AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

One big (but little bit hidden in the text) promise is that both Ironjawz and bonesplitters get an own allegiance ability and a third all in allegiance abilities. 

To me that sounds they are trying to fix the problem that the previous soup times have.... no reason to go single sub faction. Skaven book tried it by offering battleline if. But that’s still not working. So I’m really curious to see if they can actually make mono Ironjawz and mono bonesplitters an option (besides narrative of course). 

So if that’s a new design direction it could also be mawstribes and bcr separate but in the same book with an combined allegiance ability. But I’m willing to bet it’s going to be two books. 

And on the model... absolutely agree with the earlier comments  awesome model great way of tying in the old and still give it some new style. It seems to be a bit mongalian in inspiration. The style of moustache, the lion skin cloak flapping in the wind. Makes kind of sense when I combine the model with the text:  

‘Giving it the feel of a wandering, barbaric warrior-king’

Agreed. They sort of did this with Gloomspite, giving the moon a different effect on different keywords. But fully fleshed out, totally separate allegiance abilities for each faction plus an over arching one sounds interesting. The issue will be making all 3 (in Orruks or presumably Mawtribes) equally appealing from both a rules and fluff standpoint. They did a decent job of this in Gloomspite, but let’s face it...playing all Trolls or all Spiderfang just isn’t that great. Granted, Gloomspite in general isn’t top of the line in the current meta.

Regarding the “wandering, barbaric, warrior-king” line, this is more evidence to me that they’re combing all Ogors.  Makes sense to tie both major Ogor factions together by playing up the “we’re just savage nomads just looking to consume some bones” aspect of both types.  

Pumped for this release, really hoping for an Ogors vs. X combined box like Looncurse that’ll include the new Tyrant.

Lastly, assuming an Ogor release brings endless spells, can we envision a scenario in which one of them is NOT a ravening Great Maw?? I don’t think so. Too obvious and cool.

8 minutes ago, FPC said:

Pumped for this release, really hoping for an Ogors vs. X combined box like Looncurse that’ll include the new Tyrant.

For a while, I thought it would be Ogors vs. Stormcast. However, they seem to have faded from the limelight a little, and I think it will be Ogors vs. Legions of Nagash. The "Pact of Bones has been broken" line seems to me to be about Nagash breaking the rules.

1 minute ago, MKsmash said:

For a while, I thought it would be Ogors vs. Stormcast. However, they seem to have faded from the limelight a little, and I think it will be Ogors vs. Legions of Nagash. The "Pact of Bones has been broken" line seems to me to be about Nagash breaking the rules.

Who knows, definitely possible. I haven’t kept up a ton with lore lately. Is the Pack of Bones something we’ve heard about before, or new today? My guess is it’s new and is going to be how they frame expanded Ogor fluff and bring the two factions together.

3 minutes ago, FPC said:

Who knows, definitely possible. I haven’t kept up a ton with lore lately. Is the Pack of Bones something we’ve heard about before, or new today? My guess is it’s new and is going to be how they frame expanded Ogor fluff and bring the two factions together.

Yeah, the Pact of Bones was introduced today. Dunno what it is.

Could be something used to combine them, but I also, think it has to do with the rest of the world somehow.

Hey all, 

are we expecting a full update?? If so, would it be wise to stock up a little more on models before hand or should I wait for the release to know what to get??

thanks! I'm enjoying all your guys' thoughts so far!

Just now, LLC said:

Hey all, 

are we expecting a full update?? If so, would it be wise to stock up a little more on models before hand or should I wait for the release to know what to get??

thanks! I'm enjoying all your guys' thoughts so far!

I would think every thing I the trailer is save. Ogors will still be battle line and leadbelchers and the cannon seem still in there. If they will finally do some ranged damage.. who knows ;) 

53 minutes ago, LLC said:

oh nice! thanks for the quick response! Are the ogors in the new packaging the same as the old ones or have they updated the sculpts?

Same sculpts just repacked to have 40mm round bases.

So in line with my previous post, thinking about possible endless spells.

A Great Maw - feel like this is obvious. Offensive MW spell, maybe has the possibility to keep eating like the butcher spell.

A primal beast of some sort - bridge the gap between BCR and ogors, assuming combined book.

An Everwinter storm of some sort. Enemy debuff or defensive friendly buff. -1 to hit vs shooting? Impose a -1 to hit when near enemies? 

A fire spell to give Firebellies something to do. If Spiderfang got their own, this isn’t too crazy.

All pure speculation of course!

Now I’m hoping they’ll do a full Ogor revamp like Gloomspite with some new models! Firebelly battleline??

1 hour ago, Shankelton said:

Absolutely amazing model! Might not of got the tome, but I'm more then happy with this! Now I can build the rest of my army without worrying about them going anywhere!

I think I'll take 3 xD

Buddy, I think we're gonna get a tome

• Haha 1

Ooh did just have the horrible thought this might be the end of the line for the Maneaters models. So if you, like me, are missing a few this might be the time to get them. 

If the whole unit dissapears I’m still using them as characters and bulls. 

25 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Ooh did just have the horrible thought this might be the end of the line for the Maneaters models. So if you, like me, are missing a few this might be the time to get them. 

If the whole unit dissapears I’m still using them as characters and bulls. 

Are you thinking that they're going to release plastic maneaters? They just did a mercenary company for them after all, so I cant them going entirely.

But you're right, some great, characterful models that would be missed.

7 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Are you thinking that they're going to release plastic maneaters? They just did a mercenary company for them after all, so I cant them going entirely.

But you're right, some great, characterful models that would be missed.

That’s a good point. Hadn’t thought of that. My main worry is that they are a bit goofy and the trailer and tyrant seems quite grim. For lack of s better word. Also some of those Maneaters are quite simply ogor from Arabia, ogor from Cathay, Ogor from the empire etc. Also they are all resin right? 

But if they would redo them. It sure as The maw going to be one Maneater from every realm. Which would be dope. 

Edited by Kramer

Personally tempering any expectation for new models myself! Butcher would be great, but who knows. Assuming will be put together with BCR, with you being able to theme your army to be BCR as one of the tribes of the greater, innumerable MawTribes. That will give us cav and big beasts in faction, so lots of options.

That being said... I think my favorite thing is actually hearing an ogre talk. A niggling issue I kept having in my fluff and lore writing was grasping the intellegence of ogres in aos. Now I can confirm that they arnt using broken baby talk like a giant, or cockney rugby tones like orruks.

Very pleased to be smart, but simple fat, maneating mongolians! Reminds me of those stories of ogres tricking orruks into attacking them so they had an excuse to eat them haha.

18 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Personally tempering any expectation for new models myself!

Same. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if it’s a Carrion Empire level release, like we get a new model (which might as well be a box set exclusive) and a Battletome, spells and terrain.

Which, don’t get me wrong, I’m all for! No complaints here!

• Like 2

I'm glad there is a new plastic Tyrant. The model looks great. (I just wish I had time to sell my extra NIB finecast Tyrant before this was announced, haha.)

Even if that's the only new model a box of Ogors vs Skellies would be cool.