Chris Tomlin

This is where I'm going with my Spiderfang

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Webspinner Shaman (80)

Battleline
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
5 x Spider Riders (100)
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 6x Barbed Nets
- 2x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (250)

Battalions
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Scuttletide (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

Essentially, I'm looking at emphasising the strengths of what Spiderfang do which is that they're exceptionally mobile and that they are glass cannons.

The idea is to control the movement of the board somewhat with the big blocking scuttletide and the soulsnare shackles.

Similarly, the Geminids are there to support the army with its debuffing ability, trying to negate the return damage on the Spiders.

Currently for spells, I'm looking at Sneaky Distraction on the Grpyh-feather Arachnarok, Venomous Spiderlings on the Totem one and Gift on the Shaman on foot to support all 3 Arachnaroks.

I've opted for only 40 Stabbas, as I kind of want them to be able to be killed at some point in the battle so that I can recycle them through the Loonshrine and redeploy to try and grab another objective.

I think putting The Black Fang on the Scuttleboss is a trap. It looks amazing, but I think it's too juicy a target. Monstrous Mount + Venom Spell should be able to accomplish pretty much anything you need to do with him.

The Grpyh-feather A-rok with Sneaky Distraction and Geminids becomes very difficult to kill at a -3 to hit.. IE things that used to hit on 3's now hit on 6's.

I think the way to go with Spiderfang will be choosing the battles you want to do and then debuffing appropriately. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcbrain said:

Spider riders are good, but at the end of the day, they’re light cavalry. Any sort of real oomph they provide you is a bonus. 

Thank you sir.  Very helpful.  I think the scuttleboss will deminish usefulness as people figure out how scary he can be and how easily he dies.

I also need to remember the spiders are light cavalry...i think that is a good perspective to have and not use them in the wrong way.

I was thinking something similar for a list but would think 40 grots are better than 2 x 20.  

im starting a new spiderfdang army so my friends wont bully me for playing stormcast XD, already got 30 cheap, broken spiders off facebook. i also ordered a gigantic spider. im then gonna buy a arachnorok. What should i buy after that?

Also have anyone tried the spiderfang spell? seems like it would work pretty well as a tool to block the path of bigger units.

TIA 😄

1 hour ago, mcbrain said:

Yep, I'd say 3 arachnaroks and 45+ spider riders is a decent place to start.

Do you think Its worth it to insert a block of 60 stabbas in lieu of some spider riders? I'm going moonclan first, so I'll have the grots painted. Right now I have 3 arachnaroks, a scuttleboss, and 25 spider riders. I was hoping to not pick up anymore spiders for a long time, what with skaven tome coming out and all.   Between these 2 times I'm basically gonna want 8 differentarmies....

Yeah I used stabbas in my CanCon list and I think they were awesome. You might not have the points for 60, depending on your endless spells and the kit of your arachnaroks. But stabbas are great for holding home objectives or hand of gorking across the board to steal your opponent’s. 

Edited by mcbrain

• 2 weeks later...

i played my first game with spider fang, went really good and i really enjoy how spiderfang play! 8 spiderriders withh all the buffs charged into arkhan and killed him in 1 turn! i like the glass-cannon playstyle. thought i'd lose for sure when my opponent gave my riders -4 bravery, but despite them loosing 12 riders, they still did a ton of work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been pouring over this battletome while I build and paint up my force. I have a few thoughts:

1. The loon boss on mangler squig is as good as the shaman on Arok. He damage potential is REALLY good. His command ability and an inate +1 to hit when charging makes all of his attacks hitting AND wounding on either 2s or 3s with some good rend and high damage attacks. Its a missile that does even more damage when he dies for the same points as Arok Shamen.. but a different role. I see him as a sledehammer with the arok shamen being more of scalpel unit.  I also love how his profile degrades as he gets hurt then goes back up to full by the end as he gets angry >_<

2. I REALLY like the malevolent moon. Way more then the arok cauldron. -1/-2 casting and d3 mortal wounds for anything that it touches?! and it CANT POSSIBLY hurt gitz units! 50 points. That sound really good to me. Which leads me to my next point...

