AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I got a 1250 point event. Its difficult to make a competitive list. I was able to make this:

60 Grots 270

Ghyrstrike Tyrant 160

12 Ogors with two clubs 400

Fungoid Cave Shaman 90

3 Ogors  with two clubs 120

3 Ogors with two clubs 120

Extra Command Point

Endless Spell?

However, I feel it could be a lot better. Does anyone have any suggestions for a competitive list?

Thank You!

Edited by MKsmash

1 hour ago, MKsmash said:

I got a 1250 point event. Its difficult to make a competitive list. I was able to make this:

60 Grots 270

Ghyrstrike Tyrant 160

12 Ogors with two clubs 400

Fungoid Cave Shaman 90

3 Ogors  with two clubs 120

3 Ogors with two clubs 120

Extra Command Point

Endless Spell?

However, I feel it could be a lot better. Does anyone have any suggestions for a competitive list?

Thank You!

If I were trying to be competitive, I might consider something like the following.  It would give 2 spells a turn, 2 unbinds, some utility from the endless spells, a little bit of ranged shooting, and two melee beat sticks in the tyrant and the big block of ogors.  The two grot units could be flexible and either bubblewrap heroes, or babysit objectives (but there's lots of room for personal preference).  I've found that 60 grot blocks at low points, while super hard to move, is kind of super hard to move -- they choke up your big ogor unit and prevent your big hitters from getting where they want to go.  That may just be me playing poorly, though.  Anyway, the list:

Allegiance: Gutbusters
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Great Gutgouger
- Trait: Wild Fury
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
12 x Ogors (400)
- Pairs of Ogor Clubs or Blades
3 x Ogors (120)
- Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
20 x Grots (100)
20 x Grots (100)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Quicksilver Swords (20)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 180 / 200
Wounds: 125

3 hours ago, ryanguy88 said:

If I were trying to be competitive, I might consider something like the following.  It would give 2 spells a turn, 2 unbinds, some utility from the endless spells, a little bit of ranged shooting, and two melee beat sticks in the tyrant and the big block of ogors.  The two grot units could be flexible and either bubblewrap heroes, or babysit objectives (but there's lots of room for personal preference).  I've found that 60 grot blocks at low points, while super hard to move, is kind of super hard to move -- they choke up your big ogor unit and prevent your big hitters from getting where they want to go.  That may just be me playing poorly, though.  Anyway, the list:

Allegiance: Gutbusters
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Great Gutgouger
- Trait: Wild Fury
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
12 x Ogors (400)
- Pairs of Ogor Clubs or Blades
3 x Ogors (120)
- Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
20 x Grots (100)
20 x Grots (100)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Quicksilver Swords (20)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 180 / 200
Wounds: 125

Thanks! Do you think I could do anything instead of the Endless Spells? (I dont have them, as i dont use magic frequently 😅

5 minutes ago, MKsmash said:

Thanks! Do you think I could do anything instead of the Endless Spells? (I dont have them, as i dont use magic frequently 😅

What about dropping it for a command point. So if/when you don't get the first turn you won't lose the 12 ogors due to battleshock?

Anyone got any thoughts on the new command abilities? Re-roll hits of 1 in the combat phase, re-roll save rolls of 1 and re-roll hit rolls of 1 in the shooting phase.

Fungoid can give you an extra command point on a +4, we can buy one more for 50 points.

Thinking of dumping the butcher for 2 fungoid. 2 CP could give you a screen of bulls re-rolling 1 on hits while causing a MW on saves of 6 with a unit of ironblasters behind them re-rollings 1 on their leadbelcher guns.

Back in November 2018 I had an interview for AoS background writer at Games Workshop. Unfortunately I didn't get the job. The writing task that got me the interview however, was to write some lore for the Gutbusters faction. I wrote it, but obviously it uses GW IP so I cant profit from it. I used the format and house style of a GW Battletome. It was great fun, and I tried to include some of the humour peculiar to Destruction factions, as well as some original ideas of my own. I thought you guys might be interested in having a look. 

EMPIRES OF BRUTALITY

Driven by all-consuming hunger and an innate desire to pulverise, Gutbusters stomp across the Mortal realms in a never ending search for food and a fight. Large, robust and atrociously strong, when these brutish ogors march to war the very ground shakes, as does the nerve of lesser beings.

A rumble like distant thunder and huge columns of dust and smoke herald the migration of the Meat-Thump Caravans of the Gutbuster tribes. The bellowing of Tyrants and the raucous boasting of Ironguts fills enemies with fear and uncertainty. There is just time to pointlessly raise shields before an unstoppable wall of hard fat, corded muscle and rusted iron crunches into the puny but tasty defenders. What follows is brutal and efficient butchery as the ogors crush, club and thump, leaving bodies mangled though largely intact for the feast of flesh to come.

Mighty Opponents

Standing head and shoulders above the tallest man and as wide as a stone outhouse, ogors are muscular and impressively substantial creatures that are able to shrug off wounds that would maim or kill orruks and humans. Their large, rotund bellies are almost always covered with a sturdy piece of circular armour called a gutplate, which they proudly maintain with spit and clot-polish. Should a blade strike against the bare flesh of an ogor, it will meet tough, weathered skin and a nigh on impenetrable layer of hard, subcutaneous fat.

