AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, ChaosUndivided said:

The way this is worded appears to just make an exception for named characters like Khul who have a slaughterhost on their warscroll already. So basically you can take the guy but if you choose a different host than whats already on his scroll he doesn't get benifits. This does not imply you can pick multiple host from list.

This, makes a lot of sense now, thanks.  

Btw, do you guys think that summoned units get the slaughterhost keyword for your army?

17 minutes ago, Retro said:

I just noticed they cleared up mighty lord and korghos khuls flesh hounds. They count as mounts for all rules purposes.

So no more double attacks with mark of the destroyer!

I actually intend to give him a chance again with the Goretide artifact, although a unit of Wrathmongers or hero like Valkia might be better.

Riptooth also got dispel endless now. I used to run Magore' s Fiends, just for this guy. I kamikaze the fiends for a blood tithe than summon a herald next to riptooth for the rerollable unbinds... Now even more useful.

Edited by ChaosUndivided
I take that back, according to azyr he no longer rerolls unbinds?

5 minutes ago, phizzco said:

mmmm. I personally would be pretty scared to toss her in against a blog that she couldn't kill outright on a charge. The retaliation would be bad for her.

Not sure if we are on the same page, I'm putting her in MY 30 Blood Warriors setup or I'm thinking about it.

Just because she adds something the list would otherwise lack completely. I would lose the MLoK and his command ability but it shouldn't matter that much with a Bloodstoker and Goretide.

Something like this (rough sketch):

Spoiler

Allegiance: Chaos
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Exalted Deathbringer (80)
- Ruinous Axe & Skullgouger
Bloodstoker (80)
- General
- Artefact: Talisman of the Watcher 
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodsecrator (140)
Valkia the Bloody (120)

Battleline
30 x Blood Warriors (520)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 3x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades

Battalions
Slaughterborn (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 154

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Is there any place for any of the slaves to darkness units at the moment or is everything that's khorne bloodbound strictly better? 

I still like warshrine. I plan to continue using Slaughterbrute too but just cuz i love the model. I would consider taking chariots or even CL on Manticore. The brute and chariots make great distractions and can soak up a bunch of arrows while your real force moves in for the kill. This is same reason i lile Karanak a lot, thier presence is so threatening the can cause your opponent to focus too much on them.

2 minutes ago, ChaosUndivided said:

I still like warshrine. I plan to continue using Slaughterbrute too but just cuz i love the model. I would consider taking chariots or even CL on Manticore. The brute and chariots make great distractions and can soak up a bunch of arrows while your real force moves in for the kill. This is same reason i lile Karanak a lot, thier presence is so threatening the can cause your opponent to focus too much on them.

Yeah I've always had an eye on Chaos Warriors and Chaos Knights myself, I wonder if Chaos Warriors with great weapons may be more offensive or beneficial than Blood Warriors? I've never used them and I don't know if Chaos Warriors are good at all. Chaos Knights look cool as a model, but again no experience. I also love Mighty Skullcrushers but they just seem to be in a strange place now? What are they? A hard hammer unit? Didn't they used to be just a tank?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ravinsild said:

Yeah I've always had an eye on Chaos Warriors and Chaos Knights myself, I wonder if Chaos Warriors with great weapons may be more offensive or beneficial than Blood Warriors? I've never used them and I don't know if Chaos Warriors are good at all. Chaos Knights look cool as a model, but again no experience. I also love Mighty Skullcrushers but they just seem to be in a strange place now? What are they? A hard hammer unit? Didn't they used to be just a tank?

Chaos Warriors make better anvils than hammets and for the point cost you're better off with Blood Warriors for the Goretide buffs.

Chaos Knight model aged pretty well and still look cool till you compare them to Palladors then you see the age difference. Knights are really only good in 10+ size units and even still can be dissapointing, i would say Skullcrushers are better hands down but someone might debate that.

And ya Skullcrushers are hammer, pin the unit you want to kill with Reavers but only on edge then charge in with all Skullcrushers.

