AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Does anyone know if priests can chant 2 spells per turn (like blood boil/bind and one of the chosen ones)?

It seems vague in the rules (nothing on the warscroll about number of prayers) and the only point I can find in the book is about not chanting the same spell twice in a turn...

4 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

I think you may be overthinking it. Or wishing really hard it was 1 in every 5 models? The rule is pretty clear.

Maybe. Not wishing though; it just came up in another topic with a different unit, that’s all. And one in every 5 would be different, of course, that would allow 2 in 10, etc. I still think that if I said, for example, 1 adult for every 10 kids, it wouldn’t be intuitive to think 16 kids required only 1 adult, or that 5 required none.

It also seems strange to me that a unit of 5 can’t take an icon at all, if that’s what the rule intends. It’s still a unit, why wouldn’t it be allowed? I won’t gripe either way, to be honest, just trying to help clarify.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

Did anyone notice a difference between blood fuel praters and the other prayers ?

Blood fueled prayers can cause d3 Mortal wounds to the Priest if you roll a one , but the other prayers only cause 1 Mortal wound if you roll a one.

Is this a change , I cant remeber , I always took d3 MW when I rolled a one , maybe I was doing it wrong before.

So i finally got a game in today with new stuff. I played a GW rep that runs a store. (We didn't play there tho.) 

He ran Blisterskin with Varghulf, Archregent, and Infernal Courtier and i think a King. He had 1x40 Ghouls, 1x3 Flayers 1x6 Flayers, 1x9 Flayers. And the Stampede spell.

I took Goretide. I had Secrator, Exalted D, 2x Priest, and a Stoker. 1x10 Reavers, 2x10 Blood Warriors, 2x5 Reapers, a Warshrine, Slaughterbrute and Slaughterborn battalion. I took all 3 Judgments to try them out. (I made Secrator general and gave him the artifact and put a cleaver on Exalted)

We where playing the Blood and Glory battleplan. Its an objective in each quadrant and the goal is to capture all 4 or most after 5th turn so we didnt keep track of VPs.

He went first and summoned a group of Ghouls on a flank and 3 more Flayers in my backfield. I had deployed in a tight formation with Warriors up front and the Reavers and Reapers in rear with heroes and Warshrine pretty much bubblewrapped in middle with the Brute on right flank. He charged me head-on with a unit of 6 Flayers, 9 Flayers, and 3 Flayers. He left the Ghouls to defend his turf and failed charges for the stuff he summoned and blew his CP getting first 3 things in. Also he ran into a unit of Warriors with the Stampede spell but because my guys where in tight formation he didnt have the room to go any further.

In the first battleround his flayers managed to kill 6 of my 20 Bloodwarriors, take the Brute down by 2 and nearly kill the Exalted and a Priest. He couldn't believe how good Slaughterborn worsten -1 Rend was and the gorefist came in handy. The Warshrine's protection aura actually saved me a bunch of times too. Since both units of Warriors where rerolling 1s to wound for being Goretide and within Secrator range (who didn't need banner planted) i hit him back pretty hard near taking half the Flayers in each unit out. 

things went down hill really fast for the Ghoulies in my first hero phase. First off both Priest rolled 6s on blood boil but only thanks to altar as they both failed first attempt. I failed the wrath axe unfortunately but got both other Judgments off jamming them right into his heroes. One blood boil finished off the group of 6 Flayers so i used a CP to run + charge my 6 remaining Warriors on that flank into his Varghulf and a charged the Flayers in my backfield with Reapers. After another round of combat the Warrior's did more damge with their gorefist than axes to Varghulf but held strong, the 5xReapers took down a Flayer and between the Warriors and Brute i finished off all but 1 Flayer that charged round 1. My opponent was not in good spirits. 

We roll off for turn 2 and he wins and chooses to go first. Well... I had previously failed to dispel the Stampede so i got to move it... Right over his last wounded Flayer dealing 3 wounds on a d3 finishing it off. He called the game right there... He wasn't in a good mood.

Edit: if i hadn't completely wiped all his Flayers his Varghulf and Courtier would have summoned back the whole unit of 9.

Edited by ChaosUndivided
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, Keith said:

Did anyone notice a difference between blood fuel praters and the other prayers ?

Blood fueled prayers can cause d3 Mortal wounds to the Priest if you roll a one , but the other prayers only cause 1 Mortal wound if you roll a one.

Is this a change , I cant remeber , I always took d3 MW when I rolled a one , maybe I was doing it wrong before.

Its a change. Warscroll prayers are d3, blood blessings are 1, judgements are 0

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Yup, Khorne Magic is some amazing Magic.

