AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

33 minutes ago, GlitzFan said:

Your totem of spider god on scuttleboss in interesting. You might lose it quicker than if you had it on an A-rok.

I've thought of doing the same thing myself, because it gives you a true alpha strike option.

If the opportunity arises and you see a gap, you take it - being aware that you are throwing away an artefact.

Otherwise you run him around supporting your Riders as normal.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2019 at 5:59 AM, Newtype_Zero said:

Actually just saw a discussion on Facebook about this. The bonus does stack now!

Per the Core Rule FAQ (page 1)

Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit, can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version? Do I have to use any errata that applies to the warscroll? A: You must use the most recently published warscroll and errata that you or your opponent have available. Warscrolls with a date of publication are always considered to have been published more recently than a warscroll that doesn’t have one. If you have two warscrolls for a unit and neither has a date of publication, you can choose which warscroll to use.

The Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider warscroll was updated through Azyr to read:

Catchweb Spidershrine

Add 1 to casting and unbinding rolls for friendly Spiderfang Wizards while they are within 12" of this model.

The Last Update field for the Warscroll reads as June 2019, making it the most recently published warscroll. HOWEVER it no longer lists the ability of granting +2 to Bravery for Spiderfang units if it's the general.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:32 PM, amysrevenge said:

I came in here to get all "well, actually" on you, but look at that, the Azyr app does include a "date of publication" on the warscroll, and it is newer than the battletome.

If I'm not mistaken, the June 2019 version of the warscroll in the app is actually the pre-battletome version.  So it seems like it is an error that it is there, and the battletome version is what should be in there.  And the normal warscroll update procedure is not to stealth-buff or stealth-nerf warscolls via the app with no mention in the official FAQ.  These two factors are enough for me that I would (and will) use the battletome version and not the app version in my own games, but I don't have a leg to stand on to insist that my opponent does the same.

I contacted Adam about the Text difference of this rule and he replied that it will be fixed in the app with the next update.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:47 PM, GlitzFan said:

@PlasticCraic

How would you use the scuttleboss as an alpha strike exactly? I like to know how people deploy, plan moves ahead etc..

What I mean by looking for an opportunity is that you can potentially Hand of Gork him and take out a key target Turn 1.

Give him Monstrous Mount, cast Venom of the Spider God on him.

The moon isn’t out yet, but he takes the 5+ with him wherever he goes from the artefact. 

And being a Hero, he is rerolling the 9” charge.

He can’t fly, but his base isn’t crazy big and of course he has Wall Crawler.  So you might get a chance to launch him like a rocket at something key in your opponent’s army.

And if you don’t get that opening, just use him to support units of Spider Riders that have Venom of the Spider God until later in the game when gaps start appearing.

That’s how I’ve thought about using him, anyway :D

On 7/10/2019 at 12:45 AM, EMMachine said:

I contacted Adam about the Text difference of this rule and he replied that it will be fixed in the app with the next update.

Looks like the Warscroll card was updated in the AoS app today. So back to the rules from the BT for the Webspinner on A-Rok!

• LOVE IT! 1

Is it worth running two Skitterswarm battalions to net an extra relic?  Or is that a silly waste of points?  

Tough to run a whole Stalktribe at 2000 points at all.  Can't fit in the Skitterstrand Nest.  But for the Spidercluster I'm thinking 2 flingers is the way to go.  Anyone try that out?  I have just 1 A-rok Shaman, and a Troggoth Hag.  I love the Spiderfang spells, but the Hag Curse is super good and she's an excellent durable lone wolf type of unit; I feel worth the 380 points, but of course not Spiderfang. 

Pure Spiderfang does seem pretty viable though.  Anyone gotten any games in lately with them?  I haven't had time to play much this summer.

I plan to run (when I get games in)

Scuttleboss

-masterful spider rider

-totem

Shaman on arok

-headdress of many eyes

-scuttling terrors

Shaman on foot

-Nibblas itty ring

-gift of the spider God

Shaman on foot

-webstrung cloak

-venomous spiderlings 

10 spider riders

10 spider riders

10 spider riders

Arok with warparty

Arok with warparty 

Skitterswarm

Spider cluster

Stalktribe 

Scuttletide 

Aracnarcauldron 

I think a single drop army could be pretty good to have in some cases, or it could. Be dropped all separately if you can still beat the enemy drops.   I’ve had a couple enemies deploy badly because they put down a couple battalions all at once so they couldn’t see what I was doing with my units yet.   

Wish Forgeworld made a gargantuan arachnarok.   Just because.  

2 hours ago, Vanerk said:

Hi all! Just bought a Venom Clan box and a Scuttleboss. You guys got suggestions on what version of Arachnarok I should build? Also what to expand with next? 

I'd start with a Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok, he's good value for a 2-spell caster and the Warscroll spell will really benefit you.

Where you go next will depend what you want to do (pure Spiderfang, or mix in some Grots).  But you can't really go wrong with a couple more Venom Clan boxes, if you're able to find them.

