AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, DestructionFranz said:

I think the one of DoK , to be 2 years old, is by far the  wrongest book in history. 

I think they were in a strong hangover when they wrote that book. Even with the point increase is still one of the strongest army if not the strongest.   

just saying, for healthy games and better longevity for your army, you probably don't want your army tome to be on that level of disgustingness. maybe around where Fyreslayer or Slaanesh is (granted those two armies also have some out of wack stuff in their books but not to the same degree as FeC, DoK, or Skaven)

• Like 1

On a different note. Have people already tried meeting engagements with gutbusters?  I have a feeling we could be punching above our weight (metaphorically of course) in that mode. 

Every movement 6 on a small table. Even our min squads have pretty good damage output and even 3 ogors are 12 wounds to chew through. Ironguts with their 4+ save and increased damage might suddenly be worth the extra points. And the ghyrstrike tyrant is already in absolute beast for 160 pts but folds quite quickly. Now due to the waves it might be harder for our opponents to set those synergies up. 

I’m thinking about:

Spearhead: 3 ironguts 180 pts

main: ghyrstrike tyrant 160, 6 ogors 240, 20 gnoblars 100

rear: 3 Maneaters 200

leaving 120pts open. 

Things I’m considering but really need to play some games to see how it works out are: 

- 20 gnoblars for extra objective capturing bodies 

- 3 ogors but where to place them? 

- iron blaster? It’s in range upon set up. 

- or two sabres in the spear head and 4 in rearguard for some extra speed? It would mean going destruction but by splitting the 6 ogors you maintain 2 battleline. 

On a separate note I’m also curious if yhetees are a good choice. The ability to place them out of 3” but still pile in makes us strike first in two places. Which is potentially very powerful. 

5 hours ago, novakai said:

unlike the blade that was shown a few weeks, this one not strongly relates to ogors I feel. It could go the other way and be stuff for Chaos or death.

also would Ogors like eat the head and spit out the crown

Maybe they just haven't been eaten yet?

Edited by MKsmash

I feel like the hooks are pretty strongly Ogor themed.   They show up on other models in similar fashion:  Bragg the Gutsman,  the Butcher, Stonehorn Beastriders, etc.. 

Also, there are examples of things not being eaten right away (grots from base Ogor pack.)

However, the fact that both heads are wearing crowns makes it look like we're looking at a king slayer.  And I don't think Ogors have (previously) ever thought royalty tasted any differently.  But maybe some model thinks it tastes richer?  Maneaters have been known to seek out special names.  Maybe one likes the name "king slayer".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Someone2 said:

If you guys were to choose between a Ironblaster and Scraplauncher with a pure Ogor army without magic. What would be the best choice? I know it isn't good but I just really want 1 of them :)

I would go with the Ironblaster. You can still make some good lists with a few of them.

1 hour ago, Lethargicadversary said:

Scrag the slaughterer was metal, he was part of the original WHFB release, If i remember right.

Weird, I picked one up second hand and didn't even think about it being all metal, down to the base. 

So I'm after some advice with gutbusters. I am expanding on my meagre BCR force with various destruction stuff (such as bonegrinder gargant and some green menaces) and want to add in some gutbusters for extra flavour, maybe even go towards a full on mixed destruction army. 

So what are the go to choices for gutbusters? What are the preferred leader and units, what are the best load outs and what are the optimum unit sizes for the various gutbuster options?

Thanks in advance for the help. 

11 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

So I'm after some advice with gutbusters. I am expanding on my meagre BCR force with various destruction stuff (such as bonegrinder gargant and some green menaces) and want to add in some gutbusters for extra flavour, maybe even go towards a full on mixed destruction army. 

So what are the go to choices for gutbusters? What are the preferred leader and units, what are the best load outs and what are the optimum unit sizes for the various gutbuster options?

Rank and file are the ogor bulls  generally taken in groups of twelve and they are the workhorse of the army. Decent hitting power but it's their durability that makes them work. Iron guts are expensive but are a good deal more killy then the rank and file.

Grots are the weedy chaff. Useful for the bodies, but don't expect them to do much beyond buying the big boys time to close in.

Tyrant is the go to HQ. Usually I see him run with a great gut gouge and ghyr strike, which basically turns him into a missile who will swing over your lines with reach. Command ability let's him sock a unit and make them battle shock immune for a few mortal wounds. Works great on the grots, who become exceptionally more annoying to clear off when they arnt running on mass.

Butchers are your support with a random buff you roll for on a D6. Taking wounds on 1. Really you're taking a few of these guys and fishing for a stackable +1 to hit rolls to make our guys a bit more accurate.

About all I know! Hopefully someone else has a bit more relevant info. Gutbusters unfortunately are pretty shallow rules wise!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Ogors: Great unit, take a unit of 12 and it will kill and will not be killed. Must-use.

Tyrant: With the right equipment is deadly in melee combat. Must-use.

Grots: Great for bodies, take a unit of 60 and drop on an objective. Must-use.

Butcher: Wizard, slightly overpriced. Mediocre.

Ironguts: Overpriced, but more deadly in melee.

Ironblaster and Scraplauncher: Cheap artillery. For the most part, not very useful.

Gorger: Cheap behind-the-lines hero killer.

14 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Just on the Games Workshop store page, both units are found in the gutbusters section 

As it stands currently you still have the ally the buggers in to gutbusters. Hopefully its a sign of things to come. A maneaters plastic kit would be a dream even if its just for 3 elite, customisable blade and pistol ogres without all the costume closet options.

• Like 2

One of the models in the Iron Golems warband in the WarCry release is called an "Ogor Breacher" (The big guy with metal balls for hands). I was overly excited to see that. I know it's relatively small and insignificant, but when you're a long time gutbuster player, any ogor news is exciting. Haha.

• Haha 3