AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 hours ago, Milandro said:

So I’m just getting into Age of Sigmar. I’m hoping on some advice on what to get next? And where to start when it comes to a 1k list. 

I know that what’s next for grots seems unclear but any advice would be appreciated. I have:

Warboss with Moonprodder and squig (Skarsnick)

warboss with dual cutters

warboss with shield

fungoid shaman

shaman 

40 poking spears grots

20 grots in a box not assembled 

6 fanatics 

hi welcome to grots you have a good starting range of models. I would suggest from here getting another shaman as they are so cheap and effective and another dispel, and you can never have too many grots. Having a few units works quite well- have some minimum size units with bows to hold objectives and do nothing else then get a big horde of 6o preferably with spears and shields to charge up and shield your magic. That way you have a big unit advancing up the field which the opponent needs to deal with but its also durable due to shield spells and inspiring prescence, meaning your fanatics can get in and kill stuff and your wizards get to have a lot of magic. Don't be afraid to retreat and then charge or bait your oppenent so their faster units are exposed as 60 grots in a long line can do a surprising amount of damage when buffed appropriately. You need a speedy element for maneuvrability purposes in any army imo so allying in some spiderfang riders is quite interesting and adds more mortal wounds. A tactic I often use is to have my general or some wizards in a vulnerable mob of grots in the centre of the board then when the enemy closes in for the kill I release 6 fanatics and use curse of da bad moon to great effect, combined with arcane bolt and a fungoid cave shaman.

So really for future purchases I recommend more grots as they are the core of your army and you can never have to many, don't build them with bows as moonclan bows are less than useless, and get more wizards and possibly some allies who can supply speed and yet more mortal wounds.

Any other questions don't be afraid to ask.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Petloski said:

YES!

Just saw this, and it now has a ranged attack, AND a -1 to hit in H2H!

I don’t think the feet had rend before, either!

very happy indeed!

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/aos_warscrolls/Downloads-AoS/aos-warscroll-colossal-squig.pdf

Am I correct in thinking the gobba has changed too? It's now a 30" ranged attack, or am I mistaken?

From what I can tell the Moonclan specific Forgeworld Monsters got better - although I think the Gobba did get a slight price increase - wasn't he 140 previously?  But I will take that price increase for the increased range and static number of shots.

Colossal Squig is just flat-out better.  I am glad to see his extremely niche bonus for rolling doubles on charges go away and get replaced by better abilities that actually do something.  I hope that this indicates that the main design team is reworking all of these abilities across the rest of the squig units whenever they release a Moonclan battletome.  I think the intention behind those random abilities was nice, but in practice they trigger so utterly infrequently that you can play the army for a long time and rarely ever get to use them.  I will take fun abilities that I can regularly use any day over great abilities that simply never trigger.

The Rogue Idol seems like he had a net positive change.  The only real nerf he has is the reduced range on the aura for +1 to cast rolls.  But, he still does grant that bonus.  He no longer hurts bravery across the whole army when he dies and his random abilities were replaced by slightly above average flat values.

Troll Hag is roughly the same except that she dropped by 2 wounds and her Bulk attack lost the -1 rend.  But the rest of her abilities are the same and the increase to unbinding range in the core rules makes her spell-spite ability much much nastier.  Hilariously, if you look at her damage profile the last line is completely worthless and unnecessary.  It says wounds-suffered 14+, but she only has 14 wounds so she would be dead at that point.  Oops.

Bonegrinder Gargant is now 400 points and seems to have gained the Aleguzzler keyword - which I think means that he can now be brought as an ally.

I ordered the Moonclan set from FW yesterday. I half expected something to happen to make them worse or near invalid(like Legions of Nagash leaving out the Mourngul). Pleasantly surprised to see that the Colossal Squig and Squigobba actually seem to have gotten better. Now I need an extra unit of squigs to "summon".

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

I ordered the Moonclan set from FW yesterday. I half expected something to happen to make them worse or near invalid(like Legions of Nagash leaving out the Mourngul). Pleasantly surprised to see that the Colossal Squig and Squigobba actually seem to have gotten better. Now I need an extra unit of squigs to "summon".