Edited by PlasticCraic

Thoughts on this list im running on friday night?
Unconventional to most previous lists here but a lot of good combinations on the  warscrolls for units and battalions. 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount 
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl 

Battleline
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider with Flinger (250)

Battalions
Arachnarok Spider Cluster (100)
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

Yeah I'd agree with @amysrevenge

The Mangler Boss is probably the opportunity for change...I'd sub him out for a heap of Grots personally.  Gives you the bodies / screening / board control / late game recycled bodies.

Spiders don't lack "Something that can go over there, do some damage then die".  Mangler Boss and Spider Riders are broadly similar in that role.

I reeeaalllly don't like the Flingas (I'd go Skitterstrand over them personally, if you're keen to do something different), but if you do like them, go for it!

Edited by PlasticCraic

@PlasticCraic

I agree. I'll drop the mangler and add stabbas.

I think you should give the flingers a chance. My reason is that they are better than the other variants (apart from the webspinner a-rok obviously). They are better because they do the same damage as the warparty variant plus they make the enemy units attack last. They are anti horde as they have a 50% chance each to make horde units attack last (not to mention the battalion benefit of re-rolling 1s). Thats similar to our very popular spell itchy nuisance which has a  natural 55% chance of coming off before any unbinding attempts (so less than 55% effectively)

The carnage and tactical plays that can be made by making 2 enemy horde units attack last is one of the most valuable traits in the entire game. 

I believe it is one thing that everyone on these forums have undervalued or missed. 

Think of them as webspinner shamans each with itchy nuisance as their spell which cannot be unbinded with a casting value of 6.

Let me know if I've somewhat convinced you to reconsider them? Cheers mate.

Edited by GlitzFan
  • Like 1

That's a great case for the Flingers.  I wish a Stalktribe could hold more Spider-riders at 2000 points.  

I have 40 Spider-riders currently but they're certainly not the cheapest of battlelines.  Is it better to plop down a bunch of 5 model units with them or have a couple bigger, or even 1 max unit?  

My Spider-fang army is currently on the painting bench.  I have the following, 35 Spider riders I can fit with it all and Mork's Mushroom/Scuttletide at 2000 points, with the Skittermob.

Webspinner A-rok

Webspinner Shaman

Scuttleboss

5/5/5/10/15 model units of Spider-riders (limited by the commands and I like to match the abdomens for differentiating units)

Troggoth Hag

2 Fungoid Cave Shaman

If I went pure Spiderfang I'd probably go 2 Skittermobs and 2 Webspinner A-roks, but that striking last Flinger effect is super sweet.  The SpiderCluster helps them hit too I think?  A very needed effect.

• Thanks 1

Thanks man. I reckon that running 5 is not ideal because you lose the banner and drummer. And youbwint be able to get the a-rok webspinner spell into multiple 5 man spider units usually. 

Running 10 you get the drummer and banner. And you can get almost all 10 in most fights. Having more than 10, it's so hard to get them all into 1 inch range. 

Running 30 does five you the horde discount and I guess serves a different purpose to the 10 man unit. And you could possibly always have them buffed by a-rok shaman. 

The superbattalion is not worth all of the 3 battalion points it offers. And I have 4 artefacts that but 2 or 3 heros at best. 

• Thanks 1

Here is the list I would ruble for the superbattalion:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount 
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider(280)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Headdress of Many Eyes 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God

Battleline
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
5 x Spider Riders (100)

Behemoths

Battalions
Arachnarok Spider Cluster (100)
Spiderfang Stalk (110)
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

You could swap out the webspinner and add the mushroom for 2000 points if you'd prefer.

• Like 1

I'm half done with my 30 Spider Riders, and am on the fence about keeping 2 Fungoid Shaman in my army and having 3 Rockgut Troggoths to Hand-of-Gork across the table.....or dropping 1 Fungoid and the Rockguts to have 10 more Spider Riders for a total of 40.  I see people saying to have more bodies so maybe take Stabbas or Shootas, but wow they are so bad in minimum units, and if I take 40 Shootas I'd have to drop Scuttletide (which in my experience is awesome and annoying for the enemy, which was me 3 times).

The Rockguts are sort of a distraction 'Carnifex' unit and pretty tough, and can actually threaten stuff.  But only 3 models vs the 10 of the Spider Riders I could get.

Separate question; is there every a good reason to be taking the Curse of da Spider God?  Are there many enemies who will ever be hitting, wounding or saving on a 2+, necessitating an auto fail on unmodified 1s & 2s?  Can't quite remember, was it just one of those actions to fail on 1s & 2s?

I reckon if you wanna try to play pure spiders then the decision is an easy one.

I don't own trolls so cant say much but their stats look amazing. And i think they wpuld look cool in a spider army! 

Stabbas are always a good option

What is your list btw? 

I have:

Scuttleboss (general)

Webspinner on A-rok 

Webspinner on foot

Troggth Hag

2x Fungoid Cave Shaman

3x10 Spider Riders

3 Rockgut Troggoths

SpiderRider Skittermob

Mork's Mushroom

Scuttletide

Very wizard heavy, but I like the Gitz spells, and I don't have another magic heavy army (until the new Tzeentch comes out)……  My friend says I should convert the Hag into a Spider-Hag with a big nasty egg-sack.  I don't see how I can not do that now!