AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Wait, so Grand Alliances can now combine?

Not quite.

Forbidden power allows any army to take certain Fyreslayers or Flesh Eater Courts. They’re kinda like allies but they get their own little ability for themselves  (rerolls on something when charging/charged, can’t remember exactly)

If you take them however, you don’t get a CP in your first hero phase...

Have a few 1,5K games coming up (if everything goes right) and would like to take the Gutbusters out again. (might not play them myself now that I think about it but we'll see who ends up with what army 😂)

My thoughts are:
Tyrant - Full gutgouger combo
Butcher 
12 Ogors - who will travel with the Butcher on one flank
12 Ogors - who will receive a slap turn one and can then head off to the other flank
6 Ironguts - who will start from the centre with the Tyrant. Holding back a turn to see where to go and if the scenario forces I can send the tyrant and them in two directions. 

Basically play to the strengths and kind of force my opponent to focus fire on one of three treats to take it out and hit their lines before they can neutralize the second threat. 

Standard Ogor problems would be lot's of objectives to cover and enemies with speed/deepstriking abilities that get behind the lines. So a list with 20/40 Gnoblars would also work but then I would have to drop a big unit down. Leaving me with an imposing threat less. 

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Warbossironteef said:

Do you guys think the fact that Gutbusters arent in the new GH that is a good thing or a bad thing? It either means a new book or they are getting phased out right?

well keep in mind that the armies that were listed had GHB allegiance updates last year but didn't get a release between the GHB release, it could just be a direct copy and paste of the entries from last year. I doubt they are going to phase out gutbuster since they confirm that Maneaters are a mercenary company in the GHB preview. 

Speaking of which, is the firebelly and command point tax worth re-rolling charges on the Maneaters? 

Command trait move + move and run + charge (with re-roll) makes 20 inches quite doable in my mind. Or am I grasping at straws to make my Maneaters a must take? (I just love the models) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skipsalajan said:

No point drops for the gutbusters in the new GHB :(

buuut the bcr biggies are going down a bit.. so maybe some new potential to ally them in

I’m hoping this is evidence that they’ll be releasing a combined BCR/Ogors book this year. Rationale being they plan to leave BCR rules mostly unchanged but did some things go help them via points,  while they left Ogor points the same and plan to change up some rules a bit to make them more worth their points.

At least, that’s what I’m telling myself!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FPC said:

I’m hoping this is evidence that they’ll be releasing a combined BCR/Ogors book this year. Rationale being they plan to leave BCR rules mostly unchanged but did some things go help them via points,  while they left Ogor points the same and plan to change up some rules a bit to make them more worth their points.

At least, that’s what I’m telling myself!

Well the fact that they did point change for BCR and not Gutbusters make me think otherwise, that they may stay separate. Keep in mind that at AoS 2.0 launch their plans where to keep the 2 Ogor armies as separate armies. Since they work in very long time frames I think they keep the same intention when writing the GHB last December. Of course their plans could change but I would feel at this point the Gutbusters/Ogor tome has already been written and waiting to be printed. 

7 minutes ago, Mutton said:

The fact we didn't get anything in the GHB makes me think a book is imminent. Either that or GW hates us and has no plans to support Gutbusters outside of models.

Honestly, that's my take. I mean, Greenskins were literally squatted and they still got point adjustments in this book. I'm very confident now Gutbuster and Bonesplitterz books are coming soon, but it does look like BCR will remain their own thing.

Aside from Gutbusters/Bonesplitterz, I'm pretty sure literally the only other factions that didn't get point adjustments were the ones that got books this year and Sylvaneth, who were supposed to have by now.

19 minutes ago, Mutton said:

The fact we didn't get anything in the GHB makes me think a book is imminent. Either that or GW hates us and has no plans to support Gutbusters outside of models.

I’m unfortunately more concerned that it’s the latter, as BCR got changes...

If they got got changes, that makes it less likely that Ogors are getting soup’d, and personally I doubt Gutbusters have enough to fill a battletome on their own.

