AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

11 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Thanks, @Darksteve

I think the key difference is the leeway they've given themselves with the phase "in the same manner as a wizard." That refers us to other rules that let us know it's not a one-shot.

GW uses “the hero phase” and “the combat phase” every time they mean to say “each hero phase”. It’s not a one shot. GW is incredibly consistent with this terminology even if you don’t like the strict grammatical applications of it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luke1705 said:

GW uses “the hero phase” and “the combat phase” every time they mean to say “each hero phase”. It’s not a one shot. GW is incredibly consistent with this terminology even if you don’t like the strict grammatical applications of it

I'll go with that as fact (no reason not to believe you, though I'd be curious to research all instances). Even then, we are still left with the whole "first" thing.

Anyway, it's not my goal to convince anyone of anything. Like I said, I'm just prepping myself for at-the-table conversations with others. 

Thanks all for the lively discussion.

I'd still take some more input on my original question. I've assembled 5 hounds and Karanak so far tonight, with a goal of 5 more and 6 huggers. I'll be up for a while and checking in!

Edited by Sleboda

Thoughts on this (almost) all Daemon List?

All of the daemons fit into the blood host battalion which allows reroll of charges when wholly within 16" of any Bloodthirster. I figure that if you save 2 CP on rerolling charges it has paid for itself and any more then that is a bonus. Granted the Bloodletters and flesh hounds can already reroll charges but im looking at it for those essential charges for the thirsters and blood crushers.

Its 2 drops because of the priest but it seemed a shame not to include one to at least take advantage of the skull altar's rerolls.

Would probably split up one if not both of the flesh hound units as they would still fit into the battalion. 

note: This represents virtually every daemon I own, save for a Bloodmaster & Karanak, so looking for general strategy comments as opposed to list changes but all comments welcome.  

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance

Leaders
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater 
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown 
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle 
Skullmaster, Herald of Khorne (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
3 x Bloodcrushers (140)

Units
1 x Skull Cannons (140)

Battalions
Blood Host (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

12 hours ago, Battlefury said:

What I basically own is massively reliant on non demonic units. For several games I had to lend units.
I have already noticed, that my mortal units are lack lusters, so I would have to buy demons I guess. Buggs me kind of...tbh.

The 3 Thirsters went straight up shred to pieced by deepstriking Ballistas on2 edges of the map and Evocators coming in.
Sequitors came from the front, but I didn't go for those. The Ballistas would be my target for some cheap units like Reavers, at least that was the plan in one of the games. I incrased the "chaffiness" by using Blood Warriors to lock the Ballistas in place, but that spread shot is a party pooper. Rend 2, wtf?!? After they came in, my Thirster where kind of in the middle of the map, as I had begun the game. They couldn't come up with the 10" move and then charge the Evocators. Distance was like 20" at that moment. So he then shot my thirsters, charged them with Evocators and Sequitors. Although I didn't bubble my units up, he just had enough power to wipe like 50% of my units including 2 Thirsters. Those Sequitor Hammers with Rend 1 and 2 Damage are just totally cheese. And then they reroll their hits, because fuc* you, that's why...we can load our weapons.

The lack of real damage made it kind of impossible to straight up take somewhat out, even when buffed properly. I made a lot of A, but he just saves it... .
Stormcast games are a competition called "how many 3s can you roll?". Thats absolutely broing.

It certainly seems like that. Then again, maby try Goretide with Slaughterborn. Scoot up the Warriors and see how long you can last before crashing in there. It certainly seems like it's more equiped to handle ranged armies as the 3-4 Bloodthirsters are. As they are still very much a glass cannon and thus very vunerable to a ranged heavy army. I think even Khorne with a brickload of Skullcannons could give it a bad day for example. 

At the same time blobs of Skullreapers still do amazing work. The list you're facing seems very one dimensional as is. It just sometimes happens. 

10 hours ago, Sleboda said:

It does seem that way, doesn't it? :)

@Killax First off, thank you (and others who are active in the discussion) for all the insights (and for pretty much sticking to the sorts of info I am seeking). A question on Tyrants of Blood. Doesn't 140 points seem a bit excessive to allow one Bloodthirster to fight early once per game seem a bit much? I mean, I get that since it's a battalion you get an extra magic item and manage your drops a bit, but that's true of all battalions. What makes one extra fight that valuable?

