AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, Shankelton said:

Any chance you could explain how you did the conversion? Love it!

Morning all and Merry Grotmas!!

It's kind of simple. I clip the feet off a body and cut the knee at a 45 degree angle. I glue the feet back on pointed down and backwards and wide enough to make it look like the goblins are straddling the Spider.

The bases are the oval ones with the leaves from the tree kit as the ground. Simple!

After that I just make sure the posts are different. I have a hero on a giant spider and shaman also (use the rules for the wolf mount).

Next project is a matching colossal spider and mangled spiders. I bet on them bringing all the goblins together. 

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am assuming that the fungi troggoths are going to be dankhold troggoths like the new warband for Underworlds. 

Is there really a demand for a fourth troggoth type in AoS?

Don't know if I will be surprised or disappointed if the scutterlings from WQ and the mushroom and squigs from the new warband don't get new kits.

Overall, great teaser today,  but little less excited about the release if it turns into another combo book.  Hopefully the reveals tomorrow will be awesome. 

17 minutes ago, Equinox said:

I am assuming that the fungi troggoths are going to be dankhold troggoths like the new warband for Underworlds. 

Is there really a demand for a fourth troggoth type in AoS?

Don't know if I will be surprised or disappointed if the scutterlings from WQ and the mushroom and squigs from the new warband don't get new kits.

Overall, great teaser today,  but little less excited about the release if it turns into another combo book.  Hopefully the reveals tomorrow will be awesome. 

It's really not as much about "is their room for a 4th troggoth" as it is " we want to eventually get rid of these old ones and we want to make new ones that fit the aesthetic for this army " 

27 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

It's really not as much about "is their room for a 4th troggoth" as it is " we want to eventually get rid of these old ones and we want to make new ones that fit the aesthetic for this army " 

This is probably the case.

It would be pretty magical if GW flexed their creative plastic model kit makin skills and figured out how to make a single kit that could make all of the troll subtypes.  

39 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

This is probably the case.

It would be pretty magical if GW flexed their creative plastic model kit makin skills and figured out how to make a single kit that could make all of the troll subtypes.  

To echo this even further I suspect in the next 5ish years all finecast and metal units will either be updated with a plastic (think fiends and hounds) or phased out the of the game through points (most of the death finecast)

That leaves 2 troll units new ones and river... quite different and both fit.

1 minute ago, Skabnoze said:

Ummm now?

I have wanted to build one for quite a while but they structured the allegiance in such a way that you can’t do it since there is no way to get Troggoth Battleline.

Just hoping that we get a Troggoth hero and some battleline if in the new battletome, rather like Dragonogres in BoC.  

33 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

To echo this even further I suspect in the next 5ish years all finecast and metal units will either be updated with a plastic (think fiends and hounds) or phased out the of the game through points (most of the death finecast)

That leaves 2 troll units new ones and river... quite different and both fit.

Honestly, when it comes to game mechanics I would not mind if GW just consolidated all troggoths into a single profile or put more effort into distinguishing them if they are going to keep multiples.

Aesthetically and thematically I like all of the trolls.  But when it comes to their current rules, or even the old Fantasy Battles rules, they are just too close together in functionality.  They have the same basic stat profile (although in AoS they did add a point of armor to Stone Trolls) and the addition of a single special ability.  That would be fine if the special rule differentiated their battlefield role.  But sadly each rule is just some variation of increased durability.

The result is that with so many different protective variations there is bound to be a winner and a loser.  I would prefer that they differentiate them a bit more if they keep the various types.

The overall aesthetic of the new army points to a very interesting concept, non-Chaos mutants. It's a pretty big deal for the overall background ideas.

Key takeaways so far

New Name - This suggests that it'll be familiar but reinvented background fluff.

Spiderfang and Moonclan combining - Seems that one release covers both types of Grot, and possibly the war machines as well. They clearly want to have a single, fluffy army choice that embraces the prior armies that keeps the most popular kits in use, whilst discarding the older ones.

Large number of discontinued miniatures - Some will be reboxes, the main Moonclan grot box is unlikely to be replaced but will get the new identity printed on it. Older miniatures like the trolls and mangler squigs are clearly pointing at a replacement set.

Skarsnik's still being sold! Hopefully we'll see a similar idea resurface!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived