Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Recommended Posts

@Paul Buckler well congrats on the painting! Again it's an amazing army

Always thought of them as part of an army like you said,  A.Spider, Big Boss and a big unit running together amongst other Destruction... Hopefully that'll change soon though

I bet they got loads of attention at Blackout too though?

@froo that's a really great shout, haven't played with Soulsnare Shackles yet, I'm sure it's all in the placement but have you ever found yourself hampered by them after you've put them down? 

Gobbos is an interesting choice, I'm leaving the Riders off the spiders and was thinking putting them on same bases of their own,  would work well with the theme of it all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

but have you ever found yourself hampered by them after you've put them down? 

Sometimes yes, but it only affects your movement characteristic, so one can run if needed, or because movement is after hero phase, I've started dispelling them if I need too (I've only ever done it once to ensure a charge with some riders)

As for dudes on foot, I've seen some people buy bits of the crew from Arachnaroks as their gitmob. I've personally bought the Grot Scuttlers from Silver Tower from a local bits seller on eBay (he still has about 60 available left iirc) - but the riders might work too.

 

Another tarpit could be Snotlings. You can use the little spiders off the Arachnarok kit and mount them on 50mm bases to theme it if you want.

Edited by froo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys,

I was watching Warhammer weekly and when discussing this weeks rumour engine the guys concluded that it was Grots. They thought the bugs were like the one the Fungoid Cave shaman has and that GW maybe steering in to the bug thing for Moonclan. Just say this is true. Could this mean that Spiderfang would be folded in to Moonclan? If so how would people feel about that? Could it mean that it won't be a Moonclan release but a general Grot release with a LoN style tome. or is this just reading a lot in to some maggots coming out of an armpit?

Like me know what you fellow think? What would you like to see?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Fisher KIng said:

Hi Guys,

I was watching Warhammer weekly and when discussing this weeks rumour engine the guys concluded that it was Grots. They thought the bugs were like the one the Fungoid Cave shaman has and that GW maybe steering in to the bug thing for Moonclan. Just say this is true. Could this mean that Spiderfang would be folded in to Moonclan? If so how would people feel about that? Could it mean that it won't be a Moonclan release but a general Grot release with a LoN style tome. or is this just reading a lot in to some maggots coming out of an armpit?

Like me know what you fellow think? What would you like to see?

I don't think they are going to merge the range since GW has been a bit adamant about keeping their army ranges separate as of late and I think Spiderfang have potential to be their own army distinct from Moonclan. the rumor mongering seems to strongly hint at a Moonclan release and not a General Grot release since the fungoid shaman is specifically Moonclan. What could happen though is that the Moonclan BT may have mixed army battalion like Braggoth's Beasthammer  for BCR where you can field spiders and other grot units and have synergy with them.

On another note on the Warhammer Weekly episode I did like the idea of a Troggoth infested with Maggots and being constantly earen and regenerating kind of cool if not a bit morbid.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, novakai said:

What could happen though is that the Moonclan BT may have mixed army battalion like Braggoth's Beasthammer  for BCR where you can field spiders and other grot units and have synergy with them.

That would be great. I hope we hear something soon about some kind, any kind, of Grot release. Fingers crossed for something from Warhammerfest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I very much doubt that Spiderfang will be rolled into the Moonclan allegiance if Moonclan gets a dedicated book.  Both of those allegiances have their own sections in the core rulebook with very distinct backgrounds.  And aside from the Silver Tower models both of those allegiances have very distinct visual looks which are very different.

As for the rumor engine for the maggots, despite the continual grot joking that I make in the main rumors thread I do not think that is for grot models.  I expect that rumor pic is for the Rogue Trader Killteam box that has some sort of nurgle mutants in it.  

I like Warhammer Weekly as well, but I think Tom was wrong on that prediction.   But don’t let anyone in the general forums rumor thread know that - it will spoil the joke.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now 3-0 with my spider bois against Nighthaunt, Stormcast, and Seraphon. All played by decent players. 

I say this not to brag or anything like that, but because this thread has been super quiet I want to remind people that this is a really decent and underrated army, and not to be discouraged from getting into them (or bringing them as a detachment in a larger Destruction army) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Congrats @Lord_Skrolk, what you running?

Yes I'd love to hear what you are running. I am due to play my first AOS games next week against Nighthaunt, Seraphon and clan Eshin. We will be playing 1000 points. This is the list I'm thinking of running.

