AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Remus Prime said:

I was looking at my old Battle for Skull Pass set I’ve not done anything with, and I can’t figure out if the little Grot boss would count as having a “great” squig or not.  Maybe his squig is just small boned!  Is his weapon a Moon-slicer?

B4C20959-E1F3-4057-B30C-54A14F3F5F00.jpeg

Personally I would just use him as a Warboss with Moonslicer. It's not as good as the Prodder and Giant Squig, but it is what he has. It is not really a giant squig, it's actually small for a squig.

Technically he is a valid replacement for Skarsnik. He has a Moon shaped "Prodder," a personal squig, and the official  Warhammer Community basing guide has all "On Foot" Warbosses on 28mm bases. This includes Skarsnik as he shares a Warscroll with the generic boss. It kind of feels wrong to me personally though. It feels cheesy. I actually use that fella as a Shaman.

Now I see Prodder and Giant Squig warboss typically put on a 60mm base, so maybe you can make a scenic 60mm base with some more squigs to bulk him up?

4 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Personally I would just use him as a Warboss with Moonslicer. It's not as good as the Prodder and Giant Squig, but it is what he has. It is not really a giant squig, it's actually small for a squig.

Technically he is a valid replacement for Skarsnik. He has a Moon shaped "Prodder," a personal squig, and the official  Warhammer Community basing guide has all "On Foot" Warbosses on 28mm bases. This includes Skarsnik as he shares a Warscroll with the generic boss. It kind of feels wrong to me personally though. It feels cheesy. I actually use that fella as a Shaman.

Now I see Prodder and Giant Squig warboss typically put on a 60mm base, so maybe you can make a scenic 60mm base with some more squigs to bulk him up?

Thanks, I think using him as a shaman is a good idea, or just sticking with no squig boss.  I might try and come up with creative artefact names for the squig!  

On 9/2/2018 at 2:52 PM, dirkdragonslayer said:

I feel like he's a fine replacement. The Faq states all Warbosses should be on 25mm which obviously Skarsnik wont fit on. I have that model on a base that I built up a little and no one has has a problem with it. I imagine we'll get some new Heroes/Kits once the tome comes as we kinda lack proper kits for our Warboss options.

3 hours ago, Mr.Pengwinn said:

I feel like he's a fine replacement. The Faq states all Warbosses should be on 25mm which obviously Skarsnik wont fit on. I have that model on a base that I built up a little and no one has has a problem with it. I imagine we'll get some new Heroes/Kits once the tome comes as we kinda lack proper kits for our Warboss options.

Yea at least it is likely Moonclan will get a full proper update so I'd expect at least 2-3 new hero options on top of the current options.

Meanwhile BoC players have to kiss Beastlords with Great Weapons/Shields and Doombulls with Hand Weapons/Shields goodbye since those models don't exist!

I am curious also just how many troggoths will show up. I'm sure we'll get a unit of new shroom troggoths, but I wonder if it'll also involve a troggoth near the size of the troggoth hag. I like huge trolls, never was a fan of the size of classic ones. The poor plastic one from skull pass looks puny next to the more substantial river ones.

HEY everyone, new to this forum, so i hope you dnt mind me jumping in onto page 13, as i dont know where 2.0 starts or honestly dont really have the time to read 13 ages for now (English is hard for me, it takes me a very long time to read), also hope you dont mind if i talk tactics here (if there is another spot for tactics let me know).

I've had the idea of running Endless Spell heavy list, 3 Shamans and 1 Fungle Shaman is my norm, i have the general 2-3 60man blocks, i also love the fantastic's and Mangler Squig.  So my i'm liking the Gemini, Shackles, Vortex, and Swords. 

I have 2 questions to discuss 

1) What are in your opinion the best 4 endless spells for a Moonclan army?

2) Should i go more MW spells and use my goblins as tie up units, or should i go more support, walls, shackles, maelstrom, etc..., or keep doing what im doing and do a mix? 

6 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

I've had the idea of running Endless Spell heavy list, 3 Shamans and 1 Fungle Shaman is my norm, i have the general 2-3 60man blocks, i also love the fantastic's and Mangler Squig.  So my i'm liking the Gemini, Shackles, Vortex, and Swords. 

Welcome to the forum!  I run similar lists and came up with the same endless spell short list too.  Also curious on others thoughts.

Vortex works great for the moonclan shaman’s chain lighting spell.  The extra spell it gives sort of demands an endless spell because I’m not happy with the new mystic shield although theoretically it should work well on the big 60 model grot units, I just don’t recall rolling a lot of  1s last game.

Gemini seem like would really help our army and is my #2 after Vortex.

I also really like the idea of shackles but many say cogs are great for destruction and they seem almost opposite but could be complimentary.

Swords seem like would be good against chaos (5+ to mortal wound) but not sure if with it against other armies.

On a side note, I’ve been having second thoughts on fanatics given these new spell options.  Great tactically to disrupt a charge but I’m sort of okay with the big grot units receiving a charge.

8 minutes ago, michu said:

First one is definitely Fungoid Cave Shaman, but second one is different enough that we can speculate it's plastic regular moonclan shaman.

well according to the file name they where both concept design for the fungoid shaman (you can tell because the second picture has the design for the staff that they eventually used for the model)

still though the fact that they showed concept art for Moonclan make me think they are teasing us or something

1 hour ago, Yokai said:

Finally a new Moonclan grot! (from today's Nightvault preview)

image.png.070d09549d95a02be699aaaf18aa9783.png

Man I really dig that helmet and the fact he has an open mushroom grill on his back.

I think if they can cast spells and cost around the same as other warbands they have their uses

even if the warband rules aren't that great you could probably use this guy as a regular grot shaman or warboss

What if he's some sort of troll handler/feeder? He's got mushroom(s) cooking on his back, and a long stick to deliver them with. He's also heavily armoured, perhaps to protect him from getting squashed from the beast(s) he's poking forward? 

Just a thought ;)

4 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Oh wow nice! Cant wait to see what he does

I've got a feeling he's some kind of battle wizard since every warband in Nightvault is supposed to have a wizard, it's a completely different direction from the fungoid cave-shaman if it is but I think it'd be cool to have some variety with the spell casters. Maybe he focuses more on buffing monsters and squigs and burning things with his brand.

Man if this Moonclan warband consist of squigs, a troggoth and gobbos, this is probably the most diverse and wacky squad for Warhammer quest yet. it almost makes me think that Moonclan are getting two warbands.

honestly I hope they make more of those armor grots with those helmets, they look so awesome and I would like to see a visor down version of them.

Archived