Cheers man! As others have mentioned, it's well worth the 140 points because you can continue to activate with your 3-4 Bloodthirsters. We could act like it's 3-8 but since most play 2K and not 4K I'd say doing it with 3 Bloodthirsters is the most common ;) 

What I also really like with the trio of Bloodthirsters is that you can pick one of each and it nicely adds up to 900. A lot of points but well worth the killer missle it is. As above though, watch heavy ranged lists!

1 minute ago, Agent of Chaos said:

All of the daemons fit into the blood host battalion which allows reroll of charges when wholly within 16" of any Bloodthirster. I figure that if you save 2 CP on rerolling charges it has paid for itself and any more then that is a bonus. Granted the Bloodletters and flesh hounds can already reroll charges but im looking at it for those essential charges for the thirsters and blood crushers.

Its 2 drops because of the priest but it seemed a shame not to include one to at least take advantage of the skull altar's rerolls.

Would probably split up one if not both of the flesh hound units as they would still fit into the battalion. 

note: This represents virtually every daemon I own, save for a Bloodmaster & Karanak, so looking for general strategy comments as opposed to list changes but all comments welcome.  

Leaders
- General
Slaughterpriest (100)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
3 x Bloodcrushers (140)

Units
1 x Skull Cannons (140)

Battalions
Blood Host (180)

Well I'd say it looks interesting as a 2-drop. But other than that, I don't know if it's worth the 180 point investment. Starting is great but there isn't a ton of stuff to follow this up with (such as Wrathmonger and Skullcannon combinations or Khorne Judgements). 

Basically I don't know how well Khorne preforms with just 1 Slaughterpriest and 0 Bloodsecrators. The Bloodthirsters are the scary part and it feels like such a small step away from just playing Tyrants of Blood. This will certainly up your drop count but chaining Bloodthirsters is just scarier I believe. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers@Killax

Its def a casual to semi-competitive list with a lot of unknowns on how it might perform. Ill be sure to put up some notes/findings on here once Ive had the chance to run it.

I can definitely see a 3rd thirster and a Tyrants list in the future but before I buy any more I want to understand the new way to play.

What Im struggling with at the moment is coming up with viable mortal/daemon mixed lists like I have in the past as there just doesnt seem to be as much interplay between the two as there was. Hence the above almost all daemon list and the all mortal chaos knight list I posted a few pages back. The wrathmonger/skull cannon combo looks decent but I only have 1 cannon which feels hard to justify the wrathmonger engineers/babysitters when there are so many other things to buff.

Are you looking at mixed lists or going down the mono path?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Louzi said:

Lets say I want to play the goretide with khul. Does he get command ability and artefact although he is named? If not, how stupid to make a secrator general and khul just a normal Hero? That wouldnt be fluffy at all

No he doesn't, which is a bit awkward and you will end up with another general than Khul just to get the goodies...

Edited by Xasz

10 hours ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Does Goretide command trait apply to mounts? Does Secrator and Wrathmongers buff also apply to mounts?

Command traits and artefacts don't apply to mounts.

Everything else does.

15 hours ago, Xasz said:

May I draw your attention to page 73 and that one big ass headline which classifies the next five boxes... it's even within them and the same headline can be found within the Slaughterhost boxes.

I know it's shocking, but they did in fact not make the same mistake twice.

I'm not seeing it.

Daemonic weapons and adorments are artefacts of power that can be given only to demons.

2 out of 4 slaughterhosts reference "first demonic gift".

So, can I give those slaughterhost artefacts to mortals? Can I not take them at all if I don't bring non-character demon heroes and instead take other artefact for mortal hero?

The blood host battalion feels wasted on your models. Letters, dogs already reroll charges which leaves basically thirsters as only ones who can benefit. Maybe consider murderhost?

I'd also give unbind trait to other thirster to spread out the unbinds.

Regarding dogs maybe it's worth it to have 5-15 split and double fight with the big unit while using the small unit and crushers for objective grabs.

Edited by Smooth criminal
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Sleboda said:

It's possible they meant that, I suppose, but that's not how it's worded.

"After a model from this battalion has fight in the combat phase for the first time..."

That is a situation that will only ever occur once in the game. You can't have two 'first times.'

It's not like there are not a dozen other simple ways to write it to mean it works on all of them in each combat phase.

For instance, off the top of my head 

"In each combat phase, after a model has fought, select another model that has not yet fought ..."

Here you get one more,

image.png.551204fab811cb6527f1e1f936efea79.png

That is the 2x attack of FEC allegiance command ability,  written as that you could only use it on same unit once in a game,  and the last phrace is superfluous.

