AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

9 minutes ago, Edwang said:

bats?

That’s fair.  But the counterpoint is that bats don’t live deep in caves.  They nest in caverns close to the surface and hunt outside.

Moonclan goblins do raid outside their caverns, but for the most part they live fairly deep in them.  Squigs have also always been mentioned as strange beasts from the deepest caves.  The goblins prod them outside of the caves, where they don’t want to be, and the strange environment and bright lights enrage them.

They could make some sort of flying unit, but to me it would feel fairly out of place.  I don’t think Moonclan needs flying units, but other opinions may differ.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see a Moonclan endless spell echo some of the random distances that the army favours.

EG, the player that controls the predatory nature of it, chooses the direction it faces each round, but at the start of each player's turn they roll 2D6" for the distance it travels that turn or something to that effect.

6 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

That’s fair.  But the counterpoint is that bats don’t live deep in caves.  They nest in caverns close to the surface and hunt outside.

Moonclan goblins do raid outside their caverns, but for the most part they live fairly deep in them.  Squigs have also always been mentioned as strange beasts from the deepest caves.  The goblins prod them outside of the caves, where they don’t want to be, and the strange environment and bright lights enrage them.

They could make some sort of flying unit, but to me it would feel fairly out of place.  I don’t think Moonclan needs flying units, but other opinions may differ.

I believe that you are over thinking it. There are flying sharks, turtles and eels. Flying dwarves with giant metal balloons fighting chaos dragons. The setting could accommodate our Squig-Zubats! I expect that subterranean areas are going to be dialed up to an 11 like everything else in the setting, with all sorts of massive caverns, complexes and life that doesn't translate logically to the real world.

13 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

You know the Squig Gobba from forge world?  Make it plastic and make it good.  There’s a nice fluffy artillery unit right off the bat.

Better than they already made it? Have you checked the new updated warscroĺl? Compared to the Ironblaster it is fantastic!!!! And as a pure warmachine, it does not take  behemot slots...

11 hours ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Better than they already made it? Have you checked the new updated warscroĺl? Compared to the Ironblaster it is fantastic!!!! And as a pure warmachine, it does not take  behemot slots...

My big issue is that it lacks rend which means your only getting a small amount of damage through most of the time.

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

My big issue is that it lacks rend which means your only getting a small amount of damage through most of the time.

That depends upon the target units you attack, but yes the main weakness for this unit is the lack of rend.

Don’t overlook its melee profile.  It can fight pretty good and it is more durable than other grot artillery since it does not have vulnerable crew.  

I’m not sure I would treat this model as a pure artillery piece.  I think it is a second wave midfield unit that follows the grots & provides ranged support.  And then it either counter charges the enemy or attacks vulnerable targets.

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

I guess my main feeling is I'd rather have 2 rocklobbers at 200 points than a squig gobba at 160.

If you are using your allies slots it is a solid choice though.

Personally i dont think rock lobbers are worth it now with the -1 vs characters.

2 hours ago, Donal said:

Personally i dont think rock lobbers are worth it now with the -1 vs characters.

Even against normal units I would still rather have them than a squig gobba, for character sniping the Spear Chukkas are way better tho. 

Actually spear chukkas are really solid now because their +1 for targeting heroes nicely counters the look out sir, then the reroll for having 2 is fantastic.

I think it's a great opportunity to introduce some of the quality of life things that are largely absent from the GA currently:

- Deep striking (emerge from the shadows / a cloud of spores)

- Summoning (spores from Colossal is a good start - more of that please)

- Redeploying out of combat without retreating (move under cover of the black moon)

- Deployable scenery (love the giant mushroom idea)

- Prayers (no thematic reason for this one, just because they are a really strong game mechanic.  DOK worship a God who doesn't even exist but they still get prayers.  They pray to Morathi's Cauldron?  OK whatever.  I want them too)

Also someone mentioned on here a while ago about stealing your opponent's command points which I thought was a neat idea, and suitably sneaky.  

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

Even against normal units I would still rather have them than a squig gobba, for character sniping the Spear Chukkas are way better tho. 

Actually spear chukkas are really solid now because their +1 for targeting heroes nicely counters the look out sir, then the reroll for having 2 is fantastic.

Yeah i agree. Though i also like doom divers now. they have better range and the redirect means that you have a decent shot of hitting characters who have -2/-3 to hit. Plus d6 damage is a great threat to your opponent.

That said, I've recently forgone any artillery and replaced it with a hag :D

6 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

I think it's a great opportunity to introduce some of the quality of life things that are largely absent from the GA currently:

- Deep striking (emerge from the shadows / a cloud of spores)

- Summoning (spores from Colossal is a good start - more of that please)

- Redeploying out of combat without retreating (move under cover of the black moon)

- Deployable scenery (love the giant mushroom idea)

- Prayers (no thematic reason for this one, just because they are a really strong game mechanic.  DOK worship a God who doesn't even exist but they still get prayers.  They pray to Morathi's Cauldron?  OK whatever.  I want them too)

Also someone mentioned on here a while ago about stealing your opponent's command points which I thought was a neat idea, and suitably sneaky.  

