AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

I believe that an errata has said "All hit rolls of a 6" means "All hit rolls of a 6+" but I can't find it. Currently anything which doesn't say "unmodified roll of a 6" means 6+.

I'm pretty sure this is backwards.   Hit roll of a 6 means unmodified.  There are/were plenty of pre-existing variants of hit rolls of 6 or more, and other pre-existing cases hit roll of 6 - these both translate pretty easily into the modern 6+ or unmodified 6 paradigm.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm pretty sure this is backwards.   Hit roll of a 6 means unmodified.  There are/were plenty of pre-existing variants of hit rolls of 6 or more, and other pre-existing cases hit roll of 6 - these both translate pretty easily into the modern 6+ or unmodified 6 paradigm.

As I said, I remember seeing something about it in one of the Erratas and went looking for it. Couldn't find it in the newer ones though so...

My understanding of it is that a roll of 6 equals a roll of 1, before modifiers. Meaning positive modifiers benefit the opponent's ability to hit (since they could then hit on rolls below 6, but a natural roll of 6 would still be a 1) - While negative modifiers would be greatly detrimental to their ability to hit at all. 

For example: If you are at 4+ to hit, and receive -2 to hit, you could only hit on a natural roll of 6, which would be a 1, so you can't hit at all.

Am I understanding it correctly? :)

I think that is the case.  The simplest answer is usually the best.  I agree with @amysrevengeand that this ability most likely is meant to convert the die roll of a 6, prior to any modifiers, into a 1.

I think modifiers trigger after that.  I am not sure where rerolls (like reroll 1s) triggers in this.  My suspicion is that rerolls trigger before any dice modification and so a reroll-1s ability would not work for 6s converted into 1s from this ability as that step would be done - but +- abilities would then happen.  But absent clarification I personally would err on the side of letting an opponent reroll the converted 1s if they had an ability to do so.

5 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I think modifiers trigger after that.  I am not sure where rerolls (like reroll 1s) triggers in this.  My suspicion is that rerolls trigger before any dice modification and so a reroll-1s ability would not work for 6s converted into 1s from this ability as that step would be done - but +- abilities would then happen.  But absent clarification I personally would err on the side of letting an opponent reroll the converted 1s if they had an ability to do so.

So if it is "unmodified 6s count as 1s instead" this happens the moment the dice is rolled. Essentially the dice now becomes 1/2/3/4/5/1 in which case yes RR1s would let them reroll it.

If it's 6+ then that's after modifications and no RR1s wouldn't work.

3 hours ago, Malakree said:

So if it is "unmodified 6s count as 1s instead" this happens the moment the dice is rolled. Essentially the dice now becomes 1/2/3/4/5/1 in which case yes RR1s would let them reroll it.

If it's 6+ then that's after modifications and no RR1s wouldn't work.

Yes, the best way to handle it would be to physically flip each 6 over to a 1, and then proceed with rerolls and/or modifiers as if they had come up 1s on their own.

38 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Yes, the best way to handle it would be to physically flip each 6 over to a 1, and then proceed with rerolls and/or modifiers as if they had come up 1s on their own.

Build custom dice that goes 1,1,2,3,4,5 and give them to the opponent whenever they want to attack the warboss :D

"You're gonna need these if you want to attack my dude." 

Quick question, in the middle of putting a bunch of grots together.

How do you typically run units of moonclan grots? Spears or stabbas? I assume bows are out of the question since they don't improve at all from unit size. Is the rule of thumb the same as with clanrats that if you take blobs of 40+, go spear, but if you go smaller blobs of 20, then swords are the best bet? 

Thanks ;)

Hi guys,

I have just played my first two games with Moonclan against Idoneths, and guess what, I managed win them both! It was a 1000pts game. And I have to say, that Colossal Squig is so strong... it basically carried me in both games. Also... don’t forget, that Squigs have two wounds ?.  Fanatics are also amazing and so much fun to use.  

The list I played with:

Leader, general - Fungoid Cave-Shaman (Battlebrew, Doppelganger Cloak)

Moonclan Grot Shaman

Colossal Squig

10 Cave Squigs (I dont know, if it is better to go for one unit of 10 or two units of 5, tried both and both worked well)

2 Herders

40 Moonclan Grots (Spears, Nets)

3 Fanatics

Aethervoid Pendulum (It did almost nothing, but maybe it was just me using it badly)

Perhaps I could write a battle report if anyone wanted me to.

5 minutes ago, gnorel said:

Hi guys,

I have just played my first two games with Moonclan against Idoneths, and guess what, I managed win them both! It was a 1000pts game. And I have to say, that Colossal Squig is so strong... it basically carried me in both games. Also... don’t forget, that Squigs have two wounds ?.  Fanatics are also amazing and so much fun to use.  