You can never have too many Squigs.

1 hour ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I think that it is an error. They come with 25mm bases and GW doesn't even sell 32mm slotted rounds in the painting and modeling section.

Turns out it was indeed an error.  They updated the document and Fanatics are back to 25mm.

The office intern strikes again!

So pulled the trigger and picked up some moonclan. What kind of Endless spells do you think they would benefit the most from?

27 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

That might be to prevent people from trying to stick fanatics into it.

How horrifying 

Anyone know how the Destruction Allegiance abilities have changed? I thought they were in the GHB but apparently they're in the Core Book this time, and I only got the GHB (and Malign Sorcery...)

On 6/29/2018 at 5:47 PM, Skabnoze said:

That might be to prevent people from trying to stick fanatics into it.

The Bone giant is awesome 20wounds, good melee attacks decent ranged. Plus he can pile in 6, do mortal wounds and wipe out signal models. However u will won’t to keep he reasonably far from ur most precious units, as he could fall on them when he dies, his attacks r pretty random to.

3 hours ago, mikethefish said:

Is the Bonegrinder Gargant any good?  I was thinking of adding a Rogue Idol, but the new Gargant has me looking closer at that now.

The Bone giant is awesome 20wounds, good melee attacks decent ranged. Plus he can pile in 6, do mortal wounds and wipe out signal models. However u will won’t to keep he reasonably far from ur most precious units, as he could fall on them when he dies, his attacks r pretty random to.

I would not be worried about the Bonegrinder falling over onto Moonclan stuff when he dies - or normal giants for that matter.  Grot armies typically have bodies to spare (just watch out with your heros) and d3 wounds is practically nothing for most Moonclan units.

Yeah the Bonegrinder is an interesting one.

His Bite yer head off has been heavily nerfed, and he lacks heavy rend in combat.

However the pile in 6" thing is massive, as all Yhetee fans can testify!

He is obviously dicey as hell, but could be a decent option as a crowd control combat monster, punching through all kinds of infantry (single wound or multi wound).  He can't really crack tough armour saves so as long as you have a way around that, he has a role.

I've bought one ?

I think he is a bit nastier than you give him credit for.  His ranged attack and stomp have rend 2 and both do d6 wounds.  His club attack is rend 1 with a high volume of attacks and 2 damage per hit.  He should do a fair amount of damage to most units he attacks.  

Also don’t forget his jump up & down ability which inflicts mortal wounds.  It’s not great against single targets but it should hurt most multi model units.

Like all giants he is random, but he still hits pretty damned hard.

On 6/29/2018 at 7:40 AM, Skabnoze said:

Troll Hag is roughly the same except that she dropped by 2 wounds and her Bulk attack lost the -1 rend.  But the rest of her abilities are the same and the increase to unbinding range in the core rules makes her spell-spite ability much much nastier.  Hilariously, if you look at her damage profile the last line is completely worthless and unnecessary.  It says wounds-suffered 14+, but she only has 14 wounds so she would be dead at that point.  

Interesting catch!  I hope it is an error. If not, it implies that regenerated wounds do not compensate for wounds suffered. For example, if heal say 6 wounds over first three rounds, but still ultimately suffer 14 damage, would have 8 wounds left but be at the 14+ wound tier for degraded stats.  I hope it is a weird error not only for her effectiveness but also bookkeeping burden.

8 minutes ago, DrDemento said:

Interesting catch!  I hope it is an error. If not, it implies that regenerated wounds do not compensate for wounds suffered. For example, if heal say 6 wounds over first three rounds, but still ultimately suffer 14 damage, would have 8 wounds left but be at the 14+ wound tier for degraded stats.  I hope it is a weird error not only for her effectiveness but also bookkeeping burden.

Someone else mentioned that it is most likely because she is a hero and can be the general for a grand alliance Destruction list.  That would let you give her the +1 wound command trait which would put her at 15 wounds.

Archived