AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 hours ago, Gotrek said:

Anyone got info on the spiderfang artifacts? I found the command traits kinda disappointing since only the scuttleboss can take them

is this correct? Your going to want to run the A'rock for the +2 bravery bubble. I can't see me ever getting command trait :(

51 minutes ago, Fisher KIng said:

I see myself taking the totem of the spider god on my A'rock to buff the main body of the army and start the moon on my opponents side of the board to rain mortals and buff my Skitterstrands.   

Pretty much. That and the helm of many eyes are the best choices. I just can't help but feel like the spiders were just bolted on to an otherwise moonclan book, at first glance it seems like they get all the cool toys.

I've been going back through the units in this book and I think the Spider Rider buffs are a lot bigger than they seem to be.

With their standard, they're now getting a +2 bravery bonus all the time rather than when there are no enemies nearby. That combined with the Webspinner Shaman general giving them +2 bravery, they have an effective bravery of 8 on multiwound models - they're going to need to effectively not save 6 wounds before they even begin to run, whereas before a light breeze would have you potentially removing several models a turn.

That combined with them always having a 5+ save (rather than when there were more than 5 models) and increasing their movement to 10" - I'd say they're worth their points.

• Like 3

On the topic of spiderfang specific generals to make the spiders battleline do we feel that any of the command traits specifically out class the bravery aura that would come with making a webspinner arachnarok the general? Whilst the extra movement or toxin on the scuttleboss is nice the sheer size of the bravery aura on the archnarok to my mind makes it the more obvious choice for general even if it does mean forfeiting a command trait.

6 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

On the topic of spiderfang specific generals to make the spiders battleline do we feel that any of the command traits specifically out class the bravery aura that would come with making a webspinner arachnarok the general? Whilst the extra movement or toxin on the scuttleboss is nice the sheer size of the bravery aura on the archnarok to my mind makes it the more obvious choice for general even if it does mean forfeiting a command trait.

You're going to have so many extra CP if you build your list with a Fungoid Cave Shaman in it.  I played a game Wednesday with all the new rules and I ended the game with 5 CP in the bank and didn't take a battleshock test the entire game.

What I'm getting at is the scuttleboss on gigantic spider is the correct choice as your general

• Like 1

Well before I was having a lot of success with a big block of 20 to absorb buffs  and a few groups of 5 to harass and grab objectives. However now you can get more than one group, on a good casting roll, with the spell and the 5+ venom is ether an aura or effects board zones maybe smaller groups to protect from battleshock misshapes.  Having said that bravery is not the issue it once was.   

7 minutes ago, Fisher KIng said:

don't you have to pick one weapon? which one would you go for? I think I would put it on the Skitterboss's spear.

i was thinking the crooked spears? it would be 10 attacks, that would be the most effeciant way right? and if you getthe re-rolls that might be alot of damage for an otherwise pretty bad weapon.

Edited by mmmbbb3

1 hour ago, Fisher KIng said:

the A'rock with shaman Still has 8 spear attacks. Still would be good.

Crew are now counted in a similar manner to mount, does the rule that prevents mounts benefiting from command traits also apply to artifacts? In which case you'd only be able to assign it to the weapon of the Shaman himself.

• Thanks 1

Wheedled the book out of my local store a day early. Yay! Pulled out all my Spiderfang in preparation for a game this weekend. I've already put a couple Webspinners from the Arachnaroks I modeled with flingers onto 25mm bases, plan on painting those this weekend.  I currently have 4 Webspinner Arachnarok, does anyone see a reason why we would need more than 2 now?