With that example i can show you that when they use the combat phase they mean the actual running phase and not a whole . But i agree a "this combat phase" would be better

1 hour ago, Louzi said:

Lets say I want to play the goretide with khul. Does he get command ability and artefact although he is named? If not, how stupid to make a secrator general and khul just a normal Hero? That wouldnt be fluffy at all

Keep in mind that Khul's warscroll command ability requires him being your general (and has a typo!)

11 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

Command traits and artefacts don't apply to mounts.

Everything else does.

I'm not seeing it.

Daemonic weapons and adorments are artefacts of power that can be given only to demons.

2 out of 4 slaughterhosts reference "first demonic gift".

So, can I give those slaughterhost artefacts to mortals? Can I not take them at all if I don't bring non-character demon heroes and instead take other artefact for mortal hero?

They are still Artifacts due to the headline and yeah you can give them to whatever you like.

The only restriction within Slaughterhosts are the host ability and Command Abilities, as they target only specific units.

This is consistent over all four Slaugtherhosts.

That being said, there is a chance that they lock the artifacts to daemons/mortals through the FAQ but currently they are not. Which I suspect is working as intended, as I don't think that GW wanted to separate daemons and mortals more than they already did.

@Louzi Oh no, I'm saying it's well worth it to use Khul in a Goretide Slaughterhost, you just need to make sure he's your general to use his Warscroll Command Ability (Lord of the Goretide).

The typo I'm referring to is that Lord of the Goretide says you have to use it at the start of the charge phase, but it gives re-roll hits of 1 for that phase only.  And Khorne doesn't fight in the charge phase.  I believe GW copy and pasted the command ability from the Mighty Lord of Khorne (Gorelord), which does work in the charge phase.

7 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Leaders
- General
Slaughterpriest (100)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
3 x Bloodcrushers (140)

Units
1 x Skull Cannons (140)

Battalions
Blood Host (180)

Bloodhost is pretty redundant for what you're taking in it. Bloodletters can re-roll charges with the Bloodsoaked Banner (which you should take in such a big blob), Flesh Hounds natively have re-roll charges as well (I'd also break them down into units of 5). It honestly only affects the Bloodcrushers, both Bloodthirsters, and the Skullmaster. I'd rather take Murderhost instead using the same models and swapping out the Skullmaster for Skulltaker.  You'll get a lot of work out of Unfettered Fury with the increased run distance too.

Had my first game with the new book, using this mainly daemon list -

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage
- General
- Command Trait : Mage Eater 
- Artefact : Armour of Scorn 
Skullmaster, Herald of Khorne
- Artefact : Skullshard Mantle 
Slaughterpriest - bronzed flesh 
Slaughterpriest - killing frenzy 
Bloodsecrator
10 x Blood Warriors
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1 x Goreglaives
6 x Bloodcrushers
10 x Bloodletters
10 x Bloodletters
2 x Skull Cannons
BATTALIONS
Murderhost (160)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Wrath-Axe (60)
Bleeding Icon (40)

Played daughters, and relocation orb. Took first turn and then got double turned. Bloodcrushers never got to charge, and Skull cannons got stuck in combat with monsterathi. Didn't get the benefit of the battalion, and the extra Artefact was a waste as i never made a single 6+ wound save.  The thirster also fought 4 times and i only got one outrageous carnage off.

Still it was a fairly even contest, and we both took a battering. Wanna change the extra Artefact to something useful next time - thoughts are

IR thirster - reroll saves of 1, +1a, crimson soulstone, 4+ fight first, or hitting heros on 2+

Not sure

• Like 1

Last night I tested my Reapers of Vengeance list and WOAH!! I played against Bonesplitterz on Aqshy (no realmscape feature), mission was Gifts from the Heavens.

This is the Bonesplitterz list (I don't remember what his last 120 points were):

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (120)
- General
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wurrgog Prophet (140)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (420)
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (280)
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Chompas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Chompas

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (200)

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3

This is my list:

Leaders
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Skulltaker (120)

Battleline
20 x Bloodletters (220)
20 x Bloodletters (220)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Murderhost (160)

Endless Spells
Wrath-Axe (60)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

Leave None Alive is an absolutely INCREDIBLE command ability! Were you looking for the Bloodletter bomb? Well, here you go! I was doing around 17 mortal wounds in each combat phase with this command ability. Yes, it's not close to how many mortals the Bloodletters did before but let's face it, it was too ridiculous. The trick here is to "fish for 6's" when the Bloodletters are wholly within 16" of the Wrath of Khorne Thirster when he's using Lord of the Blood Hunt. Fishing for 6's means to re-roll any hit roll that is NOT a 6, very simple. The fact you double dip on his command ability with Leave None Alive is just gravy too.

