AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pseudonyme said:

My own rule of cool (from a total newbie): use as many different units I can. So I would say endless spells instead of 2 shamans.

Be aware that I am a complete newbie who prefers painting different minis than to run a optimised list :)

Yeah, but because of the december (?) release, i dont wanna buy other minis :D good thing is: i have to paint them all for the tournament...which is a lot easier to do when i „cant“ buy new models 

@Warboss Micha

When you say two shamans, do you mean two different ones (like fungoid cave shaman and moonclan shaman), or two of the same? If two different ones then I think you're solid ;) but by all means experiment with endless spells a bit if you want. The difference between two shamans, or one shaman + endless spells comes down to personal preference, since both options allow you plenty of potential damage/utility, so experimenting with it to see what fits your own playstyle is probably the way to go :)

26 minutes ago, Warboss Micha said:

Yeah i mean the two different ones :) 

now the only thing left is: whats the best loadout for the warboss?  I have no idea which artifact and trait 

You have a few options there which all depends on how you want to go about it. 

You could try to push the squig double (d3 to d6) damage potential to make your warboss an unexpected combat threat. Arming his squig with the ghyrstrike artifact from realm of life, or giving him battle brew from destruction artifacts. If he's your general, then might is right pushes him further in this direction. Alternatively, equipping him with blade of judgement (realm of shadow) onto his close combat moon prodder will give him a chance to obliterate enemy heroes and monsters with some lucky rolling, without betting it all on his squig alone. A third option would be the Aetherquartz brooch (realm of light) to conserve your highly important command points, at the cost of lessening his combat threat. These are just a few that come to mind.

Either way, I'd suggest making the fungoid cave shaman your general, since his command ability can only be used if he is. Bellowing tyrant or the one that gives him an extra wound is very useful :)

I'll also add that in my experience, using the warboss' command ability rarely pays off in a way that makes it worth using a command point for, and I have stopped using it altoghether in favour of reserving points for inspiring presence, or using the fungoid cave shaman's command ability for some tricksy outmaneuvering. Maybe others have similar experiences, or even counterpoints.

Hope that helps somewhat! :)

@Mayple This is probably slightly redundant now, with the new battletome on the way, but can you actually equip the squig with artefacts. It says "being accompanied by" when referring to the squig and the Gaping Maw is then directly attributed to the squig. Under the rules does that count as a "mount" for the purposes of no artefacts/traits?

22 minutes ago, Malakree said:

@Mayple This is probably slightly redundant now, with the new battletome on the way, but can you actually equip the squig with artefacts. It says "being accompanied by" when referring to the squig and the Gaping Maw is then directly attributed to the squig. Under the rules does that count as a "mount" for the purposes of no artefacts/traits?

I did look into that :) As far as we know, the squig is counted as a weapon due to there being no mention of treating it as a mount, nor it actually being one - with the core rules explaining how to handle command traits/artifacts in context of mounts, but not "companions', this is the current interpretation. Obviously the other moonclan warlord riding a squig would have his squig count as a mount ;)

but as you say, the new battletome will surely switch things up a bit, so this is only relevant until then.

Hero...? Hq? (I play 40k so that’s the terms I know)

zarbag (80pts)

skarsnik(warboss with big squish and moon prodder) general (100)

arachnarok with spider shaman(280)

battleline 

20 grots with spears (130)

20 grots with Spears (130)

other 

zarbags gits (80)

10 spider riders(100)

1000/1000

Just now, amysrevenge said:

The other bit we'll need to know is what other units/models you have available (or would be willing to purchase) to make changes.

I have 2 squiggling herders (plus the one from the zarbag box)

7 cave squigs (plus the 2 from zarbag)

zarbag could be a grit shaman if I need 

an going to get the fungus Snazzgar guy but for now I don’t have him

7 minutes ago, Killacat said:

Hero...? Hq? (I play 40k so that’s the terms I know)

zarbag (80pts)

skarsnik(warboss with big squish and moon prodder) general (100)

arachnarok with spider shaman(280)

battleline 

20 grots with spears (130)

20 grots with Spears (130)

other 

zarbags gits (80)

10 spider riders(100)

970/1000

Yes "Hero" is the correct term for AoS but if you use the Warscroll builder then they are categorized under the "Leader" section. 

