AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, novakai said:

you could do it in a mixed destruction army thought since they are destruction battleline units

Yes but at that point I would need 3 units of moonclan or other destruction battleline. That seems like a waste of points to me for a spiderfang army. 

Thinking 40-60 spiders is going to be where I land for 2k so i will go with spiderfang allegiance and allies. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@Lord_Skrolk I dont think your list is "legal." Because Fungoid cave shamne must be your general in order to use command ability, and he cant be your general in a spiderfang army. Just something I wanted to point out as an unfortunate loss of a tactic I noticed when building lists. not meant to "call you out" in any way.

You would be correct in general, but the Malign Portents heroes are treated differently--they are unique Heroes in that they can always be chosen as the general. But you are right that he has to be designated as the general, so thanks for the reminder. Attached a screenshot that hopefully will clear things up 

Kd9iQyV.png

Thanks @Lord_Skrolk for that information! I never bought the MalPo book. Well look at that! So In a SPIDERFANG army, the fungoid cave shamen CAN be the general, but wouldn't be able to take artefacts or command trait. We would lose out on a command trait as he has to be the general to use the command ability. But GBBoGS could still use his command ability. . but cant be given a command trait because he wouldn't be the general..

So the question becomes is the fungoid cave shaman's command ability good enough to sacrifice the command traits available to us? I LOVE jumping into new armies and theory crafting :D (which I assume we use the GA destruction command traits... even though we arent allegiant to DESTRUCTION??)

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 9:09 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Thanks @Lord_Skrolk for that information! I never bought the MalPo book. Well look at that! So In a SPIDERFANG army, the fungoid cave shamen CAN be the general, but wouldn't be able to take artefacts or command trait. We would lose out on a command trait as he has to be the general to use the command ability. But GBBoGS could still use his command ability. . but cant be given a command trait because he wouldn't be the general..

So the question becomes is the fungoid cave shaman's command ability good enough to sacrifice the command traits available to us? I LOVE jumping into new armies and theory crafting :D (which I assume we use the GA destruction command traits... even though we arent allegiant to DESTRUCTION??)

He should be able to take artifacts/command traits, since you'd be taking stuff from destruction allegiance, which he qualifies for.

He would not be able to take spiderfang specific command traits/artifacts, however. So if that ever becomes a thing, he'd lose out entirely.

Until that time.. Go nuts ;)

6 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Ok so what is the "go to" command trait? 

Bellowing Tyrant if using fungoid general, because it gives +2 threat range to the unit the buff is put on, with command ability. 

If using a spider hero then I still like Bellowing Tyrant just for the +2 bravery buff on spider riders. 

I cant see why spiderfang armies WOULDNT use the Fungoid shamen as the general. I mean for 80 points being able to run and charge is HUGE.. especially with a natural +2 to run (+3 with bellowing tyrant). I'm sorry for the constant post spamming. This is all new (and exciting for me).

Decided on the realm of ghur for my army. Started making lots of over the top rocky bases to represent the harsh, spiteful landscape of the realm. Going to convert some trapdoor spiders by cutting the spider in half right where the grot sits. Keep the front legs and face with a greenstuff trap door over the top. I need to get a hold of a couple of the grots that are grasping at the ground from the 40k big mek shokk attack gun (pictured below) as if the spider decided to snack on his grot companion :D I figured I could use the back end of the spider diving head first into an open area as if it is burrowing into the ground! Most of the other spiders will be pinned almost mid air as if leaping from, onto, or over the rocky bases shown below. 30/45 done!

41965063_10105723138012432_736314586042466304_n.jpg

SAGMek1.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I cant see why spiderfang armies WOULDNT use the Fungoid shamen as the general. I mean for 80 points being able to run and charge is HUGE.. especially with a natural +2 to run (+3 with bellowing tyrant). I'm sorry for the constant post spamming. This is all new (and exciting for me).

On the new maps the threat range doesnt need to be so long (18 instead of 24 inch), and you can get that by other means than fungoid (cogs, destruction move, realm spells, Gordrakk, etc.). Personally I tend to just sit on objectives rather than charge to enemy anyway. 

Edited by Sheriff
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys. Busted open the venom clan box I'd been sitting on for a while.  Have sub assembled arachnarok spider and howdah for painting. have not attached any goblins or options to the howdah. 

I want to build the shrine with the shaman. I noticed basically the same structure is used in the back when building the slinger.  Has anyone built the spiderweb shrine in the back? (no slinger)  it's hard to tell if I prefer it just holding pieces up, dont want to glue anything yet. Hoping someone has a pic to share? 

Edited by sorokyl

I think they were mentioned earlier in the thread but I have hopes the scuttlings from silver tower become Battleline for the spiderfangs. I am crazy for this faction and have put together 4 bosses on giant spiders, 4 x 5 spider riders and 4 x 10 scuttling  squads as a base. A-roks when I can afford them. 

I emailed GW about bringing them into the fold but not much came from that. Their warscroll for the scuttlings doesn’t even show up on Azyr. 

I just searched GW Canada and I can’t even find the silver tower game anymore. The only place were the warscroll was available. 