However, Leave None Alive is just stupid, stupid strong on Bloodthirsters. My Wrath of Khorne Thirster swung 16 times in a single combat phase as well, which is just absolutely terrifying to see.

The Insensate Rage Thirster felt like he was better as a summoning choice rather than being in the list. I suspect my opinion on him would change if I gave him a +1 to hit artifact (don't remember the name off the top of my head the one that gives him +1 to hit and +1" range on the Axe), as hitting on 3's and re-rolling 1's is tasty. That base 5 attacks buff though was very noticeable.... he also got to fight twice a few times too, but didn't that many Outrageous Carnages unfortunately. I think the points I spent on him would be better served adding a unit of 6 Bloodcrushers, or making one of the unit of 20 Bloodletters into 30 and bringing a second unit of Flesh Hounds with 100 points floating for maybe command points.

I also really got to see the power of the Wrath Axe, the -1 to hit helped a massive amount against the Arrowboyz since that forces them to hit on 6's and stops their exploding attacks. The amount of mortal wounds it puts out is ridiculous too, and it stayed for two rounds straight, circling around and clipping units is real strong. The unit of 30 still killed both Bloodthirsters and a 20 man unit of Bloodletters (90 shots in the hero and shooting phase, each, is no joke. It's incredibly scary. This was also on a turn when the Wrath Axe disappeared, and then it stuck around), but the summoned Insensate Rage Thirster came with a vengeance and smacked the unit silly.

The extra d3 models fleeing from Reapers of Vengeance came into play too. It finished off a few units and really hurts multi-wound models, it's a nice bonus.

I had Mage Eater go off once on his Prophet and we played it as though the Bloodthirster had 2 unbinds since they were from different sources. The Hexgorger Skulls kept disappearing and weren't relevant in the game as I was double turned at a very crucial point in the game.

I lost on mission because my objective landed on the opposite end of the table which was not where I wanted to go, which is unfortunate.

12 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

Had my first game with the new book, using this mainly daemon list -

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage
- General
- Command Trait : Mage Eater 
- Artefact : Armour of Scorn 
Skullmaster, Herald of Khorne
- Artefact : Skullshard Mantle 
Slaughterpriest - bronzed flesh 
Slaughterpriest - killing frenzy 
Bloodsecrator
10 x Blood Warriors
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1 x Goreglaives
6 x Bloodcrushers
10 x Bloodletters
10 x Bloodletters
2 x Skull Cannons
BATTALIONS
Murderhost (160)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Wrath-Axe (60)
Bleeding Icon (40)

Played daughters, and relocation orb. Took first turn and then got double turned. Bloodcrushers never got to charge, and Skull cannons got stuck in combat with monsterathi. Didn't get the benefit of the battalion, and the extra Artefact was a waste as i never made a single 6+ wound save.  The thirster also fought 4 times and i only got one outrageous carnage off.

Still it was a fairly even contest, and we both took a battering. Wanna change the extra Artefact to something useful next time - thoughts are

IR thirster - reroll saves of 1, +1a, crimson soulstone, 4+ fight first, or hitting heros on 2+

Not sure

Amberglaive +1 hit +1 range from realm of ghur. If your using canons take wrathmongers for the +1 attacks per model. I’m not a fan of blood crushers. I’d take 10 more blood warriors and mash bloodletters into a 30 man blob. And sub your crushers for skull reapers and mongers. Just my two cents. 

So forgive my ignorance and apologies if mentioned earlier in this thread, but does the Outrageous Carnage rule of the Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage  apply to every unmodified wound roll of 6 or is it only once if he rolls any 6's?  For instance I rolled 2 sixes to wound, does each enemy unit within 8" suffer 8 mortal wounds then?  If so, that's amazing!  

Just now, Kaldanesh said:

So forgive my ignorance and apologies if mentioned earlier in this thread, but does the Outrageous Carnage rule of the Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage  apply to every unmodified wound roll of 6 or is it only once if he rolls any 6's?  For instance I rolled 2 sixes to wound, does each enemy unit within 8" suffer 8 mortal wounds then?  If so, that's amazing!  

Correct, it's every unmodified wound roll of 6.