While I am no Grots expert, there are some general questions you can ask yourself when building any army (assuming you are leaning towards a more competitive list):

• What is the goal of you army? Is it meant to destroy or "table" the opponent or go for objectives and points for example.
  • What is your local meta like? What kind of armies do you tend to face on a regular basis? Do you want to tweak your list to help fight against regularly faced opponents? 
  • In the games you've played with your army, were there any units that didn't seem to "pull their weight?" Maybe you can take a unit out and replace it with a more useful unit or add more models to an existing unit?
  • If you are thinking about looking into changing your army, consider other units you haven't used yet or maybe allies that you are allowed to run and see if they synergize with the goal of your army.

These are just a few thoughts to consider when building or modifying your army. Don't forget to consider endless spells if you want to go that route.

I’ll answer the questions one by one . 

The goal of my army is to be fun and wacky. I started playing due to the total war game( I’ve never actually played just the animated models inspired me) and sales I’m especially is near and dear to my heart. I guess I’m limiting myself as I hate orks and won’t run them. 

The meta has a lot of death, Nurgle, and Khorne In it

I don’t feel like any unit didn’t pull it’s weight, the spider boys and big big spider were a bit underwhelming however that may be due to personal errors in play. 

I want to get a whole lot more of everything and run a super grot horde but am waiting for the new release to get anything else

thank you sooo much for your time the help is super heartwarming!!

33 minutes ago, Killacat said:

I’ll answer the questions one by one . 

The goal of my army is to be fun and wacky. I started playing due to the total war game( I’ve never actually played just the animated models inspired me) and sales I’m especially is near and dear to my heart. I guess I’m limiting myself as I hate orks and won’t run them. 

The meta has a lot of death, Nurgle, and Khorne In it

I don’t feel like any unit didn’t pull it’s weight, the spider boys and big big spider were a bit underwhelming however that may be due to personal errors in play. 

I want to get a whole lot more of everything and run a super grot horde but am waiting for the new release to get anything else

thank you sooo much for your time the help is super heartwarming!!

Fun and wacky are definitely Grots' MO! Everyone loves a wacky Grot lol.

That sounds like a pretty tough meta you are dealing with. Again I am no Grot expert, but I imagine you can use your numbers to hold objectives and try to avoid combat unless you want to hold a high priority target down. 

The more games you play with them the more you'll know whether they are worth keeping in the army or not. Just keep trying!

Grots are definitely in the "horde" stereotype of an army, so be sure to use that to your advantage. You come at a good time because they are indeed getting some updates soon. Who knows what kind of cool updates are in store for the grots!

43 minutes ago, Killacat said:

I like the idea of at least one as I have 40 already and then maybe changing out the other battling requirements for squigs.

Alright! If it doesn't scare you too much, 60 moonclan grots is one of the most solid battleline units you'll ever come across. They have a 4+ save versus shooting, making them surprisingly durable, and their nets are such a strong tool that'll have your opponent's -elite- units fail miserably, and does a really good job of protecting key targets in close combat such as grot warbosses by simply standing next to them :) This also means that if a net model stands next to an enemy model attacking a river troll or collosal squig, the minus to hit from the trolls/squig will stack to a -2.  (Versus the squig/troll specifically)

I'll elaborate a bit on the nets, because they're -incredibly- strong when used right; Think of them like shields instead of nets, and deploy them accordingly. 9/10 times you'll want to deploy your models like this;

(Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot)
(Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot)

By spreading out the nets, you spread their coverage, as they'll only affect nearby -models-, which you can push to mean "Everything that can hit you are close enough to be affected by the nets" by positioning them correctly :) Mind that they have a 2" Inch attack range, so you can be quite liberal when they start piling in and your formation starts warping. 

