AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So. Any early tips on what allies might best help with Spiderfang? 

The massive ONE game I have under my belt suggested to me that the biggest thing missing is staying power - an anvil-type unit that can stand and hold for a turn or two.  Anything leap out as best suited for that role?

2 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

So. Any early tips on what allies might best help with Spiderfang? 

The massive ONE game I have under my belt suggested to me that the biggest thing missing is staying power - an anvil-type unit that can stand and hold for a turn or two.  Anything leap out as best suited for that role?

Well, if you use either Gitmob or Moonclan grots units you can get a big bucket of wounds for relatively cheap.  I like Gitmob myself because it allows me to use all of the forest goblin on foot models that I have.  Also, since both gitmob and moonclan grot units are base battleline you can build your list as general destruction without really losing anything if you wanted to run a couple units.

If you want a more durable unit then you could ally in some Ardboyz.

Sorry for if there is an obvious answer I’m missing. The Arachnarok scroll confuses me. Is it armed with all the weapons? If you take a shaman do you have the howda and the flinger? Both the Warscroll builder and azyr show 280pts for it base and with shaman, shouldn’t the shaman cost more? (40k player atm)

31 minutes ago, Kiloran said:

Sorry for if there is an obvious answer I’m missing. The Arachnarok scroll confuses me. Is it armed with all the weapons? If you take a shaman do you have the howda and the flinger? Both the Warscroll builder and azyr show 280pts for it base and with shaman, shouldn’t the shaman cost more? (40k player atm)

It's the same points no matter.  As for what's on it, how you pick is on the warscroll itself.  You can get the howdah and grots no matter what, and then either a flinger or a shaman.

• Like 1

I was given an old spiderfang Grot Big Boss model so now my 800 point list (building up to 1000 and eventually 2000) is as follows:

Grot Big Boss on spider: 100.

2X10 Spider riders:200 each so 400 total.

Arachnarok with shaman: 280.

im hoping to build on this with more riders and eventually a few more arachnaroks. Also I don’t know how allies work so when I do I’ll add some more magic or something.

sound good? Btw me and my playing buddies have no battalions because no Battletomes so just warsxrolls and basic rules for me

3 hours ago, Kiloran said:

Thank you! I’m way more used to granular point selection. But planning on trying AoS Saturday with the release of the 2.0 rules. I have so many old WFB toys collecting dust.

Another thing to consider is that if you are using matched-play points then the Arachnarok with shaman is also considered a LEADER - which counts against the total number of leaders your army can have for that point size.  The Arachnarok with the flinger and no shaman is not a LEADER.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, fanatical-mushroom-addict said:

I was thinking of converting one spider rider into a big boss on spider as I don't like the finecast kit anyway and don't want to spend £15 on a crappy kit

I am starting this army too and I agree with you about the Big Boss. I was thinking of using the back/bottom of a plague drone as the spiders abdomen, use its legs and add the normal spiders head.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:18 AM, Sheriff said:

Don't forget Gordrakk, he can fit in a list that allows turn 1 mega charge with 20 spiders doing 4 bites each. Can also screen them all with grots and fanatics. 

GROTdrakk! there's a good conversion here somewhere.

Yeah so in the pics are

Allegiance: Destruction
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Battered Talisman
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)
10 x Cave Squigs (120)
- Allies
2 x Grot Squig Herders (20)
- Allies

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 144

Ignore artifacts etc, and this is AOS 1 so unsure if points change anywhere.  Spare 40 on endless spells

Might drop 5 squigs to get more endless as I can cast them

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Would love to see this if anyone has a link... I searched "grotdrakk" and found nothing

I haven't seen one but if I have the time and money to do it I would put the Arachnarock head and legs on to a Maw Crusha. Then put a suitably heavily armour grot on the top. Maybe one of the blood bowl Gobbo's (with a head swap)

OK, cards on the table here guys. I have never played a game of Age of Sigmar. My group is split up now because of life, work and families but when we did play regually it was mainly Mordhiem and kill team. The last game of WHFB I played must have been in 3rd.  However now the guy in the group with all the money, you must all have one of those, has bought the Soul Wars and Malign Portents boxes. So it looks like our once yearly RPG weekender my go AOS instead. I all for it. I've been creeping round these forums since January as a hobbyist and I've really started to love the way it looks like AOS works. I love games where you can build synergies in to your army. That's why I think SFG appeal to me. I love that all the units in the game go to build a bug combo. Plus love the minis! Now that said I think I'm in for a hard road. I have ask on our WhatsApp group and I will be facing the new Nighthaunt (this guy has been spaming the feed with all the new models he is getting), Sylvaneth and Ironjaws. All relatively well supported ranges with battletomes. So I guess what I am asking for is some tactical support. Here are some questions

1. Endless spells, is there room from them in a SFG list? Are they any good? I don't like the idea of your opponent getting to use something you have put resources into creating.

