AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

28 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

They could be making a Legions of Nagash style book

Maybe its me finally drowning in cynicism, but I don't think they're making anymore LON style books. The moonclan/fungoid grot book methinks will only be moonclan/fungoid. Some other units like troggoths may be getting rolled in, but I think for example gitmob grots may be left out entirely.

I mean they didn't even put in dark elf assassins, who used to be khaine worshipers, into the daughters of khaine book!

I do hope I'm wrong, but as time goes on and the lack of other "LON" books being released/rumored makes me think worst case.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to go with a new troll unit with moonclan allegiance since there so much shroom and fungus on it.  Though it be cool if the battletome gave them a synergetic way to use trolls outside of allies.

if they did row them in with moonclan someone going to run double troggoth hags I bet with artifacts.

If they don’t reuse the Legions of Nagash book template at some point down the road for a lot of the various allegiances floating around the grand alliances then GW is just plain dumb.

That is a simple and elegant template to handle so many things such as Skaven, Orcs & Goblins, Ogres, elves, dwarfs, humans, etc.

41 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

This might not even be a new type of troll. This may just be the direction they want to take with a resculpt of one of the troll subtypes that is still resin - like Sourbreath.  It does seem like a new type of troll to me, but you never know.

One of the most interesting things about this model is the change in troll proportions.  Previously trolls all had thin torsos and big fat waists and a gut.  This guy has a thin waist and a big muscular upper torso.  Trolls have always had distinctly big noses and elephant ears.  This guy shares that, but they sculpted it in a noticeably distinct way compared to the old trolls or even the plastic Fellwater trolls.  I like this new look though.

Regardless of what this is - I am buying a bunch.

I REALLY like the underlying creature design. The head is great!!!

What completely kills it for me is the mutated proportions... Rando mushrooms can be cut off but that would take serious work to bring those back to a reasonable symetrical lvl. 

Huge Trogg fan and I too love the current sourbreath designs but the mutated proportions just destroy it for me. 

Damn.... ?

I'm pretty let down by this.  Hope for rest of range. ?

2 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

I'm pretty let down by this.  Hope for rest of range. ?

Be prepared to be let down. So far we have 2 super shroom models. My guess is the entire moonclan range will be shroom mutated except for the current stuff. 

Shroom trolls, maybe shroom squigs, maybe more shroom grots too. Then shroom monsters

3 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Be prepared to be let down. So far we have 2 super shroom models. My guess is the entire moonclan range will be shroom mutated except for the current stuff. 

Shroom trolls, maybe shroom squigs, maybe more shroom grots too. Then shroom monsters

I'm smelling a "yo dawg! We heard you like shrooms with yo Grots!" Meme. ?

I dont mind the shroom infestation. I like the idea of a monstrous cave critter living underground that shrooms have started growing on its back... but imo, they could of dialed down the mutation a bit... 

Destruction, not Chaos and all that. Heh. 

Still excited for the whole reveal though. 

"Grain of salt"

-Heard there are two more of these slightly less mutated.-

31 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Maybe its me finally drowning in cynicism, but I don't think they're making anymore LON style books. The moonclan/fungoid grot book methinks will only be moonclan/fungoid. Some other units like troggoths may be getting rolled in, but I think for example gitmob grots may be left out entirely.

I mean they didn't even put in dark elf assassins, who used to be khaine worshipers, into the daughters of khaine book!

I do hope I'm wrong, but as time goes on and the lack of other "LON" books being released/rumored makes me think worst case.

well I guess will see if the Beatmen rumor are true since that been theorized to be a somewhat LON style book

As for the Troggoth sculpt I think the ETB quality shows a little bit but I actually like the derpiness of the model and the cartoony nature kind of grow on me. 

43 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

If they don’t reuse the Legions of Nagash book template at some point down the road for a lot of the various allegiances floating around the grand alliances then GW is just plain dumb.

That is a simple and elegant template to handle so many things such as Skaven, Orcs & Goblins, Ogres, elves, dwarfs, humans, etc.

Agreed, it is simple and elegant. But this is GW we're talking about. They don't act rational many a times.

How come they're eager to publish multiple books that these days are not really usable outside of narrative roleplaying (realm gate wars, firestorm, malign portents) yet can't be bothered to fix skaven (giving a half baked battletome, that some argue is worse than GA: Chaos and Nurgle Allegiance). How come they FAQ'd the entire War of Souls box to be 100% LON compatible, yet they let Greenskins or Gutbusters rot in allegianceless lists. How come they bothered to make "Warhammer Legends" list for Dark Elves, but not actually make a Matched Play AOS theme appropriate version to combine darklings, order serpentis, scourge privateers, and shadowblades.