As steve said, D3 for Bind or Boil on 1, 1 for the Blood Blessings, none for the Endless Spells. 

Slaughterpriests are just amazing :) better as your average wizard.

Are they?

I was listening the the honest war gamer stream yesterday and they also said how good priests are compared to wizards. I’m still not sure they are, I remember having this discussion in this very thread about a 6 months ago and nothing has changed much with the new book.

reliable prayers, most are on a 4+. So that’s 50%, can no longer be improved by killing models in previous turn, no item or trait or unit ability that can improve this, wizards in other armies have the ability to buff themselves and sometimes other casters, not including items

Survivable, 6 wounds, 5+ save, no MW protection, quite squishy, no default access to mystic shield, so if you want bronzed flesh you have to give up something else. Most armies have multiple options of wizards, mounted, armoured, on a monster etc

rerolls, mainly available from one place, free terrain gimmick, the terrain is one piece and wholly within 8, compared to wizards having arcane dotted round the landscape like candy 

Edited by MOMUS
Rules catch
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xasz said:

FTFY

Haha good catch, less rules for the rules god.

I wish the heralds had access to the blessings.

daemon locus or fury ability, reroll hit rolls of 1, wholly within 12, I read this as also including the hero or greater daemon, which kinda makes a few abilities/traits redundant.

i feel like I'm reading the same thing over and over again in this book 're roll hits'

Edited by MOMUS

1 hour ago, MOMUS said:

Are they?

I was listening the the honest war gamer stream yesterday and they also said how good priests are compared to wizards. I’m still not sure they are, I remember having this discussion in this very thread about a 6 months ago and nothing has changed much with the new book.

reliable prayers, most are on a 4+. So that’s 50%, can no longer be improved by killing models in previous turn, no item or trait or unit ability that can improve this, wizards in other armies have the ability to buff themselves and sometimes other casters, not including items

Survivable, 6 wounds, 5+ save, no MW protection, quite squishy, no default access to mystic shield, so if you want bronzed flesh you have to give up something else. Most armies have multiple options of wizards, mounted, armoured, on a monster etc

rerolls, mainly available from two places, free terrain gimmick and gore pilgrims, the terrain is one piece and wholly within 8, compared to wizards having arcane dotted round the landscape like candy, battalion was auto include for a lot of people, doing nothing to dissuade players from this is bad rules design  

Imagine a 100 pts wizard who have access to a reroll to ALL his casting (because of the altar), who have access to two awesome personnel spell that he and others slaughterpriest CAN spam (unlike wizards, like two knight incantor can't both use their personnal spell), whose spells CAN'T be unbinded by the opponent, and who can dispell one spell AND one endless spell WITHOUT having to sacrifice one of his casting for this, AND casting a "endless spell" for FREE.

Edited by ledha
  • Like 6

Struggling to decide between two lists. Same basic composition, subtly different. Also it's quite hard to choose between reapers and bloodlords, so I'll just lable their artifacts and cmd traits in brackets. Both of them would do wonders for the list.

In both:

Tyrants of blood: skarbrand, BToIR w ghyrstrike, WoKBT (reapers cmd ability and relic)/(halo of blood) 1140

2 slaughterpriests, axe 260

Bloodsecrator 140(bloodlords cmd trait)

So this leaves few points for battleline. I'm struggling to decide on a perfect one, but I've got 2 ideas:

1: 40 bloodreavers, 2 sets of 5 flesh hounds 

2: 20 bloodreavers, 2x10 bloodreavers, 5 wrathmongers, skulls/icon as extra 

The first one gives a massive block of bodies that can be used to screen, hold, and are quite killy given +1 to hit if the banner is in. The slaughterpriests can take ignore battleshock too. It also gives 2 flanking units of flesh hounds, 21 attacks in combat, get to deny a spell, are equally as survivable as 10 reavers. 

The second, primarily, gives wrathmongers. These boys will buff skarbrand off his face with the banner too for guaranteed 24 mortal wounds t2. However less bodies so less flanking strength.

Final desicion is between bloods and reapers. I'm erring on the side of bloodlords because of the halo and how fast it makes the secrator. Also, rerolling wounds on the thirsters is golden. But also fight twice. Tough choice.

Thoughts?/feedback?

Edited by fwlr

6 minutes ago, ledha said:

Imagine a 100 pts wizard who have access to a reroll to ALL his casting (because of the altar), who have access to two awesome personnel spell that he and others slaughterpriest CAN spam (unlike wizards, like two knight incantor can't both use their personnal spell), whose spells CAN'T be unbinded by the opponent, and who can dispell one spell AND one endless spell WITHOUT having to sacrifice one of his casting for this, AND casting a "endless spell" for FREE.

