you will suddenly find the room for them and then they are amazing with a dedicated Bloodsecrator.

If people want to see lists or something, I'm open to anything to show some perspectives. 

Edited by Killax
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Killax said:

Well they are good ranged support. Can't say they are the best thing ever, but they are good, with Wrathmongers. If you somehow manage to get them in range of Locus of Fury, then they become REALLY GOOD ;) 

But I don't know why some are still down on the new book? Wrathmongers are brilliant support units with a bite, I can't say there is anything wrong with that. On the FB some guys don't believe Skullreapers are good, but the simple fact is that they are.

Khorne is a great army when you factor in the ranged support or go mass Bloodthirsters. Anything in between is good as long as it has some ranged support. Be it from Judgements of Khorne or Slaughterpriests or Skullcannons.

Basically the only thing that is harder to use (but still very good) is Bloodletters. They are worth the 300 for 30, but there are few ways to increase their speed. Thus maing that double combat work out for them can be hard. However if you skip on a Battalion altogether you will suddenly find the room for them and then they are amazing with a dedicated Bloodsecrator.

If people want to see lists or something, I'm open to anything to show some perspectives. 

I agree with you on all points. Khorne is a combined arms army  now which I fine. There's still units that can blenderize up close. They just co exist with units that can support them mostly from mid-range.

would love to see what kind if lists you've put together. 

• Like 1

here's a list idea.

Exalted db

5x Slaughter priest

2x40 marauders

5x bloodwarriors

5x mongers

3x skull cannons

2000 points

For very little sacrifice you can actually take the throne and gorethunder for rr hits. Maybe more cannons

the 80 marauders can me made fearless by the db. The skullreapers can take on horses and you just shoot the monsters and characters. The blood warriors are just a third battle line, but could camp an objective. I think this list really needs something to camp objectives besides marauders,  probably don't need 5 slaughter priests... I'll probably give it a shot, I might be allowed to proxy the cannons and some priests.

• Like 1

Would love feedback on this list from my fellow Blood God devotees.

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Chaos - Khorne) [2000pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Skull Altar

+ Leader +

Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne [80pts]

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage [280pts]: 3. Amberglaive

+ Artillery +

Skull Cannons [280pts]: 2x Skull Cannon

+ Battleline +

Bloodletters [300pts]: 3x 10 Bloodletters, Hornblower
. Icon Bearer: Bloodsoaked Banner, Gore-drenched Icon

+ Other +

Wrathmongers [140pts]: 5 Wrathmongers

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Gore Pilgrims [820pts]
. Blood Warriors: 2x 5 Blood Warriors, Goreaxe and Gorefist, Goreglaives, Icon Bearer
. Bloodreavers: 10 Bloodreavers, Reaver Blades
. Bloodreavers: 10 Bloodreavers, Reaver Blades
. Bloodsecrator: General
. Slaughterpriest: 5. Killing Frenzy, Hackblade & Wrath-hammer
. Slaughterpriest: 1. Bronzed Flesh, Hackblade & Wrath-hammer

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Khorne

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Realm of Origin +

Realm of Origin: Origin: Ghur

+ Malign Sorcery +

Judgements of Khorne [100pts]: Bleeding Icon, Wrath-Axe

++ Total: [2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Killax said:

Huh I can't really agree with that at all, but I would love to know how you came to that conclusion really.

The way I see it, the double activation is easily there for Daemons, just go for the right host. Likewise I do not agree that buffing got weaker or the range being weaker. If anything we have acces to more buffs thanks to the hosts, the only thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the bubbles. Which isn't hard to do as you can pre-meassure all you want. I guess some need to get it into their system, but as someone who played Warmachine aswell it's an easy step to checking 16" from most of your characters.

Skipping on the buffs is a bad plan in general, as there is a massive reward to playing 2 Slaughterpriests and I wouldn't ever leave without thaking a Bloodsecrator unless I'm playing 3-4 Bloodthirsters who buff themselves.

The setup of those abilities is just way easier and pretty much risk free.

Feeding Frenzy is used after a unit was activated and the range is 12" wholly within a FEC hero or 18" for the general. You activate, pay your point and go again immediately.

Heroes for another Age from the Anvils of the Heldenhammer Stormhost is activated in the hero phase, requires the unit to be  wholly within 9" or 18" if the hero is the general. You pay your point, get an activation for either ranged or melee. Whatever suits the game state.

