AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

What I'd like to see for Spiderfang

Spider Riders, Skitterstrand down 10 points. Spider Riders should also be 480 points for a maximum unit (to incentivise taking hordes of them)

Flinger down 20 points

Webspinner on foot and Webspinner on Arachnarok are fine as they are points wise.

The Warparty seems fine for its points. What would make this army also interesting is if it becomes battleline if the Webspinner on Arachnarok is the general (so that there looks like other general options). I think even a slight points increase to 260 for this would be worthwhile.

6 hours ago, GlitzFan said:

is it worth taking 2 webspinners on aracknarok knowing that their +1 to cast does not stack to +2 to cast?

Yes. The buff that they do is key to Spiderfang synergy and so taking two gives you redundancy for this effect.

16 hours ago, GlitzFan said:

is it worth taking 2 webspinners on aracknarok knowing that their +1 to cast does not stack to +2 to cast?

Actually just saw a discussion on Facebook about this. The bonus does stack now!

Per the Core Rule FAQ (page 1)

Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit, can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version? Do I have to use any errata that applies to the warscroll? A: You must use the most recently published warscroll and errata that you or your opponent have available. Warscrolls with a date of publication are always considered to have been published more recently than a warscroll that doesn’t have one. If you have two warscrolls for a unit and neither has a date of publication, you can choose which warscroll to use.

The Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider warscroll was updated through Azyr to read:

Catchweb Spidershrine

Add 1 to casting and unbinding rolls for friendly Spiderfang Wizards while they are within 12" of this model.

The Last Update field for the Warscroll reads as June 2019, making it the most recently published warscroll. HOWEVER it no longer lists the ability of granting +2 to Bravery for Spiderfang units if it's the general.

• LOVE IT! 1

Total of the spider god:

While a friendly spiderfang unit is wholly within 12" of the bearer, it's spider venom ability causes mortal won we on an unmodified hit roll of 5+ instead of 6.

Does this mean that only one single unit can be affected and not multiple within 12"? Does this also mean that the hero with the artefact can use it on themself (is there a FAQ stating models are wholly within themselves?)

THnaks in advance 

6 hours ago, GlitzFan said:

Total of the spider god:

While a friendly spiderfang unit is wholly within 12" of the bearer, it's spider venom ability causes mortal won we on an unmodified hit roll of 5+ instead of 6.

Does this mean that only one single unit can be affected and not multiple within 12"? Does this also mean that the hero with the artefact can use it on themself (is there a FAQ stating models are wholly within themselves?)

THnaks in advance 

It effects any Spiderfang unit with Spider Venom wholly within 12" of the bearer, this includes the bearer. Keep in mind though, If you take The Black Spear with your Scuttleboss, the Totem does not effect The Black Spear's abilities.

Some meeting Engagement list I been thinking about using with Spiderfang as a core

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
SPEARHEAD
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90) - Lore of the Moonclans : The Hand of Gork
5 x Spider Riders (100)
MAIN BODY
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300) - General - Artefact :  Headdress of Many Eyes  - Lore of the Spiderfangs : Sneaky Distraction
10 x Spider Riders (200)
20 x Shootas (130)
REARGUARD
12 x Squig Herd (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Scuttletide (30)

990/1000

or

SPEARHEAD
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100) - General - Command Trait : Monstrous Mount  - Artefact :  Totem of the Spider God  
6 x Squig Herd (70)
MAIN BODY
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300) - Lore of the Spiderfangs : Sneaky Distraction
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
REARGUARD
20 x Shootas (130)

1000/1000

New point changes actually have me really excited! I doubt it, but I'm wondering if a 1-drop Stalktribe might actually be viable now:

Leaders:

Scuttleboss (General)
Webspinner Shaman on A-rok
Webspinner Shaman
Webspinner Shaman

Battleline:

2x 10-man Spider Riders

2x 5-man Spider Riders

Behemoths:

A-rok w/ Warparty
A-rok w/ Warparty

Battalions:

Arachnarok Spider Cluster
Spider Rider Skitterswarm
Spiderfang Stalktribe

Endless Spells:
Scuttletide
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldren

On 7/6/2019 at 9:59 PM, Newtype_Zero said:

Actually just saw a discussion on Facebook about this. The bonus does stack now!

