AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@ryanguy88 Yeah I totally get where you are coming from and cheers for the advice, it's very much appreciated.

My first ever army was Skaven in 3rd and 4th edition WFB and I never recovered from having to paint so many damn rats, so big numbers of models kills me inside haha. Hence me picking up ogres in 6th. I guess I just need to get a few games under my belt and see how I get on, and take things from there.  I'm not overly fussed with being hyper competative anyway.

Here's hoping there is some gutbuster love round the corner from GW.

Edited by Garion
adding an @
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sovereign said:

Anyone have any interesting alternatives for Tyrants and Butchers? Avatars of War has models that would make cool Tyrants, but I'm having a hard time finding a suitable Butcher.

I really don't want to deal with finecast. :(

I never like the butcher model for ogre kingdoms so I just made my own kit bashing from the standard ogre sprue. I'll upload some photos later it may give you some inspiration.

Edit: here you go, just an ogor with a cleaver , and fair bit of greenstuff. I have another 1 as well, made in much the same way, only with bigger ****** and some hair taken from the giant kit. large.butcher.jpg.314cbc50639e87351f490af0cc118e85.jpg

Edited by Garion

7 hours ago, Garion said:

I never like the butcher model for ogre kingdoms so I just made my own kit bashing from the standard ogre sprue. I'll upload some photos later it may give you some inspiration.

Edit: here you go, just an ogor with a cleaver , and fair bit of greenstuff. I have another 1 as well, made in much the same way, only with bigger ****** and some hair taken from the giant kit. large.butcher.jpg.314cbc50639e87351f490af0cc118e85.jpg

Haha what was bleeb'ed there? The parts between belly and chin?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Haha what was bleeb'ed there? The parts between belly and chin?

Yes, not sure why tbh

I didn't use a rude word. Chickens have them. Not leg or wing, a word starting with B. Seems blood and violence is ok but not the correct word for a part of the female anatomy. We live live in a strange world :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Garion said:

Yes, not sure why tbh

I didn't use a rude word. Chickens have them. Not leg or wing, a word starting with B. Seems blood and violence is ok but not the correct word for a part of the female anatomy. We live live in a strange world :)

TGA works with an automated system that has a very specific dictionary 😂

13 hours ago, Garion said:

He looks great.

Has anyone ever experimented with multiple units of 12? I was thinking a unit of 12 Bulls (Ogors), a unit of 12 Ironguts, a unit of 6 (or 9) Leadbelchers. The idea would be to stay at least 50 points short so you have 2 CP on your first turn and immediately make both units of 12 immune to morale with the Tyrant. It would be a very low model count army that would have issues with objectives, but I play Skaven as it is and I want something a little more elite. That and I loved Ogre Kingdoms back in fantasy. 

Apologies for the double post but am I wrong in thinking that if I run Gutbusters as my allegiance so that I can use Leadbelchers and Iron Guts as battleline I can't then use the Destruction allegiance abilities, even though Gutbusters lack allegiance abilities of their own?

2 hours ago, Sovereign said:

Apologies for the double post but am I wrong in thinking that if I run Gutbusters as my allegiance so that I can use Leadbelchers and Iron Guts as battleline I can't then use the Destruction allegiance abilities, even though Gutbusters lack allegiance abilities of their own?

Yes. You have Destruction Allegiance Abilities even if you take Gutbusters as your allegiance. Hopefully this changes soon with a new Gutbusters book;)   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sovereign said:

He looks great.

Has anyone ever experimented with multiple units of 12? I was thinking a unit of 12 Bulls (Ogors), a unit of 12 Ironguts, a unit of 6 (or 9) Leadbelchers. The idea would be to stay at least 50 points short so you have 2 CP on your first turn and immediately make both units of 12 immune to morale with the Tyrant. It would be a very low model count army that would have issues with objectives, but I play Skaven as it is and I want something a little more elite. That and I loved Ogre Kingdoms back in fantasy. 

You won’t get much more elite than that ;) 

Definitely try it but I think you will end up splitting the ironguts. It gives you so much more flexibility and for 180 per three you don’t want to many trailing behind not getting into combat. But that’s just what happened to me. 

A thing to consider could be adding two butchers with cauldron because it’s the only way to add +1 to hit. 

But if you add all that in you’re already on:

Tyrant 160, 2x butcher 280, bulls 400, guts 720, 6 belchers 280 = 1840. 

If you go nine belchers you don’t have the extra CP. I might just consider 6 Maneaters in that case. Instead of the leadbelchers. You won’t get the CP either (1960pts) but the Maneaters are great models to paint, and really good as their job as linebackers.  Leaving you 40pts for an endless spell. 

You could of course also go for 9 ironguts and 12 leadbelchers which ends up at: 1940. 

Just some thoughts to mull over. I do think if you play a lot of big based monsters bigger units of ironguts are more in the right place. 

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

You won’t get much more elite than that ;) 

Definitely try it but I think you will end up splitting the ironguts. It gives you so much more flexibility and for 180 per three you don’t want to many trailing behind not getting into combat. But that’s just what happened to me. 

A thing to consider could be adding two butchers with cauldron because it’s the only way to add +1 to hit. 

But if you add all that in you’re already on:

Tyrant 160, 2x butcher 280, bulls 400, guts 720, 6 belchers 280 = 1840. 

