AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

21 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I would like to start to invest in some units before the update and the Ogor frenzy is a fact. What units would be "safe bets" 😊 My biggest hope is that BCR and Gutbusters get merged.

Safest of the safe

- ogor bulls, ironguts, leadbelchers, scrap launcher/sky cannon kit

Safe, but unsure how they will interact

- beastclaw raider start collecting. If they merge will be even better value!

Unsure, buy if you like the sculpt

- maneaters, firebelly, butchers, ice brow hunter,  tyrant. Likely to stick around, but would collect these last/ only if you like the sculpt.

Avoid

- Gorgers, Yeti, sabercats. Pretty universally disliked sculpts with next to no mention in the limited lore. Wait to collect these until after a book confirms them.

First wildcard is the gnoblars/grots. Not a bad plastic kit with a few bad poses but lots of character. Yet, absent from that video tease or mention. Gut feeling says they're fine as they got put on bases in the reboxed bulls, but stick to the safe bets if you want certainty. We dont know their role yet.

Second wildcard is the gargent. Also has no home, and could fit asethetically into the mawtribes nicely. Personally like the idea of subdued giants as a nod to old ogre lore with the sky titans. Bigger and stronger then ogres, but beaten into submission. Their models not going anywhere, but unsure of where they will end up. But ogres is a potential home for them.

Personal recommendation, look to see if you can find an old ogre kingdoms battlion box. 16 ogors inside, usually for a good discount, that you can build in a variety of ways! Just need to buy the round bases.

Stick to the plastic troops and you can have most of your guys built up for when the book rolls around in the next couple of months! Then it's just the toys and potential new additions before your ready to rumble!

BCR is heavily expected to also join onto the book, but collect responsibly. As we dont know with 100% certainty if theyre remaining their own thing. But track record and orruks suggests it.

That's my guide anyways, and how I'm planning to collect and prepare. But I'm just some dude on the internet, so mileage may vary haha.

• LOVE IT! 2

49 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I would like to start to invest in some units before the update and the Ogor frenzy is a fact. What units would be "safe bets" 😊 My biggest hope is that BCR and Gutbusters get merged.

Personally I am going to get the remaining man-eaters from gw just incase they get squashed and wait for the third party discount when the ironguts and leadbelchers get a re-box.

Edited by Soolong

2 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Safest of the safe

- ogor bulls, ironguts, leadbelchers, scrap launcher/sky cannon kit

Safe, but unsure how they will interact

- beastclaw raider start collecting. If they merge will be even better value!

Unsure, buy if you like the sculpt

- maneaters, firebelly, butchers, ice brow hunter,  tyrant. Likely to stick around, but would collect these last/ only if you like the sculpt.

Avoid

- Gorgers, Yeti, sabercats. Pretty universally disliked sculpts with next to no mention in the limited lore. Wait to collect these until after a book confirms them.

First wildcard is the gnoblars/grots. Not a bad plastic kit with a few bad poses but lots of character. Yet, absent from that video tease or mention. Gut feeling says they're fine as they got put on bases in the reboxed bulls, but stick to the safe bets if you want certainty. We dont know their role yet.

Second wildcard is the gargent. Also has no home, and could fit asethetically into the mawtribes nicely. Personally like the idea of subdued giants as a nod to old ogre lore with the sky titans. Bigger and stronger then ogres, but beaten into submission. Their models not going anywhere, but unsure of where they will end up. But ogres is a potential home for them.

Personal recommendation, look to see if you can find an old ogre kingdoms battlion box. 16 ogors inside, usually for a good discount, that you can build in a variety of ways! Just need to buy the round bases.

Stick to the plastic troops and you can have most of your guys built up for when the book rolls around in the next couple of months! Then it's just the toys and potential new additions before your ready to rumble!

BCR is heavily expected to also join onto the book, but collect responsibly. As we dont know with 100% certainty if theyre remaining their own thing. But track record and orruks suggests it.

That's my guide anyways, and how I'm planning to collect and prepare. But I'm just some dude on the internet, so mileage may vary haha.

Wow. Thanks a bunch 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Do we know any date for the new release? If not, what would you guess? 

For my wallet's sake, i hope not to soon! 

None.

Maybe  a month or two? Perhaps a bit longer? Based on previous releases, we dont even have the book confirmed yet. Just teased.

2 hours ago, Amradiel said:

I believe that any plastic model/unit will remain in the future book.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Is there anyone here that plays Gutbusters at a 1000p? 

Are they totally worthless or is there a way to make them viable today? 

Please share your xp! 

They're actually very good at 1000p! Most other armies aren't strong enough without the other 1000 points for synergy.