The list I played with:

Leader, general - Fungoid Cave-Shaman (Battlebrew, Doppelganger Cloak)

Moonclan Grot Shaman

Colossal Squig

10 Cave Squigs (I dont know, if it is better to go for one unit of 10 or two units of 5, tried both and both worked well)

2 Herders

40 Moonclan Grots (Spears, Nets)

3 Fanatics

Aethervoid Pendulum (It did almost nothing, but maybe it was just me using it badly)

Perhaps I could write a battle report if anyone wanted me to.

I'm pretty sure you can only have one artefact my man either battle brew or doppelganger cloak, but I'm glad you did well in your list, the fungoid command ability on a colossal squig is huge especially if you have three command points spare, because that means you can move them with the allegiance ability if you get a good roll, then use your command ability colossal squig which let's you run and charge, then you get a 4d6 for your standard movement and with the second command point you can add 6" to that so 4d6+6" then in charge you can get another 12" and have the chance to re roll it too if you have that third command point so that is a potential of 42" move turn 1 

5 minutes ago, Critch93 said:

I'm pretty sure you can only have one artefact my man either battle brew or doppelganger cloak, but I'm glad you did well in your list, the fungoid command ability on a colossal squig is huge especially if you have three command points spare, because that means you can move them with the allegiance ability if you get a good roll, then use your command ability colossal squig which let's you run and charge, then you get a 4d6 for your standard movement and with the second command point you can add 6" to that so 4d6+6" then in charge you can get another 12" and have the chance to re roll it too if you have that third command point so that is a potential of 42" move turn 1 

Well, sorry... I meant Bellowing Tyrant, I am so stupid ? and I am pretty sure, that fungoid ability can be used only on grots/orcs? But I was able to get charge 1st turn even without that. Event though in the first game I failed it two times (8 inch charge) and lost all my grots to battleshock, because I wasted CP on that reroll .

So that means Bellowing Tyrant + Doppelganger for Fungoid. I hope it finally makes some sense. Also... we were not entirely sure how Doppelganger works. For example: when he would charge the shaman he could not attack it in melee? That seems super strong. Or do I always have to attack when I can?

If he charges me, than he can attack me after I attack him. But this also means that I could probably just negate his attack if I had more units fighting than him. Because he would have to activate the unit that charged the shaman, but he would still be invisible, so he couldn’t actually attack him? And after his combat I would have to attack, which would disable Doppleganger. Is that right? 

@Critch93 Yeah that makes sense, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that didnt see, thats for the upcoming Warhammer Underworlds. This is possibly good and bad.

On one hand, warhammer shadespire units are based off of existing units. So Fungoid Troggoths are basically confirmed. On the other hand the Shadespire units as actual AoS unique units are near useless outside of point fillers, or just using them as part of a larger unit to make more model variety.

Also I was there at the opening of the citadel! Boy it was hot though. To be expected, I am actually a north dallas area local.

20 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

For those that didnt see, thats for the upcoming Warhammer Underworlds. This is possibly good and bad.

On one hand, warhammer shadespire units are based off of existing units. So Fungoid Troggoths are basically confirmed. On the other hand the Shadespire units as actual AoS unique units are near useless outside of point fillers, or just using them as part of a larger unit to make more model variety.

Also I was there at the opening of the citadel! Boy it was hot though. To be expected, I am actually a north dallas area local.

Would be pretty cool if that is the hero of the set. 

Noeth dallas eh? Make it to Wargames Con last weekend?

41 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So it confirms that troggoths are getting rolled into moonclan which is actually really cool.

I'm glad that they are going with the shroom theme, it's really cool and sets them apart from other armies.

Don’t think I would say it is quite confirmed that trolls are being rolled into Moonclan.  They could be making a Legions of Nagash style book and adding new units to it.  Or this could be a single new troll unit that will have a Moonclan allegiance.  It might even be a weird unique mutated character troll.

All that said, my guess is that this will be a Moonclan troll unit and the rest of the troll allegiance will stay separate.  But honestly it can be tough to predict exactly what GW is doing for AoS anymore.

All that said, I like how this guy looks.

This might not even be a new type of troll. This may just be the direction they want to take with a resculpt of one of the troll subtypes that is still resin - like Sourbreath.  It does seem like a new type of troll to me, but you never know.

One of the most interesting things about this model is the change in troll proportions.  Previously trolls all had thin torsos and big fat waists and a gut.  This guy has a thin waist and a big muscular upper torso.  Trolls have always had distinctly big noses and elephant ears.  This guy shares that, but they sculpted it in a noticeably distinct way compared to the old trolls or even the plastic Fellwater trolls.  I like this new look though.

Regardless of what this is - I am buying a bunch.

Archived