AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@PlasticCraic so sorry,  I meant tried writing the list, haven't played yet but fun was definitely the idea with this though can't wait to get a game in

Also reading the Magic rules again on can only cast 1 endless spell per caster per turn so that 2 spells on the Shaman is still only 1 endless spell each turn. So I think I have too many endless spells as only him and the Fungoid dude can cast hem each turn

This is the list I'm aiming towards right now though so hopefully I'll put a blog up soon

Of guys think I should take less spells?

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt

Working on a 2k Spiderfang list to aim at! Right now, this is what I have for it:

LEADERS

Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)

UNITS
20 x Grot Spider Riders (400)
20 x Grot Spider Riders (400)
10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)

Total: 1660/2000

So I can fill out the rest with some more spiders and endless spells, or I can diversify a little with some allies.  Any suggestions?

37 minutes ago, Euphanism said:

So I can fill out the rest with some more spiders and endless spells, or I can diversify a little with some allies.  Any suggestions?

Taking your two spare flingers from the Arachnaroks and using them as Grot rock lobbers seems to be a popular and great idea. 

A Grot Shaman and archers might be a decent add for objectives. I’ve seen someone convert some forest goblin spearmen (moonclan stats). Nets/webs make sense and they even are working on some fanatics which are using the giant spider web balls from the artillery as the ball weapon. 

• Like 2

Well I have not gone through the items with a particular eye for Spiderfang, but the gryph-feather is a -1 to hit and that is always a good thing.  I was thinking that might be fun to stick on an Arachnarok.  Spiderfang relies upon big giant stompy spiders for a good deal of its combat and it seems like it would be pretty good to have a -1 to hit buff on one.

The command point recycling ability from Hyish could be very good as well.  Spiderfang does not have a lot of unit options and command ability from the warboss is very potent and quite important to the army.  The more command points the army can get the better.

On the flip side, that ability is going to be very prone to swings.  Some times it may win you the game and other times it won’t do anything.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:03 AM, Milandro said:

Taking your two spare flingers from the Arachnaroks and using them as Grot rock lobbers seems to be a popular and great idea. 

A Grot Shaman and archers might be a decent add for objectives. I’ve seen someone convert some forest goblin spearmen (moonclan stats). Nets/webs make sense and they even are working on some fanatics which are using the giant spider web balls from the artillery as the ball weapon. 

I believe this was me! I am trying to convert over a Spiderfang counts as force for fun. I posted some photos of my conversions in the reddit discord, but if there is interest here I'll load them up to imgur and share a link. So far have a full 20 man unit of spearmen, 5 archers, Shaman, 3 Fanatics, Doom Diver with another shaman on flight stand for the "ammo".  Going to find some really round and stunt spiders and make squig riders next.

Thanks for mentioning my work though I appreciate that people enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Guys, a question about Arachnarok Spider. Sorry if this was posted before...

If it has a catchweb spidershrine it gains a keyword HERO. How does that interact with items like battle brew? Because it's Arachnarok that is the main model and the shaman above doesn,t even have any profiles listed (like a basic atack or whatever). So... in the lifht of that is Arachnarok Spider with a shpidershrine considered a mount therefore can't be fed battle brew? 

They ruled in last edition that magic items like that effect the rider and not the mount.  The Arachnarok with a shaman is effectively a mount.  

But mounts and heroes share defensive stats and movement stats.  So items that boost movement, saving throws, or make you harder to hit work on the whole model.

I was reading the main rulebook and I came across something interesting.  In the section describing the various sub-factions within Destruction it mentions that the Spiderfang grots have been affected by all of the magic in their environment and some have begun to mutate spider-like traits.

It specifically mentions some have multiple eyes, some have multiple limbs, and some have a venomous bite.  I don’t recall ever seeing this sort of fluff before - aside from some lore long ago in Warhammer Fantasy about the shaman being infused with spider venom.

The shaman model on the Arachnarok is mutated to have multiple eyes, but there has never been a multi-armed goblin model aside from the Grot models in the Silver Tower set.  Now, I don’t know if they would want to repurpose those models or make make a new kit, but I would be surprised if they put that line in the Spiderfang lore description for no reason.