Khorne got Apoplectic Frenzy,  which required Blood Tithe and therefore cannot be relied upon. It's nice and got cheaper but it happens when it happens. You cannot really plan for that combo.

Then we got Leave None Alive from Reapers of Vengeance, which is strict 8" and only works on daemons. Additionally, you use this ability at the start of combat and it only triggers when the unit gets an activation. There is the chance that you spend your command point and the activation/point is lost (units dying, movement shenanigans...).

Concerning the buffs, it's just over all a lot more difficult due to the wholly within. The short range of many buffs does not help, especially in a melee focused army that has to move (more often than not out of range). I feel a lot of people posting their "combos" here are not considering the dynamic on the table. Something like, buffing Skarbrand with a unit of Wrathmongers is veeeeeeeeeeeerry unlikely to happen. It's not as bad as I made it sound (ignoring the loss of battleshock immunity here) but the ranges of our stuff is often mindbogglingly short compared to other stuff.

About Wrathmongers, as this topic came up and I already thought about it. They are for once aptly priced in my opinion and might actually see play. That being said, they are not really spamable even if they are cheap. They just cannot carry a list and die rather fast but they are a reasonable support unit which can take a fight if necessary. Bloodforged and Skarr are a nice thought and I'd like to see someone play a dedicated list, but it's nothing to write home about, way too constrained for the competitive environment.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Concerning the buffs, it's just over all a lot more difficult due to the wholly within. The short range of many buffs does not help, especially in a melee focused army that has to move (more often than not out of range).

I have found this to be true, but I really think we have units that can stand up on their own now. They just aren't as stellar as the old buffed versions. 

I think the mongers on cannons is doable, I just hate it for fluff reasons. I feel like our non priest buffers are a waste of points for the most part now. 

I think chaff and guns are our future. You can slingshot goretide warriors to sit on an objective or summon demons forward and bunker up at home to keep the big guns firing over verdun

Edited by kahadin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xasz said:

The setup of those abilities is just way easier and pretty much risk free.

Feeding Frenzy is used after a unit was activated and the range is 12" wholly within a FEC hero or 18" for the general. You activate, pay your point and go again immediately.

Heroes for another Age from the Anvils of the Heldenhammer Stormhost is activated in the hero phase, requires the unit to be  wholly within 9" or 18" if the hero is the general. You pay your point, get an activation for either ranged or melee. Whatever suits the game state.

Khorne got Apoplectic Frenzy,  which required Blood Tithe and therefore cannot be relied upon. It's nice and got cheaper but it happens when it happens. You cannot really plan for that combo.

Then we got Leave None Alive from Reapers of Vengeance, which is strict 8" and only works on daemons. Additionally, you use this ability at the start of combat and it only triggers when the unit gets an activation. There is the chance that you spend your command point and the activation/point is lost (units dying, movement shenanigans...).

Concerning the buffs, it's just over all a lot more difficult due to the wholly within. The short range of many buffs does not help, especially in a melee focused army that has to move (more often than not out of range). I feel a lot of people posting their "combos" here are not considering the dynamic on the table. Something like, buffing Skarbrand with a unit of Wrathmongers is veeeeeeeeeeeerry unlikely to happen. It's not as bad as I made it sound (ignoring the loss of battleshock immunity here) but the ranges of our stuff is often mindbogglingly short compared to other stuff.

About Wrathmongers, as this topic came up and I already thought about it. They are for once aptly priced in my opinion and might actually see play. That being said, they are not really spamable even if they are cheap. They just cannot carry a list and die rather fast but they are a reasonable support unit which can take a fight if necessary. Bloodforged and Skarr are a nice thought and I'd like to see someone play a dedicated list, but it's nothing to write home about, way too constrained for the competitive environment.

Good news man I made that list and I aim to test it on my next game. I don’t know when that will be, but it is a list I’m testing 100%

2 minutes ago, Broken Netcode said:

Whats the consensus on chaos chosen? They look like they can really pack a punch but I get the feeling there are other things you can spend your points on.

Too expensive, too slow, die to easily. I don't even like taking them in StD and they actually buff StDs. I think they cost 20 points less than skullreapers and only have -1 rend as an advantage where everything else is worse.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kahadin said:

I think the mongers on cannons is doable, I just hate it for fluff reasons. I feel like our non priest buffers are a waste of points for the most part now. 

