AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

This list just dominated 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider(280)
- General
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
30 x Spider Riders (540)
15 x Spider Riders (300)
15 x Spider Riders (300)

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty(230)

Battalions
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 158

• Like 1

Hello grotties. I'm looking at the cult of the spider god for my next army and was hoping to get some feedback on the list I'm planning to build towards. I hope it has legs :
Leaders
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount 
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)
- Artefact: Headdress of Many Eyes 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
15 x Spider Riders (300)
15 x Spider Riders (300)
5 x Spider Riders (100)
20 x Stabbas (130)

Units
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (150)

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (230)

Battalions
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (40)
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Wounds: 144

I could take out 5 riders to boost my fellwaters to 6 at the cost of the extra CP. I plan to have the troggs protect my arak shaman and be -2 to hit and hand of gork them if needed.

Is Gift of Da Spider God (8+ cast d6 heal on araks) worth taking on the foot shaman? Not sure how quickly araks go down yet.

Still unsure about unit sizes for spider riders.

Stabbas a good include for sitting at shrine on home obj / late game hand of gorking?
Edited by Verminlord
edit: btw, I think the new universal reroll ones CA's are a good buff for us. More chances for MW and something to spend excess CP on :)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Stabbas for exactly what you said but also for screening on deployment.

Spiders of 5 are chaff/screen only and won't do much else.

Fellwaters are more so unitily than  damage which is absolutely fine.

I like spider riders in units of 15.

I take the being spell for the shaman on foot. 

Overall liking the list thus far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GlitzFan said:

Stabbas for exactly what you said but also for screening on deployment.

Spiders of 5 are chaff/screen only and won't do much else.

Fellwaters are more so unitily than  damage which is absolutely fine.

I like spider riders in units of 15.

I take the being spell for the shaman on foot. 

Overall liking the list thus far.

Thanks for the feedback!

Which spell on the foot shaman is that?

What do you think about fanatics hidden in the stabbas instead of the troggs?

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 

Battleline
30 x Spider Riders (540)
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider with Flinger (250)
Arachnarok Spider with Flinger (250)

Battalions
Arachnarok Spider Cluster (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 168

Evening all :D

Very tempted by a small 1000 point spiderfang army but cant decide which would be better.

Shaman on arachnarok 

5 spider riders

5 spider riders

war party arachnarok 

war party arachnarok 

OR

change a war party arachnarok for another shaman on arachnarok. 

difference is 60 points left for endless spells or 20 points for a triumph but more casting?

• 1 month later...

NEW LIST

I couldn't see the ultilty of scuttleboss other than being a throw away assassin type because his CA isnt that amazing. Id rather spend the cp on rerolling 1s to hit, fishing for MWs, which any hero can do. So I took the shaman as a general, besides the totem relic bubble is bigger on him, more wounds to remove it, and bravery aura for being general is nice.

Got rid of the battalion as I didnt like scuttleboss and the third required unit of riders just werent impactful enough with the points I had to work with. So I bumped up two units to 20

I kept looking at the arach options and none of them really compare with the utilty of the shaman imo. The fangs are the scariest part on each one and they have the same fang profile.

Troggs tarpit things and take arachnacauldron wounds (hopefully healing the damage up right after taking it as it doesn't say when to heal in the hero phase)

My biggest question now is whether to drop a trogg unit for more stabbas.

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
20 x Spider Riders (400)
20 x Spider Riders (400)
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Units

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Scuttletide (30)
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 156

Edited by Verminlord
  • Like 1

I reckon this looks amazing! Are you able to try it out? I would be concerned that the fellwaters might drop too easily from bravery.
My 2cents is:
 - drop 10 spiders in a unit to gain 100p.
 - drop pendulum (i reckon in this list you wont be using it very often due to its short range) - gain 50p
- add 20 more stabbas with the extra 150 points you gain

- make the fellwaters into a unit of 6 - they will be terrifying now for any opponent (and now you can use them as bait for the opponent for go for whilst your spiders get buffed by the bad moon in turn 2 or 3 with your big a-rok), so deploy these 6 away off to the side BUT within 12' of the shrine to auto pass bravery. - the spiders dont need to set up near the shrine at all. 

- the extra stabbas i would join to the other unit to make 40. they can screen for the spiders very well now. alternatively you split them into 20 and 20 and bubble wrap the fells with 20 for that sweet -2 to hit on the fells.

Overall loving the list mate. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm playing my first game with my Spiderfangs tonight, a small Meeting Engagement game vs Khorne (though not sure what he's bringing yet).

I've got:

Webspinner Shaman on A-rok (Sneaky Distraction, Headdress of Many Eyes)

Scuttleboss (General: Monstrous Mount)

Webspinner Shaman (Scuttling Terrors)

2x10 Spider Riders

1x5 Spider Riders

Scuttletide

When I go to 2000 points, I'll be trying 2 Fungoids, 5 more spiders for 3x10, and a Troggoth Hag, and I think I can fit some Boingrot Bounderz or Fellwater Troggs in there too.  But from the looks of it, I might want to either fit in another unit of 10 SpiderRiders or augment my 3 units to 15 each.  Do people like the bigger units for board control or insulation from battleshock?  

