AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 3/24/2019 at 2:59 PM, Pitloze said:

If mortal fists get the "unmodified roll of a 6" change like Bloodwarriors did will they become a viable loadout? I'm building my Ogors now and I'm not sure if I want to bother magnetising all of them.

No... 

😉

not even without the unmodified part. Of course this is all my personal opinion but without a reliable +1 to save it’s not worth it. The other option re roll ones to hit comes up way more I feel. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mincemeat said:

Sadly little ogor news from adepticon, but the warcry preview does give me hope. 

Sounds to me like their releasing rules for non chaos warbands, and that top left symbol looks familiar..

Plus the actual ogor in the iron golems looks AWESOME

IMG_20190328_062837.png

I am pretty sure that symbols is for Bonesplitterz

• Like 3

On 3/17/2019 at 5:49 PM, Shankelton said:

Anyone have any tips or tricks for spicing up Ogor pants? Painting my lot up and decided on blues and reds, but they seem a tad plain! 

Skin I plan to do a few tattoos, or at least try too. But Im at a bit of a loss for the britches. Don't really like the old style of pin stripes. Bit too old world for me!

One of the reasons i really enjoy Ogors is that each Ogor, in lore, makes their own clothes and armor from stuff they've pillaged. Each of my ogors have pants made from a different cloth. Try to imagine what kind of cloth an Ogor might find after eating a village, then use that as the pattern for the pants. 

Flags, tablecloths, cloaks, sails, burlap, etc. I'll often make teach leg a different color too, seamed up the butt with those massive seam lines.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

For mine i did a set of heraldry - I chose orange and white because i'm part dutch, but mainly because the bright popping palette was a big part of the warhammer appeal to me, as it seems to bring it to life and breathe warmth into the setting.

my ironguts for example have stripey trousers while my bulls have half-sections, yet to decide what I will give my tyrant - generally i only added gold decor and baubles to the ironguts to signify a bit of elitism, and gave their captain a gold helmet to make him stand out even more!

Hope the images are lit well enough! They look a lot better at a further distance luckily!

bullguts.jpg.6eb89e0898a7b356f46be035ff638b63.jpgbullguts2.jpg.9473e23ed1d5a9932bb3e2359f85063c.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hi guys,

yesterday I received the news that I can get the Gutbusters Army from WHFB of an friend of mine tommorow. It´s a little bit of an dream come true and I am actually already looking a bit into the rules for Gutbusters. I have a little question about the alligience for gutbusters. From what I see we can either play them as a GA:Destruction Army, with Artifacts and "Free Allies" (Yeah, Aleguzzer Gargants!) or as Gutbuster Alligience which grants us better Battlelines (Ironguts can be even more awesome this way :D). Did I got that part right? Or is a Mix possible?

Also, do you have any advice for the first games? As they most propably will be against Spell-Heavy Idoneth Deepkin and Nighthaunt I am a bit afraid of all that magic going on. Ogre-Stats look incredible offensively but can they handle all that magic well? Especially with thoose pesky Idoneth -1 to Hit Terrorwaves?

4 hours ago, Charleston said:

Hi guys,

yesterday I received the news that I can get the Gutbusters Army from WHFB of an friend of mine tommorow. It´s a little bit of an dream come true and I am actually already looking a bit into the rules for Gutbusters. I have a little question about the alligience for gutbusters. From what I see we can either play them as a GA:Destruction Army, with Artifacts and "Free Allies" (Yeah, Aleguzzer Gargants!) or as Gutbuster Alligience which grants us better Battlelines (Ironguts can be even more awesome this way :D). Did I got that part right? Or is a Mix possible?

Also, do you have any advice for the first games? As they most propably will be against Spell-Heavy Idoneth Deepkin and Nighthaunt I am a bit afraid of all that magic going on. Ogre-Stats look incredible offensively but can they handle all that magic well? Especially with thoose pesky Idoneth -1 to Hit Terrorwaves?

Yes, you got that right. Leadbelchers/Ironguts as battleline if you stick to guts. Note that you can still take allies though, you are just restricted to 20% of your total points and no more than one in every four units. So you can get Gargants in if you want them. Alternatively take from the Destruction a la carte. Either way, at the moment, you’re choosing from Destruction command traits and Destruction or Realm artefacts.