I use:

Ghyrstrike/Wild Fury Tyrant

12 Ogors

3 Ogors

3 Ogors

20 Grots

20 Grots

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Please share your xp! 

I love 1 and 1,5k games. One of the good things is that we don’t rely on synergies. If I play my Skaven for example. They get a lot better if I can get enough support heroes in. That’s a lot easier at 2K. We on the other hand don’t suffer from that as we have relatively little synergies anyway. 

Most things still work at lower points games. But I find the weaknesses also hit you harder. So bring a 12 bull squad and whip them with your tyrant and they usually can clean one have of the board. Give your tyrant the ghyrstrike combo and some ironguts or Maneaters for support and if you often face alpha strikers bring 2 min gnoblars squads for screening and bodies for objectives. 

Personally I don’t find butchers worth it in smaller games. Still bring it often because i like the model and the theme. But it’s rarely worth it. Also curious how 2x12 bulls + 1 tyrant that you hide after the spanking plays. 

6 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Please share your xp! 

My experience is, these days, gutbuster is a frustrating army to play. Our effective builds are limited and we suffer from out of date warscrolls. They are great fun when matched against armies of similar "tier", however I struggle against more modern armies.  My fat boys have been shelved for many months. Just my two bits!

I look forward to a battletome. I've very much missed painting ogor models. Very easy to paint, have great character, and the majority of the kits/bits are very interchangeable.  

6 hours ago, MKsmash said:

They're actually very good at 1000p! Most other armies aren't strong enough without the other 1000 points for synergy.

I use:

Ghyrstrike/Wild Fury Tyrant

12 Ogors

3 Ogors

3 Ogors

20 Grots

20 Grots

Nice. What armies do you usually face? You play this regularly? 

You use the grots as screen? 

Just find it interesting how one guy says that they are good, and another bad 🤣 I do not need top tier, but a Good 1k army. 

Edited by Kimbo

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Just find it interesting how one guy says that they are good, and another bad 🤣 I do not need top tier, but a Good 1k army. 

Never forget that fact when reading ‘conclusions’ about the strength of armies and lists. It’s all subjective. Both experiences are probably true but are no prophecy of your experience. If you play manly a very netlisty Skaven played by a very good player your going to have a very different experience than against a Dispossessed list run by someone who is new to the game. The one will destroy you with mortal wounds, against the other you can definitely win on objectives (if not by tabling them)

Add to that the limits of your collection, wether or not you play the scenarios*, your own expectations of what is a good and fun game, etc.

But again for personally I still like playing Guts, and do find winning easier in 1K games  

*please do, otherwise the game falls rapidly apart in my opinion

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Never forget that fact when reading ‘conclusions’ about the strength of armies and lists. It’s all subjective. Both experiences are probably true but are no prophecy of your experience. If you play manly a very netlisty Skaven played by a very good player your going to have a very different experience than against a Dispossessed list run by someone who is new to the game. The one will destroy you with mortal wounds, against the other you can definitely win on objectives (if not by tabling them)

Add to that the limits of your collection, wether or not you play the scenarios*, your own expectations of what is a good and fun game, etc.

But again for personally I still like playing Guts, and do find winning easier in 1K games  

*please do, otherwise the game falls rapidly apart in my opinion

That is exactly why i asked what armies you play against and how often you play 1k since that will greatly effect how valid the opinion is. 

Someone with less  to no experience saying they suck is worthless info for example! 

I totally get what you are saying 😊

Edited by Kimbo
  • Like 1

Have the chance to buy 

18 Bulls

7 Leadbelchers

12 Ironguts

20 Grots

1 Ironblaster

Is that a good starting point? I dont see Leadbelchers or Ironguts that often.

And what weapons works best for the Bulls?

Edited by Amradiel

5 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Have the chance to buy 

18 Bulls

7 Leadbelchers

12 Ironguts

20 Grots

1 Ironblaster

Bulls are great, you'll use that many later on. Leadbelchers kinda suck unless you have a LOT of them, in which case it's too expensive points-wise. 12 Ironguts is very good.  20 Grots is okay, I would try to get another 20 or 40 more. Ironblaster is pretty meh, though not bad if you have 2 or 3.

The best for the bulls is definitely the 2 Clubs and Swords. 6 Save Mortals just isn't reliable.

This is a pretty good starting point, just get a tyrant once you can.

Have the chance to buy 

18 Bulls

7 Leadbelchers

12 Ironguts

20 Grots

1 Ironblaster

Keeping in mind that everything may chance if/when a battletome comes out...