A Skitterstrand Next would be fun, if I can sell my Clans Eshin for a decent price then I could maybe get a pair of those.

Got my first Spiderfang game in vs Khorne; he had 2 Slaughterpriests with the Wrathaxe blessing, 10 Bloodwarriors, 2x5 Fleshhounds, a Daemon Prince, and a Skullmaster (herald on Juggernaut).   We called it turn 3 after I had killed almost all his guys and it was 10 to 5 VP.  

Meeting engagements are interesting formats, only on a 3x4 table, so speed isn't quite as important, but certainly helps to get those objectives early.  The Spiderriders are awesome for that!  I didn't have points for the Skitterswarm, but wanted to fit quite a few in there. 

My lessons learned:

I used the Scuttletide to jam him up turn 1 so he couldn't get to the center of the board like he wanted.  That's a great spell in general, but being able to fly over it for Spiderfang is super extra handy.  Think I'll try to get that in every list I use.

Scuttleboss is pretty awesome at dishing out the pain with mortal wounds, especially when Da Moon is out.  I wanna try him not only with Monstrous Mount, but also with the Black Fang (when I run 2000 points I'll have the battalion for an extra relic).  Under Da Moon he'll be doing 2 MW on 5+ hits and another D3 on each 6 to hit.  That's enough to kill most low level heroes, but he definitely won't survive against more durable or killy units.   (Oh wow, just remembered Venom of the Spidergod spell, that's 4 MW per 5+ at max + D3 on a 6!)

The Scuttleboss' CA is useful but I also learned that I need to reserve CPs for battleshock immunity, as WOW the Spiderrider bravery is 4!  That's just awful.  In my bigger list I'll have at least 1 if not 2 Fungoid Cave Shaman for the CP generation.

A-rok Shaman is a really good caster, especially in Da Moonlight.  And with Sneaky Distraction and Headress of Many Eyes a super big pain in the rear to deal with.  Paired with the Troggoth Hag, enemies will be frustrated as they bring the magic storm, and theoretically pain in the combat phase if needed.  

The Spiders were very fun to use, but definitely require some extra thoughtfulness compared to my past armies; and I think hero support for every Rider unit, which should be at least 10 models.  I see why many favor 15 Spiders per unit.   Looking forward to more Gitz games!

P.S. I noticed in the 2019 GHB Pitched Battle Profiles, as well as the Gitz tome, the A-rok Shaman is 300 points, but in the app and Warscroll Builder it's at 280.  Which is correct?  

Edited by Lord Krungharr
forgot about a spell

30 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

P.S. I noticed in the 2019 GHB Pitched Battle Profiles, as well as the Gitz tome, the A-rok Shaman is 300 points, but in the app and Warscroll Builder it's at 280.  Which is correct?  

the Gitz got an FAQ point change since the GHB was written before the tome came out, the new points are online. the Warscroll builder is correct here since the shaman got a point decrease to 280

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends, any opinions on this list?

Webspinner on A'Rok
- Gryphfeather Charm
- Sneaky Distraction
- Gift of the Spider God

Webspinner Shaman
- Headdress of Many Eyes
- Scuttling Terrors

Scuttleboss
- Black Fang

2 x 15 Spider Riders
1 x 5 Spider Riders

2 x A'Rok with Spiderfang Warparty

Scuttletide

Spiderfang Stalktribe
A'Rok Spider Cluster
Spider Rider Skitterswarm

So, thoughts? To many points in Battalions? I like the idea of a one-drop army and the SuperBattalion seems to give some nice buffs. Plus all the heroes get some artefact love!

I have been constructing a few different single drop armies, but haven't made the Spiderfang version yet.  It definitely costs a bunch of points, but could be pretty good against some opponents in certain missions.  The Spider speed is great for getting on top of objectives early on, especially with the Skitterswarm.  I go with 3x10 Spiders so each unit can have an icon and drummer, but many swear by 15 Riders.  

In my battles with weak Bravery units like we have in Spiderfang, limiting our melee engagements is pretty key.  I think if you can limit that, jamming them up with Scuttletide and using Flingers to make enemies strike last in combat, you could do well with the big Stalktribe.

Definitely save those command points for anti-battleshock though!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings spiderbros

I impulsively picked up a Venomclan box on ebay that I found for cheap and am ready to start my first destruction army. I know spiderboys are not in a great spot right now but I am determined to find a way to make them work. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the best way to run things and has anyone tried including Bonesplittaz allies because I hate troggoths and like the potential color possibilities with between the two factions.

I'm gonna have one big spidah (shaman right?) and 20 spiderriders plus another 15 i was using as LON wolves i have to get riders for

1 hour ago, ColsBols said:

Greetings spiderbros

I impulsively picked up a Venomclan box on ebay that I found for cheap and am ready to start my first destruction army. I know spiderboys are not in a great spot right now but I am determined to find a way to make them work. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the best way to run things and has anyone tried including Bonesplittaz allies because I hate troggoths and like the potential color possibilities with between the two factions.