Idoneth and nighthaunt are both tough match ups for the Gutbusters, because, on the one hand we don’t like -to hit, and on the other we rely on rend. Don’t forget your efficient blobs of 12 ogors, take butchers, and counter-charge threats with tooled-up tyrants. Some Grot screens might help too, especially against fast charging units.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:21 PM, DestructionFranz said:

Any news about new Ogors Battletome? We really need it. Let's make our voice heard to GW. 

Who wants the NEW OGORS battletome, please, ask for it! 

Let's submerge the forum! 

All rumors and conjecture at this stage.  Lot of people seem to be hopeful, mostly that we’ll see either a combined Ogors+BCR book, or a separate Ogor book that rolls Gutbuster, Firebelly, and Maneater together. I personally hope for Ogor and BCR to remain different factions.

5 minutes ago, FPC said:

All rumors and conjecture at this stage.  Lot of people seem to be hopeful, mostly that we’ll see either a combined Ogors+BCR book, or a separate Ogor book that rolls Gutbuster, Firebelly, and Maneater together. I personally hope for Ogor and BCR to remain different factions.

Personally, I will take literally anything I can get. I'm easy.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Fair. Anything that makes Ogors playable would be nice. Look at Gloomspite. You can play all goblin, all squig, all trolls, or anywhere in between. Wouldn’t be bad to have all those options in the Ogor sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FPC said:

1 hour ago, Walrustaco said:

1 hour ago, FPC said:

Fair. Anything that makes Ogors playable would be nice. Look at Gloomspite. You can play all goblin, all squig, all trolls, or anywhere in between. Wouldn’t be bad to have all those options in the Ogor sense.

To be honest, after Gloomspite, I tend to agree. Whereas I would like to retain Gutbusters as an individual faction with an individual flavour (and the same for BCR), this is essentially still true for dankhold, squigs, etc. And I have separate armies for each of those, it doesn’t harm anything that I can also field the whole lot together. Like a mini alliance, really. Key bit is that each has their own command abilities, artefacts, etc. The only thing that doesn’t quite fit is the terrain piece, but that works better for skaven. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t holding out hope for a maw pit though :) 

Edited by Baron Wastelands
  • Like 1

I had my first Gutbuster Game on Friday. We had to stop after two Rounds as we were playing a quite massive 3 Player match which was ruled out to be played on 3 Tabled simultaneously (<-is this a real word? And if, have I written it right?). We played on 3 Tables with 48"x24", each short Edge beeing connected to another table alowing the movement between the different tables. Each table was it´s own Realm, with Ghur, Ghyran and Shyish beeing involved. Lorewise this was an anomaly that occurs from time to time on the boarders of the realms: An giant world-eating snake/worm/drake who devoured parts of these realms at the same time while biting into its own "tail" created this weird endless shape which consists of three realms. Our Armies were trapped inside and had to fight over objectives in the middle of each realm which were the save spots which won´t get teared apart once the worldwyrm stops his cycle.

I played against Nighthaunt and Idoneth as expected. My List consisted from the following:
Tyrrant with great Club, Name: 3+ Save (The "nameless Tyrrant", Artifact: Battlebrew-thingy from Destruction Alligience)
Ninja (Tyrant with 2 Swords (I used the maneater modell as I liked it more, General with the "Might is right" Trait for +1 to Wound))