Per the Core Rule FAQ (page 1)

Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit, can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version? Do I have to use any errata that applies to the warscroll? A: You must use the most recently published warscroll and errata that you or your opponent have available. Warscrolls with a date of publication are always considered to have been published more recently than a warscroll that doesn’t have one. If you have two warscrolls for a unit and neither has a date of publication, you can choose which warscroll to use.

The Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider warscroll was updated through Azyr to read:

Catchweb Spidershrine

Add 1 to casting and unbinding rolls for friendly Spiderfang Wizards while they are within 12" of this model.

The Last Update field for the Warscroll reads as June 2019, making it the most recently published warscroll. HOWEVER it no longer lists the ability of granting +2 to Bravery for Spiderfang units if it's the general.

I came in here to get all "well, actually" on you, but look at that, the Azyr app does include a "date of publication" on the warscroll, and it is newer than the battletome.

If I'm not mistaken, the June 2019 version of the warscroll in the app is actually the pre-battletome version.  So it seems like it is an error that it is there, and the battletome version is what should be in there.  And the normal warscroll update procedure is not to stealth-buff or stealth-nerf warscolls via the app with no mention in the official FAQ.  These two factors are enough for me that I would (and will) use the battletome version and not the app version in my own games, but I don't have a leg to stand on to insist that my opponent does the same.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I came in here to get all "well, actually" on you, but look at that, the Azyr app does include a "date of publication" on the warscroll, and it is newer than the battletome.

If I'm not mistaken, the June 2019 version of the warscroll in the app is actually the pre-battletome version.  So it seems like it is an error that it is there, and the battletome version is what should be in there.  And the normal warscroll update procedure is not to stealth-buff or stealth-nerf warscolls via the app with no mention in the official FAQ.  These two factors are enough for me that I would (and will) use the battletome version and not the app version in my own games, but I don't have a leg to stand on to insist that my opponent does the same.

I could honestly go either way for it. Depends on if you're a RAW or RAI type person. I fully believe the intent is that the BT version of the rule is what should be there. However, this different warscroll has been in Azyr since at least April and was re-published in June with the updated date, so we can't know for sure. I would imagine if this were brought up in a tournament, a judge would rule that you need to go with the RAW (FAQ says to go with Azyr version, not the BT version). Hopefully they'll clarify it eventually.

18 hours ago, Newtype_Zero said:

New point changes actually have me really excited! I doubt it, but I'm wondering if a 1-drop Stalktribe might actually be viable now:

Leaders:

Scuttleboss (General)
Webspinner Shaman on A-rok
Webspinner Shaman
Webspinner Shaman

Battleline:

2x 10-man Spider Riders

2x 5-man Spider Riders

Behemoths:

A-rok w/ Warparty
A-rok w/ Warparty

Battalions:

Arachnarok Spider Cluster
Spider Rider Skitterswarm
Spiderfang Stalktribe

Endless Spells:
Scuttletide
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldren

Pretty much what I'm going to run going forward, though I'm not taking the arachnacauldron and only 1 shaman on foot, but 3 units of 10 spiders

I thought about 3 units of 10, but I think 2 units of 5 and 2 units of 10 gives you a bit more flexibility. If you're not taking the cauldron and the other Shaman on foot what would you take instead? Another unit of 5 Spider Riders and maybe a 20 point Endless Spell? I would imagine the extra Shaman would be better since it gives you the extra bubble of re-rolling 1s for saves with the Stalktribe.

Think I’m going to try this out.

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction

Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God

Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount  
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God  

10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (230)

Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Malevolent Moon (40)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)
Scuttletide (30)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Newtype_Zero said:

I thought about 3 units of 10, but I think 2 units of 5 and 2 units of 10 gives you a bit more flexibility. If you're not taking the cauldron and the other Shaman on foot what would you take instead? Another unit of 5 Spider Riders and maybe a 20 point Endless Spell? I would imagine the extra Shaman would be better since it gives you the extra bubble of re-rolling 1s for saves with the Stalktribe.

Scuttleboss with masterful spider rider and totem

Shaman on Arachnarok with headdress and scuttling terrors

Shaman with nibbles itty ring and gift of the spider God

10 spiders

10 spiders

10 spiders

5 spiders

Arachnarok with warparty

Arachnarok with warparty

Skitterswarm

Spider cluster

Stalltribe