13 minutes ago, novakai said:

well I guess will see if the Beatmen rumor are true since that been theorized to be a somewhat LON style book

As for the Troggoth sculpt I think the ETB quality shows a little bit but I actually like the derpiness of the model and the cartoony nature kind of grow on me. 

I do admit I am somewhat hopeful Darkoath could be bigger than simply markless mortals, which may include beastmen and chaos dwarfs. Though Chaos sometimes only half counts since they have the "everyone with Mark X" blanket. They have great large armies no doubt, but Slaves to Darkness models don't get reprinted in their books so its partially a LON situation with them. Especially since they really haven't overhauled rulewise many of their legacy slaves to darkness units.

I know I am deviating quite a bit from Moonclan, but I am very sure Moonclan will be Moonclan, give or take a few easy to slip in units like Troggoths, I can't see them being a bigger book. Unless the rumors of the grot sky pirates that rival kharadron is true which is a very different theme to fungoid grots.

Imo it's going to be a clean way for them to discontinue the old "troggoths" and bring them into a more complete army.

It adds a strong thematic unit type which moonclan is currently lacking while also getting rid of one of the random extra tiny allegiances, which don't actually work, without killing them off or expanding them.

Destruction at the moment has 5 factions, ironjawz, bonesplitterz, gutbusters, moonclan and beastclaw. Everything else is filler rules for me models.

My guess, based on this, is that we will get a general grand alliance update over the next two years which merges or does away with those tiny factions. Predictions on results.

Moonclan (troggoths added)

Bonesplitterz (spiderfang added)

Ironjawz (with bits of greenskinz)

Skypirates (replacing gitmob and greenskinz)(maybe with gutbusters)

Gutbusters (with the random ogros)

Beastclaw

That only leaves the gargants spare and they work well as they are. We would then have 6 fleshed out allegiances which each has a distinctive them and style. Additionally it frees up GA design space for other things. 

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

Imo it's going to be a clean way for them to discontinue the old "troggoths" and bring them into a more complete army.

It adds a strong thematic unit type which moonclan is currently lacking while also getting rid of one of the random extra tiny allegiances, which don't actually work, without killing them off or expanding them.

I am still skeptical that they are going to go this route.  I think that if they were going to drop a lot of those small allegiances from the game or roll them into other allegiances then they would have done so when AoS2 and the 2018 General's Handbook came out.  That was the logical time to do so.  Now, that does not mean that they won't do it in the future, but they seem to have slowed quite a bit in regards to dropping old stuff.

I can see GW eventually getting rid of the resin troll models, but I don't see them dropping the plastic River Trolls (fellwater) anytime soon.  But, they did seem to roll Malignants into the Legion of Nagash & NightHaunt books - so it is possible that they do this for Troggoths also.  I could see GW sprinkling Trolls around the various grot & orc allegiances.  I guess we will have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

Yeah, this does not surprise me at all.  GW's MO for Age of Sigmar has been to mine up stuff from old-school Warhammer Fantasy pick a strong visual theme or two and then dial it up to 11.  Night Goblins have always had a big fluff emphasis on fungus and small mushrooms have been a theme throughout the model range.  The Fungoid Shaman was a direct riff on the old fluff that Night Goblin shaman eventually turned into giant magic fungus after they consumed too much rare fungus.  It does not surprise me at all to see GW invest more heavily into the mutated cave fungus theme.  I would also not be surprised to see new squig models have a much stronger fungus theme.  They were always meant to be animal-fungus hybrid monsters.  Some of the older squig models had little mushrooms sprouting from them so I would not at all be surprised to see them run with that idea if they make a plastic kit.  Honestly, it would give a stronger visual theme than the old beloved bouncing pac-man mouth monsters.

4 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I really like the new Troggoth except for the way too small legs. Cartoonish, zany and a boarder line silly fits Moonclan. I don't want my Greenskinz this way, but I'll accept it for the Grots.

Never skip leg day! like the poor mantic trolls?

Anyways I don't mind all the fungus among us, but would it kill GW to finally make a plastic Squig unit? Seriously they have been apart of fantasy and 40k since almost day one, been present on numerous models from squig riders to warboss pets, yet don't have their own plastic unit!

Theres even a new targeting squig on the 40k speedfreak car!