I mean, fingers crossed it IS a positive indicator but GW has burned before, and will burn again...

47 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

I’m unfortunately more concerned that it’s the latter, as BCR got changes...

If they got got changes, that makes it less likely that Ogors are getting soup’d, and personally I doubt Gutbusters have enough to fill a battletome on their own.

I mean, fingers crossed it IS a positive indicator but GW has burned before, and will burn again...

well if you count Maneaters, Firebellies, and the Gargant you have about 12-13 different units which are about the same amount as KO and Fyreslayer have.

Granted the Ogor range has a lot of resin and metal models in it like every hero model, Maneaters, and the Gorgers, I think GW knows that they have to update the range before an actual release.

I've been an Ogre Kingdoms player for, well, a really long time.

What that has me curious is the way Ogors have NEVER got allegiance abilities whatsoever, but are mentioned a lot in other books. Gloomspite Gitz goes into finer points of what Destruction factions are about, including beastclaws, while other books occasionally mention Ogors quite explicitly. Generally, I'm very sure the Gutbusters are sticking around, but we have to see what will happen. Personally, I do believe that Gutbusters would get merged with Beastclaws, as well as Maneaters and Firebellies, mostly because it would 1)sell more since we'd have no ally restrictions to keep both sides apart, especially with all us old timer ogre kingdoms players, and 2)solve issues for beastclaws, which is having cheap bodies. I'm thinking about this because of the skaven release. 1 plastic model, theen a bunch of spells and terrain, but ALL thee clans get merged. Personally, I would NOT mind if they didn't update all the kits (If they did then yay), but I mainly just want a book in general. Especially one to combine all the Ogors into a single allegiance, Skaven style.  The Masterclan consists of 2 models and they still got an allegiance ability, so Firebellies can get that treatment.

Sorry for the long rant, just that my stomach's still empty, and I'm hungry for a new tome... 

• LOVE IT! 1

Five plastic kits, three of which can be Battleline,  doesn't seem like too small of a range to me. That's not counting Gargants which I could see being included, and also counting the Ironblaster/Scraplauncher as one.

Then there's all the finecast.

I could see Gutbusters being one of the releases that gets a new Leader, a terrain piece and Endless Spells.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

I've been an Ogre Kingdoms player for, well, a really long time.

What that has me curious is the way Ogors have NEVER got allegiance abilities whatsoever, but are mentioned a lot in other books. Gloomspite Gitz goes into finer points of what Destruction factions are about, including beastclaws, while other books occasionally mention Ogors quite explicitly. Generally, I'm very sure the Gutbusters are sticking around, but we have to see what will happen. Personally, I do believe that Gutbusters would get merged with Beastclaws, as well as Maneaters and Firebellies, mostly because it would 1)sell more since we'd have no ally restrictions to keep both sides apart, especially with all us old timer ogre kingdoms players, and 2)solve issues for beastclaws, which is having cheap bodies. I'm thinking about this because of the skaven release. 1 plastic model, theen a bunch of spells and terrain, but ALL thee clans get merged. Personally, I would NOT mind if they didn't update all the kits (If they did then yay), but I mainly just want a book in general. Especially one to combine all the Ogors into a single allegiance, Skaven style.  The Masterclan consists of 2 models and they still got an allegiance ability, so Firebellies can get that treatment.

Sorry for the long rant, just that my stomach's still empty, and I'm hungry for a new tome... 

Gloomspite did the same combining thing, yeah. I'm really hoping we see Ogors in a single force in that same style, or really just modernized Ogor rules anywhere.  

Personally I hope (and expect) they will keep BCR and Gutbusters separate. 

The lore of BCR is well established by now and has a cool AoS hook. A magical storm chases them and they need to keep moving to outrun it. I could see them include the firebelly for a weird Yin and  Yang set up (let's be honest if a snowstorm follows you around somebody who creates some heat will be very helpful). But footslogging Ogors doesn't fit that narratively (but could be done) but more importantly model wise it doesn't work. And as they keep repeating they work Model first rules second. 