I don't think you -need- more than a single unit full of 60 moonclan grots, as I've never experienced the unit dying. Their large numbers mean their bravery is also quite high (4+6 from the start, then 4+5 once they've taken a single casualty) (Since you get +1 bravery per 10 models) - So don't feel compelled to go "full horde" if you remain pure moonclan. Personally I run a mixed destruction right now, and my second blob consists of 60 gitmob grots with bows, who are well protected by the moonclan grots :)

tl;dr: A 60 grot blob of moonclan grots will serve you extremely well. Think of them as a deceptively durable tank unit, and don't run them headlong into something that can actually massacre them, and you will never lose it :D Any scenario where your opponent runs his stuff headlong into the net-covered side of it, you've achieved a positive outcome.

3 hours ago, Mayple said:

Alright! If it doesn't scare you too much, 60 moonclan grots is one of the most solid battleline units you'll ever come across. They have a 4+ save versus shooting, making them surprisingly durable, and their nets are such a strong tool that'll have your opponent's -elite- units fail miserably, and does a really good job of protecting key targets in close combat such as grot warbosses by simply standing next to them :) This also means that if a net model stands next to an enemy model attacking a river troll or collosal squig, the minus to hit from the trolls/squig will stack to a -2.  (Versus the squig/troll specifically)

I'll elaborate a bit on the nets, because they're -incredibly- strong when used right; Think of them like shields instead of nets, and deploy them accordingly. 9/10 times you'll want to deploy your models like this;

(Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot) (Net) (Grot)
(Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot) (Grot)

By spreading out the nets, you spread their coverage, as they'll only affect nearby -models-, which you can push to mean "Everything that can hit you are close enough to be affected by the nets" by positioning them correctly :) Mind that they have a 2" Inch attack range, so you can be quite liberal when they start piling in and your formation starts warping. 

I don't think you -need- more than a single unit full of 60 moonclan grots, as I've never experienced the unit dying. Their large numbers mean their bravery is also quite high (4+6 from the start, then 4+5 once they've taken a single casualty) (Since you get +1 bravery per 10 models) - So don't feel compelled to go "full horde" if you remain pure moonclan. Personally I run a mixed destruction right now, and my second blob consists of 60 gitmob grots with bows, who are well protected by the moonclan grots :)

tl;dr: A 60 grot blob of moonclan grots will serve you extremely well. Think of them as a deceptively durable tank unit, and don't run them headlong into something that can actually massacre them, and you will never lose it :D Any scenario where your opponent runs his stuff headlong into the net-covered side of it, you've achieved a positive outcome.

Thank you soooo much for the tips, your a life saver! Literally! You have just saved countless little gob’s lives. Also, I saw your grot conversions. I too am going for an armored grot look and they are very inspiring. What are your thoughts on fanatics as a unit? Thinking of picking a few up

2 minutes ago, Killacat said:

Thank you soooo much for the tips, your a life saver! Literally! You have just saved countless little gob’s lives. Also, I saw your grot conversions. I too am going for an armored grot look and they are very inspiring. What are your thoughts on fanatics as a unit? Thinking of picking a few up

No problem :) And thanks! 

Can't go wrong with fanatics. You can either use them to block enemy charges, or just mash them together in one big (6 grot) unit and mash things apart. They pair up exceptionally well with a full unit of moonclan grots, since you know for sure they'll stick around to unleash them, and not die horribly before you get a chance to do so. 

A small trick with the fanatics if you want to go on the offensive, but won't be able to follow up with the regular moonclan grots; have the moonclan grots take a run action and run them closer to what you want to hit. The "No charge if you ran this turn" doesn't affect the fanatics themselves, since they only deploy at the start of the charge phase. You can get some cheeky charges off this way.

Also expect them to die after they've hit whatever you send them at. They're essentially bombers in that regard. If they last more than one round, that's a huge bonus, but never something you should expect. Send them at big chunky targets as a priority, or squishy heroes - only send them into an infantry blob if you have no better targets to choose from, and feel compelled to use them right then and there. Patience can be rewarding when it comes to those guys. 

Also also; ( ;) ) In a big 60 grot blob, the coverage of where you can unleash your fanatics from is actually very wide, which gives you a lot of flexibility in where you want to deploy them from. 

Archived