AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 5/4/2019 at 1:39 AM, Saodexan said:

You need 10 for 1 or 20 for 2, drummers and totems, because of the FAQ (Khorne Battletome).  So the first guy was right.

image.png
I hope it help you. 

Thank you...i was that first guy and was second guessing myself.  Thanks for clearing it up and the FAQ reference.

8 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

So If I have 10 spider riders, you can take one of each, correct? Or do you have to choose one or the other, until you buy 20. 

You are correct, you can take both with 10. Like any musician and standard bearer in other unit.

Can someone provide critique of this list. ? I really like the idea of running 50 spiders and some big gribblies. Don’t have a game under my belt yet. Still building and painting the army but this is what I’m aiming for...

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- General
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God  
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact:  Gryph-feather charm
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction

Battleline
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (250)

Battalions
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

• Like 2

On 5/9/2019 at 5:28 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Can someone provide critique of this list. ? I really like the idea of running 50 spiders and some big gribblies. Don’t have a game under my belt yet. Still building and painting the army but this is what I’m aiming for...

It's a very fun list. Just be aware that we're not competitive with top tier armies or even middle tier running serious lists, so if you run into those armies played by competent players it will be a very rough game for you. The only thing you should add is a Scuttleboss. Not only is it an amazing model, even being resin, but it can put out a surprising amount of MW with Monstrous Mount and the Black Fang. Other than that you should run what you want to run!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Intrinsic said:

It's a very fun list. Just be aware that we're not competitive with top tier armies or even middle tier running serious lists, so if you run into those armies played by competent players it will be a very rough game for you. The only thing you should add is a Scuttleboss. Not only is it an amazing model, even being resin, but it can put out a surprising amount of MW with Monstrous Mount and the Black Fang. Other than that you should run what you want to run!

I consider my self a very good player.  It will definitely take some time to get a list together that’s competitive..but it will happen. 

For he scuttleboss to be good, it requires both being the general (losing +2 bravery bubble of 24” from a-rok) and an Artefact. I’m not willing to give up an Artefact especially when I mainly picked the skitterswarm battalion for the extra Artefact. Maybe Injust need to try it, but pumping that into a 6 wound character makes him a HUGE target. 

13 hours ago, MacDuff said:

How good is a single giant spider with no riders in a basically Moonclan Gitz army? I'm wondering if I need a spider shaman and spider riders too.

I would say that the Scuttleboss is probably the best combat hero in the army in regards to cost/benefit ratio.  I would also say that he has better options for magic items than the various Loonbosses do - since there are 2 Spiderfang relics that are quite compelling for him and really no standouts for the Loonbosses (In my opinion).  If you are looking for an inexpensive combat hero and don’t need synergy then he is a good choice.  If you have a spare relic you can give him then he gets even better.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1

Painting up my gitz right now, anyone have tryed a list simulat to this one ? 

LEADERS
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100) - General
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
UNITS
20 x Spider Riders (400)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
60 x Stabbas (360) - Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
BATTALIONS
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Scuttletide (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

15 hours ago, trarux said:

Painting up my gitz right now, anyone have tryed a list simulat to this one ? 

LEADERS
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100) - General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
UNITS
20 x Spider Riders (400)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
60 x Stabbas (360) - Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
BATTALIONS
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Scuttletide (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

Spider Rider Skitterswarm needs 3+ units of Spider Riders. You've only got two.

I'm thinking about getting into the Spiderfang.  The Gitz seem to have what my other armies lack, and that's speed (with the spider riders) and decent wizardry.  I like the Skitterswarm/Mob, as 12" flying over terrain is pretty sweet, and it fits in the battleliners and a good general.  The mortal wound potential of the Spider Riders is good too, and they get quite a lot of, albeit mediocre, attacks per turn if we include the spider bows.  I'd plop a Scuttleboss in there for sure as the ArachnaShaman can't take a command trait, which sucks.  

For Scuttleboss I was thinking the Master Rider for +4" move, and the Totem of the Spider God for the 5+ venom hits.  Then with the big Shaman's Venom spell that's some good biting!  And with a couple CPs, courtesy of a Fungoid Shaman and battalion bonus, the Spiders could move/run 18" and reroll charges I think, then if we're lucky the WebShaman on foot will have done the run and shoot/charge spell.  

I'm thinking a Spiderfang army with my Troggoth Hag and at least 1 Fungoid Shaman and the Endless Spells  (at least the Scuttletide and Mushroom) would be pretty sweet.  Don't know if the big whole Spiderfang Stalktribe is worth going for, though rerolling saves of 1 is good; I think it takes like a minimum of 1700 points to do that one so not much room for much else.  Hopefully the new GHB will reduce our points a little bit.  