Currently, I'd say that's a great place to start for 1,000 points.  You'd still need the heroes,  and it's probably way more Ironguts than you'll use  (maybe even more than you'd use in 2k, but that's preference).  You may also get aggravated with the odd number of Leadbelchers, as the units come in 3's, but.... still fine IMO.  From here, I'd recommend getting a Tyrant (or converting an Irongut into one), and then a butcher.

For bulls, you'll want to run one unit of 12 to get that points reduction (which really do make them point efficient).  Then the rest either as 2unitsof3 if you're playing Grand Alliance: Destruction,  or you can group them into a single unit if you're playing Gutbusters faction.   For the large unit, it'll act as a kill unit, so you'll want the double weapons.   Smaller units of Bulls typically don't have that much kill power so I like to treat them as hurdles -- where Ironfists can do a lot of reflect damage (assuming the opponent does not have rend).

Try to make sure that the Bulls and Ironguts come with bannermen though.  I've found the banners really help defend against shooting (bulls) and magic (ironguts).

8 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Nice. What armies do you usually face? You play this regularly? 

You use the grots as screen? 

I face a lot of Skaven and Legions of Nagash. I also fight Khorne regularly and the wood-themed Order armies (Sylvaneth, Wanderers, Wood Elves).

I normally play 2k, but this is based on a 1250 point list I have. It works very well in 1k, as most Gutbusters lists do. 

I use Grots as screens, but I also use them for objective holding against teleporting armies. Take a unit of 60, deploy right on an objective at the start, and they'll just avoid it.

They are a good 1k army, but not a good 1.1 k army and above ;)

Edited by MKsmash

4 minutes ago, ryanguy88 said:

Try to make sure that the Bulls and Ironguts come with bannermen though.  I've found the banners really help defend against shooting (bulls) and magic (ironguts).

Sorry for the double post but i gotta respond to em all 😅

Good point that's not made enough. The banners help a LOT, especially for the Bulls.

Have the chance to buy 

18 Bulls

7 Leadbelchers

12 Ironguts

20 Grots

1 Ironblaster

12 ironguts are a bit much but I always take at least 6. I personally  don’t like 3 leadbelchers enough to bring them. But taking 6 might work better. 18 ogor bulls are amazing of course and the iron blaster is just fun. 

So I would say great deal. But see if the seller still has the sprues. That way you could easily change leadbelchers to bulls. You have a body to many there anyway so you could use that to convert your own tyrant. 

Im voting double weapons for the ogors all the way. (But if a Battletome  comes and actually makes the ironfist improve save values than that would change things. )

Bought 12 Bulls, 12 Ironguts, 7 Leadbelchers and 24 Grots. All Bulls had Ironfists so I will try to change arms... But the lot was so cheap that it was worth it anyway. I basically got the Leadbelchers Bulls and Grots for free 😊

Edited by Amradiel
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Bought 12 Bulls, 12 Ironguts, 7 Leadbelchers and 24 Grots. All Bulls had Ironfists so I will try to change arms... But the lot was so cheap that it was worth it anyway. I basically got the Leadbelchers Bulls and Grots for free 😊

Hold off on the replacing of the Ironfists, since they may end up being valuable in the new book.

• Like 1

Hello!

I'm practicing for a tournament and won a game today with allmighty gutbusters. Here are the lists: 

Allegiance: Soulblight
- Bloodline: Necromantic
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Mist Form
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Prince Vhordrai (480)
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Neferata Mortarch of Blood (380)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
5 x Blood Knights (200)
3 x Vargheists (150)
3 x Vargheists (150)
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
- Allies
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
- Allies

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 150 / 400
Wounds: 94
----------------------------------------------
Allegiance: Gutbusters
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Great Gutgouger
- Trait: Might is Right
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Butcher (140)
- Pair of Stump Blades and Great Cauldron
Butcher (140)
- Pair of Stump Blades and Great Cauldron

Battleline
12 x Ogors (400)
- Pairs of Ogor Clubs or Blades
3 x Ironguts (180)
3 x Ironguts (180)
3 x Ironguts (180)
3 x Ironguts (180)
3 x Leadbelchers (140)
3 x Leadbelchers (140)

Units
20 x Grots (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 162

Scenario was duality of death

Game ended in my favor 11-3, but all units were wiped.

received_486263425507678.jpeg

received_471837083637979.jpeg

received_2359200644301139.jpeg

received_433632700695624.jpeg

received_3452829088076617.jpeg

received_2348687855368936.jpeg

received_467047324089152.jpeg

received_658495667989291.jpeg

Edited by walheim
Wrong scenario written
  • LOVE IT! 1