Love these ideas @PlasticCraic Prayer wise, there is no reason why we couldn't pray to the bad moon.

I'd love to get some/all of these. One day, we'll know whats coming in the book. that will be a great day :D

As I mentioned in the wishlist post, prayers are simply a type of mechanic and you don't need to use them to represent some form of divine magic.  I would still like to see a fungus gatherer character that has both friendly buff prayers and offensive debuff prayers representing strange fungus concoctions.  A sort of weird moonclan grot alchemist who specializes in cultivating, gathering, and brewing strange fungus.  I think that character would be useful, thematic, and fun.

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

As I mentioned in the wishlist post, prayers are simply a type of mechanic and you don't need to use them to represent some form of divine magic.  I would still like to see a fungus gatherer character that has both friendly buff prayers and offensive debuff prayers representing strange fungus concoctions.  A sort of weird moonclan grot alchemist who specializes in cultivating, gathering, and brewing strange fungus.  I think that character would be useful, thematic, and fun.

I love this....with racks of btooles and mortar and pestles and all the gubbins. Like the 40k death guard character....but small and insane!!! 

10 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is Clans?

Equivalent to Skyports / Temples...basically free stuff.  I'd like some free stuff please.

Nighthaunt seems to have built a pretty good book that leaves it out, but in general it fits pretty well with Orcs & Goblins.  I very much think that Ironjawz & Bonesplitters should be moved to using that format for their clans.  For moonclan I think it could be neat, but I would be ok without it.  I have always viewed Night Goblins as fairly uniform even if in the past they did occupy various holds and have distinct tribes/warbands (Redeye, Crooked Moon, Bloody Spear, etc).  But I am sure that there would be a moonclan tribe that specialized in squigs vs another that had lots of shaman or just lots of grot hordes.

Yeah you're right. I think Nurgle likewise have a top tier book without them...like you said though, I think they'll work really well with Moonclan. 

And I think that's true, 100% if Bonesplitterz book came out tomorrow the Drakkfoot, Bonegrinz etc would be "pick a Warclan you belong to and please paint them that way...but you don't have to".  Similar to the Ironjawz,  with things like Da Bloodtoofs etc.  I think it would be a really good fit for various flavours of orcs and goblins, Moonclan included.

When you break the Bonesplitterz clans down, it's pretty straightforward stuff.  This is the full on horde one, this is the extra magic one, this is the one with better cav.

But they wrap it up with some great lore, give a couple of rules to each one that are really thematic, and add some strong hooks for hobby (I've seen some awesome ice-themed Icebonez armies, with the ice weapons, blue orcs etc).  

It's something GW always does such a great job of, and a big part of what gets a lot of us on the hook in the first place.  I'd love to see what they do with Moonclan, the sky is the limit.

Personally I feel like moonclan shouldn't have "clans", actually they are the one destruction faction I think shouldn't.

I say this because Moonclan are already a subfaction of the broader "grots" in much the same way that the various mortal Chaos Gods factions are actually subfactions of the broader "slaves to darkness". There shouldn't be a "Squig Hopper" focused clan for example, moonclan are the Squig focused version of Gitmob.

What I think might be interesting though is to have several different types of squig, then you pick one of the "breeds" to be the type your army uses. So you could choose "Spore Squig" for example, then any unit which has the Keyword Squig gets the -1 to hit. That could be a very fun and interesting way to have some variety without breaking the homogeneity that moonclan have over the rest of destruction.

Not sure I agree with that @Malakree, I think they are very analogous to Bonesplitterz in that sense.  They in turn are a subfaction of the broader "orcs", but they have clans focussing on difference aspects of what defines them:

Numberless Horde aspect --> Bonegrinz ---> Could easily have a Moonclan equivalent with free summoning 

Magic aspect --> Drakkfoot ---> Moonclan focus would be on the greatest Mushroom cultivators, who get bonuses to using whatever Mushroom effects they come up with (and / or access to extra ones entirely)

Cavalry focus --> Icebonez ---> Moonclan focus would be the tribe that breeds the hardiest squigs (and all Squigs get +1 to their save for example)

It doesn't all have to be a one to one mapping, that's just off the top of my uncreative head...Other aspects that they could pick up on are sneaky aspect (stealing enemy command points), Black Moon aspect (moving under cover of darkness) and so on.

Personally I think it would work really well.

8 minutes ago, Scythian said:

What word, if any, do we have on the next battletomes coming out? Is Moonclan on the docket for this year?

Rumours are September / October.  From usually-reliable sources...but still just rumours at this stage!

Hopefully not too far away though.

Archived