I think chaff and guns are our future. You can slingshot goretide warriors to sit on an objective or summon demons forward and bunker up at home to keep the big guns firing over verdun

There is a chance that Khorne will end up as ****** Celestar list with one of the ugliest models out there as artillery.

I actually played a light version of Celestar spam today with only 3, 20 Sequitors across 3 units, 10 Evocators and 5-6 Heroes. So a fairer variant than usual. I won the game but this should be taken with a metric ton of salt. We didn't play regular scenarios (terrain pretty much were objectives at the end of the game, no points over the course of the game) and while I made a couple dump mistake in deployment, my opponent played way to aggressive, left two heroes unprotected (more in a sec).

My list:

Spoiler

- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Aspiring Deathbringer (80)
- General
- Goreaxe and Skullhammer
- Trait: Hew the Foe 
- Artefact: The Skull-helm of Khorne 
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
- 1x Spinecleavers
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
- 1x Spinecleavers
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Slaughterborn (180)

Endless Spells
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

(General idea is, having the two Gorefist units in front, Wrathmongers and heroes behind that while Skullreapers are ready to support the flanks. The double axe unit is there to get sling-shooted if a good chance presents itself.)

I deployed way too defensive, gave the SCE player first turn and he charged into my lines with 10 Evocators. His trumpet guy did like 10 mortal wounds across my heroes around the altar, because I apparently cannot measure distances... Evocators and Celestars killed one unit of Blood Warriors, the Wrathmongers and the better half of one Skullreaper unit. After battleshock only one Evocator was left thanks to the Aspiring Deathbringer. I then sling-shotted the Blood Warriors with dual axes and clipped two of the smaller heroes and 2 Celestars, blocking further damage from them (I managed to kill 2 of them over the course of the game, for 100p they pack a real punch and are surprisingly durable). In a rush of hot dice and cold ones on the other side of the table I killed both heroes and reached 7 Blood Tithe the turn after. This resulted in 20 Bloodletters which made their 9" charge into a small unit of Sequitors near the Celestars (we are still in turn 2 in which I got the double turn as well)... saving the flank while I ran over the 10 man Sequitors and a couple heroes on the other side. Overall it was a super bloody battle, I summoned 35 Bloodletters and made an extra move to deny some stuff. SCE were left with one Hero and a single Celestar. I still had half a unit of Blood Warriors, Bloodsecrator, a Priest, one Skullreaper, 3 Bloodletters and a couple Reavers.

As I said, this was not really a super serious game (weird mission, softer list). If he had played defensively for one or two turns and/or blocked off his heroes, I would have been dumbstered super hard (no matter how hot my dice and cold his were), especially if he had a 4th Celestar. To his defense, he usually plays more aggressive factions and he wanted to capitalize on my deployment mistakes which resulted in 2 of my units dying turn 1 and several wounds on 5 of my heroes. Game was fun though.

Slaughterborne was decent, in my opinion the go to battalion for mortals, failed to summon the axe for 5 turns... which is really unlucky. I still think it's the only reasonable judgement. Having only small heroes was a good choice, never felt crippling when I lost one. They did their job and then donated to my Blood Tithe pool.

Edited by Xasz
  • Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 8:31 PM, Killax said:

I largely agree with you, much of the above is indeed a similar vision ;) 

On the Fleshhounds however I do agree that losing focus is a bit of a downside, at the same time however I think they are still very good and Battleline, which wasn't the case before either. The Bloodstoker and Wrath of Khorne Command Ability indeed are losses to this army, but it's because of this that ranged support feels so important. I do not really feel Slaughterpriests are stuck to the altar. To me it just means that early game there is no risk to them and lategame there might be, but it's worth the effort. They last a lot longer now, also when they randomly roll a 1.

Let us know what your experience with the Blood Throne is, I'm interested in that. To me it seems the Skullmaster is just better, even though he has a lower wound count. To me the impact of him seems more usefull allround. I don't think the Blood Throne is worth the cost, I wish they would have given it a Blood Blessing. 

Now I’ve checked it out a bit, I prefer the blood Throne. Not just for Gorethunder Cohort. I feel it’s hitting power is greater than Bloodmaster and Skullmaster. I also feel it’s got more utility, thanks to the 12 inch range on its command abilities (basically its new rule lets us treat it as the general for purposes of measuring range). Add that to bigger footprint, and I felt that I could spread out my Daemons more. It’s fast too, and can keep up with my Bloodcrusher hammer. It’s also durable enough to tank sniping attempts (Skullmaster should be fine too, but Bloodmaster will get squashed by the sniping tech out there). 

