AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I keep wondering which Arachnarok Spider(s) are the best to use. Then, I came up with the idea that I would like to use them all depending on the points. Did anyone try to see if it's easily possible to magnet the top so we can switch between shaman, warparty, etc? 

I thought of 2 lists for a 2000 points Spiderfang theme army. What do you guys think? Any idea to make it better? 

List 1 

LEADERS
1x Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)  - General
1x Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)

UNITS
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

BEHEMOTHS
1x Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (250)
1x Arachnarok Spider with Flinger (270)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Scuttletide (30) 

List 2 

LEADERS
1x Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)  - General

UNITS
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

BEHEMOTHS
1x  Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (250)

ENDLESS SPELLS
None

Both are 2000pts exactly. 

Edited by VonBenny

Here's the pure Spiderfang list I threw together Saturday morning and ran for 3 games, went 2-1 surprisingly even beating a decent Sylvaneth List.

LEADERS
1x Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)  - General (Totem of the Spider God + Tough 'n' Leathery)
1x Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300) (Gryph-feather Charm)
1x Webspinner Shaman (80)

BATTLE LINE
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

BEHEMOTHS
1x Skitterstrand Arachnarok (260)

WARSCROLL BATTALION
Skitterstrand Nest (110)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Scuttletide (30) 

POINTS 2000/2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 

• Thanks 1

Need advice with the list. So we hawe here over 100 ****** bow shots that should take care with screen units, potential to inflict 100+ mortals, 2 ways to make enemy units strike last, spell that if not dispeled can "block" choke points and cripple hordes, almost all army ignore terrain and i can try to teleport a unit. Squigs are mostly to secure some backline objectives.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
20 x Spider Riders (400)
20 x Spider Riders (400)
5 x Spider Riders (100)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
Arachnarok Spider with Flinger (270)
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 152

So far I’ve come up with this, I haven’t played AoS before but did play 8th.

I wondered what people thought?

Spiders
 Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- General
- Artefact : Headdress of Many Eyes
- Lore of the Spiderfangs : Sneaky Distraction
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- Artefact : Totem of the Spider God
UNITS
20 x Shootas (130)
20 x Shootas (130)
15 x Spider Riders (300)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

BEHEMOTHS
Skitterstrand Arachnarok (260)

) Skitterstrand Arachnarok (260)

BATTALIONS
Skitterstrand Nest (110)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 158
LEADERS: 2/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 3/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400

Edited by Dawntreader561
Formatting

Played my first game and got a win but have tweaked the list. I don't think arachnaroks are good other than the shaman. They're not hard to kill, they're not fast and they don't hit hard. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but they're probably 70-80 points too expensive for me to be interested. With that in mind, I love the magic lores and bonus to cast

Arachnarok shaman with sneaky distraction and headress of many eyes

Arachnarok shaman with run and charge spell

Arachnarok shaman with heal monster spell

Scuttleboss with totem and monstrous mount 

20 spiders

5 spiders

5 spiders 

Spider rider detachment

Cogs

Geminids

Mushroom 

Malevolent moon

Cauldron

This list is full of tricks. One I'm planning to try is as follows -

Cast cauldron and hand of Mork the arachnarok with the healing spell to the other side of the board. Keep him out of charge range, maybe 16 inches or so. Wait for the bad moon to move. 

Use small spider units as screens, otherwise send them to objectives and send the horde up the midfield protecting the totem boss with the run and charge spell arachnarok in there. Cast cogs, mushroom if in range 

Turn 2 (especially if the moon is in place) healing spell spider in backfield casts geminids and throws it at the opponent. Other spider casts sneaky distraction and then hand of gork to be 9 inches away (in the same area as the healing spider). He's now -2 to hit with the headress or maybe -3 if geminids went off. Plus, he's got his friend behind him to heal d6 wounds for whatever gets through. He charges with cogs needing a 7 and I have 3 cp at this point so can use one to reroll.

