Finished up a realmgate

Hey guys,

Finished up a realm gate last night, thought I might share and get feedback.  I like the way it came out, but I am kind of biased...

Went with a bleached  stone effect, but used the Duncan Rhodes video as my guide (my date with Duncan, heh).  The pics are linked from the gallery here.

large.578e4a5735289_Realmgate101.jpg.2e0

large.578e4a61d9ba0_Realmgate103.jpg.bec 

Thanks all, see ya soon! 

Only the faithful! (and chosen other friends/family etc...)

Very nice!

@Ansuz, I remember the Duncan Rhodes video PhantomPhixer mentions having a fairly detailed step-by-step guide to creating the glow effect. One of the first GW painting videos I watched and honestly made it seem very achievable!

7 hours ago, Ansuz said:

I really like the green glow effect on the stone. How did you do it?

As @Tommy said, it's just the waywatcher green paint from GW applied in layers.  The technique is from the GW video series that Duncan does on the GW YouTube channel.  Dead simple really, just don't put any layer on too heavily.

v/r

Bill

11 minutes ago, Dangermouse425 said:

You definitely should, they're fantastic kits and look great on the table.

I have a Garden of Morr, a Citadel Wood and I have the old Ruined Mage Tower too. I do love their scenery it is fantastic :D

My idea for my board is having a small corner with my Wood in, rich in life, couple of Dryads in their. Then the board will have all my Nurgle and Skaven with the scenery turning all rotten and infested from a Realmgate. Just hope it will look as fantastic as @PhantomPhixer :D

Looks great!  The glow effect is subtle and doesn't pull away from the rest of the terrain, great job.

If you're looking for some constructive comments then I would say that you could do with adding some of the glow to the stone under the gate where the 'flames' come down.  The same with the side of the steps too.

3 hours ago, Changer said:

Looks great!  The glow effect is subtle and doesn't pull away from the rest of the terrain, great job.

If you're looking for some constructive comments then I would say that you could do with adding some of the glow to the stone under the gate where the 'flames' come down.  The same with the side of the steps too.

As I look now, it is true, the highlight need to extend further around...  to carry the whole effect!!  Thanks!!

Archived