Having larger bubble of locus of fury is also nice. In general, he can play double duty, buffing both close combat units and the skull Cannons following close behind. 

I also like the fact that it’s very independent of artifacts. He honestly does not need any artifacts. Or at least he’s great with almost any artifact you want. 

My overall verdict? For its points, I honestly like it a lot. Also, I’m looking to try a Skullseeker Host, which requires a Blood throne. 

6 hours ago, kahadin said:

I think you can hit the cannons with killing frenzy to hit on 2+. 

I feel lime more of a gunline army every day... Why not ally in some cocatrices while we are at it. 

What chaff do you think is best to protect our cannons and priests?

Edit: What do you think the wrathmongers do while standing still in the back line? Do they pose? Do they yell at the cannons?

I feel like the Wrathmongers Strike heroic poses like the Verminlord Warbrjnger... or maybe they flex on Kharadron Overlords haters? Maybe they do the floss, wrath-flails whipping everywhere? XD

i feel that we’ve become a strong combined arms force, earlier in this thread I tried making a full firepower list, and ended up making a skull Cannon death star that reached their full potential when amongst the enemy, eating them and pooping them out as flaming skulls (I love the skull Cannon models for some reason, maybe it’s my love for motorbikes and Harley Davidsons, especially infernal an hellish corrupted Ghost rider versions)

5 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

They are costed as letters pretty much. 280 for 30 wounds that do 40-50 attacks while letters are 300p for same stuff. The trick is that you can position them behind other stuff and fight with their 2" reach.

Or you can pay 140p for a pseudo-bloodsecrator  for those people that always wanted for secrators to stack.

Skull cannon are our longest threating models so that should count for something.

The opportunity cost of mongers+cannons+herald in demon army is very low. You must have several demon heroes anyway  and mongers are second best thing after secrator you can take to boost a letter brick. Cannons fit into most battalions since they are letters themselves.

It's harder for mortal army to include cannons. You need to waste hero slot on herald. I guess you can take mounted chaos lord.

Wrathmongers wouldn’t really carry your list alone. Tjey’re Just not tanky enough. But they are cheap, and they make great support with 2 inches range and their buff. 

I’ve found Wrathmongers sitting behind blood Warriors makes a great double threat line, nobody wants to attack the buffed warriors, and accidentally drag the healthy Wrathmongers into the fight. 

5 hours ago, kahadin said:

I think killing frenzy is better than reroll 1s, so you could replace the herald with the slaughterpriest you defiantly want in a mortal army. I'm going to try skullcannons here soon and see how it goes.

Maybe I can proxy in dwarfs for my khorne from now on ;_;

edit: Hey maybe if I want to play a cc army I can proxy fyreslayers with my khorne! :D

Personally I’d take both! I’ve rolled too many snake eyes to count! I even rolled 5 ones at one point :P 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you fight in 2 ranks? If you charge, don't you have to come within base to base with at least 1 model to have counted it? How do you put guys out front and then wrathmongers behind without the wrathmongers being in base to base to be safe from being wiped? 

6 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

How do you fight in 2 ranks? If you charge, don't you have to come within base to base with at least 1 model to have counted it? How do you put guys out front and then wrathmongers behind without the wrathmongers being in base to base to be safe from being wiped? 

In terms of defense, you probably already know that if ur Wrathmongers are maybe 2 inches away from the Warriors, your enemies would be within pile in range of the mongers

so for charging? I’ll explain. It’s a similar trick with disc Enlightened and ungors. Firstly, Buff monger charged range, maybe with stoker. Let your warriors charge first. Then, get your mongers to charge. Get ONE (AND ONLY ONE) monger within 1/2 inch of enemy unit. Rest of the mongers, spread them out, 3 inches away from the warriors. 

Now, combat phase. Choose your warriors to attack first. Deal as much damage as possible for them, then let enemy hit back. The enemy can only pile in a few models to attack your mongers, an even if said monger dies, deal mortal wounds on death. The bulk of the damage goes to your Warriors. Some die? No Respite and whack him. 

Now back to you. Pile in all your mongers up to 3 inches (possibly 1 inch), and attack with your 2 inches range. It will actually reach over the Warriors. 

That’s one method I’ve been trying. Reavers die too easily. Blood Warriors are imo excellent for that job thanks to No respire and their surprising durability. 