So does anyone else want to engage in rampant speculation?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I was reading the main rulebook and I came across something interesting.  In the section describing the various sub-factions within Destruction it mentions that the Spiderfang grots have been affected by all of the magic in their environment and some have begun to mutate spider-like traits.

It specifically mentions some have multiple eyes, some have multiple limbs, and some have a venomous bite.  I don’t recall ever seeing this sort of fluff before - aside from some lore long ago in Warhammer Fantasy about the shaman being infused with spider venom.

The shaman model on the Arachnarok is mutated to have multiple eyes, but there has never been a multi-armed goblin model aside from the Grot models in the Silver Tower set.  Now, I don’t know if they would want to repurpose those models or make make a new kit, but I would be surprised if they put that line in the Spiderfang lore description for no reason.

I reckon you already got it all there, bud.  Haha

• Like 1

So they are becoming more like spiders, due to radioactive magic, eh? it like they are becoming Spider-Man or something.

Rampant speculation: I hope these Spider Grot can wall crawl, web sling, and have Spidey Grot senses that gives them -2 to hit while flinging sarcastic remarks at your enemies.

9 hours ago, novakai said:

So they are becoming more like spiders, due to radioactive magic, eh? it like they are becoming Spider-Man or something.

Rampant speculation: I hope these Spider Grot can wall crawl, web sling, and have Spidey Grot senses that gives them -2 to hit while flinging sarcastic remarks at your enemies.

They're pretty good in a fight, but if any blonde elf women die on a bridge they spend the next turn sulking and cant attack, charge, or move.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Imagine a unit of 60 spider grots with the Spider venom rule. Especially if they had something like if you have 20 your +1 to hit, 30 or more +2. Epic. 

I know a few of the rumour engines have looked grot like. We are all assuming it’s Moonclan but a couple look very Spiderfang. I’m hope we get some love soon. ?????

I hope Spiderfang gets some love as well.  Night Goblins have been my favorite goblins, and GW creation for that matter, since the 90s.  So I will say that I am excited by the idea of a full Moonclan Battletome and hoping very much that those rumors are true.

But I have always been a fan of Forest Goblins and have lamented that they spent many editions slipping away into the background.  They almost disappeared entirely for a while with just the spider rider cavalry remaining in the army book, and I think the only reason they stayed there was that they made an easy-to-assemble kit and put it into the Battle For Skulls Pass box set.  They never did resculpt the unit after that and we are still using the easy-to-assemble kit - which has aged pretty well.  The Arachnarok was a very surprising addition in 8th edition.

Ever since I decided to return to Fantasy and get into Age of Sigmar I have really liked that Spiderfang became it's own small subfaction.  There honestly is not much to the faction, but I like every unit that they have as an option.  I know that the idea of Grot Sky-Pirates has a lot of people excited, but I think they could hit a home-run by fleshing out Spiderfang more.  It really is quite a unique little faction in Age of Sigmar as insects are not very common.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been utilising the Soulsnare Shackles as kind of a "web" endless spell - it certainly plays like it. I'll be converting mine by adding some structure between the various links with plasticard rod and spraying it with some Spider Serum from Greenstuffworld to make it more weblike before adding some spiderlings from the Arachnarok kit.

Anyway, it got me thinking. If GW ever does do another pass over the grots and is looking for supercharged faction specific versions of endless spells like they've done with the Nighthaunt and Stormcast, I'd like to see a variation of the Soulsnare Shackles for Spiderfang as I feel its quite thematic.

As for how to supercharge it? I've got a couple ideas. Perhaps a 4th model that is placed 6 inches from one of the second placed ones might be cool to give you some interesting shapes, or perhaps add +1 to the roll for each additional web model in range which would account for how dense the web is.

In either case, I'd like to see Spiderfang immune to the movement part of the spell but not the mortal wounds roll because I think thats funny and backfiring mechanics are very thematic.

Just wanted to put this out there.