 

Grot Shaman on Arachnarock w/ ethereal amulet

Grot big boss on Gigantic spider - General w/ Ravager

20 x Spider riders

5 x Spider Riders

5 x Spider Riders 

Soulsnare Shackles or quick silver swords

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With this army, you have to play the objectives at the sacrifice of everything else. I've gotten tabled twice while winning the game, a tradeoff I am happy to make. Arachnaroks with Shamand are awesome, Spider Riders are not, so maximize the number of Arachnaroks you have if you're using realm spells and just cover them in magic 

List at 1K:

Arachnarok with Shaman: Ethereal Amulet

Arachnarok with Shaman 

Fungoid Cave Shaman--the Command Ability that lets you charge after retreating/running is HUGE for our army, must take.

5x Spider Riders

5x Spider Riders

5x Spider Riders 

Aethervoid Pendelum, Quicksilver Swords to fill out the roster and give us some damage spells 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Congrats @Lord_Skrolk, what you running?

 

10 hours ago, Fisher KIng said:

Yes I'd love to hear what you are running. I am due to play my first AOS games next week against Nighthaunt, Seraphon and clan Eshin

 

Replied below, tagging you two so you see since I forgot in my comment haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which weapon loadout do people suggest for the Spider riders? reading the warscroll I think bows are actually ok on them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, novakai said:

Which weapon loadout do people suggest for the Spider riders? reading the warscroll I think bows are actually ok on them

You don't have to pick, you get the bows and the spears if you would like 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

With this army, you have to play the objectives at the sacrifice of everything else. I've gotten tabled twice while winning the game, a tradeoff I am happy to make. Arachnaroks with Shamand are awesome, Spider Riders are not, so maximize the number of Arachnaroks you have if you're using realm spells and just cover them in magic 

List at 1K:

Arachnarok with Shaman: Ethereal Amulet

Arachnarok with Shaman 

Fungoid Cave Shaman--the Command Ability that lets you charge after retreating/running is HUGE for our army, must take.

5x Spider Riders

5x Spider Riders

5x Spider Riders 

Aethervoid Pendelum, Quicksilver Swords to fill out the roster and give us some damage spells 

Looks really good!  I think you're right, dual A-Roks has to be the way to go at 1000 points.  Fungoid is awesome!  I use him loads.

I'd been playing with similar lists a while ago...I wasn't sure what to do with the last 100 points though.  I was choosing between a Boss, or 20x Allied Grots for objectives.  Are you happy with the 3x 5 Riders?  

The other one is the spells, with the low body count I was thinking of taking both board control spells (Gravetide and Palisades).  Although having that mortal output outside of the combat phase is obviously useful.

As a broader observation (and not that anyone asked!), I love playing events at different points levels over the course of the year.  I think it's really healthy to have some 1k and 2500 point events in the calendar, because it keeps you thinking, keeps presenting different list building challenges, and different armies come to the fore.  Playing at 1000 points last year was the main time I didn't feel like I was playing with one arm tied behind my back with Destruction.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

(or bringing them as a detachment in a larger Destruction army) 

What are your (and others') thoughts on this in particular?

My own tendency would be an A-Rok and a Boss for 380 points.  Gives you some mortal wound output and a couple of semi-durable heroes, one of them a Wizard.

What do other people think, either as an Ally detachment or in a mixed Destro army?  Would you find room for 10x Spider Riders in Mixed Destro maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piggy backing on what @PlasticCraic said ...

Why dont more Spiderfang players run a GA army to get around the 400 point ally limit? Maybe with one or 2 large blocks of spiders.  How do you guys deal with battleshock. My nurgle army is all but immune to morale with high bravery, hard to hit/kill multi wound units, and plethora of healing abilities.  Is it better to take MSU spider units to mitigate bravery.. but then the DOPE buffs are only one a couple models as opposed to a a large block of spiders!

I bought 60 spider riders, an A-rok and a grot spider boss last year and am looking for a change of pace for a bit after playing Nurgle exclusively for 2-3 years, including a great finish at the NOVA GT this year..which saw me playing MANY practice games.. several per week. a tad spent on the nurgle front and I think spiderfang would be an awesome change-up!

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Why dont more Spiderfang players run a GA army to get around the 400 point ally limit? 

Idk, probably a lot of people think an almost all spider army is awesome and would rather have that then a more optimized list. And to those people I say rock on with all of your eight legged friends! 

