AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

While my pure mortal non-Gore Pilgrim army was subpar before the new book and looks to have a slight improvement with the new book, my fears about where the idea of Slaughterpriests would go have proven true. It was a real pandora's box. Instead of focusing on Khorne being the close combat army everyone wants and expects it to be, they've just let loose with crazy decorative items which make slaughterpriests even more of an essential part of the army.

I am a big fan of the new anti-magic tricks we're getting though (I just don't like how they went about it), and I think the prospect of those haven't really been taken into account in the discussions here so far.

3 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

While my pure mortal non-Gore Pilgrim army was subpar before the new book and looks to have a slight improvement with the new book, my fears about where the idea of Slaughterpriests would go have proven true. It was a real pandora's box. Instead of focusing on Khorne being the close combat army everyone wants and expects it to be, they've just let loose with crazy decorative items which make slaughterpriests even more of an essential part of the army.

I am a big fan of the new anti-magic tricks we're getting though (I just don't like how they went about it), and I think the prospect of those haven't really been taken into account in the discussions here so far.

The best part of this version of Khorne is that you want 1-2 Slaughterpriests in every army for sure.

I mean I can't stop smiling about this design.

Whoever thought Khorne needed a Wizard tower and Khorne magic is absolutely having a laugh right now, but I love it xD 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Xasz said:

I'd still like to know the exact wording of Blood Tithe in this book... the wording really can make or break the system and GW doesn't have a very good track of implementing it.

I don’t have the book, but either in this thread or in some review I have heard they are still spent all at once. I expect it to be so. I think building for Blood Tithe is a trap. It’s a welcome bonus for me, nothing more.

It seems like they are forcing these Judgments on us to be competitive. So we have to buy them along with book and terrain. In fact thata exactly what it is,  which i get it, they run a business... But this stuff is like shoehorned in and its a straight up power move on GW part... No finess. Doesn't feel good man.

I just hope that after they sell their quota of alters and "not spells" we can get the book we deserve and our infantry rules is worthy of their fluff.

With that aside it seems like this army is gonna take a lot more thinking and strategy to win games than before. Which it can, and will. I think this is just a hump to get over and down the road this will all get straightend out.

• Like 1

One problem I see is that the Bloodstoker got really nerfed, so he can no longer whip KHORNE units, only KHORNE MORTALS, so he can't whip the Khorgorath or even Bloodthirsters any longer. I can't figure out how to build a cohesive mixed army, or a mostly mortal army with any synergy with a BT other than just shoving it in there by itself as a stand alone thing. 

It would be ideal to build a list with Skarbrand as my centerpiece but since I don't have any other demons (Bloodmaster, Skullmaster, Skulltaker, Blood Throne, etc...) I have no way to buff other demons or any demonic support. I just have hordes of mortals and Skarbrand and an Insensate Rage Bloodthirster. I planned on getting a 3rd bloodthirster at some point. I just don't know what little demons are worth having or using or how to mix them in with the people part of the army. 

9 minutes ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Ya the Stoker not able to whip monsters? Wtf?

The Bloodstoker changes are baffling. He is very hard to use now.  Only usable on Mortals wholly in 8’’ is such a huge nerf to one of the few tools we had to fix our glaring slowness. 

49 minutes ago, Surtur said:

I don’t have the book, but either in this thread or in some review I have heard they are still spent all at once. I expect it to be so. I think building for Blood Tithe is a trap. It’s a welcome bonus for me, nothing more.

It's more about WHEN you can use all of the abilities and what restrictions are in the big box on the top half of the page.

There is potential for a lot of micro-management.

Edited by Xasz

43 minutes ago, Easytyger said:

The Bloodstoker changes are baffling. He is very hard to use now.  Only usable on Mortals wholly in 8’’ is such a huge nerf to one of the few tools we had to fix our glaring slowness. 

He pretty much has to be dedicated to one/two units for the entire game now. Beyond Skulltake batallion, perhaps he's not so useable anymore.

I get that GW wants to move away from auto-include characters, but there were others that should've been dealt with first in this regard. Such as our non-wizard wizards with non-wizard wizard towers. 

Edited by Bjornas

9 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

It also stops you using the reapers command ability to fight twice with each bloodthirster and use the battalion out of sequence fighting as well.

If it wasn’t worded that way and you had the CP you could fight with all 4 bloodthirsters twice before your opponent went. With its wording you fight with 3 in a row first then use Skarbrand last and fight twice with him then pass it back to your opponent who no longer has an army. 

This seems to be one of the best new strats however as bloodthirsters have terrible defence for their points it straight loses to ranged armies. 

I’m actually not sure you can’t do all 8 thirster activations if you have the CP for it (would require 4).

Both abilities are worded to proc immediately after the first fight. Simultaneous sequencing says that the player who chooses the order of 2 things that happen at the same time is the player whose turn it is.

So I could insert a fight twice in between any of the bloodthirster activations because they all happen immediately after (both the second activation for the first thirster and the Battalion’s next thirster activation)

6 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Can you elaborate on why you think they are good? 

Im not an expert and mostly only play mortals. What i see is that Gore Pilgrims was best mortal battalion arguably for the rerollable prayers. It seems Blood Boil can only be used once per turn now? So we got altar and Judgments which pretty much take BBs place as a way to sling mortal wounds into enemy's backfield. The Skull things also make up for the Secrators reduced AoE when fighting magic heavy armies and the Icon thing wich is a bravery bomb as a way to compensate for our loss of battleshock immunity. 

1 hour ago, Xasz said:

I'd still like to know the exact wording of Blood Tithe in this book... the wording really can make or break the system and GW doesn't have a very good track of implementing it.

Unfortunately it works pretty much  the same as the current version. Spend your points for one reward, lose all unspent points. Activate at the beginning of either hero phase for all of the rewards except the spelleater one.

Bell of Lost Souls posted a picture of the new table in one of their previews. Don't know what we're allowed to link here, but if you go a few pages back on their site it was posted March 17th with the title 'AoS: Blood Tithes For The Blood God – New And Old'. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Im not an expert and mostly only play mortals. What i see is that Gore Pilgrims was best mortal battalion arguably for the rerollable prayers. It seems Blood Boil can only be used once per turn now? So we got altar and Judgments which pretty much take BBs place as a way to sling mortal wounds into enemy's backfield. The Skull things also make up for the Secrators reduced AoE when fighting magic heavy armies and the Icon thing wich is a bravery bomb as a way to compensate for our loss of battleshock immunity. 

They are unreliable at best and will probably only be added as afterthought. Considering Khornes rather new reliance on Command Points, it's not unlikely that you rather take the Command Point for the last 50 instead of a judgement that is semi difficult to cast, needs a priest rather near and/or might disappear without doing anything substantial.