Gutbuster strength is legendary and tales abound of them holding bucking bullgors in vicelike headlocks, or twisting the arms off troggoths too stupid to realise what was happening to them. They put this prodigious strength to good use in battle, wielding a variety of stone capped clubs and heavy iron maces to break and pulverise. Cruel curved scimitars are another favoured weapon, the blades of which are purposefully dulled so as to shatter bone and tenderise muscle. When no weapon is available – or just for the sheer joy of it – ogors will often employ their ham sized fists with skull cracking effect.

In appearance, ogors take the form of extremely well built (and well fed) humanoids, albeit with a particularly lumpen and thuggish countenance. Their dinted craniums are like cannonballs and are more often than not bald or with limited hair. Beards and moustaches however, are maintained, and make excellent repositories for gobbets of flesh and gravy, handy for grazing on between meals. Their tough, gnarly skin comes in a variety of hues including all those usual to humankind but clammy-grey and yellow ochre are also common. Some realm-faring travellers and escaping lunches have told of more exotic varieties of ogor, such as the blue-black thugs spotted in the dark hinterlands of Ghur, crimson ogors harrying trade routes on the Obsidian Plains of Aqshy and even shimmering purple brutes that rove amongst the Sulphos Stalagmites of Alchemist’s Grave in Chamon.

Wherever there is meat or food, and someone or something not willing to part with it, you will find Gutbusters. And therein you find an ogor’s prime motivation – fighting and eating. An ogor’s hunger is almost limitless. It twists and it wrenches, it craves and it demands satisfaction. Conquered cities’ entire food reserves have been known to have been consumed in a single night of gluttony. Whole armies’ worth of cadavers are butchered and packed onto rhinox carts for tomorrow’s breakfast. An ogor’s peculiar metabolism and hulking physique allows them to devour vast quantities of food, not always successfully. The phenomenon known as Exploding Scoffer tells of particularly greedy individuals spontaneously exploding after consuming nearly their own bodyweight in meat, splattering all those around with offal, bile and hunks of viscous tissue. There is a taboo in Gutbuster society that says “Don’t scoff on the scran in a neighbour’s stomach cos it’s always and forever his.” However there is no such taboo about eating the remains of the neighbour himself.

Nomadic Empires

Gutbusters are not farmers or artisans, they are reaving nomads. They need to fight, take, eat and repeat. It is these needs that drive them headlong, destroying and devouring, leaving barren wastelands behind them and nations of refugees ahead of them. This process is what Gutbusters rather brazenly call trade. The Meat-Thump Trade is a very simple concept – ogors like simple concepts – they give you a thump, to the head, chest, spine, they’re not fussy, and you give them meat in return, your bodily meat to be precise. Trade is more fruitful and more fun when it is pursued in travelling groups. These groups range from roving Meat-Thump Caravans numbering a couple of dozen ogors, their grot retainers and a few rhinox, to terrifying nomadic empires,  hundreds of thousands strong, that sweep through the Mortal Realms like an elemental cataclysm. Gutbuster tribes will often ply the same well-worn trade routes with their caravans for hundreds of years, obliterating the civilised settlements of Order as they go, only for them, or their descendants, to return decades or even centuries later to reap the rewards of what has been rebuilt. Of course there is always some resistance. Sigmar’s Stormcast Eternals have proven to be worthy combatants, but nothing a sturdy club can’t bash back to Azyr, especially now that the Soul Wars has Stormhosts spread more thinly than ever in their struggle against the Legions of Nagash. Sometimes the cannons of the Freeguild can be irritating; as can the sturdy walls of Free Cities and Chaos Dreadholds, but Gutbusters have an answer for them too, with the help of some hot lead and some diminutive friends.

With brains wired to destroy and eat, and possessed of gnarled fingers as thick as a grot’s arm, ogors do not make particularly adept craftsmen. In fact, if an ogor can pull up his own trousers after a visit to the drops it is something of an achievement. They can however knock a spike through a log “to make it better for burstin’ punies” or hammer bits of stolen scrap iron into something akin to armour, but for all other matters Gutbusters employ small grots as retainers, smiths and tinkerers supreme. Steppe Grots or Gnoblars as they are sometimes classified, have a symbiotic relationship with ogors, receiving a level of protection from their brutish masters. In return grots exploit their natural curiosity and lack of regard for personal safety to build and maintain the more esoteric contraptions in a Meat-Thump Caravan. These weapons include ramshackle but deadly Scraplaunchers and the wall and gargant toppling Ironblasters. Both are mounted onto carts and are pulled by a belligerent beast of burden called a rhinox. Clubs are not the only hand tools of slaughter available to a Gutbuster ogor either. Many will stride into battle carrying Leadbelcher guns – huge, pilfered firearms that would be considered cannons or pivot guns to lesser mortals, the salvos of which can leave enemy formations as little more than tattered red shreds.