On 5/22/2019 at 5:23 PM, mcbrain said:

I've taken 2 in a list with the skitterstrand swarm battalion to good effect (4-2 at cancon)

Are the Skitterstrands good like a 'distraction Carnifex'?  Or can they actually do some work?  They seem a little light on the damage output for their points to me, though I do love the deepstriking monster.  Is it worth taking 3 to get the +3 to charge when they all pop up in the battalion?  Or too many points there to sink?

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Are the Skitterstrands good like a 'distraction Carnifex'?  Or can they actually do some work?  They seem a little light on the damage output for their points to me, though I do love the deepstriking monster.  Is it worth taking 3 to get the +3 to charge when they all pop up in the battalion?  Or too many points there to sink?

Mostly a distraction, but if left unchecked can do some real damage with the proper buffs.  I took cogs in that list to give them an extra +2 to their charge, so the 9" deepstrike became 5" (still failed a couple over the 6 games, but hey, its a dice game).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

With the FAQ/errata around the corner, are there any rumors/wishlists for points adjustments? I personally think every variant of the Arachnaroks needs to come down 20-40 points, but they seem to be taking a very light hand to the points adjustments.... much to the shagrin of my Nurgle army.  

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

With the FAQ/errata around the corner, are there any rumors/wishlists for points adjustments? I personally think every variant of the Arachnaroks needs to come down 20-40 points, but they seem to be taking a very light hand to the points adjustments.... much to the shagrin of my Nurgle army.  

I think riders coming down to 90 or 80 pt. would be a good change

I feel like Flingers and War party variant would have to be cheaper to be more compelling choice and I am not sure if 10-20 pt. change would do it.

Honestly, I not sure if the Arackno Shaman would get a point decrease since they seem ok at 300 Pt.

Yeah the Wesbpinner variant is fine at 300 points imo.  Doesn't need to change.

The others need to come WAY down to be even worth considering.  The Flinga is almost irredeemably bad and was a huge wasted opportunity. 

The Skitterstrand is the one that could see some play, but it would have to be 200 points maximum to be worth considering.

More likely is that all variants other than the Webspinner come down 20 points each and continue to never see any play.

Spider Riders on the other hand... a 10 to 20 point drop could make them really interesting!  Fingers crossed for that.

4 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah the Wesbpinner variant is fine at 300 points imo.  Doesn't need to change.

The others need to come WAY down to be even worth considering.  The Flinga is almost irredeemably bad and was a huge wasted opportunity. 

The Skitterstrand is the one that could see some play, but it would have to be 200 points maximum to be worth considering.

More likely is that all variants other than the Webspinner come down 20 points each and continue to never see any play.

Spider Riders on the other hand... a 10 to 20 point drop could make them really interesting!  Fingers crossed for that.

I disagree, I think the Webspinner Arachnrok should come down about 20 points. While yes, it can cast two spells, it has no kind of save against Mortal Wounds and pales in attack comparison to other Monsters. I think it should sit closer to 280 or even 275.

21 minutes ago, Newtype_Zero said:

I disagree, I think the Webspinner Arachnrok should come down about 20 points. While yes, it can cast two spells, it has no kind of save against Mortal Wounds and pales in attack comparison to other Monsters. I think it should sit closer to 280 or even 275.

It's a power caster (2 spells and an unbind all at +1 native) that can hold its own in a scrap.  It's not a combat monster as such but it can clear minimum Battleline off an Objective for example, and stand up to things like most cavalry without folding like a deck of cards in the way a smaller wizard would.  Its warscroll spell is huge for all units it synergises with, and it has access to a spell lore which has one key inclusion - the -1 to hit bubble.

He also has access to another (excellent) spell lore via the Cauldron, casting and unbinding at +2 then.  And access to (and bonus to cast) a further powerful Endless Spell in the Scuttletide (look out for a points increase on that one btw).

Finally, because it's a Hero it can cap objectives in certain scenarios and take artefacts, so you could give it Ignax Scales for example if Mortal Wounds is a big concern.  14 MWs is a lot of output for most armies though.  The Hero keyword alone puts it miles ahead of the other variants and is worth 50 points imo.

I find it really annoying that it doesn't have the Grot keyword, and can't take a proper Command Trait, because Destruction.  Greater Daemons for example have absurdly generous keywords and much more brutal Command Trait loadouts, but GW just wouldn't run the risk of something we have being "too good".  

I think we're probably just going to end up going round in circles and we might have to agree to disagree on this one - but for the reasons above, I think 300 points is spot on.  He's already a competitive option and if you see the pieces he synergises with (mostly Spider Riders) pointed a bit more keenly, you could really see him shine.

24 minutes ago, novakai said:

I think with the flinger it should have been design to hit the target on a 4+ and then 2+ when aiming at hordes.

currently it just too unreliable and shouldn't cost more then the warparty to begin with.

You've hit the nail on the head there.  Couldn't agree more.

One shot hitting on 6s is ridiculous, wtf were they thinking there! 

Starting at 6s and getting down to 4s is just feeble, it should have started at 4s and gone down to 2s.