3.... instead of the cauldron, why not bring a fungoid cave shamen, take the hand of gork spell (in my case I will take the squig lure to make LBoMS run and charge... our army is so fast teleport is nice.. but not exactly needed). and also generate 2-3 cp a game for free! And he gets a turn with 2 casts. There isnt really another CLEAR CUT winner for spells from the moonclan list except itchy nuisance. but I think you will get more utility from using the FCS instead of managing the cauldron. It only really works on the Arok shamen,  but a few turns of taking d3 mortal wounds plus enemy fire is going to severely gimp a damage dealer. 

4. I wont be relying on the light of the bad moon for buffs. Taking squig lure to make sure the LBoMS can run and charge, and totem of the spider god to make sure Im getting some 5+ MW hits from the riders. If I double up, I double up but relying on the path of the moon to be perfectly timed with such crucial buffs is not something I want to leave to chance. 

5. Scuttletide is so effing good for 30 points. 

6. The low key buffs to spider riders as DOPE. +2 move base, and ESSENTIALLY +2 bravery base increase are great. With all the CP this army can generate though, inspiring presence doesnt seem like it will be hard to come "spam"

On 3/8/2019 at 8:24 AM, sal4m4nd3r said:

So I have been pouring over this battletome while I build and paint up my force. I have a few thoughts:

1. The loon boss on mangler squig is as good as the shaman on Arok. He damage potential is REALLY good. His command ability and an inate +1 to hit when charging makes all of his attacks hitting AND wounding on either 2s or 3s with some good rend and high damage attacks. Its a missile that does even more damage when he dies for the same points as Arok Shamen.. but a different role. I see him as a sledehammer with the arok shamen being more of scalpel unit.  I also love how his profile degrades as he gets hurt then goes back up to full by the end as he gets angry >_<

2. I REALLY like the malevolent moon. Way more then the arok cauldron. -1/-2 casting and d3 mortal wounds for anything that it touches?! and it CANT POSSIBLY hurt gitz units! 50 points. That sound really good to me. Which leads me to my next point...

3.... instead of the cauldron, why not bring a fungoid cave shamen, take the hand of gork spell (in my case I will take the squig lure to make LBoMS run and charge... our army is so fast teleport is nice.. but not exactly needed). and also generate 2-3 cp a game for free! And he gets a turn with 2 casts. There isnt really another CLEAR CUT winner for spells from the moonclan list except itchy nuisance. but I think you will get more utility from using the FCS instead of managing the cauldron. It only really works on the Arok shamen,  but a few turns of taking d3 mortal wounds plus enemy fire is going to severely gimp a damage dealer. 

4. I wont be relying on the light of the bad moon for buffs. Taking squig lure to make sure the LBoMS can run and charge, and totem of the spider god to make sure Im getting some 5+ MW hits from the riders. If I double up, I double up but relying on the path of the moon to be perfectly timed with such crucial buffs is not something I want to leave to chance. 

5. Scuttletide is so effing good for 30 points. 

6. The low key buffs to spider riders as DOPE. +2 move base, and ESSENTIALLY +2 bravery base increase are great. With all the CP this army can generate though, inspiring presence doesnt seem like it will be hard to come "spam"

Perfect, now to put it all into a 2k list.

The Cauldron does a bit more than simply give the wizard access to the Moonclan spell lore.  Until they change how this works it currently is a separate model that is treated as an extension of the caster's model.  This is potentially significant since it currently allows for some pretty janky play.  For example, you can make any attacks using the cauldron model as the point of origin.  It also means that any aura or targetable abilities/spells extend from the cauldron in addition to the caster's model.

For this reason I would not necessarily rule out how useful the cauldron can be.  Evaluate it in the context of a list and the model that is using it before.