9 Ironguts
6 Leadbelchers
9 Ogors
1 Ironblaster
4 Allied Mournfang Riders

As we had to split up the set up zone on two tables I places mournfangs, the nameless Tyrrant and the Ironguts on one table against the Idoneth (consisting out of 2 Tidecasters, Lotann and 2x10 or 20 Reavers) and the rest on the other table against the nighthaunts (having 20 Chainrasps, 9 of these Scythe-Thingies, Olyander, Kurdos and the other heroes from the Soul Wars Set against me). I got to start and moved the mournfangs and ogors onto the mission Objectives scoring 2 VP. The Ironblaster missed the Scythe-Things which I shot because I thought it was an even squad out of 10 models, so missed the reroll here. Despite of this I got no chance for charging. I placed my Ogors pretty bad so Ninja couldn´t make them immune to morale, whilst the Ironguts got the whole 3 MW from my Tyrant. During my enemies turn I received a Prismatic Pallisade right in front of my Leadbelchers and Ironblaster and Shackles and the Purple Sun right into my Tyrrant/Mournfangs from the Idoneth. Beeing unable to do anything against magic really hurts but I hadn´t enough to ally in the Firebelly AND the mournfangs and also don´t have any Butcher models. Idoneth managed to kill 2 Mournfangs (by fire and charging the mournfangs, which killed his first squad of reavers right away in return) and an Irongut, Nighthaunt killed 4 Ogors and made 3 further run away. Due to bad placement I got to hit with Ninja against Olyander, killing her right away. Damn, I love this Model, and 6 Hits on a rerollable 3+ which wound on a 2+ with 2 Damage are just awesome! In my turn the Leadbelchers moved around the palisade and charged a knight of shrouds while Ninja got to kill some chainrasps. Which actually didn´t got as plannes as he managed to save 4 out of 5 Wounds and got even one deathless minion save, so only one chainrasp died. On the other table my tyrrant charged into the remaining squad of reivers, my mournfangs got to charge Lotann and a tidecaster and the ironguts moved onto the objective. I killed the reivers, getting more modells to sequre the objective, Lotann killed a Mournfang and got blasted afterwards. The Nighthaunts cleaned the remaining ogors and half of the leadbelchers.

We called the game after this round as it got really late. The Nighthaunt and Idoneth Players got to finish their turns because at that point the last objective would decide if we had a draw with 3 VP for each, or Nighthaunt winning with 4VP vs mine 3VP and Idoneth with 2VP.  Nighthaunt managed to win the game in the end.

All in all it was a quite fun game, althrough I had some sad moments. Beeing unable to dispell magic is quite hard, especially when both players turn their mages not against each other but against me :'D Yet the Army hits like a brick, the Tyrrants both had awesome moments and rolls beiing worth any single point. Sadly Ogors really run away as soon as they got an oppurtunity to do so which means for me: Better Babysitting next time. I didn´t had any chance to use my Leadbelchers propperly but won´t say they are bad right now.

Idoneth as enemy are quite okay, I was able to table the reivers because they were unlucky with their shooting and also came way too close. Nighthaunts were a bit frustrating as all my rend was useless. Also that 4+/6++ is quite annoing. But it was my first game against them, so no wonder I didn´t saw any spots how to deal with them in a propper way. I guess I will go for Khorne for the next game as I didn´t had the opporutnity to test the new BT. But I will get another SC! of Beastclaws as I really like them so far and hope for a mixed Battletome in the Future!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

To be honest, after Gloomspite, I tend to agree. Whereas I would like to retain Gutbusters as an individual faction with an individual flavour (and the same for BCR), this is essentially still true for dankhold, squigs, etc. And I have separate armies for each of those, it doesn’t harm anything that I can also field the whole lot together. Like a mini alliance, really. Key bit is that each has their own command abilities, artefacts, etc. The only thing that doesn’t quite fit is the terrain piece, but that works better for skaven. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t holding out hope for a maw pit though :)

This. I play Gloomspite, but have no interest in trolls (which I refuse to call Troggoths). But have a lot of grots, and would love to get a bunch of squigs.

If they provided unique abilities for each Ogor allegiance, or one that has multiple effects on different units like Gloomspite, that would be awesome. A spell lore or 2 (generic ogors and firebellues?), maybe a new unit or two, though that’s not even entirely necessary.

Would be cool to see a true BCR wizard and spell lore.  I’d always really like to see a firebelly unit, but I’m not sure if that’s in the lore.

4 minutes ago, FPC said:

Would be cool to see a true BCR wizard and spell lore.  I’d always really like to see a firebelly unit, but I’m not sure if that’s in the lore.

With BCR, you could easily give huskards prayers, and something like judgements if you wanted to. 

As for firebellies, let’s be honest, they weren’t in the lore first time ;) Someone made a fire breathing ogre model, and they came up with hokey fluff about eating volcanos. So wouldn’t be hard to do it again :) 

So just curious what people think of my list (not fully collected yet but the plan so far) - The general idea is to have the bulls to soak up damage with Bully Of The First Degree plastered on them for bravery, and using the ironguts to provide the killing charge

I chose two smaller ranks of guts so they would run away a lot less as a larger unit has more to lose and it doesn't at that scale seem to have any particular benefit! I haven't played a match yet as I haven't collected enough minis, so am happy for any tips or advice

Tyrant (160)
- General
- Pair of Clubs, Bashers or Slicers
3 x Ironguts (180)
3 x Ironguts (180)
12 x Ogors (400)
- Pairs of Ogor Clubs or Blades