Hopefully im doing something wrong in my search but I could wel be out of date. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 12:55 PM, Artobans Ghost said:

I think they were mentioned earlier in the thread but I have hopes the scuttlings from silver tower become Battleline for the spiderfangs. I am crazy for this faction and have put together 4 bosses on giant spiders, 4 x 5 spider riders and 4 x 10 scuttling  squads as a base. A-roks when I can afford them. 

I emailed GW about bringing them into the fold but not much came from that. Their warscroll for the scuttlings doesn’t even show up on Azyr. 

I just searched GW Canada and I can’t even find the silver tower game anymore. The only place were the warscroll was available. 

Hopefully im doing something wrong in my search but I could wel be out of date. 

Scuttlings warscroll is still on the GW website archive (find via google) but dont think they ever had points for matched play, so youd have to use them as normal grots, which come in 20 model units, so run 2x20 or one 40 model unit.

Edited by stato

• 3 weeks later...

One of the more interesting things I find about this faction from the few games I've played is that its all about timing and targets. You've got to be agressive with your Riders since their shooting isnt great (its more of a neat addition that can ping an odd wound off) and their saves are bad, the extra wound doing a better job lol. But you have to pick targets that your sure you can delete in a turn or two since due to said poor saves and awkward base sizes protracted combat leads to dead  riders. 

Big Bosses are generally support since their better in combat but their command ability is a lynchpin so you dont want to throw them in willynilly.  

I haven't used an A-Rock yet (Only smaller games atm) but their of a similar principle to the Big Boss only MUCH more durable thanks to 14 wounds.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 10:07 AM, stato said:

Scuttlings warscroll is still on the GW website archive (find via google) but dont think they ever had points for matched play, so youd have to use them as normal grots, which come in 20 model units, so run 2x20 or one 40 model unit.

Awesome! I dredged eBay for 40 of them. Will use as grots w/bows as some of them have bows, single and double slittas. 

Anyone tried using a Rogue Idol with their Spiderfang force?

At 400 points he's pricey but seems like a great fit. He gives +1 to casting rolls and +1 to bravery to all Grot units so he can buff all of our units. And is a nice beatstick to either tank damage or punish the opponent for focusing down our Arachnaroks instead

I also think it's excellent in the Rule of Cool category, can't wait to put some webs all over those boulders :)

16 minutes ago, mcbrain said:

If I want to run spiders to supplement my Moonclan, how many should I look at getting?  I've only got 10 at the moment, but I'll probably be picking up at least one more Battle for Skull Pass set before the upcoming release.

Careful with Battle for Skull pass, Although it can be a good deal on grots (only a good deal if you have use for or sell the dwarves), it doesn't have netters.  You're also forced a specific mix of bows.   IMO better off with boxes of grots.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Careful with Battle for Skull pass, Although it can be a good deal on grots (only a good deal if you have use for or sell the dwarves), it doesn't have netters.  You're also forced a specific mix of bows.   IMO better off with boxes of grots.  

Yeah, I've bought one already and I'm now on the hunt for netters.  It's not a fun process ($$$$).  I was mainly interested in the set for the bodies (spearmen and spiders).

1 minute ago, mcbrain said:

Yeah, I've bought one already and I'm now on the hunt for netters.  It's not a fun process ($$$$).  I was mainly interested in the set for the bodies (spearmen and spiders).

I've been in the same boat, as I'm sure many have.  There's no reason for the 3 net bits to not be used from each box, so it's very hard to find them.... 

on ebay BfSP sells for $150 usually, you can get lucky and find it for 100 maybe. $100 for 60 grots and 10 spiders...    With just as much luck you can get a box of 20 grots for $20.   for 20 grots with the nets.   I'm not convinced BfSP is much of a deal at current prices, again unless you have a good plan for dwaves. 

• Like 1

I got lucky and found one local for about $40NZ that was just the goblin half.  Now I've got to look through my contacts and see if I can find the bloke who sold them to me so I can get more off of him as he said he had tons and tons of goblins he would offload to me.

Anyway, back on subject, would 20 spiders be sufficient? Not sure how they'll work with ally points and such going forward.

3 minutes ago, mcbrain said:

Anyway, back on subject, would 20 spiders be sufficient? Not sure how they'll work with ally points and such going forward.

Well you can only get 20 in as allies anyway however 20 is ok. 30 is better since its a ridiculous horde. However be aware that any more then 10 is a pain to manouver due to the odd base size. 

11 hours ago, mcbrain said:

Yeah, I don't want to go overboard with buying them not knowing if they'll be lumped in with Moonclan or not. (fingers crossed)

Stick with 20 then, its the max you can take and its still quite viable as a fast moving assault or objective holder. Especially since iirc Night Gobbos aren't exactly speedy.

On another note, whats the thoughts on Trolls in a Spiderfang force ?

Edited by Jetengine
  • Like 1

My wife and I are looking to get into AoS. She has settled on Idoneth Deepkin, and I’m looking at going with spiderfang gtots.  The models are pretty cool and I like the idea of an all cavalry army. Before starting, I had a few questions:

1. Since this is an army without a book, it seems like it might be missing a lot of the bells and whistles that other armies have. Will my spiders be able to have fun games against Idoneth (no total domination on either side)? My wife plans to play an eel/shark army.

1. We may try to join an escalating league at our LGS. Starting at 500 points, I was looking at 2x10 spiders and a fungoid cave shaman. Does this seem like a good starting point? I plan to scale into one of the arachnarok spiders when we get more points.