If you go nine belchers you don’t have the extra CP. I might just consider 6 Maneaters in that case. Instead of the leadbelchers. You won’t get the CP either (1960pts) but the Maneaters are great models to paint, and really good as their job as linebackers.  Leaving you 40pts for an endless spell. 

You could of course also go for 9 ironguts and 12 leadbelchers which ends up at: 1940. 

Just some thoughts to mull over. I do think if you play a lot of big based monsters bigger units of ironguts are more in the right place. 

I've found that Leadbelchers are not that good, as they aren't very reliable. I would split the Guts in 2 units of 6 as well for full objective capping capability. 

Also, you may want to consider putting in a unit of what keeps the Gutbusters most  competitive: Grots. They are needed for the models and screening badly, and are very cheap to use. Putting in a unit of 60 even comes at a point reduction, so they would also be good choices for this list.

No argument that grots seem really good, but I said before that I already play Skaven with 140+ models so I was trying to keep things low, model count wise.

Splitting the unit of bulls up into 2x6 sounds good and definitely something I will experiment with. My only concern is morale, which is why I was going to run 1950 with the two units of 12 and immediately make them both immune to battleshock with the 2 CP I'd have on my first turn.

Leadbelchers I'm also a little way on myself but I figured I'd give it a shot. I recently picked up 18 bulls, 12 ironguts, and 4 leadbelchers for cheap which is serving as the foundation of the army. Just need to get heroes, and I already have one Avatars of War Ogre Khans on the way for a Tyrant.

7 hours ago, MKsmash said:

I've found that Leadbelchers are not that good, as they aren't very reliable. I would split the Guts in 2 units of 6 as well for full objective capping capability. 

Also, you may want to consider putting in a unit of what keeps the Gutbusters most  competitive: Grots. They are needed for the models and screening badly, and are very cheap to use. Putting in a unit of 60 even comes at a point reduction, so they would also be good choices for this list.

No me neither. In theory great unit to sit on backfield objectives but it never works. But 3/6 Maneaters as linebackers work very well for me. 

Grots are great but if you want elite... ;) 

3 hours ago, Sovereign said:

No argument that grots seem really good, but I said before that I already play Skaven with 140+ models so I was trying to keep things low, model count wise.

Splitting the unit of bulls up into 2x6 sounds good and definitely something I will experiment with. My only concern is morale, which is why I was going to run 1950 with the two units of 12 and immediately make them both immune to battleshock with the 2 CP I'd have on my first turn.

Leadbelchers I'm also a little way on myself but I figured I'd give it a shot. I recently picked up 18 bulls, 12 ironguts, and 4 leadbelchers for cheap which is serving as the foundation of the army. Just need to get heroes, and I already have one Avatars of War Ogre Khans on the way for a Tyrant.

It’s a harsh thought but I dismantled a leadbelchers to convert into butchers with cauldrons. 

5 hours ago, Sovereign said:

Is the base size guide now missing from the FAQ page or am I blind?

What size are ogres on? 40mm?

Yeah 40 mm. Though some are 50mm

Here's the link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/age_of_sigmar_base_sizes_en.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjDt4fPsaTiAhUCQxUIHQNJCqsQFjADegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3dijmwccx7S6rSPn-56x4s

On 5/17/2019 at 5:48 PM, Sovereign said:

In case that isn’t a typo, split the ironguts into 2x6, not the bulls. I agree with what’s been said - a unit of 12 bulls is a very efficient (points cost) unit, that you can rely on, but a unit of 12 ironguts is too many for the job you want them to do. Bulls anvil, Ironguts hammer. I run guts (and/or maneaters) in 6s, and battleshock is only really a problem against armies that specifically play for it.

If you want to follow through on your original thought, I’d consider the same strategy but with 2 units of 12 bulls, supported by smaller units of ironguts (even some 3s). If you don’t want to play with grots, this will get you more wounds on the table, and buffable targets, without having to pay over 700 points for a single unit.

Something like:

Tyrant, Butcher, 12 ogors, 12 ogors, 3 ironguts, 3 ironguts, 6 maneaters, 3 leadbelchers

or if you want the extra cp turn 1:

Tyrant, butcher, fungoid cave shaman, 12 ogors, 12 ogors, 6 ironguts, 3 ironguts, 3 ironguts, 40 pt endless spell of your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

What’s going on guys. Been a while! Back in the saddle with my Gutbusters and went hard all weekend. Had two 1k point narrative events and had a 2k match play game against Brass Stampede this morning. Go over my results from the events and my battle report for the 2k game. Link below. Also got a treat in the way of photos from the game that my friend decided to do. Hope y’all enjoy.

D03A7F1E-585C-4355-B16D-0C0D0E177558.png

A5D96D62-FB4A-4EF3-8B9A-E45F5C566F74.jpeg

FB7BA22C-0AC5-4324-ACEA-C6A4193A9E4F.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi guys 

My first time posting on this forum. I have playing my gutbusters for one year now always tweaking the list, but last weekend i think i hit a winner. Played vs.khorne 3 bloodthirster list and lost 14 to 13 but a very close match.

So the list

2 x tyrants

1x butcher

3x4 ogors

2x3 ironguts

4x gorgers

Thundertusk dude 

Fec archeregent as mercenary

He summoned 3 flayers.

The gorgers and the flayers really did some work holding up the enemy,all the while the rest of the army slowly advanced and secured objectives.

The battleplan was the one where you have 4 objectives , each are 1 point and if you take one from the enemy it is 2 points.

Cheers

Edited by Skipsalajan
Typos
  • Like 1