• Like 3

Thoughts on this mixed list? Taking everyone's comments on board I've included a skull cannon to trail behind the Wrathmongers who support the Skullreapers, along with the Deathbringer & stoker. The Bloodsecrator & Bloodthirster will support the Bloodletters so there are two self sufficient death stars for the opponent to deal with, not to mention 2 x  slaughterpriests and 15 x flesh hounds for support as needed.

I struggled with the best Slaughterhost and could easily have gone any of them really but I think Reapers is the way to go, mainly so the letters or thirster can attack twice.

- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (140)
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater 
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle 
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown 
- Bloodaxe and Wrath Hammer
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
1 x Skull Cannons (140)

Total: 1950 / 2000

Cheers lads, good to see the lists flow!

11 hours ago, Kaz said:

Now I’ve checked it out a bit, I prefer the blood Throne. Not just for Gorethunder Cohort. I feel it’s hitting power is greater than Bloodmaster and Skullmaster. I also feel it’s got more utility, thanks to the 12 inch range on its command abilities (basically its new rule lets us treat it as the general for purposes of measuring range). Add that to bigger footprint, and I felt that I could spread out my Daemons more. It’s fast too, and can keep up with my Bloodcrusher hammer. It’s also durable enough to tank sniping attempts (Skullmaster should be fine too, but Bloodmaster will get squashed by the sniping tech out there). 

Having larger bubble of locus of fury is also nice. In general, he can play double duty, buffing both close combat units and the skull Cannons following close behind. 

I also like the fact that it’s very independent of artifacts. He honestly does not need any artifacts. Or at least he’s great with almost any artifact you want. 

My overall verdict? For its points, I honestly like it a lot. Also, I’m looking to try a Skullseeker Host, which requires a Blood throne. 

I personally don't think the Command Ability effect on it is all to usefull. For the simple reason that I believe most lists will run 5-6 Heroes anyway and due to the bubbles most of them will focus on one to two particular units, thus making quite sure they can be close enough if you want to.
While the footprint is indeed the big advantage it has I still think that if you want to use  a Bloodcrusher hammer a Skullmaster does more. For the simple added impact hits and the full re-rolls to hit he has once he charges. When is there, he's also in range for all the Command Abilities the units want from him ;) 

Typically speaking I think that for Gorthunder you kind of have to include him because you do. I'm personally not that big on Skullseeker host, but then again I feel this way about more Khorne Daemon Battalions. They require inclusions that arn't that amazing by themselves. Personally I feel there are just two units in our book which I don't think are worth the effort, those being the Herald on Blood Throne and units of 20+ Bloodreavers.

Neither Skullmaster or Throne is hard to remove, but having a rather easy to remove model be on such a large base isn't really my thing. Prime reason being that due to not being able to fly it isn't easy for it to pick it's own battles. Likewise when it does, it's impact is rather minimal.  By comparison it's much easier to scoot a Bloodthirster, Skullmaster or even Skulltaker in there. Again though if you have a report where it outpreforms the others, feel free to share. As is to me it looks like a big chunky model without the damage output or manouvreability to get there.

It theoretically supports slighty better as other heroes but the way our lists form is that we have plenty support heroes that can also preform that role.

4 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Thoughts on this mixed list? Taking everyone's comments on board I've included a skull cannon to trail behind the Wrathmongers who support the Skullreapers, along with the Deathbringer & stoker. The Bloodsecrator & Bloodthirster will support the Bloodletters so there are two self sufficient death stars for the opponent to deal with, not to mention 2 x  slaughterpriests and 15 x flesh hounds for support as needed.

I struggled with the best Slaughterhost and could easily have gone any of them really but I think Reapers is the way to go, mainly so the letters or thirster can attack twice.

- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (140)
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater 
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle 
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown 
- Bloodaxe and Wrath Hammer
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
1 x Skull Cannons (140)

Total: 1950 / 2000

It looks really cool to me. Not thaking a Battalion usually allows us to include Bloodletters and a Bloodthirster.

At the same time, one of the conclusions I've also come to is that at this point, thaking 2x 30 Bloodletters might actually be better. Prime reason being that there still are enough support heroes to preform a similar role the Bloodthirster has but you become much more resistant to ranged armies. Which will otherwise point out the Bloodthirster with ease as your unlikely to start the game, due to drops.

Other than that I really like the list. Just consider what it can do with double Bloodletter bombs. At this moment Murderhost feels a little on the expensive side, but adding 2" to charge and run rolls is scary and it's easy to miss how immensely crazy it becomes when two Bloodletter bombs fight again. In the end a simple Bloodmaster can wear the Crown too afterall...