Regarding missing bodies... that's the whole BCR schtick. Super elite big boys army. Would really be a let down if they take that away. Gutbusters in the same manner should have their own playstyle that fits the model range.

3 hours ago, Fabint said:

Gloomspite did the same combining thing, yeah. I'm really hoping we see Ogors in a single force in that same style, or really just modernized Ogor rules anywhere.  

Yeah they easily could... but looking at Beast of Chaos and Gloomspite Gits execution... the sub factions are cool concept but they hardly inspire like when they would have gotten a seperate ruleset. 

Of course all the above is my personal opinion/expectation. I'm hoping for a BCR update book and a brand new Ogor book and nothing in the GHB seems to make it less likely so i'm happily staying patient. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kramer said:

Personally I hope (and expect) they will keep BCR and Gutbusters separate. 

The lore of BCR is well established by now and has a cool AoS hook. A magical storm chases them and they need to keep moving to outrun it. I could see them include the firebelly for a weird Yin and  Yang set up (let's be honest if a snowstorm follows you around somebody who creates some heat will be very helpful). But footslogging Ogors doesn't fit that narratively (but could be done) but more importantly model wise it doesn't work. And as they keep repeating they work Model first rules second. 

Regarding missing bodies... that's the whole BCR schtick. Super elite big boys army. Would really be a let down if they take that away. Gutbusters in the same manner should have their own playstyle that fits the model range.

Yeah they easily could... but looking at Beast of Chaos and Gloomspite Gits execution... the sub factions are cool concept but they hardly inspire like when they would have gotten a seperate ruleset. 

Of course all the above is my personal opinion/expectation. I'm hoping for a BCR update book and a brand new Ogor book and nothing in the GHB seems to make it less likely so i'm happily staying patient. 

I see where you're coming from, and admittedly, I do understand it would be unfair to those players that came to AOS specifically for Beastclaw Raiders. At the end of the day, I can't speak for their playstyle either, since I don't really play them that much (I play Gutbusters with occasional beastclaw allies). I suppose part of my longing for a combination is me having been so used to playing my beasts with my ogres back in fantasy, but that's years ago, and I know that mindset is outdated.

So, i'll just correct myself now. I just really want books for ogors in general. Doesn't need to merge them, I just would like 1)updated lore, and 2)updated rules.

I do agree about the Beasts of Chaos and Gloomspite Gitz subfaction rules being somewhat meh in their execution, that's actually a legitimate concern which would make a battletome specific to Beastclaw raiders/gutbusters more... meaty (heh). Gitz subfaction rules literally only come up with the moon up, while beasts of chaos ones are actually kinda minor. I do find the Skaven ones more enjoyable tho.

At the end of the day, I'll be happy to have an Ogors book of any kind. Honestly. I just wanna see how they've been doing, what with all the Soul Wars and all that. And having a fully supported army would be nice.

23 minutes ago, Kaz said:

I see where you're coming from, and admittedly, I do understand it would be unfair to those players that came to AOS specifically for Beastclaw Raiders. At the end of the day, I can't speak for their playstyle either, since I don't really play them that much (I play Gutbusters with occasional beastclaw allies). I suppose part of my longing for a combination is me having been so used to playing my beasts with my ogres back in fantasy, but that's years ago, and I know that mindset is outdated.

So, i'll just correct myself now. I just really want books for ogors in general. Doesn't need to merge them, I just would like 1)updated lore, and 2)updated rules.

I do agree about the Beasts of Chaos and Gloomspite Gitz subfaction rules being somewhat meh in their execution, that's actually a legitimate concern which would make a battletome specific to Beastclaw raiders/gutbusters more... meaty (heh). Gitz subfaction rules literally only come up with the moon up, while beasts of chaos ones are actually kinda minor. I do find the Skaven ones more enjoyable tho.

At the end of the day, I'll be happy to have an Ogors book of any kind. Honestly. I just wanna see how they've been doing, what with all the Soul Wars and all that. And having a fully supported army would be nice.

Hehe meaty 😂

haha yeah if I’m honest I’ll be the first to cheer if we get anything.