AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

14 hours ago, Moonlightwolf said:

I feel like some of the more subtle changes aren't really going to be appreciated yet. look out sir + the ability to regenerate makes them one of the more durable wizards in the game, combine that with way more spells to cast and I think they might really come into their own.

Defo- I think the meta will start to be about sniping wizards much more now, and with LOS and regeneration butchers are probably going to be the ardest wizards around

• Like 1

I took the fat lads to a tournament at the weekend (Ardfists in Melbourne): went 2-3 which I was quite happy with considering.

My list was Tyrant and 3x Butchers, 12 Ogors, 3x Leabelchers, 3x Leabelchers, 10 Grots, 2 Gargants and 2 Ironblasters.  1980 points and I did remember my Triumph a couple of times!  Although not every time, obviously.

Defeats were Stormcast (Aetherstrike), Khorne (Murderhost) and Daughters of Khaine (Hagg Nar).  Victories were against Slaanesh and Tzeetch (Tzaangor Coven with LOC and Gaunty).  

Tzeentch is actually a really good matchup for Gutties, for the reasons I discussed on Page 1.  Gaunty will enjoy zapping a unit of 60 Grots, but since I didn't have one, I was fine.  And Ogors love smashing that multiple damage through bad armour saves.

The block of 12 Ogors was consistently powerful (only 1 game were they did nothing, because DOK just went straight through them in 1 round of combat.  Not much we can do against that unfortunately).  I was even quite pleased with the Gargants, because although they were dicey (as expected), having a couple of them in there you start to get a decent chance of some of the Headbutts / Kicks getting through each turn.

The artillery was interesting, although I explained to people how bad it was, they still kept targetting it.  I guess it looks impressive, and D6 damage means "it can and therefore will do 6 damage to me".  9 wounds on a 4+ save makes them a decent sponge - I am now an agnostic.  Although when you look at what other factions can get for 280 points (or even 60x Grots), they are still a poor deal really.  Those models though...

Going into 2.0, I'm planning on giving these guys a real go, and seeing what the Realm stuff can do for them.  I quite fancy a 9-man Ironguts death squad, maybe backed up by a coven of Fungoid Cave Shamans.  I also want a 60-block of Grots, but it will be hard to let the 12 Ogors go.  

What are other people thinking of running in 2.0?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Going into 2.0, I'm planning on giving these guys a real go, and seeing what the Realm stuff can do for them.  I quite fancy a 9-man Ironguts death squad, maybe backed up by a coven of Fungoid Cave Shamans.  I also want a 60-block of Grots, but it will be hard to let the 12 Ogors go.  

What are other people thinking of running in 2.0?

Good going! Love to see the Ironblasters getting some love, even as distractions. 

It's probably hilariously inefficient but I reckon gordrakk plus 9 Ironguts with their buff on and +1 to hit from a butcher would be a laugh. 45 attacks at 3+/3+/-1/3 rerolling one's to hit would put a dent in anything. 

• Like 1

Had a 2k points game using the rules of 2.0. No new edition spells or artifacts yet as I don't have the book. 

Fought an Archaon led Nurgle force with 40 plague rats, 3 Varanguard, DP general, 2 units of 5 warriors, 5 Knights, 20 Marauders.  Plague tree set up right in middle of table.

Quite the opposite of my opponents grind me down lists. This one had significant punch to it.

I ran the same list I've been working on that I posted last page. 60 Grots tied up Archaon for a couple rounds. 12 Ogors destroyed the rats in one combat phase. Lost a couple Ogors. The Varanguard on the charge decimated 10 Ogors using their once a game ability.  Killed 8, had no command point for battleshock. 12 Ogors with Butcher back up on the left flank ground through the Knights and the two units of chaos warriors to get into his back objective.

After losing the other Ogors, lost my general Tyrant but still had one Butcher alive and six Beltchers. They were able to clear off what was left. All he had at the end of 4 was Archaon and Festus.

Liking the way the list is lasting considerably longer during games. Feel like I'm still in games come turn 3 or 4 and not praying for a decent cauldron roll and charge. A lot more play testing in scheduled so we will see how it goes.

• Like 4

What is your opinion on Ironguts? I've been running them as allies in BCR in various combinations (6 ironguts, 3+3maneaters,3+40 grots,3+ironblaster) and everytime they seem underwhelming...most ive gotten from them is the psychological factor of oponents not wanting to fight such "elite" infantry.

Edited by EddieWouldGo

It also costs to paint with texture and so on and it costs time :( 12 Ogors are not like useful anymore as before, when a model isn't within 1" loses 3 attacks and damage 2, 40mm was hard and now 50mm is harder.. which is a big minus.

What I get and what my summary says about Gutbusters in 2018: Ogors have been nerfed and Ironguts are now better when range 2" has become more useful.

Edited by Overtyrant of Destruction
  • Like 2

Morning,

Whilst I sold on my Gutbusters a while back, I had rebased them all on 40mm bases within the exceptions of Maneaters and Characters that went on 50mm bases. All my rebasing thus far has gone off the GW photos (If the models have not been repacked) and all the Ogors, Leadbelchers and Ironguts have definitely been depicted on 40mm's.

This seems like a solid nerf to the army in terms of gameplay, let alone the time and financial concerns associated with (more) rebasing. A sad day for the big lads :( 

I definitely wish you well with your petitioning. My suggestion would certainly be for sensible, politely reasoned e-mails as opposed to Facebook rage!

• Like 3