2 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Hard to get that wholly within 8 of a stoker? Assume you can only have 7 per rank as a 32mm is slightly over an inch. So can you get 4 ranks of 7 plus 2 behind or in front wholly within 8?

You can just deploy the stoker in the middle of the unit at the beginning of the game. You only get to whip the unit once but it works if you're slingshotting them across the board first turn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, phizzco said:

sound like crushers could be the hammer AND the anvil

The only problem is that most of the hammering will be on the charge. I feel like they will be tar pitted quite easily if you choose your target wrong or someone charges them first.

11 minutes ago, Retro said:

The only problem is that most of the hammering will be on the charge. I feel like they will be tar pitted quite easily if you choose your target wrong or someone charges them first.

Which is why I'll be running mine (1x3) as just a bodyguard to my Juggerlord so he  can go around and kill stuff. Should be enough to chew through any medium-sized tarpits. It might even better to assign someone else as general so he can be more free. 🦅

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I wonder if Chaos Warriors with great weapons may be more offensive or beneficial than Blood Warriors?

I think Chaos Warriors really need to rely on their shields to be effective which isn't usable with great weapons.

Also giving them halberds/spears makes for some intimidating pike blocks!

20151210_001024.jpg

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

Which is why I'll be running mine (1x3) as just a bodyguard to my Juggerlord so he  can go around and kill stuff. Should be enough to chew through any medium-sized tarpits. It might even better to assign someone else as general so he can be more free. 🦅

Yeah ideally this is what you're looking to do. Hit them so hard with charge that you can then follow up with something else to finish off the unit and then repeate.

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Chaos Knights are solid, but your list needs to be built to make them better. They always prefer the glaives, and they need hit buffs (killing frenzy, etc.), they also work extremely well with attck buffs due to their 2 damage on the charge which effectively adds 2 damage for every extra attack they get. They definitely like re-rolls for hits and wounds, like Bloodstoker and all that. They are a very strong hammer unit that also has a MW save (unlike our Skullcrushers...), they do good Damage and they aren’t too expensive compared to crushers. However, they do lose out on MWs since our crushers actually can do a lot of MWs now

personally I don’t like Chaos Warriors much. Their damage can be generously described as meh, and while they are amazingly durable, they have re-roll save rolls of 1, they have a MW save, and they have halberds, compared to a Blood Warrior, they don’t have gorefists (which is pretty big). Plus I prefer blood warrior models (they just look more... berserker to me)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I think Chaos Warriors really need to rely on their shields to be effective which isn't usable with great weapons.

Also giving them halberds/spears makes for some intimidating pike blocks!

20151210_001024.jpg

Still looks so much better than the resin halberd... good job! 

6 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Mostly because Skullcrushers and Skarr Bloodwarth are things I already own (other than Garreks Reavers, an Asipiring Deathbringer, and a Bloodstoker).

I would probably be best off long term dropping the Skullcrushers, and using their 180 and the leftover 140 for a Bloodthirster of Instantiate Rage and one of the 40 point Judgements. Assuming my math is right on everything.

Actually that’s a good idea. Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage is 300 I think, and he’s a good independent daemon hero to add to your list. On the other hand, is Garrek’s reavers any good? I’ve yet to try them(I’m gonna buy magore’s Fiends actually) 

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Put a collar on him, and tie him to a post. Then its fine.

Call Karanak... Khorne does not like tying people up... that’s dangerously Slaaneshi O.o 

8 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Still looks so much better than the resin halberd... good job! 

Not mine sadly, I just remember seeing those on the internet. I believe the spears are the chaos knight lances or skullcrushers. Very common conversion back in the heyday of Halberd warriors.

Edited by kenshin620

3 hours ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Riptooth also got dispel endless now. I used to run Magore' s Fiends, just for this guy. I kamikaze the fiends for a blood tithe than summon a herald next to riptooth for the rerollable unbinds... Now even more useful.

Sorta. Rerollable unbinds on Flesh Hounds aren't a thing anymore.