Meanwhile the blob of 20 spiders is moving 10 +2 for cogs, +2 battallion, can run +2 for drummer (plus 6 if I use a cp) for a total of 22 inches of movement plus a cogs charge at +2 and the charge is being rerolled from the scuttleboss. All that movement should let them either be under the totem or the moon for 5+ mortal wounds, they should all make it into combat and I'd use the spell to double their mortal wounds. 

Should give good board control, good damage, use the loonshrine to try to keep them fearless. I think the key is deciding where the moon starts, where the shrine goes and how to deploy/when to strike. 

Obviously won't always (or maybe even often) work out like this but certainly gives flexibility 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dawntreader561 said:

So far I’ve come up with this, I haven’t played AoS before but did play 8th.

I wondered what people thought?

Spiders
 Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- General
- Artefact : Headdress of Many Eyes
- Lore of the Spiderfangs : Sneaky Distraction
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- Artefact : Totem of the Spider God

Make that Scuttleboss your general and you can grab a command trait (they are, for some reason, Scuttleboss only.  Shamans can't take one).

It's cool to see Spiderfang get a lot of attention, especially on Facebook - I like that they evoke interesting themes.

I understand that since we've seen a rulebook release, GW is unlikely going to give them any treatment anytime soon, so what are other people's thoughts on Forgeworld having a crack at making a couple of additional units to fill out the army?

Specifically, I'm thinking of some additional Howdah kits to give us some more Arachnarok variants*, and maybe some Gigantic Spider variants, perhaps a different scuttleboss sculpt for people wanting something that looks different and maybe a light warmachine variant that has some sort of ballista on it.

Just my thoughts, what's your take on it?

(* my wishlist for an arachnarok variant would be some sort of special character spider queen conversion kit utilising the arachnarok kit as its base)

Edited by froo

1 hour ago, froo said:

I understand that since we've seen a rulebook release, GW is unlikely going to give them any treatment anytime soon, so what are other people's thoughts on Forgeworld having a crack at making a couple of additional units to fill out the army?

I'm pretty sure Dispossessed would get an actual book before FW gives any new destruction models! 😜

But seriously I wouldn't really put any hope in FW AoS stuff, nearly their entire line is just repurposed leftovers from Monstrous Arcanum/Tamurkhan's Horde and a few even went oop (like the preyton). True they have made 3 models specifically for AoS, but all of them Khorne (and 2 of them being dubiously useful and the last being 1200pts). And they still for some reason haven't given rules for the Ruinstorm Daemon Princes!

I mean even basic stuff like Chaos God themed upgrade kits for Warriors of Chaos haven't been on their mind! Meanwhile every single Necromunda Gang has gotten new weapons and some have alternate heads....

37 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I mean even basic stuff like Chaos God themed upgrade kits for Warriors of Chaos haven't been on their mind! Meanwhile every single Necromunda Gang has gotten new weapons and some have alternate heads....

Well Chaos Warriors are an iconic unit that GW will undoubtedly give a treatment too down the line at some point.
By all indication Darkoath are getting an update. Chaos Warriors might get lumped into this too... who knows.

Necromunda, however, is a much more niche product that GW is unlikely to fully support fulltime, which is exactly what Forgeworld does - create niche products.

It's kind of why I was suggesting a couple niche products for Spiderfang. If you look at the Gloomspite Gitz Facebook page currently, specifically in the photos, there is an inordinate amount of pics related to Spiderfang. Perhaps more than there should be given they've been relegated to back of the book stuff, but here we are.

33 minutes ago, froo said:

Well Chaos Warriors are an iconic unit that GW will undoubtedly give a treatment too down the line at some point.
By all indication Darkoath are getting an update. Chaos Warriors might get lumped into this too... who knows.

Necromunda, however, is a much more niche product that GW is unlikely to fully support fulltime, which is exactly what Forgeworld does - create niche products.

It's kind of why I was suggesting a couple niche products for Spiderfang. If you look at the Gloomspite Gitz Facebook page currently, specifically in the photos, there is an inordinate amount of pics related to Spiderfang. Perhaps more than there should be given they've been relegated to back of the book stuff, but here we are.