Have had a bunch of the Forest Goblin models from the Arachnarok kit setting around since End Times (about 60 I got off eBay). Got around to getting them together into a spider army. Here is my Scuttleboss and my first batch of Stabbas mocked up. Just waiting for a big order of bases to get here to get the rest of the army off the ground.

8BC9957D-71DA-4CFE-BE67-B4A83AB60FEA.jpeg

DCA5613A-478E-48A9-BC8F-00E7AC12471D.jpeg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 3/21/2019 at 12:54 AM, TheWilddog said:

Have had a bunch of the Forest Goblin models from the Arachnarok kit setting around since End Times (about 60 I got off eBay). Got around to getting them together into a spider army. Here is my Scuttleboss and my first batch of Stabbas mocked up. Just waiting for a big order of bases to get here to get the rest of the army off the ground.

8BC9957D-71DA-4CFE-BE67-B4A83AB60FEA.jpeg

DCA5613A-478E-48A9-BC8F-00E7AC12471D.jpeg

I wish I had a whole heap of the crew as my Stabbas, instead I'm using a crapton of Grot Scuttlings from Silver Tower.

To create my netters, it seems to me that Spiderfang would make their nets out of Spider Webs. It makes perfect sense and is a material they would have in abundance.

I've been using dryer sheets as spiderweb material for the bases of my spiders (pic below) and how I'm intending on translating that into netters is by bending thin rod/paperclips into a net outline and then draping the sheet over to create the net. I'll be leaving some of the errant wisps around the outside as it kinda looks cool on the bases.

55826892_10156718152580862_9104135111833

Anyway, thought that might work for you too as those offhands look like perfect candidates to do a similar technique to have nets without too much conversion work required.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 3/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Gitz just aren't effected by the minus to casting from the moon. The MWs are a separate ability which doesn't state that Gitz are uneffected.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rangeltoft said:

Quick question: Is its possible to magnetize the War Party bitz on the Archanarok so that you can run the same models as both war party and skitterstrand?

/Cheers Rangeltoft

It can be done,yes:)

Ive yet to finish mine but have built it without attaching any of the howda,flinger or shrine bits.The Howda is probably the main piece to magnetize and it attatches in several locations so should only need 2-3 contact points magnetized.

1 hour ago, Thostos said:

It can be done,yes:)

Ive yet to finish mine but have built it without attaching any of the howda,flinger or shrine bits.The Howda is probably the main piece to magnetize and it attatches in several locations so should only need 2-3 contact points magnetized.

Sounds good! then I can go ahead and order a few big spiders and get to work on them.

/Cheers Rangeltoft

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a few postings in a FB group today about banners and drums in Spider Rider units. One poster said that you can only have a Totem Bearer and a Drummer if you have 10 models in the unit. The other poster said that the way rule reads "1 in every 10 models in this unit can be a Bone Drummer." and "1 in every 10 models in this unit can be a Spider Totem Bearer." means that if you have 10 or less models in the unit, you can have 1 Totem Barer and 1 Bone Drummer; if you have 11 - 20 models, you can have two of each, if you have 21 - 30, you can have 3, etc.

Both were right that the FAQ doesn't address this at all. Is there an official ruling on interpreting that rule?

7 hours ago, Newtype_Zero said:

Saw a few postings in a FB group today about banners and drums in Spider Rider units. One poster said that you can only have a Totem Bearer and a Drummer if you have 10 models in the unit. The other poster said that the way rule reads "1 in every 10 models in this unit can be a Bone Drummer." and "1 in every 10 models in this unit can be a Spider Totem Bearer." means that if you have 10 or less models in the unit, you can have 1 Totem Barer and 1 Bone Drummer; if you have 11 - 20 models, you can have two of each, if you have 21 - 30, you can have 3, etc.

Both were right that the FAQ doesn't address this at all. Is there an official ruling on interpreting that rule?

You need 10 for 1 or 20 for 2, drummers and totems, because of the FAQ (Khorne Battletome).  So the first guy was right.

image.png
I hope it help you. 

Edited by Saodexan