AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

23 hours ago, Larkspur said:

My wife and I are looking to get into AoS. She has settled on Idoneth Deepkin, and I’m looking at going with spiderfang gtots.  The models are pretty cool and I like the idea of an all cavalry army. Before starting, I had a few questions:

1. Since this is an army without a book, it seems like it might be missing a lot of the bells and whistles that other armies have. Will my spiders be able to have fun games against Idoneth (no total domination on either side)? My wife plans to play an eel/shark army.

Your wife will beat you like a drum. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So after watching the teaser for the new grot faction..I’m almost positive spiderfang are in gw new book!!!

They speak of spiderfang beliefs of what the bad moon is (it’s actually a giant spider egg that will hatch and cover the world in spiders) and very clearly a arachnarok at the entrance to the cave and spider riders fighting along side grots in the animation. 

70688BF7-05C0-488B-BB6A-EB6CBE0061AE.png

4910DAEE-FE45-4CFC-B04F-68D05C231DC2.png

6338D73F-8399-4547-8E6E-BBBE8A3EFCA0.png

So how do we feel about Gloomspite Gitz? The evidence would point towards us being rolled in to the new faction. This could mean new rules, new models even and not having to depend on the 400 points of allies to make up our short comings. What concerns me (slightly, I am so hipyed for new stuff) is the loss of our individual. I was hoping for a all Spiderfang tome with new units and cool toys of our very own. I feel that Spiderfang has a rich and unique favour to draw from. Hopefully this will be a BoC style book that will let you build a mono spider list if you want to. 

I think at this point GW has their stride in releasing a nice mixture of what we want and what we didn't expect. If they don't know by now that we want to have specific faction identity in the combined style tome, then they have their head under a rock. I am giving the benefit of the doubt on this one because i fell they have been waiting on this one to see how the community at large reacted to prior releases because they know the love grots in general have and they don't want to ****** the pooch on this release. 

I haven't been this excited about anything released in years. Hype level over 9000. I hope they make it super-charged and we take the meta by storm. The answer to wyches and Nagash is gunna be the green swarm bc eff you thats what grots do!! Poor gitz have NEVER been on top tier and yet they are still one of the most loyal and passionate fanbase in the whole hobby. IT IS TIME GW!!!

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Spider venom will deal mortal wounds on 5s if in the same quarter of the board that the bad moon terrain piece.    I assume this means a change to grot big boss on gigantic spiders command ability.

quite likely....also when da bad moon is in the center of the table the whole battlefield gets the bonus......tee hee!!!

17 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Spider venom will deal mortal wounds on 5s if in the same quarter of the board that the bad moon terrain piece.    I assume this means a change to grot big boss on gigantic spiders command ability.

Interesting to note that it says 6+ and 5+. Not the standard for AoS 2 which is natural rolls of 6. This means -1 to hits will still be devastating to us but if we can find a +1 to hit from somewhere (rare in destruction outside of the selfish Iron Jaws) where in the money! Wonder how this will work with the bosses command ability? I assumed he would be going away being fine cast and all but he’s very clearly in the picture in this article. Mortals on a 4+ anyone? 

13 minutes ago, mmmbbb3 said:

may i ask if the undergrund, flank reserve spider is New? And also what is with the scuttleboss on foot in the spider fang box? He has a warscroll as if he is on a mount. And is it just me or did they update the finger? 

It depends on what you mean by "new".  There continues to be the same 3 model kits for Spiderfang: The Arachnarok kit, the Spider Rider kit, and the finecast Giant Spider Boss kit.

What you can field out of them has changed; there are some brand new options, and even most of the previous warscrolls have been updated from the Grand Alliance: Destruction versions.

Arachnarok kit:

• Spider with Flinger
  • Spider with Crew
  • Spider with Shaman
  • Spider all by itself
  • Shaman on Foot

Giant Spider Boss kit:

• Scuttleboss

Spider Rider kit:

• Spider Riders

I'll be playing spiderfang at CanCon at the end of the month with a list focused around 3 arachnaroks and a buffed up scuttleboss on gigantic spider.

The skitterstrand nest battalion (2-3 skitterstrand arachnaroks) coupled with chronomantic cogs is going to be really good.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

28 minutes ago, mcbrain said:

I'll be playing spiderfang at CanCon at the end of the month with a list focused around 3 arachnaroks and a buffed up scuttleboss on gigantic spider.

The skitterstrand nest battalion (2-3 skitterstrand arachnaroks) coupled with chronomantic cogs is going to be really good.

Will you be taking any Stabbas or Shootas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

Will you be taking any Stabbas or Shootas?

Yeah man, gotta take some stabbas as they’re the most efficient way to pay the battleline tax. So two blocks of 20 stabbas with netters and a unit of 25 spider riders will be my battleline. 

Webspinner on Arachnarok 

Fungoid Cave Shaman

Skitterstrand Arachnarok x2

Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider 

Chronomantic Cogs

Arachnacauldron

1 hour ago, mcbrain said:

Yeah man, gotta take some stabbas as they’re the most efficient way to pay the battleline tax. So two blocks of 20 stabbas with netters and a unit of 25 spider riders will be my battleline. 

Webspinner on Arachnarok 

Fungoid Cave Shaman

Skitterstrand Arachnarok x2

Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider 

Chronomantic Cogs

Arachnacauldron

Good man! will you be taking the Skitterstrand battalion? I for one would love to get a report of how you do. So excited to see how our 8 legged friends do now. 

16 minutes ago, trarux said:

do we know what the new batallions will do ? is there any favorit ? 

Skitterstrand Nest (2-3 Skitterstrand Arachnaroks) gives you +1 to charge when your spiders ambush on the same turn. 

Spider Rider Skitterswarm (0-1 Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider, 3+ spider riders) gives the battalion +2 movements

Arachnarok Spider Cluster (2-4 arachnaroks with flingers or spiderfang warparties in any combo 0-1 skitterstrand arachnaroks) lets you reroll hit rolls of 1 while within 6” of another member of the battalion. 

Clear favorite for me is skitterstrand. I’m sure the spider rider battalion has legs, but it’s 180 points and the units are quite expensive considering you get the best mileage out of bigger blocks of spiders. 

7 hours ago, Fisher KIng said:

Good man! will you be taking the Skitterstrand battalion? I for one would love to get a report of how you do. So excited to see how our 8 legged friends do now. 

Yeah absolutely taking the skitterstrand. Hoping the battalion plus Cogs lets me threaten backfields real hard. 

14 hours ago, mmmbbb3 said:

May i ask what the spider cost, and if we got some new point prices? 

Shamans on arachnarok are 300

Boss on giant spider is 100

Spider riders are 100 for 5. 540 for 30

Ambush arachnarok is 260

Arachnarok with flinger is 270

Arachnarok with war party is 250

Shaman on foot is 80

Battalions are 100-120

• Like 1