Ogors will often camp in barren, deserted places that lie in-between civilisations so as to avoid any unwanted attention or ambush. Wide savannahs, open moorland and bleak steppes are large enough environments to accommodate the tremendous spread of a Gutbuster camp, whilst still remaining relatively secluded. When a suitable location is found, huge shelters and pagodas are efficiently erected, whilst scrap piles are arranged and deep latrines referred to as drops are dug. It is obviously lowly grots that undertake the majority of this work, although occasionally an ogor show-off will kick some struggling grots out of the way to show them how it’s really done, before returning to his scranscoff and beer, leaving crumpled and bruised grotters in his wake.  One of the few non-fighting jobs to not be undertaken by the ogors’ big nosed hangers-on, is that of butchery and food preparation. This honour is reserved for the Butchers.

Assuming highly respected positions in the tribe, Butchers are part holy guru, part deadly shaman and part frothingly, insane cook. Through the ceremonial consumption of vast quantities of bruised offal and the concoction of visceral recipes such as blood-dumpling stews, Butchers are able to unleash the primal powers of Gut Magic to invigorate comrades or eviscerate foes. The tribe’s Butchers also serve as a direct conduit to the god Gorkmorka whom the Gutbusters worship as the Great Beast that Consumes the World. Gutbusters’ belief system functions on the rather straightforward premise that might is right. That being a given then, there is no ogor mightier (or rightier) than the Tyrant. Ogor Tyrants are massive, bellicose brutes even by the standards of their kin, able to knock a chimera out cold with a single punch (or maybe three single punches) or chop down a Treelord with ease. It is these indomitable and egotistical warlords that lead the Meat-Thump Caravans on their devastating trade expeditions, some few rising to become the masters of colossal Gutbuster Empires that treat the continents of the Mortal Realms as playgrounds for recreational violence and gluttonous feasting.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Sorry, newbie here, how can we ally in Fungoid? I thought it was only Troggoths?

nope, you can ally in beastclaws as well as troggoths. Fungiod is a herald from malign portents so can be used by any destruction army. 

• Like 1

What's everybody thinking about the meeting engagements? Whatever we put in different continents it will work as it's not reliant on synergies. And most of our stuff is relatively powerful. 

Is everybody just scaling their 2K lists down?

Also very much looking forward to playing city in ruins. Ogors just smashing though buildings 😂Like they made it for us

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mDaro said:

Yeah but it costs 130 points for Skal! That makes 4 Sabertusks 210 points. That's ridiculous.

While the Sabertusks are not great, the strength of the Icebrow Hunter combined with them is usually enough to ****** over the enemy's squishy heroes (Wight King, Slaughterpriest, etc.). Plus, Sabertusks work well with Yhetees. Sacrifice a unit of 2 against an enemy unit to weaken them and waste their attack, and then use the 6" pile in to engage the weakened unit with the Yhetees.

9 hours ago, MKsmash said:

While the Sabertusks are not great, the strength of the Icebrow Hunter combined with them is usually enough to ****** over the enemy's squishy heroes (Wight King, Slaughterpriest, etc.). Plus, Sabertusks work well with Yhetees. Sacrifice a unit of 2 against an enemy unit to weaken them and waste their attack, and then use the 6" pile in to engage the weakened unit with the Yhetees.

With Skal you pay 130 (!!!! ) points to appear some very week and unuseful units. You pay  what other armies do for free or for maximum a Command Point. 

With the same  price for a battalion other armies do some very cool and destructive things. 

So, my conclusion is, if you play Destruction you play Destruction just for love, not for win.  

4 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

With Skal you pay 130 (!!!! ) points to appear some very week and unuseful units. You pay  what other armies do for free or for maximum a Command Point. 

With the same  price for a battalion other armies do some very cool and destructive things. 

So, my conclusion is, if you play Destruction you play Destruction just for love, not for win.  

Oh you definitely play for love. It's not really fair to compare BCR to other armies though, as nothing about them is fair compared to other armies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Oh you definitely play for love. It's not really fair to compare BCR to other armies though, as nothing about them is fair compared to other armies.

I have a really high expectation regarding the new Ogors/BCR Battletome. 

I hope that GW Will create an army that can play at the same level of DoK or FEC. 

9 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

I hope that GW Will create an army that can play at the same level of DoK or FEC. 

I'm hoping they actually make a new Ogor battletome within my lifetime

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DestructionFranz said:

Destruction and being top tier doesn't seem to be in GW though process

also no army should be on the same level as FEC in the first place, that was just an unbalance book to begin with

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Destruction and being top tier doesn't seem to be in GW though process

also no army should be on the same level as FEC in the first place, that was just an unbalance book to begin with

I think the one of DoK , to be 2 years old, is by far the  wrongest book in history. 

I think they were in a strong hangover when they wrote that book. Even with the point increase is still one of the strongest army if not the strongest.   

23 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

I think the one of DoK , to be 2 years old, is by far the  wrongest book in history. 

I think they were in a strong hangover when they wrote that book. Even with the point increase is still one of the strongest army if not the strongest.   

Isn’t Dok from may (ish) 2018?  Hardly two years old.