26 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I really like the new Troggoth except for the way too small legs. Cartoonish, zany and a boarder line silly fits Moonclan. I don't want my Greenskinz this way, but I'll accept it for the Grots.

If you look at the silhouette of the fungus troggoth - his overall body is shaped like a large mushroom.  I think the designers altered his proportions compared to other trolls to really add to the fungus-monster theme.

3 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Never skip leg day! like the poor mantic trolls?

Anyways I don't mind all the fungus among us, but would it kill GW to finally make a plastic Squig unit? Seriously they have been apart of fantasy and 40k since almost day one, been present on numerous models from squig riders to warboss pets, yet don't have their own plastic unit!

Theres even a new targeting squig on the 40k speedfreak car!

I've literally held off buying squigs for ~ 5 years because I've been convinced that new plastics must be coming out soon. I really can't fathom a Moonclan release without a full replacement of the existing finecast. They are definitely showing their age at this point and they are so iconic to GW that it would be a massive let down if they were not redone.

2 minutes ago, broche said:

They release bonesplitterz with 3 finecast model (weirnob, wurrog and wardock). Mangler squig is a nice model i don't think it need  rotating IMHO

But what about all the other squigs that have been bouncing around since 6th edition.

4 minutes ago, broche said:

They release bonesplitterz with 3 finecast model (weirnob, wurrog and wardock). Mangler squig is a nice model i don't think it need  rotating IMHO

That was a different time to be fair.  It was still fairly early for Age of Sigmar and they did a number of zero-model releases.  Bonesplitterz, Flesh Eater Court, Beastclaw Raiders, Skaven Pestilens were all battletomes released to pad out the range of armies and use existing kits.

I don’t get the feeling that GW is really going to do that anymore unless it is an anthology book.

I would be very surprised to not see plastic squigs.

3 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Well well well you can take back what I said about no LON style books in the foreseeable future with Beasts of Chaos coming out. Theres hope for Destruction yet.

Are they unifying into a single army or do we think it will still have warherds/brayherd allegiances etc.

6 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Well well well you can take back what I said about no LON style books in the foreseeable future with Beasts of Chaos coming out. Theres hope for Destruction yet.

Yep LoN style...mixing Tzaangors with Bray and Dragon Ogors. About as chaotic as its grand alliance 

I'm calling it now: this book will combine Brayherds, Warherds, Thunderscorn, and Monsters of Chaos. That will add chariots (part of current Brayherds), Centigors, Razorgors, Jabberslythe, Chimeras, and Cockatrice from MOC  (implied because Chaos War Hounds are pictured),  & Doombulls  from Warherds (Bullgors already pictured). Add to that Tzaangors, TZ Shamen, TZ Skyfires and Enlightened (if they get the full set), and you have an army with lots of bash, speed, ambush, ranged and magic. This will also dramatically clean up the GW website listings and make it easier to collect an army.

17 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

. Add to that Tzaangors, TZ Shamen, TZ Skyfires and Enlightened (if they get the full set), and you have an army with lots of bash, speed, ambush, ranged and magic.

That sounds too great... I just bought 1k ironjawz army and starting to think in other (the 8th)... please start showing moonclan cause I wanna make a mixed ironjawz+moonclan army...

I'm thinking we might see

• Updated rules for the Tzangors (Unmodified roll of a 6 for example).
  • Some Combined allegiances akin to LoN
  • Updated Warscrolls across the board.
  • Spells available to all BoC allegiances including Warherds/Brayherds/Thunderskorn etc.

I don't think they will remove the warherds/brayherds allegiances that are in the GBH or "Merge" those factions. Like LoN didn't actually override the Soul Blight rules in GBH it just update the warscrolls they use.

If this is what they do honestly makes me really psyched for the destruction one. 

I'm hoping we get a Waaagh! battletome, which updates all the destruction warscrolls, before we get a Moonclan specific book release, though it could easily be the other way round. I do think troggoths will be gone as a faction though, primarily because they have no leader (outside of FW) or battleline and the new Troggoth so perfectly fits into a Shroomclan army.

Looking at the release schedule so far this year we've got (going backwards)

1. Sept - BoC
  2. August - NH/SC
  3. July - NH/SC
  4. June - AoS 2 
  5. May - AoS 2
  6. April - Idoneth
  7. March - DoK
  8. Feb - LoN
  9. Jan - Maggotkin

So based on that it's not unreasonable to guess the following.

1. October - Shadespire 2
  2. November - Moonclan
  3. December - I Dream of the Waaagh!

Archived