I imagine that would be good, unfortunately the rolls are from a poor mans vortex clone, which makes the priest a sitting duck, blessing cant be spammed, prayers can be but only one is still good, blood bind was obviously deemed too tactical, not being able to be unbinded is great (worry about this for the next GHB), dispelling endless spell... Great never see them used, cast judgment... I think they're all worthless.

Hey all, been lurking for a while, thought I'd throw my 2 pence in.  I've been reserving judgement until I got to use the new stuff.  Played 1000 pts last night (our group is still fairly new to AoS), got a very pleasant surprise when I discovered that Mighty Skullcrushers have had their save buffed to 3+.  I've not seen much chat about this, has it escaped largely unnoticed or do people find it's not that great?

I think this is the first game my Slaughterpriest hasn't MW'd himself and he actually managed to Blood Boil a Goregrunta to death, thanks to the altar (proxied by a coke can with a post-it note saying "skull alter")

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MOMUS said:

I imagine that would be good, unfortunately the rolls are from a poor mans vortex clone, which makes the priest a sitting duck, blessing cant be spammed, prayers can be but only one is still good, blood bind was obviously deemed too tactical, not being able to be unbinded is great (worry about this for the next GHB), dispelling endless spell... Great never see them used, cast judgment... I think they're all worthless.

Threat saturation is the name of the game, especially in Khorne.

Priests add aspects to Khorne that no other units do while being rather cheap.

If you don't like them, don't play them but they are one of our better units/heroes.

At least we can agree on the judgement being questionable at best. The most interesting one for me is the axe but it seems unreliable. With altar you have a ~55% chance to summon it, which seems meh. Although the cast attempt is pretty much free as they do not block prayers being cast. (On top of being save from unbinding)

Edited by Xasz

2 minutes ago, Xasz said:

At least we can agree on the judgement being questionable at best. The is the most interesting one for me but it seems unreliable. With altar you it is still barely a 55% chance to summon it. Although the cast attempt is pretty much free as they do not block prayers being cast. (On top of being save from unbinding)

Unreliable indeed, atleast the axe. I played Khorne vs. Khorne a few days ago and we both used the axe. My opponent managed to keep his from disappearing for four rounds (thanks to keeping his priest nearby),  while I only got mine off on the first round and that was it. 

Remember the Hexgorger skulls are 3+ to cast though, I think they'll be our best bet in the long term. 

A few thoughts on my last game. First the Priest are amazing. Much harder to MW yourself to death and twice as likely to cast blood boil without being tied to Gore Pilgrims.

The altar is awesome. You can place it anywhere in your territory, it doesn't have to be 9 away from enemy (AFAIK). This means most timea you can plop it down right in middle of field or smack between your enemies army and an objective.

Between gorefist buff, Goretide buff within 12 of objective, and possibly Slaughterborn battalion, the Blood Warriors feel like a proper anvil for cost.

The Slaughterborn battalion is hell for opponents who's hammers rely on rend.

The Slaughterbrute and Warshrine have both got better. Before i always had a tough time deciding on Brute or 2 Korgoraths. With Korgy point hike its no brainer now. The Warshrine can do Judgments and between its prayer that rerolls all hits and Stokers reroll all wounds it turns Warriors into beast.

My opponent was upset he couldn't interact with Judgments at all but i could unbind, dispell, and move his endless spell!

The Goretide run + charge is awsome for closing in on those pesky heroes in back field.

I slaughtered a 1000 points of units in 1 turn with minimal casualties using only half my forces.

3 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

Remember the Hexgorger skulls are 3+ to cast though, I think they'll be our best bet in the long term. 

I'd rather have a CP than a niche effect that is only relevant when my opponent brings a certain setup.

21 minutes ago, Xasz said:

I'd rather have a CP than a niche effect that is only relevant when my opponent brings a certain setup.

Yeah you may be right, just pointing out that the skulls are atleast somewhat reliable to cast and they have a decent footprint for blocking units aswell, regardless of the effect. 

57 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Priests add aspects to Khorne that no other units do while being rather cheap.

If you don't like them, don't play them but they are one of our better units/heroes.

Agreed, they are cheap and add massive benefits.

What I was arguing was the point put forward that they are better than their wizard counterparts. 

I’m critical of their abilities for sure, but this wouldn’t mean exclusion from a list.

2 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

Not sure about this but does a unit have to be wholly within the bubble of one hero to get the locus reroll or can it be from two? Ie. If a big bloodletter blob was too big for one hero, could two overlapping hero bubbles give the the locus? Did that even make sense to anyone but me?

Methinks that it has to be wholly within the aura of only one character, I think there was an faq that said that we can’t use overlapping auras