• Thanks 1

I played against a mortal Khorne army this weekend in a tournament that was running Slaughterborn with several units of Wrathmongers. It was pretty cool to see in action and I got some take aways:

1. Slaughterborn is incredibly good. He had a unit of 30 Blood Warriors that was impossible for me to shift, especially when he got the +1 save prayer off. I'd probably not go over 20 in a unit personally due to points cost but it was very effective in battle for the pass. Basically claimed an objective and blocked off half the board.

2. Skullreapers are also very good but I wouldn't count on their mortal wound output to kill armored opponents. Definitely a good pick but keep them out of combat against 3+ save dudes.

3. Wrathmongers were surprisingly killy with their rend and +1 hit on the charge. Charging them into combat kept them in range to buff other units. They're noticeably squisher than Skullreapers (though Skullreapers were in slaughterborn) but still fairly survivable. I'll probably be taking 2 units of 5 min in every Khorne army I run.

For reference I was playing Thricefold Befoulment with a bunch of Putrid Blightkings.

• Like 3

This is the list iv just started to run. Any improvements?

Allegiance: khorne

-Slaughterhost: The bloodlords

Leaders

Exalted greater daemon (580)

- General

-Trait: Slaughter’s Thirst

-Artifact: Halo of blood 

Skarbrand (400)

Wraith of khorne (320)

Artifact- Crimson crown

Slaughterpriest (100)

-Bloodblessing: Bronzed flesh

Slaugherpriest (100)

-Bloodblessing: killing Frenzy 

Battleline 

10 Blood letters (110)

10 Blood letters (110)

10 Blood Reavers (70)

10 Blood Reavers (70)

Battalions

Tyrants Of Blood (140)

Total Points 2000/2000

or I’ll swap out the 2 slaughterpriest and a unit of blood letters for BT of insensate rage and I’ll be at 1970 points

iv been using my battleline to charge in first get to bog down their front line and get as many wounds and bloodtithe points as I can while keeping the bloodthirsters out of range of most things for the first turn. Then the second battle phase skarbrand has total carnage so I’ll get all BT’s in range to shoot and charge into combat. The exalted greater daemon is forced to go first in either players combat phase because of his artifact which will then set of the tyrants of blood. By turn 3 The game is pretty much over. 

My friends armies that I compete against are Fyreslayers, ironjawz, nurgle, seraphon and death. My biggest rivalry is against my friend who plays death and I haven’t used this list against him yet but in all our other games he’s beaten me but it’s only been by a few objective points at the end of turn 5. He’s also known to get his rules wrong (not always by accident ) . As we are planning on starting a firestorm campaign I’m trying to get my list on point and learn their rules to have an advantage.

Other khorne models I have:

Archaon

BT insensate rage

10 Blood letters

2 skull cannons

6 BloodCrushers

korghos Kik/ mighty lord of khorne

skarr bloodwrath

Bloodsecrator

Slaughterpriest

20 Bloodwarriors

3 mighty skull crushers

5 skull reapers

all the judgements 

allso have some slaves to darkness models 

be’lakoir

varangaurd and nurgle stuff I could Allie in

Hey all, curious to know your thoughts on my list with the new tome, hoping to hear from you soon :)

Slaughterhost-reapers of vengeance

heroes:

bloodsecrator-140

general- mage eater

slaughterpriest-100

skullshard mantle

killing frenzy

slaughterpriest-100

bronzed flesh

slaughterpriest-100

blood sacrifice

skarbrand-400

battleline:

30 bloodletters-300

30 bloodletters- 300

5 flesh hounds- 100

Units:

6 mighty skullcrushers- 360

judgements:

wrath axe- 60

bleeding icon- 40

hoping to hear from you all soon

will

Edited by will pollock

Modelling query: As I'm re-modelling my Bloodwarriors to have something to counts-as Gorefists instead of double Axes, I'm juggling two options:

1) Snip one Axe and put a huge dagger there instead (probably from the Bloodreaver sprue)

or

2) Snip one Axe and put a buckler-ish shield there instead (probably scavenge eBay for marauder horsemen shields)

I'm leaning towards option 1 as it's much more convenient. What do you think about a dagger representing a Gorefist though, compared to a buckler? How have you guys dealt with this?

/Bjornas

Edited by Bjornas