I agree that Spiderfang in a tournament setting is probably best with like ~1000 points of Spiderfang in a mixed Destruction army

Without getting into exact point values, just general concepts that can be tweaked to preference, a Spiderfang based army probably needs: 

Grot Shaman for the better chance to drop Cogs, these guys are so good with an almost guaranteed +2 to casting that bringing 2 is a fine strategy

2x Rock Lobbers for ranged support (our bows are near useless, you'll get like 2 unarmoured models killed all game with them)

Big blocks of Grots to screen and hold objectives 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Idk, probably a lot of people think an almost all spider army is awesome and would rather have that then a more optimized list. And to those people I say rock on with all of your eight legged friends! 

I agree that Spiderfang in a tournament setting is probably best with like ~1000 points of Spiderfang in a mixed Destruction army

Without getting into exact point values, just general concepts that can be tweaked to preference, a Spiderfang based army probably needs: 

Grot Shaman for the better chance to drop Cogs, these guys are so good with an almost guaranteed +2 to casting that bringing 2 is a fine strategy

2x Rock Lobbers for ranged support (our bows are near useless, you'll get like 2 unarmoured models killed all game with them)

Big blocks of Grots to screen and hold objectives 

Thanks for the response! Yes with an army as cool as spiderfang and not necessarily as competitive (although, admittedly, that is one of the reasons I choose them to put this notion to the test).. the rule of cool prevails. I have not had much experience with Destruction.. really at all. Going through the warscrolls availed to us, It seems the warscrolls with the most synergy with spiderfang are really only the Fungoid cave shaman. The grot shamen is cool for casting endless spells and a source of ranged mortal wounds, while the bonegrinder gargant and rougue idol being beatsticks that take up every point of the 400 point ally limit. Moonclan grot sbeing good for objective campers as You pointed out. Anything else I am missing??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Thanks for the response! Yes with an army as cool as spiderfang and not necessarily as competitive (although, admittedly, that is one of the reasons I choose them to put this notion to the test).. the rule of cool prevails. I have not had much experience with Destruction.. really at all. Going through the warscrolls availed to us, It seems the warscrolls with the most synergy with spiderfang are really only the Fungoid cave shaman. The grot shamen is cool for casting endless spells and a source of ranged mortal wounds, while the bonegrinder gargant and rougue idol being beatsticks that take up every point of the 400 point ally limit. Moonclan grot sbeing good for objective campers as You pointed out. Anything else I am missing??

Worth pointing out that the Rogue Idol will also buff the casting on your Grots wizards, that's a little bit of available synergy too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've completely changed how I use spiders in 2nd edition. The arachnarok is now a general in a mixed destruction army that is a buff-machine with realm spells, that is also un-rendable and re-rolls saves, just a big anvil that is thrown at the rendiest unit the enemy has, and they can't ignore it due to its value in casting 3 spells a turn. 

The little spiders are still awful unless you go full gordrakk build but it costs too many command points to be worth it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sheriff said:

I've completely changed how I use spiders in 2nd edition. The arachnarok is now a general in a mixed destruction army that is a buff-machine with realm spells, that is also un-rendable and re-rolls saves, just a big anvil that is thrown at the rendiest unit the enemy has, and they can't ignore it due to its value in casting 3 spells a turn. 

The little spiders are still awful unless you go full gordrakk build but it costs too many command points to be worth it. 

How do you the A-rok to cast three a turn? And why are they awful? What problems do you run into with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

How do you the A-rok to cast three a turn? And why are they awful? What problems do you run into with them?

Cogs gives the arachnarok a third spell as well as re-rolls o save, which is super strong when you have the ethereal trinket. Basically in the new edition it very efficient to have one arachnarok in your list when realm spells are in play, but the second one is far less points-efficient. I find that without an arachnarok in the list, no grot units really get much value out of artefacts like she does. 

Spider riders are too reliant on stacks of buffs, and a smart player can just ruin the chain of buffs. Multiple dependencies is a recipe for frustration imho. I do plan to play with a screening list to help them perform though (with gordrakk)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Cogs gives the arachnarok a third spell as well as re-rolls o save, which is super strong when you have the ethereal trinket. Basically in the new edition it very efficient to have one arachnarok in your list when realm spells are in play, but the second one is far less points-efficient. I find that without an arachnarok in the list, no grot units really get much value out of artefacts like she does. 

Spider riders are too reliant on stacks of buffs, and a smart player can just ruin the chain of buffs. Multiple dependencies is a recipe for frustration imho. I do plan to play with a screening list to help them perform though (with gordrakk)

If I run a spiderfang grot allegiant army, do moonclan grots still count as battleline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

If I run a spiderfang grot allegiant army, do moonclan grots still count as battleline?

No, allies cannot be used to fill a battleline requirement. So you can't just bring a few units of Moonclan Grots and then spam 6 Arachnaroks... as cool as that would be! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...