AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 minute ago, MKsmash said:

You can see the Ironguts warscroll. They now have a 3+ to hit instead of 4+, and their ability lasts until the next Hero phase. They also have a "Gulping Bite" attack.

The 3+ was really annoying as an elite army was loosing half of their attacks on hits rolls alone. I hope the core ogors will have this, too. Also, new names are incoming: Ogors are going to be named Ogor Gluttons. Ironguts remain Ironguts as per Warscroll. Gnoblars are Gnoblars again. 

I like the Khorne rule on the Mawpot, it is a nice detail.

With the Everwinter gone I wonder if Thundertusks will get a bigger rework of if they keep their frosty theme.

1 minute ago, Shankelton said:

Ability seems neat. If your Ogor line breaks and flees the ironguts get a buff, looks like hit/wound rerolls of 1. So they should be pretty reliable when coupled with their increased to hit roll. Gulping attack is nice flavor! Like the idea of them snapping into a slimjim mid fight. Opens up the possibility maybe of a buff if they kill someone with it... though thats just my own conjecture! 

reroll hit, wound and save rolls of 1 until your next hero phase from what I can read

1 minute ago, Charleston said:

reroll hit, wound and save rolls of 1 until your next hero phase from what I can read

I don't think this has changed much from before, sadly. It's still not great, as you need an Ogor to flee first. I think it lasts longer though, so there's that!

So "explaining just what happened to the Everwinter" could be a few things and a Necroquake-based explanation seems pretty plausible considering it's been a catalyst for new stuff in most other recent battletomes. I don't think it means the Everwinter is simply being dropped or the theme of the BCR is being removed, there's too much there already.

Rather I suspect we'll see something about how the BCR can temporarily hold it at bay. Really, what is the Everwinter if not a massive race-wide endless spell anyway? Exactly the kind of thing that the Necroquake kicked off and disrupted. Mechanically, this is probably necessary to explain why if you have a joint BCR/regular ogres force ("Big Waaagh" style) that the BCR-specific allegiance abilities don't apply.

Maybe the Huskard Torrs or the Butchers can tap into all this wild magic floating around to make the Everwinter dissipate for a while before it starts pursuing them again? Or offer it sacrifices of red meat and hot blood?  The BCR battletome did have a line about some captives being tied to standing stones and left to the oncoming blizzard as a sort of offering, maybe they're learned how to utilise that.

42 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Ability seems neat. If your Ogor line breaks and flees the ironguts get a buff, looks like hit/wound rerolls of 1. So they should be pretty reliable when coupled with their increased to hit roll. Gulping attack is nice flavor! Like the idea of them snapping into a slimjim mid fight. Opens up the possibility maybe of a buff if they kill someone with it... though thats just my own conjecture! 

The “Down to the Ironguts” thing is mostly unchanged actually. Which is a bit disappointing tbh, had hoped it would just become unconditionally once per battle. Oh well! Still looks great! Hoping their points come down too.

Edited by Walrustaco

2 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

The “Down to the Ironguts” thing is mostly unchanged actually. Which is a bit disappointing tbh, had hoped it would just become unconditionally once per battle. Oh well! Still looks great! Hoping their points come down too.

Seems to be the case! More a hobbiest at the moment until I get the Ogres fully painted, so went over my head! haha

22 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

They’d still be worse than any flavour of Troggoth at their current price, so I most certainly hope they do get a price drop😩

The maw pot is a wildcard honestly. Pair that with this new chomp attack and we might see some synergy that make them work quite well in the Ogre army, as mentioned Allegiance Abilities are what will swing that pendulum as well. Here's hoping for something really cool! I dont care about how good they are, just let it be a cool, thematic ability like Blood Tithe or the Cycle of corruption. All I can hope for!

1 hour ago, Fabint said:

I didn't consider multiple Tribes as a possibility, would be super cool to see!

Seems likely it will be similar to the orruks in terms of set up. At least I hope it will be gut busters, bcr and joint mawtribes. Although if the ever winter is gone maybe solo BCR won't be a thing anymore. The ever winter did kind of define their identity in the lore and allegiance ability (such as it was) previously. 

1 hour ago, Shankelton said:

Reroll 1s to save too. Banner makes more models flee failed battleshockand gives spell resistance on 6s. Nice to have if unreliable. On the other hand, Vs Hallowheart casting 12 spells a turn that will actually go off pretty often! 

Looks like ironguts are the same solid damage dealers but a little more reliable. Plus whatever new abilities we get to play with :)

40 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

It's odd because they show 3 Leadbelchers and 5 Gluttons on the video, but 2 Leadbelchers and 6 Gluttons in the picture.  I think the video is correct and leadbelchers come in multiples of 3, while Gluttons come in multiples of 5 (like Brutes).

In the video they show the back of the physical box, and it shows 6 Ogor Gluttons and 2 Leadbelchers. I'm willing to bet Leadbelchers are down to units of 2, much like how we can see Ironguts are now units of 4 from the warscroll peek.

16 minutes ago, madmac said:

Warscroll builder won't have the new rules until next week at the earliest.

Normally they update the scroll builder on release day, not on pre order day.

In case of the Leadbelchers. If there are only 2 in the box, the regular Leadbelcher Box has 4 models so if the size stays 3 there is a way to get 6 Leadbelchers or 2 units of 3.

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

In case of the Leadbelchers. If there are only 2 in the box, the regular Leadbelcher Box has 4 models so if the size stays 3 there is a way to get 6 Leadbelchers or 2 units of 3.

I'm pretty sure they will go with "out of the box build", so 2 or 4.

They even accidentally made Sneaky Snufflers in units of 5 but the box comes with 6, which they FAQ'd later.