2. Good combos, I know the idea with SFG is to get those sweet, sweet mortal wounds flowing.  Am I right in thinking that if you use your big boss's command trait and Goredrekk's on the same unit your spider venom will trigger on a 3+? If so is there any way to build in an other +1 to hit buff?

3. How dead is the venom mob? my group is pretty ok with house rules so I think I would be OK with the whole Forest Goblin thing but are there point for this any more? Is it any good? I feel that battalions are going to be big in AOS2.

4. Any tips from the experience SFG generals can give me about playing these other factions.

5. Please shear any list people are using/ thinking of using. Is it possible to be competitive in just the SFG allegiance? or do you need to go mixed Destruction? 

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.

3 hours ago, Fisher KIng said:

1. Endless spells, is there room from them in a SFG list? Are they any good? I don't like the idea of your opponent getting to use something you have put resources into creating.

I don't know if they're any good, but I thought it might be fun to model up some Soulsnare Shackles as some sort of spectral spider webs.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2018 at 12:15 PM, Fisher KIng said:

I am starting this army too and I agree with you about the Big Boss. I was thinking of using the back/bottom of a plague drone as the spiders abdomen, use its legs and add the normal spiders head.

I found an old spider body and a hooded goblin with a bat from my bits box and glued them together and boom its done. IDK if any kits contain spare spider bodies but there are lots of grots with fun sculpts which would look good stuck to a spider body

• Thanks 1

@Fisher KIng

I think endless spells are going to be great and the fact our Arachnarok Spiders can cast 2 spells per turn puts us in one of the places to use these. I suppose it depends on how you play too, endless spells can be very tactical if you want to win but if your playing for fun then massive spiders riden by magic goblins sending firey skull spells around the table... We rule!!!

• Thanks 1

I have not really looked into Endless spells a ton yet.  I have seen a few spoiled and read some discussions about others.  Long story short a number of them will indeed be useful.  I think Spiderfang will benefit from this a fair bit since we tend to field a large amount of wizards. The new Realm rules for magic will be very nice for Spiderfang also for the same reason.

As for combos, we don't have a whole lot of them at the moment.  Basically just stack the Arachnarok shaman's spell with the boss command ability onto either one of your Arachnaroks or a big unit of Spider Riders.  On the plus side, that is a nice bit of synergy.  On the negative side it is about all that we have at the moment - at least directly within Spiderfang.

Tactical advice would be that if you are playing pure Spiderfang then your toughest units are your Arachnaroks.  Your spider riders can be quite deadly when buffed, but they are a fragile unit.  Don't expect your spider riders to stick around through a serious beating.   They are fast, mobile, versatile, and can be pretty nasty when you dump your main buffs into them - but durable they are not.  Look into allies if you want more diversity and want to shore up your army with stuff it is lacking.  Gitmob has some nice choices.  You can field grot infantry to act as a more durable unit and they combo well with the gitmob shaman.  The artillery is another notable pick.  You can easily build yourself a rock lobba using any extra bits for the Flinger from your Arachnarok if you built the shaman version.  You can't go wrong with gitmob rock lobbas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Paul Buckler wow that's incredible!  I love the variety in that, I'm also a little scared to ask what the blue Spider is doing... 

If your in S.Wales be great to get a game in at some point too 

So does anyone are the new points lists for AoS 2.0? I asked GW and they had no idea when the were going to update the Warscroll builder in the community site, which was a bit surprising tbh, or if not can anyone tell me where to find them? Is it GH18?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Oh boy, scored 20 more Spidergrots this weekend. Just enough to push me over 1600 and into the "allies can get me to 2000" zone. Lol

What could be better than a Giant as an ally?

Answer is an even bigger Giant!  Bonegrinder Gargant can now be taken as an ally and costs exactly 400.  Coincidence?  I think not...

24 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I don't have one. And no FW budget these days. Need to come up with a conversion/proxy/3rd party solution.

There are a number of them around if you look.

But honestly I am not sure that a Bonegrinder is the best ally for Spiderfang anyways.  He is a solid monster, but we tend to use a lot of the behemoth slots on giant spiders anyways.

I would probably investigate plugging playstyle holes with allies.  So something like artillery or anvil/objective holder units.

350 gets you a max unit of Gitmob grots with bows and a Gitmob shaman.  Or 400 points gets you 2 units of 40 Gitmob grots.  Or for 400 you can get 2 lobbies and 40 Gitmob grots.

Edited by Skabnoze