AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Competitively I think you wind up sticking to one or the other, just to exploit as many synergies as possible.  Pretty much every daemon hero looks to help daemon units across all the Chaos gods.  Daemon battleline usually have a "Locus of X" ability that triggers off of having a nearby Daemon hero.  I don't play any of these armies but at a high level, Nurgle tends to have mortal battleline with Daemon heroes (Blightkings and GUOs), Slaanesh doesn't really have mortals outside of marked StD units, and Tzeentch is probably the one that mixes and matches the most.  Tzaangors aren't daemons but are often included with horrors and Lords of Change.  I think people aren't fans of Kairic Acolytes these days but someone more familiar with the army can probably speak to that more.

Edited by relic456

Before people get too salty about our slaughterhosts buffing mortal or daemon. This is in a few books so it’s not just anti Khorne :) . Idoneth Enclaves only buff particular units and some have a really tiny scope. Flesh Eater Courts again their courts are generally just buffing one section of the army. 

Regarding bloodwarriors. 

I don't think the issue is that bloodwarriors are bad, it's more that in the current meta there are a lot of cheaper units that can do the same thing better. 

LoN units like chainrasps and skeles, witch aelves, clan rats etc can have similar durability and attacks for less. 

Plus it seems like the stars have to align to get your blood warriors to their max potential. Wholly within 8 of wrathmongers, 16 of a bloodsecrator and charging with a battalion. 

Relatedly my issue with bloodreavers is they are built and pointed like a trash horde battleline unit, but they are on 32mm bases. Most units similar to reavers are on 25mm making it easier to buff them up and get them all in combat. 

1 minute ago, ChaosUndivided said:

You can definitely have a Skarbrand + mortals list win you fair amount of games. I would give it a go and aim to summon that other BT.

Yeah but then I have to choose either a Daemon-focused Slaughterhost for like 1/3rd of my army and my mortals get nothing or one that focuses on my mortals and does nothing for Skarbrand or the other BT's. 

Just now, HollowHills said:

Regarding bloodwarriors. 

I don't think the issue is that bloodwarriors are bad, it's more that in the current meta there are a lot of cheaper units that can do the same thing better. 

LoN units like chainrasps and skeles, witch aelves, clan rats etc can have similar durability and attacks for less. 

Plus it seems like the stars have to align to get your blood warriors to their max potential. Wholly within 8 of wrathmongers, 16 of a bloodsecrator and charging with a battalion. 

Relatedly my issue with bloodreavers is they are built and pointed like a trash horde battleline unit, but they are on 32mm bases. Most units similar to reavers are on 25mm making it easier to buff them up and get them all in combat. 

Best case scenario we can view the points in the book as a trial period before GH19 is finalized.

1 minute ago, Ravinsild said:

Yeah but then I have to choose either a Daemon-focused Slaughterhost for like 1/3rd of my army and my mortals get nothing or one that focuses on my mortals and does nothing for Skarbrand or the other BT's. 

Thats why i say aim to summon other BT. That way you can devote more points to mortals who can get slaughterhost buffs.

Personally i never build hyper competitive kick your teeth in type lost. IDK about you but around me the AoS community is rather small and if you're playing like that people are far less likely to offer a rematch and before long its gonna be hard to find a game. Its all about winning the game of games 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Thats why i say aim to summon other BT. That way you can devote more points to mortals who can get slaughterhost buffs.

Personally i never build hyper competitive kick your teeth in type lost. IDK about you but around me the AoS community is rather small and if you're playing like that people are far less likely to offer a rematch and before long its gonna be hard to find a game. Its all about winning the game of games 😉

To be fair I don't build hyper competitive kick your teeth in lists either, I was trying to pioneer Bloodsecrator-less and mobile forces and the Skulltake Battalion before this book... I do try to min/max my ideas though. I don't want a poorly thought out or stupid list or one that is sloppy and doesn't at least take some advantage of the things given in the book. I've always liked Skullreapers and Khorgoraths and Blood Warriors, I don't like Bloodletters, Bloodcrushers or the Flesh Hounds. I don't own any and I've never used summoning, just the normal blood tithe table. However I was finally hoping with this book I might have a really good reason to use my favorite Bloodthirster(s) but now I'm still not sure if I could/should? Skulltake Battalion with a headliner like Skarbrand would be awesome, but it sounds overly complicated and fiddly now :/ 

9 hours ago, Kaz said:

I like that horde of bodies you have! That’s a lot of wounds (which is really useful). Personally I’d recommend using those last few points for more Wrathmongers. Skarr is very good, but the Wrathmongers tend to have better punch, and they can give your list more hitting power. 

On the other hand, why the 3 Skullcrushers? Is it for a road block, or as a hammer unit?

Your list is slow, but you flood the board with a ton of wounds that some lists might actually not be able to stop. 

I do think that the Mark of the Slayer artifact would be quite useful here as it buffs all Khorne units, not just Daemons, 

@Bululuis it true you can take a mortal and daemon slaughterhost? If so that would be awesomeeeee

Mostly because Skullcrushers and Skarr Bloodwarth are things I already own (other than Garreks Reavers, an Asipiring Deathbringer, and a Bloodstoker).

I would probably be best off long term dropping the Skullcrushers, and using their 180 and the leftover 140 for a Bloodthirster of Instantiate Rage and one of the 40 point Judgements. Assuming my math is right on everything.

So I asked on reddit: If a blood warrior is wounded 100 times do you make 100 saves or roll saves individually until he is dead. It looks like you roll 100 saves.

Page 7 of the rule pdf states that you allocate damage after all the units attacks are resolved. This may be news to no one, but it seems to make a good case for msu gorefists. 

Is there something I'm missing or a rule I got wrong? Seems like we could run some blood warriors into a death star and deal a good amount of ortal wounds back if this is right.

I might have to dust off my blood warriors then. People around me love making out units for damage. I've got to try to find out if I can weasel some way to reroll saves. The math will probably show that the return damage is not worth the 100 points, but I'll try it anyway.

18 minutes ago, kahadin said:

I might have to dust off my blood warriors then. People around me love making out units for damage. I've got to try to find out if I can weasel some way to reroll saves. The math will probably show that the return damage is not worth the 100 points, but I'll try it anyway.

Allied Chaos Sorcerer Lord.

5 minutes ago, kahadin said:

So I asked on reddit: If a blood warrior is wounded 100 times do you make 100 saves or roll saves individually until he is dead. It looks like you roll 100 saves.

Page 7 of the rule pdf states that you allocate damage after all the units attacks are resolved. This may be news to no one, but it seems to make a good case for msu gorefists. 

Is there something I'm missing or a rule I got wrong? Seems like we could run some blood warriors into a death star and deal a good amount of ortal wounds back if this is right.

You are correct that we dont have to stop rolling armor saves once enough damage goes through to kill the unit.

I have experience with ironsworn that have the same rule and while nice I dont think that msu warriors would reliably do much since it would be harder to a lot of attacks on them and I dont think the damage would be reliably good. For example, 6 flesh eater courts flayers buffed with 3 extra attacks each (42 attacks total) killed my ironsworn unit but took around 4 mortal wounds in return which was nice but 6 flayers would probably have difficulty all getting in range of just 5 bloodwarriors.

• Like 1

That is certainly the main weakness, you can only fit so many models around 5 bases. As the unit gets bigger the investment does too. Makes me feel like they have to be doing more than softening up a unit.

As for the sorcerer I made a slave Wizard when the edition first game out in case I needed one for endless spells. I've never brought him to the table, but he looks thoroughly abused by his Khorne masters. 

Edited by kahadin