I'm gonna have one big spidah (shaman right?) and 20 spiderriders plus another 15 i was using as LON wolves i have to get riders for

Welcome to the Everdank!   Great find on that box.  The big Arachanaroks, other than the Webspinner Shaman one, got a big points drop today in the FAQ.  I think if you run the big Shaman, a little Shaman, a Scuttleboss  and your riders in a Skitterswarm, plus maybe a Skitterstrand Next or Flinger Cluster battalion, you'll have a viable and fun to use force.  The speed and mortal wound potential, plus good magic, makes Spiderfang a good spoiler army.  

Allied Warchanter and some Stikk/Shield Boyz would be really fun, and good backfield guards.  Or if you can find one, a Rogue Idol :D

Toying with the idea of a second army between Spiderfang , Troggs, and Tzeetch. Looking at the below. I don't see many lists running two Shamans on Arachs but they seem really good to me. Idea would be for one Shaman to travel with the Fellwaters and drop the -1s to hit spell and attempt to get them to tie up something important, two of the Spider Riders and Shaman to run around with the Shaman dropping double venom spell, and one to keep tabs on the home objective and jump out where needed. Was also thinking about dropping two of the Spider Riders down to 10s and grab an Arach to play from reserve in the opponents backfield to distract them, or dropping two units down to 10s to get a fourth unit of 10 Spider Riders. Scuttle Tide and Morks to try and block the opponent out of objectives. I know I am missing a unit to screen with besides my spider riders, and I am not sure how much that would hurt me as the SpiderRiders seems very fragile.

Leaders
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)
- General

Battleline
15 x Spider Riders (300)
15 x Spider Riders (300)
15 x Spider Riders (300)

Units
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (300)

Battalions
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Scuttletide (30)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

• Like 1

So I was reading through the various errata that they put out the other day and the general rule about battleline behemoths not counting toward behemoth limits in general got me thinking about Spiderfang a bit more (along with the point adjustments).

What would people think about having the non-character Arachnarok options becoming conditional battleline options with a Spiderfang general?  I don’t know if it would necessarily be good - but it seems like it could be a lot of fun.  Anyone else have thoughts on that?

5 hours ago, GunslingerOy said:

Toying with the idea of a second army between Spiderfang , Troggs, and Tzeetch. Looking at the below. I don't see many lists running two Shamans on Arachs but they seem really good to me. Idea would be for one Shaman to travel with the Fellwaters and drop the -1s to hit spell and attempt to get them to tie up something important, two of the Spider Riders and Shaman to run around with the Shaman dropping double venom spell, and one to keep tabs on the home objective and jump out where needed. Was also thinking about dropping two of the Spider Riders down to 10s and grab an Arach to play from reserve in the opponents backfield to distract them, or dropping two units down to 10s to get a fourth unit of 10 Spider Riders. Scuttle Tide and Morks to try and block the opponent out of objectives. I know I am missing a unit to screen with besides my spider riders, and I am not sure how much that would hurt me as the SpiderRiders seems very fragile.

Leaders
- General

Battleline
15 x Spider Riders (300)
15 x Spider Riders (300)
15 x Spider Riders (300)

Units
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (300)

Battalions
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Scuttletide (30)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

I personally prefer to run my Riders in 10, and even at 10 there are still some bravery issues. Clever positioning with your loonshrine and having one of your Aroks as general will mitigate some of that. You are also right that Riders are ridiculously terrible screens. Super terrible. If my opponent wants to play competitively, I run Stabbas as screen. I would also strongly recommend dropping the Mushroom for a Fungoid Cave Shaman. A surprise Hand of Gork on a unit of Riders that's spent the majority of the game holding obs in the backline has pulled out so many games for me. Spiderfang isn't the greatest competitively but we are super fun to play and can be annoying to play against with our MW output.  

19 hours ago, Intrinsic said:

I personally prefer to run my Riders in 10, and even at 10 there are still some bravery issues. Clever positioning with your loonshrine and having one of your Aroks as general will mitigate some of that. You are also right that Riders are ridiculously terrible screens. Super terrible. If my opponent wants to play competitively, I run Stabbas as screen. I would also strongly recommend dropping the Mushroom for a Fungoid Cave Shaman. A surprise Hand of Gork on a unit of Riders that's spent the majority of the game holding obs in the backline has pulled out so many games for me. Spiderfang isn't the greatest competitively but we are super fun to play and can be annoying to play against with our MW output.  

Yeah, I've been thinking about all our options and it seems like the Spider Totem that makes us do MWs on 5+s combined with shaman casting the double damage spell and a rerolling ones CA is our best damage dealing route, which makes me think a big unit of spider riders would be best.

Does anyone run Skagrott to hopefully get a webfull of CPs and to act as a sniper, which I think he's surprisingly good at?