Total: 920 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 80

1 hour ago, BalborBullguts said:

So just curious what people think of my list (not fully collected yet but the plan so far) - The general idea is to have the bulls to soak up damage with Bully Of The First Degree plastered on them for bravery, and using the ironguts to provide the killing charge

I chose two smaller ranks of guts so they would run away a lot less as a larger unit has more to lose and it doesn't at that scale seem to have any particular benefit! I haven't played a match yet as I haven't collected enough minis, so am happy for any tips or advice

Tyrant (160)
- General
3 x Ironguts (180)
3 x Ironguts (180)
12 x Ogors (400)

Total: 920 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 80

Sound plan. For the extra 80 pts, I’d ally in 4 frost sabres, I think; or a gorger if you want to stay pure Gutbusters. If you find you lack magic, you could always swap out one unit of ironguts instead, and add a butcher plus 3 ogors. Ogors aren’t as hard hitting, but can still deal with non-armoured targets, especially on the charge, and the butcher buffs can help all. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Sound plan. For the extra 80 pts, I’d ally in 4 frost sabres, I think; or a gorger if you want to stay pure Gutbusters. If you find you lack magic, you could always swap out one unit of ironguts instead, and add a butcher plus 3 ogors. Ogors aren’t as hard hitting, but can still deal with non-armoured targets, especially on the charge, and the butcher buffs can help all. 

Yeah that sounds reasonable - I am basically not using most models which aren't some form of ogre or if they are a butcher since i find the sculpt unsettling haha, the list is pretty fluffy anyway so i'm aiming more to put up a good battle and have a fair chance of winning in casual bouts more than being to aimed at beating the daylights out of other lists mechanically!

In larger lists I'm planning to ally in some mournfang cav to really spice up the variety and to be perfectly candid they will hit like a sodding truck! I am very very conflicted on whether or not I should get leadbelchers though as I'm not sure if I can afford to have that big risk of chunky amounts of points and woundage running away...

On 4/7/2019 at 3:36 PM, Baron Wastelands said:

The most important thing is that the GW make Ogors and BCR  competitive against new Skaven, DoK, new FEC ecc...that's no reason to be so under considered by GW. 😞 sigh 

• Like 1

So here’s my dilemma.

Can I, without adding to my models, get a semi decent build out if the units I have in my existing Ogres list?

No tournament play, and for now, playing people that are all new to the game like me.

I have the following to play around with:

3 Tyrant/Bruisers (2Hand, Great Weapon, BSB), 2 Slaughter/Butchers, 16 Ogres, 8 Ironguts, 7 Leadbelchers, 50 Gnoblars, Scraplauncher, Ironblaster. And I have 4 Mournfang, which I guess I would be allying in..

Are Gnoblars even under their banner any more? Or in Destruction somewhere anyway?

Thanks for any help and advice!

28 minutes ago, Danny76 said:

So here’s my dilemma.

Can I, without adding to my models, get a semi decent build out if the units I have in my existing Ogres list?

No tournament play, and for now, playing people that are all new to the game like me.

3 Tyrant/Bruisers (2Hand, Great Weapon, BSB), 2 Slaughter/Butchers, 16 Ogres, 8 Ironguts, 7 Leadbelchers, 50 Gnoblars, Scraplauncher, Ironblaster. And I have 4 Mournfang, which I guess I would be allying in..

Are Gnoblars even under their banner any more? Or in Destruction somewhere anyway?

Yes you can! What points level will you be playing?

54 minutes ago, Danny76 said:

So here’s my dilemma.

Allegiance: Gutbusters
Leaders
Tyrant (160)
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogor Club
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver

Battleline
12 x Ogors (400)
3 x Ogors (120)
- Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
9 x Ironguts (540) (put your BSB in here to make 9, that's a legacy model that wasn't really carried over.)
6 x Leadbelchers (280) (drop 1 to make squad legal)

Units
40 x Grots (200) (drop 10 for legal)
1 x Grot Scraplauncher (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
- Allies

Total: 2700 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 232

That's a lot of points with which to make a solid army. Some stuff like the artillery is less favourable, so some might suggest dropping them both. We also tend to find leadbelchers quite lacklustre.

Big 12 man bull units are strong and 6 man iron gut units are too.