I mean if we're talking about niches, theres an army called Beasts of Chaos which has a good number of models that are in dire need of updating...😤

And yea I do understand FW's role in expanding niche lines, like Bloodbowl, but they historically have been very hands off on Fantasy. The best they have done was the chaos dwarfs, and that sadly has been very stagnant to where some models aren't even sold like the skullcracker (ok well that also was one of the more problematic minis..)

I guess where I'm going at is that I wouldn't put much hope on AoS FW releases. It's cool when they do support it, but it clearly is on the bottom of their priorities (even LOTR/Hobbit has gotten more releases).  Like I would have thought they would have made "Mercenaries" for Warhammer Underworld or Warhammer Quest at this point.

Edited by kenshin620

6 hours ago, DrDemento said:

Anybody have insight into why the silver tower scuttlings didn’t make it into the gloomspite release?   We thought for sure they’d be folded into spiderfang.

Will still use them as shootas (boought a bunch on eBay so can have a unit of 20.

Because you can't buy them today.

1 minute ago, brimmstorm said:

I’ve been considering a Spiderfang army for sometime. I’m wondering what other units from the book people are considering to round out some of the weaknesses of the Spiderfang Force? 

Stabbas and some kind of shaman 

On 1/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, Raoiley said:

This list is full of tricks. One I'm planning to try is as follows -

Cast cauldron and hand of Mork the arachnarok with the healing spell to the other side of the board. Keep him out of charge range, maybe 16 inches or so. Wait for the bad moon to move. 

Use small spider units as screens, otherwise send them to objectives and send the horde up the midfield protecting the totem boss with the run and charge spell arachnarok in there. Cast cogs, mushroom if in range 

Turn 2 (especially if the moon is in place) healing spell spider in backfield casts geminids and throws it at the opponent. Other spider casts sneaky distraction and then hand of gork to be 9 inches away (in the same area as the healing spider). He's now -2 to hit with the headress or maybe -3 if geminids went off. Plus, he's got his friend behind him to heal d6 wounds for whatever gets through. He charges with cogs needing a 7 and I have 3 cp at this point so can use one to reroll.  

Meanwhile the blob of 20 spiders is moving 10 +2 for cogs, +2 battallion, can run +2 for drummer (plus 6 if I use a cp) for a total of 22 inches of movement plus a cogs charge at +2 and the charge is being rerolled from the scuttleboss. All that movement should let them either be under the totem or the moon for 5+ mortal wounds, they should all make it into combat and I'd use the spell to double their mortal wounds. 

Should give good board control, good damage, use the loonshrine to try to keep them fearless. I think the key is deciding where the moon starts, where the shrine goes and how to deploy/when to strike. 

Obviously won't always (or maybe even often) work out like this but certainly gives flexibility 

I really liked some of the interactions you thought through. As far as the list goes, you're spending ~400 pts on spells and battalions and you might have too much synergy not enough stuff. Personally, I'd pick out the best interactions and get more numbers. I really like the ridiculous movement shenanigans.

1 hour ago, Bolgan said:

I really liked some of the interactions you thought through. As far as the list goes, you're spending ~400 pts on spells and battalions and you might have too much synergy not enough stuff. Personally, I'd pick out the best interactions and get more numbers. I really like the ridiculous movement shenanigans.

That could definitely end up proving true, taking it to a tournament this weekend and we'll see how it goes. Trouble is, to get any substantial increase in bodies would cost 250-300 points. The only real way to do it is scrapping an arachnarok but having 3 double casters is kind of the lynch pin. Being able to bully on magic 

This is the list that is what I'm considering as a decent allrounder

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount 
- Artefact: The Black Fang 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Venomous Spiderlings

Battleline
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
5 x Spider Riders (100)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (250)
Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (250)

Battalions
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 162

12 hours ago, Raoiley said:

That could definitely end up proving true, taking it to a tournament this weekend and we'll see how it goes. Trouble is, to get any substantial increase in bodies would cost 250-300 points. The only real way to do it is scrapping an arachnarok but having 3 double casters is kind of the lynch pin. Being able to bully on magic 

Interested to hear how it goes